MN Governor Tim Walz Signs Bill for Free Meals

5,691 Views | 118 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Build It
ABattJudd
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AGinHI said:

gigem70 said:

Seems like a huge waste of taxpayer money.
And a huge waste of food.

Because a lot of it gets thrown in the trash.

We have this in my school district in Florida. I work cafeteria duty in the mornings, and it is AMAZING how much gets thrown away. I asked a kid once why he got something from the line just to throw it away… he told me they are required to take an item from each food group. They are not allowed to just grab an orange juice or just grab a sausage sandwich or whatever. So the kids have to grab the thing that they want along with two or three other items they don't want that just get thrown away. It makes my economics teacher brain hurt every morning.
"Well, if you can’t have a great season, at least ruin somebody else’s." - Olin Buchanan
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Tanya 93 said:

This lines the pockets of Aramark etc with very few kids actually eating most of the daily lunch and breakfast.
Yep, cronyism payoff to someone with a bunch of leftover, untouched food that is put in a landfill.

Person Not Capable of Pregnancy
boboguitar
AG
Tanya 93 said:

boboguitar said:

Quote:

Very few are hungry,
Source?

Volunteering at food banks and watching in the cafeteria with the share baskets inundated with the free food they don't want and the cans being full when the share baskets can hold no more.

I know know, anecdotes aren't proof or a source. Just like listing studies saying the number of kids living in poverty doesn't prove the kids are hungry.

This lines the pockets of Aramark etc with very few kids actually eating most of the daily lunch and breakfast.
I mean, I can match anecdotes as well. Like you, a long time ago, I used to be a teacher at title 1 schools. A huge percentage of my kids only meal was the free breakfast and lunch they got at school, otherwise, they would be hungry.
RebelE Infantry
AG
Rapier108 said:

Not the government's job to feed every kid in the state.

If the government is going to mandate that children attend school all day, then yes it is the government's job to ensure that they are fed.
The flames of the Imperium burn brightly in the hearts of men repulsed by degenerate modernity. Souls aflame with love of goodness, truth, beauty, justice, and order.
94AGBQ
AG
boboguitar said:

Tanya 93 said:

boboguitar said:

Quote:

Very few are hungry,
Source?

Volunteering at food banks and watching in the cafeteria with the share baskets inundated with the free food they don't want and the cans being full when the share baskets can hold no more.

I know know, anecdotes aren't proof or a source. Just like listing studies saying the number of kids living in poverty doesn't prove the kids are hungry.

I mean, I can match anecdotes as well. Like you, a long time ago, I used to be a teacher at title 1 schools. A huge percentage of my kids only meal was the free breakfast and lunch they got at school, otherwise, they would be hungry.

Okay, so the truly poor kids got a free lunch. They still do. Why is this being expanded to all kids? You mean to tell me that kids with family incomes over say $50000 still need a free lunch? How about $100000? $200000 or more?
agdoc2001
AG
boboguitar said:

Quote:

Very few are hungry,
Source?

https://www.usnews.com/news/health-news/articles/2022-07-25/obesity-rates-continue-to-climb-among-u-s-kids-teens
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
IslanderAg04
YNWA.2013 said:

It's just amazing how not a single response was in favor of not having kids go to school hungry. Maybe y'all don't do your own groceries but lately a "ham sandwich, an apple, a yogurt, and milk" do not cost "about a buck fifty."

When I was in grade school, I didn't get a free breakfast/lunch but I did get a "reduced cost" lunch (don't remember the exact language but it was something along those lines). It cost me 40 cents to get breakfast and $1.25 to buy lunch. I did have kids in my group of friends that did get their meals for free as it was based on family income. And I am so grateful for the school district and the taxpayers that made that possible for us so we wouldn't be hungry. As an adult now that pays taxes, I would be so glad if those taxes were used to do the same for other kids.

Have you seen kids in the US lately? Believe me, these fat ****ers are not going hungry.

