A compromise for gun control.

12,836 Views | 247 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by eric76
FrioAg 00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I would accept the OP's constitutional amendment IF it was also required to vote
lb3
AG
nortex97 said:

Repeal the NFA. It's obviously failed.

That's my compromise offer.
The NFA allows people to buy fully automatic weapons of war with a $200 stamp. That's less than a Starbucks per week.

Repeal the NFA!
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
JohnLA762 said:

So you want us to be China?

I was thinking more Switzerland, South Korea, etc.
12thMan9
AG
OP knows nothing about the military. He thinks they get gun training all the time.
Ronnie '88
waco_aggie05
AG
JohnLA762 said:

So you want us to be China?
Might as well get it over with. It's happening anyway.
Dimebag Darrell
JohnLA762 said:

Why do you keep posting about automatic weapons? There are so few, they are heavily regulated, and are not responsible for many (if any) mass shootings today?
In the black urban community, modified Glocks w/ switches converting to full auto are pretty prevalent now. Probably contributes to the awful marksmanship and innocent casualties in these gangland style shootouts we see today.

Alost every rap song talks about them, and on social media you see tons of videos of "youths" flaunting Glocks with switch, high capacity mags and green beams...and nothing ever happens to them, even thought hey are committing serious felonies.
fka ftc
Do the Russians still send their youth to summer military camp?
"The absence of the word accountability is not the same as wanting no accountability" -unknown

"You can never go wrong by staying silent if there is nothing apt to say" -Walter Isaacson
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
12thMan9 said:

OP knows nothing about the military. He thinks they get gun training all the time.

You would agree that they get much more training than your average citizen, correct?

If more people were required to handle and use guns, there would be a lot less fear around guns in the first place.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
How about we do the easiest part first? Let's have the Democrats stop preaching hate and division.
GeorgiAg
AG
RoadkillBBQ said:

GeorgiAg said:

We have decided that a few dead people everyday is worth it so we can have guns. And even if you banned guns tomorrow, it would take years to implement.
That pales in comparison to the tens of millions of unarmed humans killed by their own governments.

A lot of people die from cars. We accept that as a necessary part of our society.

The only thing that would "work" would be a total ban on all guns after a decade of strict enforcement. Many murders occur with handguns and regular rifles and shotguns. We are never going to put up with a total ban or door to door enforcement.

Guns are woven into the fabric of our society. We need to focus on mental illness.
Rockdoc
AG
Nah
SteveA
AG
Quote:

Why do you keep posting about automatic weapons? There are so few, they are heavily regulated, and are not responsible for many (if any) mass shootings today?
Because if you aren't a gun guy, you may not know the difference between semi-automatic and automatic. But feel free to keep condescending if it makes you feel better.
Ellis Wyatt
Read the Consitution.

Why would anyone compromise on an absolute right?
TikkaShooter
Blue star to OP for not fearing the responses to his idea for solving a problem that our politicians won't address.

Don't like the idea, but I can appreciate the effort.
Pinche Guero
AG
Ghost of Andrew Eaton said:

Pinche Guero said:

Shall not be infringed, you can't give the left an inch
Even for the mentally ill?
Its already illegal for the mentally ill to purchase a gun. Laws on gun control only affect people that follow the law.
deddog
AG
Definitely Not A Cop said:

Yes, both sides will hate it. Which is why it's a perfect compromise.
Well played.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
SteveA said:

Quote:

Because if you aren't a gun guy, you may not know the difference between semi-automatic and automatic. But feel free to keep condescending if it makes you feel better.

