Bud Light sales suffered over the weekend

458,600 Views | 3751 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Sea Speed
Tabasco
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Prosperdick said:

Hungry Ojos said:

There's nothing more annoying than a pretentious beer snob, and I am certainly not one of them. I guess I don't have a sophisticated palate for beer like a lot of the dorks here in Austin apparently do, and I cannot stand IPAs. I like most normal light beer and most Mexican beers. But with all of that being said, I cannot believe that Bud effing Light was the top selling beer in the country. It tastes terrible, even to someone like me that isn't too particular about his beer. Really America? With EVERYTHING out there, your favorite is Bud Light? Kinda reminds me how when they do the country wide polls of best Mexican food, Taco Bell is always at the top. People are stupid.
They had BY FAR the best marketing campaign going all the way back to Spuds McKenzie in the 80's. That's a LONG time to build your brand and gain loyalty amongst a LOT of folks of all ages.

It's what makes their spectacular flameout so ironic...the product (and I'm not limiting this to just beer) with the best and most innovative marketing campaigns over the last 40+ years just decided to self immolate. It would be tragic if it weren't so galactically stupid...and woke.
props to language and the use of self immolate. Absolutely perfect
ProgN
Pluralizes Everythings said:

Kozmozag said:

Yall aren't taking in to consideration the lqbtq+ community and their allies democrats. AB will be supported.

Every time I revisit this thread I get a good laugh out of this comment. It aged like milk in a hot car.
That post will be included in the pantheon of worst takes ever on F16. It will be in the same company as "just sell two teas" and this arrogant OP that couldn't have ever been more wrong...

https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/3205233

The OP was so wrong about inflation and crushed that he no longer posts under that username.
techno-ag
AG
ProgN said:

Pluralizes Everythings said:

Kozmozag said:

Yall aren't taking in to consideration the lqbtq+ community and their allies democrats. AB will be supported.

Every time I revisit this thread I get a good laugh out of this comment. It aged like milk in a hot car.
That post will be included in the pantheon of worst takes ever on F16. It will be in the same company as "just sell two teas" and this arrogant OP that couldn't have ever been more wrong...

https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/3205233

The OP was so wrong about inflation and crushed that he no longer posts under that username.
Happens a lot around here.
I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris

Vote for Trump.
He took a bullet for America.

TX_COWDOC
AG
Prolly still has a Biden / Harris bumper sticker on his Prius though.
www.southpawprecision.com
Type 07 FFL / Class 2 SOT
Nightforce Optics Dealer
AGM Night Vision Dealer
Ag with kids
AG
Hungry Ojos said:

There's nothing more annoying than a pretentious beer snob, and I am certainly not one of them. I guess I don't have a sophisticated palate for beer like a lot of the dorks here in Austin apparently do, and I cannot stand IPAs. I like most normal light beer and most Mexican beers. But with all of that being said, I cannot believe that Bud effing Light was the top selling beer in the country. It tastes terrible, even to someone like me that isn't too particular about his beer. Really America? With EVERYTHING out there, your favorite is Bud Light? Kinda reminds me how when they do the country wide polls of best Mexican food, Taco Bell is always at the top. People are stupid.

You mean THESE guys???
Stat Monitor Repairman

Bud light could have saved itself if they come out with some kind of creative response.

But they didn't

They doubled down.

They thought they'd issue some sort of wordsmithed statement and the whole thing would go away in a few weeks.

And they were wrong about that too.

Everything bud light has done so far has been gas on the fire.

Bud light missed the boat by not striking on this immediately.

If they would have come out with some way for everyone to laugh it off and collectively get on down the road ... they might not be in as bad a shape.

Turn the whole thing into a bit.

But they didn't do that.

Its been total and complete failure from the people at bud light.

They've effectively written the book on what not to do.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Bud light got itself into a meme war, and lost.
TresPuertas
AG
pretty interesting observation.

In theory this SHOULD be examined and taught in business schools from here to eternity.

something tells methat this will be memory holed though
Tanya 93
No BL sales yet
Stat Monitor Repairman
The only way to fight a meme is with a meme.

We've been fortunate enough to have learned this at bud light's expense.

Bud light is providing us with an education on what not to do.

