Dairy Explosion

5,527 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by BG Knocc Out
StockHorseAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.newschannel10.com/2023/04/11/multiple-sources-report-1-hospitalized-after-explosion-south-fork-dairy-dimmitt/

Cue all the conspiracy theorists saying that the government is behind this.

Due to my experience from working in big AG most of my life, what I think is going on with all of these fires and other catastrophes happening to AG businesses is the lack of trained employees since their turn over is so high. All it takes is an employee who is new and doesn't really care about the safety polices smoking next to the methane digester to cause something like this.
When I worked at a feedyard feed mill I had to show a 30yr old guy how to fill up a leaf blower with gas. It's employees like that who are causing all of these fires.
Rapier108
Also, there was a lot of deferred maintenance since 2020 which now is coming back to bite as well.

Sadly, some people aren't happy unless they think every single action/event in the world is part of a grand conspiracy.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
javajaws
AG
While I don't doubt this theory - I'm just wondering how things got so bad since pre-COVID. Where did all the good workers go (all industries)? This is turning into some real Atlas Shrugged. I'm guessing a lot of this is older experienced workers retiring while new generation just doesn't know how to do much other than stare at their phones.
Muktheduck
javajaws said:

While I don't doubt this theory - I'm just wondering how things got so bad since pre-COVID. Where did all the good workers go (all industries)? This is turning into some real Atlas Shrugged. I'm guessing a lot of this is older experienced workers retiring while new generation just doesn't know how to do much other than stare at their phones.

Idk, seems like a predictable result of refusing to hire competent candidates due to their skin color. Naturally less competence is going to lead to more accidents
Fightin_Aggie
AG
Muktheduck said:

javajaws said:

Idk, seems like a predictable result of refusing to hire competent candidates due to their skin color. Naturally less competence is going to lead to more accidents

I think you mean more coincidences
The world needs mean tweets

My Pronouns Ultra and MAGA

Trump 2024
BigOil
AG
javajaws said:

I'm seeing this in O&G industry. Things you should assume are common sense are no longer a given, and there's a dearth of critical thinking and problem solving and being inquisitive. Waves of retirements and layoffs have finally caught up.
YouBet
AG
Agree with y'all that isn't a conspiracy. We are witnessing the downfall of Rome. People no longer know how to do stuff generally speaking. So much is automated and living online exacerbates the situation.
fightingfarmer09
javajaws said:

Since Covid it has gotten HORRENDOUSLY bad.

Everyone spending a year spending stipends on drug habits haven't helped.
Muy
AG
I hate reading this stuff since my older son works in supply chain and is always working in manufacturing plants like this and other food processing plants.
StockHorseAg
AG
The deferred maintenance problem is also what is causing all of the train derailment problems in my opinion. Along with longer trains and more pressure to preform with less crews.
Rydyn
AG
"Dairy Explosion"

No one has made the obvious lactose intolerance joke yet?

Come on,TexAgs...You're getting too serious about this politics stuff.
We live on a tax farm as free range humans.
Ellis Wyatt
Quote:

I'm seeing this in O&G industry. Things you should assume are common sense are no longer a given, and there's a dearth of critical thinking and problem solving and being inquisitive.
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

All it takes is an employee who is new and doesn't really care about the safety polices smoking next to the methane digester to cause something like this.

Our Co-op had a guy who would smoke while unloading grain trucks full of sorghum in the pit in the elevator.

I hated to be that guy and report him to the manager, but I didn't like being the next truck waiting to dump when the grain dust explosion happened.
Whirligigs
Rydyn said:

"Dairy Explosion"

No one has made the obvious lactose intolerance joke yet?

Come on,TexAgs...You're getting too serious about this politics stuff.

Beat me to it - I was going to say I just had a dairy explosion at the office today. It was glorious.
Kenneth_2003
AG
javajaws said:

Deferred maintenance for sure followed now my supply chain issues limiting the ability to get the parts needed.

The next is Forced retirements, a LOT of older workers did just shrug when they were sent home during covid.

One other thing is increased job hopping. Fewer and fewer lifetime company people. Those old folks that have been there 20,30,40 years KNOW that facility. Now you have high turnover and low tenure. Who do you want running a process? A HS grad with 30 years on that factory floor? Or a College degree with 3 jobs in two industries in the past 8 years?
snizzler22
AG
I've heard a vacuum pump went out that moved the methane gas out of the facility, but not sure how it was ignited. All the cows perished or had to be put down, around 12,000 hd.

Edited to change number to 12k as that's what I'm now hearing and hope that's high. Lots of stories and rumors flying around so take number with a grain of salt. Saw a video of inside the barn and it's awful. Cows melted to the pens. Can't imagine the heat needed to cause that.
Rapier108
StockHorseAg said:

The deferred maintenance problem is also what is causing all of the train derailment problems in my opinion. Along with longer trains and more pressure to preform with less crews.
Yep
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
CanyonAg77
AG

Rapier108
snizzler22 said:

I've heard a vacuum pump went out that moved the methane gas out of the facility, but not sure how it was ignited. All the cows perished or had to be put down, around 17,000 hd.
A methane explosion makes sense given it was a very large kaboom.