Year after year we create softer generations.
lobopride
Americans will know what real hunger looks like within a couple of decades.
PanzerAggie06
AG
So, tax payers are covering the bill to feed the vast majority of kids whose parents are perfectly capable of feeding them on their own with no government assistance? Insanity. Why would they feel the need to give away food to kids who live in the Minnesota version of Highland Park/River Oaks?

boboguitar
AG
agdoc2001 said:

boboguitar said:

Quote:

Very few are hungry,
Source?

https://www.usnews.com/news/health-news/articles/2022-07-25/obesity-rates-continue-to-climb-among-u-s-kids-teens
That doesn't support the statement at all.
Tanya 93
lobopride said:

Americans will know what real hunger looks like within a couple of decades.

Maybe

But the bulk of hunger in this country has less to do with not being able to afford food or lack of food banks/pantries/free dinners, and more to do with being being too picky or too good to eat what they are being given.

SNAP needs to be reformed to be like WIC and cooking and budgeting needs to be mandated in HS. Maybe MS as well.

We have a church that provides a hot dinner every single night for anyone who shows up.

The number of people you can hear *****ing loudly about the food is pathetic.

How many ****ing times this week are we having pasta bakes with ****ing salad and green beans?

Rice and beans again?

Only three chicken strips and potatoes and gravy with fruit?

It isn't hunger for most. It is selfishness and entitlement
I do not want people to be very agreeable, as it saves me the trouble of liking them a great deal.

Jane Austen
Owlagdad
94AGBQ said:

boboguitar said:

Tanya 93 said:

boboguitar said:

Quote:

Very few are hungry,
Source?

Okay, so the truly poor kids got a free lunch. They still do. Why is this being expanded to all kids? You mean to tell me that kids with family incomes over say $50000 still need a free lunch? How about $100000? $200000 or more?

So poor kids won't be singled out with embarrassment, and also cafeteria doesn't have to do paperwork.
Lol, when I was a kid and determined others had more, it did not bother me. We were all friends. I think the liberals have driven a wedge in that, by telling poor folks those with money crapped on them.
My goal was not to hate the rich, but to become rich (never made it). Lol on last two a day practice before school started, coach would ask who wanted to work in cafeteria. The lady asked coach because all the poor kids were undependable. Got out of Alg II 5 minutes early and got double helpings of enchiladas and fried chicken, and two of those rolls I smelled all morning cooking.
Initially lunch program was provided because hungry kids learn better. Now it is political tool.
sam callahan
Why not "free" clothes?

"Free" utilities?

"Free" vacations?
cap-n-jack
aggiehawg said:

Uhmm? When I was a kid in the 60s, my lunchbox was a baloney sandwich, milk in the thermos and maybe a orange, part of an apple, or cookies, homemade.

I never knew any better.

But what kind of lunch box? That is the important part. I had a 007 and G I Joe lunch box. And the thermos had a glass insulator and never made it past a day or two. Dropped, broke and ruined what ever wonderfulness was inside.
combat wombat™
AG
I wonder if just giving everyone the free meals will cost less than making families prove need. That's going to cut the need for a lot of administrators.

Probably not.

I wouldn't have a bigger problem with this if they were providing quality food. School lunches are about the worst quality meals provided to kids. Almost all is highly processed foods. High in sugar. It's crap.

HumpitPuryear
AG
sam callahan said:

Why not "free" clothes?

"Free" utilities?

"Free" vacations?

Those are all human rights so those will be free too.

I grew up in a small mostly poor school district before these benevolent programs . I vividly remember some of my poorer classmates unable to participate in dodgeball and such during recess due to their depleted condition and the occasional child that just mysteriously stopped coming to school.

Wait, no that never actually happened because kids were fine. Parents or grandparents made sure kids were taken care of because the community was pretty harsh on you if you didn't. People were ashamed to rely on charity.
not hedge
It's pretty appalling all the comments on here about kids who just want to be fed, you would think the government is giving them a bran new Tesla based on the reactions
Line Ate Member
AG
I worked at a lower income school. Our administration recognized that some of our kids only meals would be at school. They researched and found a non-profit whose focus was making sure that all kids had 3 meals a day.

They would show up after school and set-up in the cafeteria and provide a meal to any student who wanted one. All you had to do was show them your ID and you would get a meal.

This helped the kids that needed it as well as the over achieving kids that would be on campus doing extracurricular activities until 6.