I do know the difference, the guy just didn't understand my reasoning. I'm well aware that almost zero shootings are happening with automatic weapons. The point is that in countries where most of the citizenry are licensed and trained to use automatic weapons, crime rates are extremely low.
deddog
AG

SteveA said:

Quote:

I do know the difference, the guy just didn't understand my reasoning. I'm well aware that almost zero shootings are happening with automatic weapons. The point is that in countries where most of the citizenry are licensed and trained to use automatic weapons, crime rates are extremely low.
Correlation, not causation?
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
Pinche Guero said:

Ghost of Andrew Eaton said:

Pinche Guero said:

Shall not be infringed, you can't give the left an inch
Even for the mentally ill?
Its already illegal for the mentally ill to purchase a gun. Laws on gun control only affect people that follow the law.
Wait, you said "shall not be infringed". That seems to be an all-or-nothing statement on the part of the Constitution.
If you say you hate the state of politics in this nation and you don't get involved in it, you obviously don't hate the state of politics in this nation.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
SteveA said:

Quote:

Or people could educate themselves a little before trying to remove our rights.
BadMoonRisin
AG
Quote:

A compromise for gun control.

the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

It's not the severity of the punishment that deters crime; it's the certainty of it.
F2Aggie
AG
GeorgiAg said:

We have decided that a few dead people everyday is worth it so we can have guns. And even if you banned guns tomorrow, it would take years to implement.

The federal government banned illegal drugs, and is supposed to be protecting our borders.
How is that going for us?
What leads you to believe they can effectively enforce gun control laws? Heck, half of the country (and half of Congress) do not want to enforce immigration laws.

HowdyTexasAggies
AG

Yes, both sides will hate it. Which is why it's a perfect compromise.

NO
SteveA
AG
Quote:

That is understandable. But conversation instead of condescension may go a long way. Especially on an all AG board.
AggiePetro07
AG

SteveA said:

Quote:

Those are also highly homogenous societies which aren't afraid of "stigmas".

Also, many are shame/honor cultures.

We are none of these.
Cromagnum
AG
Here's my compromise to OP's suggestion.

No.
Maroon Dawn
AG
Here's my compromise we can all support:

Ban all Democrats, Democrat supporters and cultural leftists from possessing fire arms or ammunition

America is now the safest nation on Earth
one safe place

I think a great compromise would be requiring 18 months of military service out of HS. Everyone goes through the military evaluation, everyone gets trained in firearms. You still have the only people who are actually going to the frontlines as grunts are the people who were already signing up to do that. Every other kid is put into non-combat roles. They learn discipline, leadership qualities and trade skills like logistics, accounting, etc.

Then everyone who passes the mental eval gets out with a license to operate firearms all the way up to automatic weapons.
Just how in the polecat hell are we going to pay for this? Where do you plan to house them all? And pay for constructing the housing? Transporting them? Feeding them? Medical costs? Training costs?

It would change nothing. People would still be mentally ill and if they go off the deep end after the mental evaluation, it wouldn't be known about. People would still want to steal. People would still get into conflicts and shoot others. Drugs and gangs and the violence associated with them would still exist.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Ellis Wyatt said:

Read the Consitution.

Why would anyone compromise on an absolute right?

They already are. It happens once every 3 years or so.

This way, you drop the fear of guns in society, you get most trained in using them, you teach trade skills to people who have stopped learning them since public school has gone down the drain, and you have criminals aware that pretty much anyone they are robbing could potentially have an m16 hidden somewhere.
JohnLA762
AG
SteveA said:

Quote:

That is understandable. But conversation instead of condescension may go a long way. Especially on an all AG board.

I literally wanted to know why the OP was so focused on a classification of gun that already has been heavily regulated.

The only "condescension" I see is in your post. It's either that, or blatant ignorance…
atmtws
AG
Just ban democrats from owning guns. Gun violence would almost disappear overnight.
/W\ Saw 'Em Off! /W\
BTHO tu.
Cromagnum
AG
BigHead 04
AG

JohnLA762 said:

I never said they were. I'm just saying that you would have the entire law-abiding populace trained to operate automatic weapons.

Then also please repeal NFA and allow automatic weapons to be available to those that want them.
Compromise right?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Old May Banker
AG
The leftists can compromise with themselves on their own acceptance of degenerate behavior... inanimate objects are completely off the table for me.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
BigHead 04 said:

JohnLA762 said:

I never said they were. I'm just saying that you would have the entire law-abiding populace trained to operate automatic weapons.

Then also please repeal NFA and allow automatic weapons to be available to those that want them.
Compromise right?

I completely agree.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.