Bud Light sales suffered over the weekend

458,548 Views | 3751 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Sea Speed
Txhuntr
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think stadium contracts are the only thing keeping them above a 50% loss. If they ever lose that, the bud light brand is absolutely gone
nortex97
AG
Txhuntr said:

I think stadium contracts are the only thing keeping them above a 50% loss. If they ever lose that, the bud light brand is absolutely gone
Probably right. I recall the 'airport network' where CNN owned the TV's/rights to make people in Airports listen to their lies for many years sustained their revenues too.

Eventually, though, those contracts were up and reality couldn't be avoided, to the point they are a niche broadcaster/entertainment outfit nowadays. I can't even name a single show on CNN, which is a humble brag, yes.
deddog
AG
nortex97 said:

Txhuntr said:

Probably right. I recall the 'airport network' where CNN owned the TV's/rights to make people in Airports listen to their lies for many years sustained their revenues too.

Eventually, though, those contracts were up and reality couldn't be avoided, to the point they are a niche broadcaster/entertainment outfit nowadays. I can't even name a single show on CNN, which is a humble brag, yes.
And yet CNN exists.
As will AB. The execs and ESG investors (Blackrock, Vanguard) will do all they can to play down the impacts of the boycott.

The goal is no longer selling product and making profits. It's social change.
fka ftc
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

I think bud light is done.

Theres no coming back from this.

I don't anticipate people are gonna all of a sudden start buying bud light again in a few months.

This ain't even a boycott in a traditional sense.

People stopped drinking bud light because bud light made itself a pain in the ass.

Nobody wants to buy a product with a controversy attached to it.

You are correct. I do not think AB is done (or InBev or whatever name they have out of Belgium these days), but Bud Light as a brand is done.

Bud Light had brand stickiness in which people just grabbed it if they had no real preference and for whatever reason did not like Miller Lite or Coors Light. This forced those customers to rethink their preferences and explore alternatives.

There is nothing special about Bud Light. It's like Dasani v Aquafina. Many have a preference, and buy it out of blindness habit until something like price or availability makes them think about that choice.

Bud Light made their customers think about their choice and people moved, likely permanently away from the beer.

AB likely shifts the product volume to other brands and will eventually absorb the losses and recover the volume. Regardless, the entire c-suite and the board should be shown the door.
"The absence of the word accountability is not the same as wanting no accountability" -unknown

"You can never go wrong by staying silent if there is nothing apt to say" -Walter Isaacson
HDeathstar
Not sure how the AB president is still there. It's still only been weeks vs months, but more need to fall on their swords. So odd. Only reason is probably a combo of InBev agreed with path and pride month, let's see what happens after June
nortex97
AG
deddog said:

nortex97 said:

Txhuntr said:

And yet CNN exists.
As will AB. The execs and ESG investors (Blackrock, Vanguard) will do all they can to play down the impacts of the boycott.

The goal is no longer selling product and making profits. It's social change.

Sure, though it's irrelevant and a rump of what it once was.

The same will wind up happening to InBev is my prediction, or Budweiser as a brand at least.
The Fife
ESG showing its true value here
techno-ag
AG
fka ftc said:

I don't anticipate people are gonna all of a sudden start buying bud light again in a few months.

People stopped drinking bud light because bud light made itself a pain in the ass.

You are correct. I do not think AB is done (or InBev or whatever name they have out of Belgium these days), but Bud Light as a brand is done.

Bud Light had brand stickiness in which people just grabbed it if they had no real preference and for whatever reason did not like Miller Lite or Coors Light. This forced those customers to rethink their preferences and explore alternatives.

There is nothing special about Bud Light. It's like Dasani v Aquafina. Many have a preference, and buy it out of blindness habit until something like price or availability makes them think about that choice.

Bud Light made their customers think about their choice and people moved, likely permanently away from the beer.

AB likely shifts the product volume to other brands and will eventually absorb the losses and recover the volume. Regardless, the entire c-suite and the board should be shown the door.
Tastes about the same. Light beer was invented to appeal to the widest variety of tastes. It seeks to not offend by being as flavorless as possible.