Everything they've done so far somehow managed to be the worst possible thing they could do.
Tom Kazansky 2012
AG
Kozmozag said:

Laughing my ass off
Stat Monitor Repairman
In a non-clown world the shareholders would band together and sue the company to effect change in leadership.

Clear out the entire board and everyone involved.

Start over.

Theres been talk of it, but It's wild that's not already happened yet.
techno-ag
AG
Tom Kazansky 2012 said:

Kozmozag said:

BenFiasco14 said:

Can't wait for the inevitable dueling thread when bud light has a good weekend and we argue back and forth about why.
I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris

Vote for Trump.
He took a bullet for America.

Stat Monitor Repairman
Bud light is in a drought.

The've come off the porch and done a few rain dances. But nothing has worked.

If their sales in DFW are really down 75%, It's a lost cause.

It's time for bud light to till those fields under.

Discontinue the brand and move on.

I don't know how you go into football season with Bud light being the main sponsor of anything.

thats throwing good money after bad.

But thats probably what they will do anyway. So far they've demonstrated no capacity to manage this situation.

Bud light thought it was Mike Tyson, but it got Buster Douglassed.

It's time for bud light to throw in the towel.

Sacrifice bud light for the good of the rest of the AB brands. Thats how they should spin it.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Kozmozag said:

This is the scorpion and the frog.

We've already seen the lgbt'ers turn against bud light.

As it turns out, Bud light isn't the hill these people want to die on.

Their support wained.

Lgbt'ers are loud and flamboyant. But when it gets down to nut-cuttin' time. Their actual numbers are very small.

So this bud light fiasco may be proof of that.
dreyOO
Another random anecdote from the roads. Last night we stayed in Council Bluffs, Iowa. Go down to the hotel lobby to grab a pre dinner beer and there's a big old bubba trying to make a choice. He slowly, begrudgingly grabs a few bud lights and I was tempted to razz him. Then I got over and saw the problem. All the other beers were gone EXCEPT for the Bud, Bud Lights, and three Coronas. Everything else was picked clean.

I ended up drinking a damn warm prosecco over ice. I was about to ask the lady at the desk if they could just switch out the beer selection, but no joke, I'm 100% convinced it was a ******. A dude dressed as a furking red head woman. Or the manliest woman I've seen in a while. So odd.

Anyway, just pointing out that the channels are dry all over the place. Not just the bar scene or grocery store.
CDUB98
AG
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

And the left can't meme.
ShaggySLC
CDUB98 said:

And the left can't meme.
No doubt, too many politically correct minefields trying to do that well.
johnnyblaze36
AG
nortex97 said:

Anecdotal update: talked to a (DFW) bartender today (small local sports/dive bar) who gave some humorous perspectives;

• Ben E Keith (InBev beer distributor in DFW) rep said BL sales are off around 75% around town.
  • They had about 6 cases of bud light they couldn't move for around 2 months in the back (bar only has around 8 taps).
  • Now selling way more miller light draft than BL, was about equal.
  • Had a fight this week over bud light in the bar/gay politics.
  • When folks do order BL now they order it draft so people don't mock them over the bottle.

I was bemused. This is a pretty well run dive bar that basically won't let politics be discussed/fought over, around Frisco.
What's the name of it?
TXAG 05
AG
Was at a bar the other day and there were some bud light girls there trying to give out free beer and BL swag. There were no takers for any of it.
BadMoonRisin
AG
They're really killing it in Dayton,TX

The brand I mean....
RGRAg1/75
AG
Had dinner at Wings n More this evening. Waitress gave me the "what's on tap" briefing: Dos, Miller and Mich Ultra. That's it. I didn't ask, but doubt they were out of BL.

I used to drink big willy size BLs there all the time.
Love Gun
BadMoonRisin said:

Almost like they've instructed their delivery drivers to design their freezer spaces like a billboard to catch your attention.

They really don't get it.
**** Joe Biden
Love Gun
RGRAg1/75 said:

Had dinner at Wings n More this evening. Waitress gave me the "what's on tap" briefing: Dos, Miller and Mich Ultra. That's it. I didn't ask, but doubt they were out of BL.

I used to drink big willy size BLs there all the time.

They went great with Wings n More wings, but regardless of the boycott, at my age, neither are good for my health
**** Joe Biden
ShaggySLC
Love Gun said:

BadMoonRisin said:

Almost like they've instructed their delivery drivers to design their freezer spaces like a billboard to catch your attention.

