Bud Light sales suffered over the weekend

458,096 Views | 3751 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Sea Speed
agent-maroon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thank you! Now THAT makes sense. Not to attempt another thread derail, but if you Google "does Troy Aikman support Biden" then you will get nothing but Troy has gone liberal and endorses Biden takes from more media outlets than you know even existed, from Fox/CNN/CBS to Joe shoe's excellent blog site. For the first 3 pages anyways. Media appears to be taking this hot mic moment and framing it to meet their support Biden agenda.

Should have known better...
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
i-miss-the-republic
Back on topic. They're still Tranhauser Busch.
Love Gun
AggieDruggist89 said:

Most fellas I know who are boycotting BL (typically on the golf course) are afraid of being called a Fa**ot... And that's that.

And we didn't even need mostly peaceful riots to get our point across.

**** Joe Biden
AggieDruggist89
AG
AB needs a commercial like this to redeem themselves...

agent-maroon
AG
That commercial ran only 20 years ago? We've "progressed" way too quickly...
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
The Brazos Kid
AggieDruggist89 said:

What a time to be alive.
AggieDruggist89
AG
If you're offended by that commercial, go drink Bud Light...
Get Off My Lawn
CDUB98 said:

powerbelly said:

CDUB98 said:

powerbelly said:

CDUB98 said:

The thread is pretty much over anyway.

Q2 earnings came out and didn't show the blood bath we expected, so most everyone ignored them.

They did lose nearly $400MM in revenue in North America at least.

I will disagree about the bloodbath. Those numbers were horrible and the impact will continue throughout the year.

From a global perspective, they were not.

Their number one brand had a historic drop and it doesn't look like it is ending any time soon. Global growth helped fill in the hole, but without the bud light dumbassery they would have been much better overall. They can't continue to suffer a 30% decrease in bud light as you are seeing by them shedding costs and other brands.

We can't look at this from a purely local standpoint. That gap fill by the rest of the world really did help them. The 30% drop is here not global. This is a global brand and global company. They will likely never bring back their lost revenue here, and they know it, but that doesn't mean the brand is dead from a global perspective.
You're defense is that the story is over because AB grew internationally which covered a portion of their US collapse? They snatched defeat from the jaws of victory, but shareholders should be happy because their unforced error was partially covered by a consolation prize?
one safe place
AggieDruggist89 said:

Our fast pitch softball team was sponsored by Miller Lite for several years and one of the perks was free beer. Watching that made me realize we should have held out for the girls.
CDUB98
AG
Get Off My Lawn said:

CDUB98 said:

powerbelly said:

CDUB98 said:

powerbelly said:

CDUB98 said:

The thread is pretty much over anyway.

Q2 earnings came out and didn't show the blood bath we expected, so most everyone ignored them.

They did lose nearly $400MM in revenue in North America at least.

I will disagree about the bloodbath. Those numbers were horrible and the impact will continue throughout the year.

From a global perspective, they were not.

Their number one brand had a historic drop and it doesn't look like it is ending any time soon. Global growth helped fill in the hole, but without the bud light dumbassery they would have been much better overall. They can't continue to suffer a 30% decrease in bud light as you are seeing by them shedding costs and other brands.

We can't look at this from a purely local standpoint. That gap fill by the rest of the world really did help them. The 30% drop is here not global. This is a global brand and global company. They will likely never bring back their lost revenue here, and they know it, but that doesn't mean the brand is dead from a global perspective.
You're defense is that the story is over because AB grew internationally which covered a portion of their US collapse? They snatched defeat from the jaws of victory, but shareholders should be happy because their unforced error was partially covered by a consolation prize?

Ummm, no. Not sure how you even got there.
aggie2812-2
AG
It kind of sounds like your saying that. I don't have a bone in this fight but reading your response that's what I took from it.
ShinerAggie
AG
Video Appears to Show Budweiser Tent Empty at Sturgis Motorcycle Rally

________________________________________________________ "Citizens are deceived en masse but enlightened one at a time."
CDUB98
AG
I'm saying that, on this forum, after Q2 numbers came out better than expected, most everyone here ignored them.

We were all waiting on them. People were ready to pounce. They were ready to declare Bud Ligjt dead. They didn't.

Thus, my opinion that the thread is dead. Personally, I'll be keeping an eye out for Q3&4 numbers as well.

Again, opinion, Bud Light is irreparably hurt in the US. They're not going to recover those sales, but, from a global perspective, they swill still flows.
Whoop Delecto
AG
Burpelson
Bud Light is screwed domestically and it's bleeding over into other products, AB will do just fine overseas and that os something I expect from foreign owned companies.
TexasAGGIEinAR
CDUB98 said:

I'm saying that, on this forum, after Q2 numbers came out better than expected, most everyone here ignored them.