Unfortunately for Bud Light, that becomes a liability when you tell customers they're not woke enough to drink your beer.
I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris

Vote for Trump.
He took a bullet for America.

bonfarr
AG
As for the future of shelf space for Bud Light, they have yet to lose it in major accounts because of preexisting agreements based on their volume before this fiasco started. That's why you see 20' of Bud Light untouched while other shelves are bare. This will change quickly once the new numbers are run which typically wouldn't happen until after the Summer selling season is done. I can see retailers pushing to make the change sooner though if things don't change. Bud Light space will certainly be cut in the Fall though but if the brand ever recovers they will get it back.
Disclaimer: Views expressed in this post reflect the opinions of Texags user bonfarr and are not to be accepted as facts or to be accepted at face value.
ProgN
Even though it's anecdotal and I've been told it won't have any effect on $BUD stock price, I converted two more strangers from MU to YF at HEB this weekend. The second time, I didn't know the guy behind us was from the local Yuengling distributor and he asked if I'd be interested in a sales position. That was nice but I'd probably get fired for using Transheuser-Bush and transtard with customers.
deddog
AG
HDeathstar said:

Not sure how the AB president is still there. It's still only been weeks vs months, but more need to fall on their swords. So odd. Only reason is probably a combo of InBev agreed with path and pride month, let's see what happens after June
If they can't use enough accounting tips to hide the impact of the boycott, he will be fired.
No sense letting a new CEO declare the horrendous results.
fka ftc
bonfarr said:

As for the future of shelf space for Bud Light, they have yet to lose it in major accounts because of preexisting agreements based on their volume before this fiasco started. That's why you see 20' of Bud Light untouched while other shelves are bare. This will change quickly once the new numbers are run which typically wouldn't happen until after the Summer selling season is done. I can see retailers pushing to make the change sooner though if things don't change. Bud Light space will certainly be cut in the Fall though but if the brand ever recovers they will get it back.
I would think AB has some obligation to keep those shelves stocked. Beer, soft drinks, chips, milk, etc in most chains is essentially inventory on consignment. For the grocers, they are not losing money from not selling Bud Light, but they are losing money with vacant shelf space and remaining shelf-space occupied by product that is not turning over.

At some point, it will be cost efficient to "buy" the shelf space off of Bud Light or demand they replace BL with product that is moving.

But the real money in drinks is in the convenience stores and even more so in bars, restaurants, sports venues, etc. I have no idea what those contracts and their requirements look like, but I would be scanning the articles on those locations for the real tale of how bad Bud Light and AB will hurt from this.

Just my 2 cents.
"The absence of the word accountability is not the same as wanting no accountability" -unknown

"You can never go wrong by staying silent if there is nothing apt to say" -Walter Isaacson
fka ftc
deddog said:

HDeathstar said:

If they can't use enough accounting tips to hide the impact of the boycott, he will be fired.
Their corporate accountability will be judged internationally, not here in the US. If AB starts to truly bleed, I would imagine InBev jettisons AB. They can take a ton of write-offs and clean up the stain.

one safe place
deddog said:

HDeathstar said:

Would love to be a fly on the wall because I can guarantee you that they will get quite innovative and aggressive in doing whatever it takes to make things look less worse than they are. Do 20 things, auditors find 10 of them, you are still ahead of the game.
Stat Monitor Repairman

Last ditch effort for bud light is rebrand black label and bring back pull tabs.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
bonfarr said:

Maybe it was said earlier, but what is the usual shelf life/expiration date for beer? I've seen it stamped on cans now that I've looked for it, but never paid attention to how long it sits there since it usually didn't last near long enough to notice it

Person Not Capable of Pregnancy
fka ftc
one safe place said:

deddog said:

HDeathstar said:

Would love to be a fly on the wall because I can guarantee you that they will get quite innovative and aggressive in doing whatever it takes to make things look less worse than they are. Do 20 things, auditors find 10 of them, you are still ahead of the game.
Speaking from experience on both sides of the audit equation, you are being very gracious.

