Bud Light sales suffered over the weekend

458,123 Views | 3751 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Sea Speed
93MarineHorn
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Quote:

I think the undercurrent for rejection of all things woke is strong and participants are willing. It doesn't always work in all cases because there has to be something catalytical about a particular brand, product, or company that mestasticizes the boycotting. The potential is always there and it can obviously have a great impact as we have seen, but conditions are not always going to be right every time.

It depends on the consumer base for whatever product decides to do woke marketing. Subaru & Apple, for example, are free to engage in it because their consumer base is either mostly leftist (Subaru) or in the case of Apple, has no real alternative.
American Hardwood
AG
While this is true, I think that even with companies like that, it might still be possible they could do something so egregious that they have a metastasizing moment. I can't imagine what that might be, but I think it is theoretically possible. Nothing is too big to fail.
Squadron7
AG
Zarathustra said:

techno-ag said:

txags92 said:

techno-ag said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

I actually wish I would have bought a six pack of the Bud Lite with the ******'s face on it. Probably going to be worth something someday.
I think only six were printed, all sent to him.
That is what is so fascinating about this whole BL saga. This was a tiny promotion like thousands of others they do all the time. They didn't send cases of this stuff to red states, they sent 6 cans to a dude in a dress who posted a picture of it online. It is the kind of thing any entry level social media manager drone might have done for any product anywhere in the US. And the response to it by a mid level VP when asked about it in a single interview ignited a firestorm that is costing a giant brand billions of dollars and forcing them to change their strategy across all their brands including divesting some.

I highly suspect that brands all over the country are grabbing the reins of their social media accounts back from the new college kid hired because they had a snarky personality and fast thumbs. Every brand level interaction on social media is now being scrutinized and will likely go through s risk management review because of the potential for one ill advised interaction to destroy a brand. Hopefully it makes brands much more reticent about jumping into political topics.
It's not hard. Just quit shoving woke themes down people's throats. We're tired of it and this was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Not trying to be a downer, but I've been hearing it's the last straw for at least 20 years. Every week there's a new company to the boycott on f16. we got lucky because Bud Light was something unique to blue-collar America.

Perhaps, but did we think we'd ever get to a point where Disney may have a fire sale and/or might get swallowed up by Apple?

txags92
AG
93MarineHorn said:

Quote:

I think the undercurrent for rejection of all things woke is strong and participants are willing. It doesn't always work in all cases because there has to be something catalytical about a particular brand, product, or company that mestasticizes the boycotting. The potential is always there and it can obviously have a great impact as we have seen, but conditions are not always going to be right every time.

It depends on the consumer base for whatever product decides to do woke marketing. Subaru & Apple, for example, are free to engage in it because their consumer base is either mostly leftist (Subaru) or in the case of Apple, has no real alternative.
It is for sure different for different brands and markets. One of the things BL is up against is that it is very easy to switch beers. Not so much for switching car brands or switching phone operating systems, etc. you can stand in front of a cooler at the store or in a bar and have dozens of beer choices, and the only cost to switch is to get used to a different taste. For people to change phones or computers, they have significant cost, learning a new system, possible data loss in the transfer, etc. So some brands will always be somewhat insulated from it, but others in crowded market segments with little cost to change will be very vulnerable going forward.
Showertime at the Bidens
txags92 said:

Zarathustra said:

techno-ag said:

txags92 said:

techno-ag said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

I actually wish I would have bought a six pack of the Bud Lite with the ******'s face on it. Probably going to be worth something someday.
That is what is so fascinating about this whole BL saga. This was a tiny promotion like thousands of others they do all the time. They didn't send cases of this stuff to red states, they sent 6 cans to a dude in a dress who posted a picture of it online. It is the kind of thing any entry level social media manager drone might have done for any product anywhere in the US. And the response to it by a mid level VP when asked about it in a single interview ignited a firestorm that is costing a giant brand billions of dollars and forcing them to change their strategy across all their brands including divesting some.

I highly suspect that brands all over the country are grabbing the reins of their social media accounts back from the new college kid hired because they had a snarky personality and fast thumbs. Every brand level interaction on social media is now being scrutinized and will likely go through s risk management review because of the potential for one ill advised interaction to destroy a brand. Hopefully it makes brands much more reticent about jumping into political topics.
It's not hard. Just quit shoving woke themes down people's throats. We're tired of it and this was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Not trying to be a downer, but I've been hearing it's the last straw for at least 20 years. Every week there's a new company to the boycott on f16. we got lucky because Bud Light was something unique to blue-collar America.

Ok tell me the last brand to get hammered the way BL has in this episode. No brand has been hit this hard before by something so seemingly small in scope.

That's exactly my point. conservatives has been saying this about companies for as long as I can remember, but Bud Light was unique and that conservatives made up amost it's entire target market and as others have said it's too easy to switch beers.

Yeti cut ties with the NRA IN 2018 and there were calls for a boycott. but too many people on the left still bought yeti tumblers and the company was fine. Just trying to be a realist and put things into perspective.
BigBrother
AG
Zarathustra said:

txags92 said:

Zarathustra said:

techno-ag said:

txags92 said:

techno-ag said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

Ok tell me the last brand to get hammered the way BL has in this episode. No brand has been hit this hard before by something so seemingly small in scope.

That's exactly my point. conservatives has been saying this about companies for as long as I can remember, but Bud Light was unique and that conservatives made up amost it's entire target market and as others have said it's too easy to switch beers.

Yeti cut ties with the NRA IN 2018 and there were calls for a boycott. but too many people on the left still bought yeti tumblers and the company was fine. Just trying to be a realist and put things into perspective.

