Texas House Committee recommends expulsion of Rep. Bryan Slaton (R- Greenville)

6,527 Views | 59 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Schrute Farms
Correction
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Would be the first expulsion in nearly a century.

https://www.texastribune.org/2023/05/06/texas-legislature-bryan-slaton-investigation/
Quote:

A House committee has recommended the expulsion of Republican state Rep. Bryan Slaton after finding he had engaged in inappropriate sexual conduct with an aide, then acted to thwart an investigation into the matter.

A scathing report by the House General Investigating Committee, distributed to House shortly after noon Saturday, found Slaton did not dispute allegations that he had sex with the 19-year-old woman and provided alcohol to her, nor did he express regret or remorse for his conduct. Instead, the report said, Slaton's lawyer argued the complaints should be dismissed because the behavior occurred in Slaton's Austin residence, not the workplace.

The report found Slaton had sex with the 19-year-old staffer in the early hours of April 1 at his apartment in Austin. The aide told the committee Slaton had provided her several drinks of rum and coke and that she consumed "a lot of alcohol" and felt "really dizzy."

Slaton, the report said, attempted to intimidate other young women who worked in the Capitol and became aware of his relationship with the aide.

In one instance, Slaton showed the aide a supposedly anonymous email he had received from someone saying they knew the representative and the aide had sex but that "nothing would happen as long as her and her friends keep quiet." The aide told the committee that she understood the email to be a "threat," but also suspected Slaton may have fabricated the email. She said she believed it was sent from a Slaton Financial Services address, where Slaton works outside the Legislature.
Not a Bot
AG
Just a few observations.

- How much alcohol would it take for a 19-year-old to sleep with a man who is 45 but looks like he is 60? Apparently we just found out.

- He and I may have very different definitions of what constitutes "youth ministry."

- His biography makes me want to fart. Fake family values Christian conservative checks all the boxes. How much you want to bet he would've gladly shipped her to New Mexico for an abortion if needed?
MouthBQ98
AG
That crap might fly in the Democrat party, especially if it means holding into power, but can't do that in the Republican Party. He can be replaced.
YouBet
AG
Would have been celebrated if a Democrat.
Old May Banker
AG
He's getting replaced... been in motion a while.
Correction
When your lawyer's best argument is "sure, my client got his underage intern drunk as hell and banged her, but it was at his apartment, not at the office!" you're probably screwed.

Ellis Wyatt
Adios, mofo. Good for expelling him.
aggielostinETX
AG
Get him out. Easy replacement.
“A republic, if you can keep it”

AggieKatie2 said:
ETX is honestly starting to scare me a bit as someone who may be trigger happy.
Rapier108
Another leftist spike the ball thread, thinking some great victory has been scored.

Of course the OP misses the fact that it is the GOP who voted to expel this guy.

The Democrats would not have expelled one of their own. The GOP cleaned up their own house.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
Ellis Wyatt
Rapier108 said:

Another leftist spike the ball thread, thinking some great victory has been scored.

Of course the OP misses the fact that it is the GOP who voted to expel this guy.

The Democrats would not have expelled one of their own. The GOP cleaned up their own house.
Democrats would be mad he didn't sleep with a pre-teen.
micahb2002
AG
First commandment of politics: thou shalt not put thy rod in thy staff.
Pizza
Rapier108 said:

Lol they don't have any balls to spike.

ETA: And they voted for Pedo Joe, the greatest Potatus in herstory.
Anyone who chooses to ride a bicycle in the street is a threat to themselves, and others. If a vehicle strikes you accidentally, YOU are at fault; and the laws of physics supercede all else when you're in the path of a 2 ton killing machine. Know your place, stay off the road.
Franklin Comes Alive!
Was op expecting conservatives to defend this guy?

Did op make threads about Anthony wiener when that went down?
CanyonAg77
AG
Ellis Wyatt said:

Rapier108 said:

Democrats would be mad he didn't sleep with a pre-teen.

Of the same sex
SociallyConditionedAg
AG
Hmmm, of all the Representatives to cast out, they choose one of the most conservative? I smell a rat, or a Phelan.
Rapier108
SociallyConditionedAg said:

Hmmm, of all the Representatives to cast out, they choose one of the most conservative? I smell a rat, or a Phelan.
No, this guy completely ****ed up. Good riddance to him. The GOP can do without people like him.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
Gunny456
AG
Exactly! All he would need to say is " I did not have sex with that woman!"
And then... it depends on what the definition of "is" is.
Ag87H2O
AG
This is really disappointing, especially when you read his bio. He has disgraced his name and His name - the one he claims to believe in. Him trying to intimidate his staff into silence only makes it worse.