We were all waiting on them. People were ready to pounce. They were ready to declare Bud Ligjt dead. They didn't.

Thus, my opinion that the thread is dead. Personally, I'll be keeping an eye out for Q3&4 numbers as well.

Again, opinion, Bud Light is irreparably hurt in the US. They're not going to recover those sales, but, from a global perspective, they swill still flows.
Who cares about the globe. They're getting their teeth torn out in the United States. We're bludgeoning them on their home soil. We're doing all we can do and it has been a success.
Hogties
AG
I'm not sure what your expectations were for 2Q numbers for InBev, which is a global beer company with dozens of brands. Did you, or anyone, expect InBev to declare bankruptcy? Do a 180 on their defense of BudLight and their strategy and declare mea culpa and close the brand down?

Their 2Q numbers speak for themselves and were disastrous.

"AB InBev said Thursday that US revenue fell 10% in the second quarter as sales of its top brand slumped. Sales to US retailers declined by 14%, under-performing the wider beer industry, primarily due to the decline in the volume of Bud Light it sold, the company said in a statement."

And EBITDA for the quarter for US operations fell 28.8%. That's not for Bud Light alone, but for the entire US operation with other brands clearly propping up the Bud Light disaster.

And your opinion is that was "better than expected"? And therefore the thread is dead?

I disagree. As someone fascinated by this business story, I come to this thread in awe of the self-inflicted damage to a flagship brand that continues to this day.

If you think the story, or this thread is over, look no further than the zombie apocalypse Sturgis video above.
CDUB98
AG
Quote:

I'm not sure what your expectations were for 2Q numbers for InBev, which is a global beer company with dozens of brands. Did you, or anyone, expect InBev to declare bankruptcy? Do a 180 on their defense of BudLight and their strategy and declare mea culpa and close the brand down?

I was hoping the rest of the world would reject the tranee mental illness too. I was disappointed.

All of you are so damned focused on the US only. It's like a DL tackling the QB on an option and celebrating while the RB runs the ball for 15 yards.

I ask you, what are YOU expecting or hoping? The demise of InBev? The demise of Bud Light? You're not going to get either because, globally, they're still strong. Are you hoping for US craft sell-off? If so, I am on board and we're already getting some.

I'm not sorry, focusing only on the US doesn't get you anywhere when they still crap cash elsewhere. InBev, at this time, is now looking to stabilize at their new norm in the US. All these prognostications of Bud Light's demise/the brand is dead/gut it/etc were wrong. Why, because globally, it is still strong and a money maker.

I'll repeat, all these things are opinion, and only time will tell what will truly happen. I simply see no value in celebrating a battle win with a war loss.
Burpelson
In the US bud Lt is a loss leader, even big distributors are pulling the emblem off the side of buildings, look at SED in Houston, they can't get that stank far enough away.
CDUB98
AG
Burpelson said:

In the US bud Lt is a loss leader, even big distributors are pulling the emblem off the side of buildings, look at SED in Houston, they can't get that stank far enough away.

Absolutely agree. Bood Light sucks donkey balls here and I hope it continues to falter. Just like y'all, I'm quite interested to see what happens when all these venue contracts run out.
powerbelly
AG
It's too early to either spike the football or declare that bud light weathered the storm. Anyone who thought that one quarter of results would sink ab inbev wasn't being realistic.
Get Off My Lawn
CDUB98 said:

"Bud light sales suffer over weekend"

That's the thread. Althoigh there may be some excitement and hope for the idea, the goal of "ending the brand" or "killing the company" was never a realistic expectation.

So I reject the framing that it's a disappointment and time to close down the thread. Q2 was terrible and there's potential for even further decline if the brand stigma carries into football culture. We may not be dancing on their grave, but I'd be shocked if there's a single Fortune 500 board room wall who hasnt heard BL/AB Q2 results by the end of the month.
American Hardwood
AG
It was never realistic to think this would have much impact on global sales. If anyone in other countries is even aware of the trans can event, they are likely just scratching their heads thinking, "what's all the fuss, it's just a can." like the countermeasures want them to think. They aren't sitting in America feeling the building undercurrent of rejection of the trans-groomer movement and are unaware of the general context. This is a cultural phenomenon, and they aren't a part of it.
Burpelson
AB as a company will be fine, the distributors, especially small ones will suffer.
Hogties
AG
What was I expecting to happen? In the immortal words of Mt. T, Pain.

And that is clearly happening.