Government gets in the way of orgs like this. But when the government wants its people to beholden to it, you see these types of laws get passed behind the guise of "for the kids". Another overreach and Avenue that the government should not be involved in.
Tanya 93
not hedge said:

It's pretty appalling all the comments on here about kids who just want to be fed, you would think the government is giving them a bran new Tesla based on the reactions

Why should my son get free meals?

This is about helping those who can't afford food right l?
I do not want people to be very agreeable, as it saves me the trouble of liking them a great deal.

Jane Austen
CheeseSndwch
Line Ate Member said:

They would show up after school and set-up in the cafeteria and provide a meal to any student who wanted one. All you had to do was show them your ID and you would get a meal.

That's racist!
not hedge
I've personally had times where my meal account was depleted and I couldn't eat, granted I was 15 so I really didn't care. But I wouldn't want young kids to not have food. Everybody has different home lifes. Sadly a meal from a public school might be the best they get all day or week
Tanya 93
not hedge said:

I've personally had times where my meal account was depleted and I couldn't eat, granted I was 15 so I really didn't care. But I wouldn't want young kids to not have food. Everybody has different home lifes. Sadly a meal from a public school might be the best they get all day or week

That doesn't answer the question.

Why should everyone get a free meal, when in the case of my demon spawn and his school, most don't need this?

not hedge
Equity for all
SpreadsheetAg
AG
aggiehawg said:

Uhmm? When I was a kid in the 60s, my lunchbox was a baloney sandwich, milk in the thermos and maybe a orange, part of an apple, or cookies, homemade.

I never knew any better.

Better? That sounds like a great kids meal to me.

I know I'm preaching to the choir here Mrs. Hawg, but for the greater audience - the meals the government will provide will half as nutritious, 4x more costly, and probably taste terrible.
gbaby23
AG
This just makes it easier to pump children full of chemical slop
Tanya 93
not hedge said:

Equity for all

WTF does that mean?

Take care of those who need it and not all because parents are too lazy to pay for or pack a lunch.

Tanya 93
SpreadsheetAg said:

aggiehawg said:

I never knew any better.

Better? That sounds like a great option to me.

Bologna sucks.

Hence I started packing my lunch at 7
Catag94
AG
sanangelo said:

Jack Squat 83 said:

This is great news. The more free stuff(reparations, food, etc) those states offer, the more the freeloaders move there and away from hard-working, independent Americans. They need to start giving away cars somewhere, EVs of course.
problem is some Texas ISDs feed everyone too.

Quite a few in fact. And the kids growing up in this think that government provisions are just normal. Completely sad to see our country losing like this.
not hedge
It's not about laziness, we both know that
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Tanya 93 said:

SpreadsheetAg said:

aggiehawg said:

I never knew any better.

Better? That sounds like a great option to me.

Bologna sucks.

Hence I started packing my lunch at 7

Bologna was a staple in our house.. fried bologna and avocado sandwich with mustard (before avocados became a hipster fruit and the prices were hacked through the roof).

I also LOVE fried spam on a biscuit. My kids will choose fried spam over just about any other meat except for steak.
Owlagdad
not hedge said:

Lol. I'll reach out there and say lots are not fed because their parents don't feed them, yes, no fault of the kid. But would venture to say if these programs were not there, their parents would feed them.
Ever had a garage sale where the "poor" come to shop and their kid puts a toy in their pocket and the parent expects you to give it to them, then pull out wad of cash to buy something else?
Also why are poor kids and their mommas obese? We have thrown all kinds of education at them, matter of fact, thrown all kinds of money at them on how NOT to have kids, yet they still do. Perpetual government wards.
Tanya 93
not hedge said:

It's not about laziness, we both know that

How much time do you spend at food banks?

Many parents don't want to spend their "funds" feeding their kids.

Please get back to me when you do spend time providing groceries and meals to these entitled foot warts.
not hedge
Cheap food is higher in saturated fats and processed crap. It's a fact that it's cheaper to eat junk food than a healthy meal
Maroon Dawn
AG
boboguitar said:

Tanya 93 said:

boboguitar said:

Quote:

Very few are hungry,
Source?

Complete lie to push a troll
Tanya 93
not hedge said:

Cheap food is higher in saturated fats and processed crap. It's a fact that it's cheaper to eat junk food than a healthy meal

Only if lazy.

Which I guess you are.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.