Haven't you heard, us evil consumers are making it hard on their delivery drivers, distributors and servers. Those people are ashamed of us, so why would they try!
ContinentalAg
I didn't pay much attention before, but it seems to me that Bud Heavy has struggled almost as much. Their section in the beer aisle seems to be have shrunk, whereas the BL section is full but pretty much just as big as before.
AgDad121619
AG

Kozmozag said:

This is the scorpion and the frog.

We've already seen the lgbt'ers turn against bud light.

As it turns out, Bud light isn't the hill these people want to die on.

Their support wained.

Lgbt'ers are loud and flamboyant. But when it gets down to nut-cuttin' time. Their actual numbers are very small.

So this bud light fiasco may be proof of that.
hitching you wagon to to .0001% of the population as strategy to grow the brand was always a losing proposition - an IVY league MBA ain't worth the paper it is printed on
Urban Ag
AG
Prosperdick said:

Hungry Ojos said:

They had BY FAR the best marketing campaign going all the way back to Spuds McKenzie in the 80's. That's a LONG time to build your brand and gain loyalty amongst a LOT of folks of all ages.

It's what makes their spectacular flameout so ironic...the product (and I'm not limiting this to just beer) with the best and most innovative marketing campaigns over the last 40+ years just decided to self immolate. It would be tragic if it weren't so galactically stupid...and woke.
Bud was America's beer. BL picked up those reigns and tripled down. It was about fun. Hot chicks, dogs, horses, cowboys, over the top patriotism, football, small towns, big stadiums, all of it. An absolute case study in American marketing. I had a case study on it at Mays when I was a student in the 90's.

They forgot who their market was. That simple. Suicide.

BL was never "good" beer but I drank a lot of it and the other Bud side shows as a teen and up until they were bought out by InBev. We were literally raised on it. It's what dad drank.

Dumbasses took a massive sh** on who took them to the dance. I couldn't care less what happens to AB.
VaultingChemist
AG
TXAG 05 said:

Was at a bar the other day and there were some bud light girls there trying to give out free beer and BL swag. There were no takers for any of it.
Were those real girls, or is "bud light girl" just another euphemism for a transgender girl?
Urban Ag
AG
VaultingChemist said:

TXAG 05 said:

Were those real girls, or is "bud light girl" just another euphemism for a transgender girl?
Who cares.

Until you experience the Dos Equis or Corona girls in Mexico you haven't experienced beer girls.
agent-maroon
AG
Love Gun said:

BadMoonRisin said:

That's actually the problem, is it not?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
nortex97
AG
Tailgaters @ Lebanon/423.
duck79
AG
nortex97 said:

Anecdotal update: talked to a (DFW) bartender today (small local sports/dive bar) who gave some humorous perspectives;

• Ben E Keith (InBev beer distributor in DFW) rep said BL sales are off around 75% around town.
  • They had about 6 cases of bud light they couldn't move for around 2 months in the back (bar only has around 8 taps).
  • When folks do order BL now they order it draft so people don't mock them over the bottle.

I was bemused. This is a pretty well run dive bar that basically won't let politics be discussed/fought over, around Frisco.

I'm in the business and was with the BEK Dallas GM on a visit 3 weeks ago. They aren't down 75%. They are down substantially but it's nowhere near 75% and obviously some areas are showing it more than others.

What is interesting is that the San Antonio wholesaler(Silver Eagle) says that they have not been affected much which blew my mind. The Dallas and SA base customer is quite different and that feedback was interesting.
schwack schwack
AG
Quote:

I wonder how many pics were taken of this shot to get the labels turned exactly right and fingers out of the way from blocking the view

Hand model 101.
The Fife
duck79 said:

nortex97 said:

I'm in the business and was with the BEK Dallas GM on a visit 3 weeks ago. They aren't down 75%. They are down substantially but it's nowhere near 75% and obviously some areas are showing it more than others.

What is interesting is that the San Antonio wholesaler(Silver Eagle) says that they have not been affected much which blew my mind. The Dallas and SA base customer is quite different and that feedback was interesting.
I'm used to seeing Bud Light at all things Tejano. They have a solid lock on the market.
First Page Last Page
Page 84 of 108

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.