I'm sad it had to happen but glad that Texas Republicans are demanding better and holding him accountable. It's a stark contrast to Democrats.
Owlagdad
Sleaze needs to go.
Never put your stock in man. Man is fallible.
doubledog
Franklin Comes Alive! said:

Was op expecting conservatives to defend this guy?

Did op make threads about Anthony wiener when that went down?
This thread is not going the way the OP thought it would.
Democrats often fail on strategic thinking and rely more on "after the fact" mendacious observations.
Detmersdislocatedshoulder
if he were to switch parties right now what happens and do democrats run to his aide?
SociallyConditionedAg
AG
Rapier108 said:

No, this guy completely ****ed up. Good riddance to him. The GOP can do without people like him.

So Phelan got rid of his most vocal, effective opponents, and everyone else in the House is clean? His biggest crime was obviously being conservative.
Not a Bot
AG

This guy doesn't seem to actually be a conservative. He seems to be a guy who ran on family values and conservatism, but (just like a lot of them) turned out to be just another power-hungry horndog who used his position for his own personal gain.
CanyonAg77
AG
I'd be checking out the places where he was a youth minister and see if he was acting. Inappropriately there
BassCowboy33
Detmersdislocatedshoulder said:

if he were to switch parties right now what happens and do democrats run to his aide?
Probably the same in this instance. The Katie Hill situation jumps immediately to mind.

The moral of the story is don't sh*t where you sleep. The chances of it going south are too great.
aggielostinETX
AG
BassCowboy33 said:

Detmersdislocatedshoulder said:

Probably the same in this instance. The Katie Hill situation jumps immediately to mind.

The moral of the story is don't sh*t where you sleep. The chances of it going south are too great.
Katie Hill is hero of the left. Hypocrites.
“A republic, if you can keep it”

AggieKatie2 said:
ETX is honestly starting to scare me a bit as someone who may be trigger happy.
BassCowboy33
Hero, zero, doesn't matter. She was forced to resign because of sexual impropriety with an aide.
SociallyConditionedAg
AG
Not a Bot said:

This guy doesn't seem to actually be a conservative. He seems to be a guy who ran on family values and conservatism, but (just like a lot of them) turned out to be just another power-hungry horndog who used his position for his own personal gain.

How many with clean hands are there in the House? He voted against Phelan for Speaker and is paying the price. The question is how we get dirt on Phelan so we can kick him out.
Not a Bot
AG
He got a 19 year-old intern drunk and had sex with her, then used his political clout to try to threaten her.

You really think this is some sort of conspiracy on the part of Phelan?
SociallyConditionedAg
AG
Not a Bot said:

He got a 19 year-old intern drunk and had sex with her, then used his political clout to try to threaten her.

You really think this is some sort of conspiracy on the part of Phelan?

100%. There probably aren't 10 honest politicians in the House and he's the one expelled for this? With him gone, the only opponent Phelan has in the House is Tinderholt.
Not a Bot
AG
He has to be expelled for this. Expel everyone who does similar.

And reverse Citizens United, bar corporate donations from politics, no stock trading in office, no financial gain allowed, and let normal people be public servants instead of the creepy grifters.
AggiePetro07
AG
That dude is 45?
SociallyConditionedAg
AG
Not a Bot said:

He has to be expelled for this. Expel everyone who does similar.

And reverse Citizens United, bar corporate donations from politics, no stock trading in office, no financial gain allowed, and let normal people be public servants instead of the creepy grifters.

No doubt, but it's odd that one of the most vocal conservatives in the House that led the fight against Phelan is the one getting expelled. I guarantee you Phelan's done that and/or worse and Slaton was too much of a thorn in his side.
Robert L. Peters
If that dude is 45..,brahs...I'm rocking
What you say, Paper Champion? I'm gonna beat you like a dog, a dog, you hear me!
LegalDrugPusher
Not a Bot said:

Just a few observations.

- How much alcohol would it take for a 19-year-old to sleep with a man who is 45 but looks like he is 60? Apparently we just found out.

- He and I may have very different definitions of what constitutes "youth ministry."

- His biography makes me want to fart. Fake family values Christian conservative checks all the boxes. How much you want to bet he would've gladly shipped her to New Mexico for an abortion if needed?

Sex happens
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.