This is fair. I know too many conservatives who are fundamentally opposed to boycotts for some insane reason. "Oh, but the kids love the Disney shows!"
AggieDruggist89
AG
Most fellas I know who are boycotting BL (typically on the golf course) are afraid of being called a Fa**ot... And that's that.
Serious Lee
AggieDruggist89 said:

Most fellas I know who are boycotting BL (typically on the golf course) are afraid of being called a Fa**ot... And that's that.

that is the single most reason why this boycott worked.
CDUB98
AG
My opinion is that the switching costs are the largest reason the Bud Light and Target boycotts took off. The costs are practically nil. It's simple and easy to substitute.

Other "last straws" didn't or won't work because the cost is too high, sometimes just in convenience, sometimes because there is no substitute. For example, who replaces Disney shows/cartoons/theme parks for kids? Disney built a juggernaut, and any potential competitors are pretty much as woke as Disney. Sometimes it feels like the only real alternative is a life without a TV. Not realistic with kids these days.

From a corporate perspective, how many ERPs or other software systems are running SAP, Microsoft, AWS, Oracle, Cisco, etc. as a backbone, even if the front page looks different? Here again, it is diffuse to get away from them.

Bud Ligjt and Target prove that conservatives want to boycott. The problem is always switching costs and substitutes. Y'all really shouldn't bag on them for lack of choices. Hopefully, things like Public Square can start to shift the tide for substitutes, but the switching cost likely remains high.
JCA1
AG
txags92 said:

Zarathustra said:

techno-ag said:

txags92 said:

techno-ag said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

This has been a little bit of a perfect storm. An isolated ad campaign went viral well beyond its intended audience (I'm sure countless other brands have had targeted ads at targeted demographics that would put off their typical customer but their typical customer never saw it). A dip**** exec appeared on a podcast at the same time and gave terrible answers which added enormous fuel to the fire. Their product is fairly interchangeable with their competitors and largely depends on brand loyalty. Finally, if you drink BL, you're now the butt of a joke (which is a much bigger problem for BL than a boycott, IMO).
TexasAGGIEinAR
93MarineHorn said:

Quote:

My TCU neighbor refers to Subaru's as "lesbian limousines". I got a good laugh out of that because when I think Subaru, I think hardcore liberal. Spot on.
torrid
AG
93MarineHorn said:

Quote:

Subaru makes a good car.

Posted from my MacBook Pro.
Ag with kids
AG
torrid said:

93MarineHorn said:

Quote:

Subaru makes a good car.

Found the lesbian.

Posted from my Mac Studio
CDUB98
AG
If you live in the mountains and don't need anything more than a car, a Suby is actually a great idea.

Now, of I only lived in the mountains instead of this hell on earth called Houston.
ProgN
torrid said:

93MarineHorn said:

Quote:

Subaru makes a good car.

If also wear a flannel shirt, cargo shorts and butch hair, then we need you to post pic.
93MarineHorn
Quote:

Subaru makes a good car.

I agree, but that's not my point.
AggieDruggist89
AG
powerbelly said:

She is a business woman with a clear mandate, "Kill the most popular beer brand in the world"

You know... I'm surprised this thread is still going this strong. We should realize that the female beauty is one of the most powerful commodities in history and homophobia runs deep in male population. We can try to rationalize AB BL fiasco until ice cold beer turns lukewarm fizzless piss at 2AM when you're left with Bertha at the end of the bar but the reality is Alissa Heinerscheid is a very unattractive female. And this face is ugly enough to boycott everything she endorses.

Now.. Same script but if the woman below was the VP of Marketing for AB BL brand, I'd say yup she right BL needs new audience and I probably wouldn't boycott. Then again, I don't drink BL anyways.

Lesson learned is that Ugly is not a protected class in the US. Don't hire ugly woman for marketing.

torrid
AG
93MarineHorn said:

Quote:

Subaru makes a good car.

I do have a second car, but it is probably one of the biggest ******-mobiles there is.
txags92
AG
Dodge Charger? Or Ram Bro-dozer?
torrid
AG
txags92 said:

Dodge Charger? Or Ram Bro-dozer?
Not Mopar.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Miata
torrid
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

Miata
Warmer, but not a Mazda.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Boxster
torrid
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

Boxster
Wrong continent.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Mustang conv
torrid
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

Mustang conv
Going cold on me. Again, wrong continent.
i-miss-the-republic
Quote:

My TCU neighbor refers to Subaru's as "lesbian limousines". I got a good laugh out of that because when I think Subaru, I think hardcore liberal. Spot on.

Subarus and Volvos
Ag with kids
AG
torrid said:

AggieDruggist89 said:

Boxster
Wrong continent.

The Tata Punch convertible?
TRIDENT
AG
torrid said:

93MarineHorn said:

Quote:

Subaru makes a good car.

I do have a second car, but it is probably one of the biggest ******-mobiles there is.
Subaru WRX?
torrid
AG
Ag with kids said:

torrid said:

AggieDruggist89 said:

Boxster
Wrong continent.

The Tata Punch convertible?
Right continent, wrong sub-continent.
torrid
AG
TRIDENT said:

torrid said:

93MarineHorn said:

Quote:

Subaru makes a good car.

Subaru WRX?
Again very warm, but second car is not a Subaru (first one is).
AggieDruggist89
AG
Lexus IS conv

The thread took a weird turn
torrid
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

Lexus IS conv

The thread took a weird turn
Hey, I'm off work today and need some entertainment.

Not a Toyota or any related brands. Same for Honda.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Nissan Z
Icecream_Ag
S
Nissan Juke
First Page Last Page
Page 98 of 108

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.