As for how it ignited, methane gas will always find an ignition source sooner or later. Decent chance the actual ignition source, assuming it was a methane explosion, will never be found.

Edit: Removed pictures since they were posted as I was typed up this post.
Old May Banker
AG
Damn... 17,000 head of dairy cattle killed?
Muy
AG
StockHorseAg said:

Weird. Didn't Obama and Biden fleece our tax dollars for "infrastructure" improvements?
SunrayAg
AG
ABATTBQ11
AG
javajaws said:

A lot moved to other industries. A huge number of people had time and money to go upskill and get into better jobs, and they did.
Rapier108
Muy said:

StockHorseAg said:

Weird. Didn't Obama and Biden fleece our tax dollars for "infrastructure" improvements?
Except railroads are privately owned. Their faux-infrastructure bills were about "roads and bridges".
ABATTBQ11
AG
Muy said:

StockHorseAg said:

Rail lines are privately owned, maintained, and operated.
CanyonAg77
AG
Old May Banker said:

Damn... 17,000 head of dairy cattle killed?
Must have been smoke inhalation, or maybe they overheated and had heart attacks. Assuming cows can have heart attacks
AgBandsman
AG
StockHorseAg said:

https://www.newschannel10.com/2023/04/11/multiple-sources-report-1-hospitalized-after-explosion-south-fork-dairy-dimmitt/

Cue all the conspiracy theorists saying that the government is behind this.

Due to my experience from working in big AG most of my life, what I think is going on with all of these fires and other catastrophes happening to AG businesses is the lack of trained employees since their turn over is so high. All it takes is an employee who is new and doesn't really care about the safety polices smoking next to the methane digester to cause something like this.
When I worked at a feedyard feed mill I had to show a 30yr old guy how to fill up a leaf blower with gas. It's employees like that who are causing all of these fires.
Or it takes a government agent to convince a low-skilled new-hire to smoke a cigarette beside the methane digester.

kinda like the undercover agents did on 1/6.
Manhattan
javajaws said:

It's moreso, do you want to work a low level job in a dairy, or go work at an Amazon warehouse?
degreedy
AG
My father talked to the local sheriff who was on scene last night, said that after some of the fire had burned down there was a surviving cow that was walking around with its face melted off and a hole burned in its side from the fire with guts dragging out. Instantly put it down. Terrible.
Albatross Necklace
Rapier108 said:

Also, there was a lot of deferred maintenance since 2020 which now is coming back to bite as well.

Sadly, some people aren't happy unless they think every single action/event in the world is part of a grand conspiracy.

Imagine living thru 2020 and immediately dismissing conspiracy theories.
IBombedTheMoon
AG
I sell vacuum pumps to the food industry for a living… almost positive I'm not responsible, almost.
fightintxag13
AG
While I get your point, this facility was pretty new. Construction on it was finished in the last 12-18 months. The word I heard was that it was a new vacuum pump that was pumping the methane out of the barn failed. This dairy is totally enclosed, as in the cows never actually go outside, so you can see why such a failure could be potentially catastrophic.

Who knows where the ignition source was, but as an earlier poster said, it's not hard to ignite a buildup of combustible gas.
agcrock2005
AG
YouBet said:

Agree with y'all that isn't a conspiracy. We are witnessing the downfall of Rome. People no longer know how to do stuff generally speaking. So much is automated and living online exacerbates the situation.
AI coming soon to help us out!!!
CanyonAg77
AG
fightintxag13 said:

While I get your point, this facility was pretty new. Construction on it was finished in the last 12-18 months...

This dairy is totally enclosed, as in the cows never actually go outside, so you can see why such a failure could be potentially catastrophic...

Who knows where the ignition source was, but as an earlier poster said, it's not hard to ignite a buildup of combustible gas.

Looked at Google Maps. It isn't 100% indoors, you can see some open air pens on the south side. But it certainly does have a huge covered area. I'd guess it's as big as 700 feet by 2500 feet

Google Maps link

Oh, and the grey arc along the upper left of the big barn is an artifact. An old road that still shows on Google Maps

WestTexAg12
AG
My dad works in that area on multiple dairy farms. This is what he sent me.

"A machine that picks up manure and waste from the pens caught fire outside of the building. The driver pulled up close to the building in order to access a water hose. The flames ignited blown insulation and fans that supplied cooling air and ventilation provided extra oxygen to the fire. There are multiple such fans on the building and the air supply was like a bellows. The cattle were trapped and many trampled, smoked, or burned.
The owner has a dairy here at Lariat and a calf ranch just outside of Muleshoe. I do work for those facilities. I have never met the owner. $34 million in cows alone lost!"

So sad that a simple thing turns into that much damage.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.