If I wanted to hide something, I throw a big shiny bauble for them to fine and they get all giddy and quit looking. The average Big 4 senior manager / partner are not nearly as clever as the average c-suite fiscal executive.

45-70Ag
AG
Bring all this back, the can and spuds McKenzie. Fire the ******** Harvard/cia trans loving ceo freak and it'll be a decent first step.

fka ftc
45-70Ag said:

Bring all this back, the can and spuds McKenzie. Fire the ******** Harvard/cia trans loving ceo freak and it'll be a decent first step.

Spud was a *****.

The Fife
Yes, Spud was a doggo!
bonfarr
AG
fka ftc said:

bonfarr said:

I would think AB has some obligation to keep those shelves stocked. Beer, soft drinks, chips, milk, etc in most chains is essentially inventory on consignment. For the grocers, they are not losing money from not selling Bud Light, but they are losing money with vacant shelf space and remaining shelf-space occupied by product that is not turning over.

At some point, it will be cost efficient to "buy" the shelf space off of Bud Light or demand they replace BL with product that is moving.

But the real money in drinks is in the convenience stores and even more so in bars, restaurants, sports venues, etc. I have no idea what those contracts and their requirements look like, but I would be scanning the articles on those locations for the real tale of how bad Bud Light and AB will hurt from this.

Just my 2 cents.

In Texas beer is owned by the retailer the moment it is delivered and full payment is required at time of delivery. Distributors can't buy it back or issue credit for out of code beer.either. They are allowed to swap out expired beer for fresh product but they can't buy it back or give retailers their money back. Most other products in Convenience are also owned by the retailer and are usually net 30 but those suppliers are allowed to write credits for out of code product. The only consignment items are Scan Based items where there is no cost at delivery and the retailer send scan data daily to the supplier and they invoice only on what was sold, that is typically limited to high theft items like sunglasses, cellphone chargers, seasonal general merchandise, etc.

I can tell you AB or their distributors have no interest in reducing the amount of shelf space they have in stores, they and all suppliers will fight like animals for every inch of space. Their salesman place orders based on build-tos that provide the correct days of supply on hand to support sales so eventually their space will be filled with other AB products that they can sell. Eventually retailers will match space to actual current sales and you will see AB get reduced then, if things don't pick up soon this Summer I think we will see it happen much sooner than is typical.
Disclaimer: Views expressed in this post reflect the opinions of Texags user bonfarr and are not to be accepted as facts or to be accepted at face value.
Tramp96
45-70Ag said:

And bring Michelob back to Texas!!
ProgN
George Strait concert goers IGNORE Bud Light tent as Dylan Mulvaney debacle rumbles on | Daily Mail Online
Quote:

ud Light has been hit with another blow after fans at a George Strait concert were caught on camera deliberately avoiding the beer and plumping for other options.

The brand, owned by Anheuser-Busch, teamed up with transgender influencer Dylan Mulvaney for an advert during March Madness.

But the decision backfired, causing the Belgian brewing giant to tank $19billion from its market value since the advertisement on April 1.

Footage posted on Twitter showed dozens of cans of Bud Light and other Anheuser-Busch products remaining on the shelves in Columbus, Ohio, while fans of the 'King of Country' bought other beverages.

Both Budweiser and Michelob Ultra were also left on the shelves of the fridges, though it was unclear if the boycott of all Anheuser-Busch products was intentional or not.

Quote:

One man grabbed a blue can, but it was unclear if it was Bud Light or not, while others continued to drink Ultra's with one person saying: 'But they're drinking Michelob ultra? They're still giving money to Anheuser-Busch, but they think they're doing something to the makers of Bud Light?'

Many were quick to praise the supposed ban on the light beer, saying: We've been to a AAA baseball game and an MLB game this season. The grab and go stands full of Anheuser-Busch products didn't get touched.

