A compromise for gun control.

12,730 Views | 247 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by eric76
Definitely Not A Cop
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think a great compromise would be requiring 18 months of military service out of HS. Everyone goes through the military evaluation, everyone gets trained in firearms. You still have the only people who are actually going to the frontlines as grunts are the people who were already signing up to do that. Every other kid is put into non-combat roles. They learn discipline, leadership qualities and trade skills like logistics, accounting, etc.

Then everyone who passes the mental eval gets out with a license to operate firearms all the way up to automatic weapons.
AggiePetro07
AG
Other than being unconstitutional, it's stupid.

Keep trying.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
This thread isn't going to go like you think it should.
If you say you hate the state of politics in this nation and you don't get involved in it, you obviously don't hate the state of politics in this nation.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Yes, both sides will hate it. Which is why it's a perfect compromise.
powerbelly
AG
This is a terrible idea. Terrible.
willtackleforfood
AG
Wasn't the Allen shooter discharged from the military?
JohnLA762
AG
Why do you keep posting about automatic weapons? There are so few, they are heavily regulated, and are not responsible for many (if any) mass shootings today?
Htownag11
AG
JohnLA762 said:

Why do you keep posting about automatic weapons? There are so few, they are heavily regulated, and are not responsible for many (if any) mass shootings today?
Except for Las Vegas (unofficially)
TacosaurusRex
No
GeorgiAg
AG
We have decided that a few dead people everyday is worth it so we can have guns. And even if you banned guns tomorrow, it would take years to implement.
CDUB98
AG
no
Rapier108
willtackleforfood said:

Wasn't the Allen shooter discharged from the military?
For mental health problems.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
Pinche Guero
AG
Shall not be infringed, you can't give the left an inch
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
JohnLA762 said:

I never said they were. I'm just saying that you would have the entire law-abiding populace trained to operate automatic weapons.
RoadkillBBQ
lol no.
ChemEAg08
AG
SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

Hth
halfastros81
AG
I'm not saying the OP's idea is a bad one for multiple reasons BUT ever since Vietnam the one thing both parties seem to actually agree on is an all volunteer military , no conscription. Don't see it happening .
sleepybeagle
AG
My father used to walk to school with his 22 and leave it in his school locker.

What's changed?
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
AggiePetro07 said:

Other than being unconstitutional, it's stupid.

Keep trying.

So are most other gun control solutions, that hasn't stopped the people from passing these solutions. And those solutions aren't actually addressing the problems.

This would.
nortex97
AG
Repeal the NFA. It's obviously failed.

That's my compromise offer.
Ag87H2O
AG
The second ammendment is fine just the way it is. Shall not be infringed is perfectly clear. No need to compromise or come up with another plan.

If authorities would enforce the laws that are on the books, a lot of these shootings would never happen.
RoadkillBBQ
GeorgiAg said:

We have decided that a few dead people everyday is worth it so we can have guns. And even if you banned guns tomorrow, it would take years to implement.
That pales in comparison to the tens of millions of unarmed humans killed by their own governments.
JohnLA762
AG
Definitely Not A Cop said:

JohnLA762 said:

I never said they were. I'm just saying that you would have the entire law-abiding populace trained to operate automatic weapons.

Only about 7% of the US populace has served in the military in some capacity. I don't understand what your "compromise" is trying to achieve…
halfastros81
AG
Your father doesn't walk to school anymore?

Sorry, Just clowning
AgNav93
AG
There is no compromising with the left. They are bad faith negotiators. They'll take an inch today and a mile tomorrow. You can't give them that first inch.
TheEternalPessimist

I think a great compromise would be requiring 18 months of military service out of HS. Everyone goes through the military evaluation, everyone gets trained in firearms. You still have the only people who are actually going to the frontlines as grunts are the people who were already signing up to do that. Every other kid is put into non-combat roles. They learn discipline, leadership qualities and trade skills like logistics, accounting, etc.

Then everyone who passes the mental eval gets out with a license to operate firearms all the way up to automatic weapons.
No.

I was medically disqualified from entering service due to childhood asthma.

Are you suggesting that I should not be able to own a gun to defend myself against either criminals OR a tyrannical government?

The Allen shooter was a military veteran btw.
--

"The Kingdom is for HE that can TAKE IT!" - Alexander
RoadkillBBQ

JohnLA762 said:

"Law abiding populace"
There's what you fail to understand. It's already against the law to kill innocent people. Yet the "populace" chooses to do that occasionally.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
JohnLA762 said:

JohnLA762 said:

Only about 7% of the US populace has served in the military in some capacity. I don't understand what your "compromise" is trying to achieve…

You train the entire populace in how to handle weapons. You also teach them discipline, leadership skills, and a trade skill from their MOS. You are able to screen the entire populace for mental health issues, and address them early on. Everyone can leave the military with valuable skills learned, and training allowing them to buy up to an automatic weapon if they choose. The criminals of society now know this as well.
TRX
AG
nortex97 said:

Repeal the NFA. It's obviously failed.

That's my compromise offer.

I second the motion.
FJB
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
Pinche Guero said:

Shall not be infringed, you can't give the left an inch
Even for the mentally ill?
If you say you hate the state of politics in this nation and you don't get involved in it, you obviously don't hate the state of politics in this nation.
Dimebag Darrell
Hell no i am not going through some woke liberal government run conditioning program before I am allowed to purchase a firearm to defend myself or my family.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
TheEternalPessimist said:

No.

I was medically disqualified from entering service due to childhood asthma.

Are you suggesting that I should not be able to own a gun to defend myself against either criminals OR a tyrannical government?

The Allen shooter was a military veteran btw.

That's not what I said. If you have a medical disability preventing you from serving on the front lines, that doesn't mean that they wouldn't still train you in a role that you could serve for them, it would just be in a logistic or business admin role versus combat role. You still receive the same training and discipline, allowing for your disability.

The Allen shooter was discharged from the military for mental health reasons. Per our existing laws, he should not have been able to have the guns he did, unless he has gone through some sort of appeals process we are not aware about so far.
akm91
AG
GeorgiAg said:

So you're going to ban cars now?
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
JohnLA762
AG
So you want us to be China?
Athanasius
AG
I am attracted to the idea of mandatory military service. There are many good reasons to be.

One of the many problems with it, though, is... it's controlled by the government.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.