I actually think the bigger damage to the brand was caused by that idiot marketing executive's ridiculous interview where she insulted current customers by essentially saying Bud Light didn't want them anymore with their fratty, sophomorish behavior, and somewhat offensive humor. And she had been given a mandate (meaning from top management) to change the image of a dying brand (her words) to embrace inclusivity.

The Mulvaney debacle was just a hook that people could rally around. But the cardinal sin, for which she should have been immediately fired, was that interview which revealed to Bud Light core customers that the top brass is embarrassed by you, doesn't want you, and doesn't want blue collar workers and fun loving beer drinkers to be their base anymore.

It would be kind of like Texas A&M's president giving an interview saying that the College of Agriculture has relied too long on small town white students, who are most interested in factory farming which harms the environment, and think that muddy boots and sweat lined cowboy hats are appropriate dress to represent our newly progressive and inclusive university. And I have been given a mandate to change that dying image of agriculture to be more inclusive and progressive, to leave behind factory farming for sustainable small scale organic farming, and recruit students of color and gender flexibility from inner cities as we move away from white, rural, unsophisticated students.

And at the same time TAMU tweeted out a picture of a rainbow TAMU Ag flag with the tag line, organic=sustainable.

What's the cardinal sin? The flag or the revelation to the core base customer that you are no longer wanted?

The flag (or the Mulvaney can) is simply the hook people can easily identify. The problem is the underlying disdain for the core customer as revealed in the interview.

What do I want? I want companies to get out of the business of pushing social change and politics, and just let me enjoy my beer, razor, shopping experience, and entertainment in peace.

Hopefully this incident moves the pendulum back to companies focusing on making money. Not social change points.
CDUB98
AG
Quote:

What do I want? I want companies to get out of the business of pushing social change and politics, and just let me enjoy my beer, razor, shopping experience, and entertainment in peace.

Hopefully this incident moves the pendulum back to companies focusing on making money. Not social change points.

I'd buy you a glass of your favorite right now if I could just for this statement.
Squadron7
AG
ShinerAggie said:

Video Appears to Show Budweiser Tent Empty at Sturgis Motorcycle Rally

This empty even with the Dylan Mulvaney/Allyssa Heinerscheid Kissing Booth?
zoneag
Quote:

I ask you, what are YOU expecting or hoping?
What I am hoping for is that the damage that AB did to themselves in the US will serve as a warning to other companies and hopefully remind them not to veer off into woke insanity. Ideally the whole company would go broke, but for a giant like AB, that's not realistic.
bonfarr
AG
I was just sent new Beer vault planograms for resets to start in the next few weeks. Space is being reallocated to better reflect current Market Share due to BL declines. The space is being given mostly to MC. The data provided are similar to what we have seen on this thread, BL volume down 25% with a 10% lift for Lite and CL. In 25 years I have never seen a reset in mid August, they are usually done in late Fall and again in the Spring and many years we didn't do a Fall reset it was only done before Summer. The first wave of resets affects about 2000 stores with more to follow.

FTAG 2000
AG
CDUB98 said:

Their quarterly numbers that were propped up by a massive year on year increase in South Africa, a country with a barely functioning electrical grid and shoddy record keeping?

Sure, sure.
deddog
AG
FTAG 2000 said:

CDUB98 said:

Their quarterly numbers that were propped up by a massive year on year increase in South Africa, a country with a barely functioning electrical grid and shoddy record keeping?

Sure, sure.
I stated earlier in this thread. You can hide damage for a quarter by doing a lot of legal shenanigans (moving orders in, pushing expenses out etc.). Doing this over a year, is much harder. You know AB was going to pull all the stops to ensure their (US) results don't look catastrophic.
Murder Hornet
AG
Nobody ever thought AB would go bankrupt. However, many many many people are sick of the woke crap being shoved in their faces and reacted accordingly.

The result is that the marketplace now understands their customers a bit better, no?

Americans are pretty tolerant until you start messing around with kids and this drag, t r a n n y stuff has gotten out of control
Who?mikejones!
I'd argue we don't need them to go bankrupt. We need then to hurt enough to turn away from esg initiatives and serve as an example of what not to do
ChipFTAC01
AG
bonfarr said:

I was just sent new Beer vault planograms for resets to start in the next few weeks. Space is being reallocated to better reflect current Market Share due to BL declines. The space is being given mostly to MC. The data provided are similar to what we have seen on this thread, BL volume down 25% with a 10% lift for Lite and CL. In 25 years I have never seen a reset in mid August, they are usually done in late Fall and again in the Spring and many years we didn't do a Fall reset it was only done before Summer. The first wave of resets affects about 2000 stores with more to follow.

What's MC?
agent-maroon
AG
Miller Coors, maybe?
First Page Last Page
Page 100 of 108

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.