'The ballparks have mostly Bud products available and beer sales are way down.'

Quote:

Timothy Calkins, associate chair of the marketing department at Northwestern Kellogg, told Fox Business: 'I think we'll see more brands be very cautious about getting into the middle of some of these really controversial issues.

'It was pretty clear, with Bud Light, that decisions were made by the team working on the brand, but not by more senior executives. And so, there wasn't really a line in there.

'I think in hindsight a team would say, you really don't want to get involved in that controversial an issue.'
Quote:

Industry analysts have warned that unless something drastic changes, the negative volume trends will continue into the summer.
bonfarr
AG
Tony Franklins Other Shoe said:

bonfarr said:

Maybe it was said earlier, but what is the usual shelf life/expiration date for beer? I've seen it stamped on cans now that I've looked for it, but never paid attention to how long it sits there since it usually didn't last near long enough to notice it

Used to be like 110 days from the born-on date but they increased it to around 6 months several years ago.
fka ftc
Minor clarification, yes I understand its not true consignment and they have to pay for it. My experience was in sodas, and the product was purchased by the grocers, there was so much leeway in buybacks / credits for spoilage and damage that it might as well have been consignment.

Interesting that beer distributors cannot buy back expired product. That should give the grocers some leverage against AB to say "you trashed your product and now we are stuck with out of date stuff". I think the grocers would prevail over the distributors in that instance.

TexasAGGIEinAR
techno-ag said:

fka ftc said:

Tastes about the same. Light beer was invented to appeal to the widest variety of tastes. It seeks to not offend by being as flavorless as possible.

Unfortunately for Bud Light, that becomes a liability when you tell customers they're not woke enough to drink your beer.

Bud Light tastes like smell of the inside of a beer titty. It's much worse than Miller Lite and Coors Light. Busch Light is also much better.
agent-maroon
AG
bonfarr said:

Used to be like 110 days from the born-on date but they increased it to around 6 months several years ago.

Quote:

Bud Light is classified as an American Light Lager
https://hopstersbrew.com/is-bud-light-a-lager/

Quote:

Lagering is a form of beer maturation on the yeast that usually lasts for several weeks, if not months, at or near-freezing temperatures, after fermentation and before filtration and/or packaging of the beer.
https://beerandbrewing.com/dictionary/rOqc2p417q/

Lager beers are supposed to improve with long term storage, not degrade with time. This is understood by knowledgeable and obnoxious homebrewers & beer snobs like myself. When AB came up with the whole "born on" & "fresh beer is better" marketing campaign years (decades?) ago is when they actually lost me as the occasional customer.

I find the irony in the fact that they victimized themselves with their own BS marketing campaign and can't store their product because of the "Born On" date that they printed on the cans to be far and away more satisfying than their products themselves.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Tramp96
TexasAGGIEinAR said:

Bud Light tastes like smell of the inside of a beer titty.

What is a beer titty, and how do you know the smell of the inside of a beer titty?

bonfarr
AG
Tramp96 said:

TexasAGGIEinAR said:

What is a beer titty, and how do you know the smell of the inside of a beer titty?

Beer titty sounds like a good thing, where can I get one?
ProgN
Tramp96 said:

TexasAGGIEinAR said:

CDUB98
AG
I like beer.

I like titties.

I fail to see a problem combining the two.
Tramp96
bonfarr said:

Tramp96 said:

TexasAGGIEinAR said:

I agree, and I was tracking along those lines until I got to where he said "the inside" of one.

I love titties. I love pretty much all titties. But I don't want anything to do with the inside of one.
ProgN
bonfarr said:

Tramp96 said:

TexasAGGIEinAR said:

Your Happy Place of course.
TexasAGGIEinAR
Tramp96 said:

TexasAGGIEinAR said:

I'm from the country and we call a "coozie" or "huggie" a beer titty. And to smell them, you simply stick your nose in them and inhale.
agent-maroon
AG
Biggest. Buzzkill. Ever.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
First Page Last Page
Page 55 of 108

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.