Keep an eye on this Silicon Valley Bank Financial thing

80,145 Views | 896 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Not Coach Jimbo
LMCane
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Tex117 said:

LMCane said:

Ag87H2O said:

Dies Irae said:

The market is pricing in a Fed rate cut. The 2 year t-bill is .72% below the Fed rate, which means its likely going down.
So now they have essentially backed themselves into a corner and pouring gasoline on a fire is their best option.

They are normalizing inflation/stagflation. Welcome back to the late70s - early 80s. Eventually you have to take the medicine, it tastes like crap, and it doesn't get better with age.

I'm guessing this is why the markets have whipsawed 600 points over the course of 3 hours

the larger market is licking their chops at JPow finally being beaten into submission and "pivoting" to lower rates.

ZIRP days from now until infinity!
That's what they think will happen. Maybe they just think it wont be a half a point raise.

But he will raise a quarter point (and maybe even the half point depending on the consumer data this week). Its also staying there.

Powell is no where close to being beat into submission.
wow if that happens the markets may really tank

because clearly all the metrics are now showing the 'street' expects there NOT to be many more rate increases but instead a lowering of rates

if JPowell keeps moving that ship right into the minefield..

watch out below

and just looking at this through a political lens- high inflation would be much preferable to Biden

than numerous bank collapses and the entire economy going down.
ac04
scroll up slightly to see how other regional banks are faring at the moment. or perhaps take a glance at how many bank stocks were halted today.

captkirk
AG
captkirk
AG
Bill Clinternet
AG
ac04 said:

scroll up slightly to see how other regional banks are faring at the moment. or perhaps take a glance at how many bank stocks were halted today.

This is a precautionary measure due to the perceived chance of a bank run. This is hedging a self fulfilling prophecy from coming true.

It is not an indicator of the health of the system.
"I am neither an Athenian nor a Greek, but a citizen of the world"-Plato, attributed to Socrates, Theaetetus-
ac04
is this press release from yesterday an indicator of the health of the system? https://www.federalreserve.gov/newsevents/pressreleases/monetary20230312a.htm

Quote:

To support American businesses and households, the Federal Reserve Board on Sunday announced it will make available additional funding to eligible depository institutions to help assure banks have the ability to meet the needs of all their depositors. This action will bolster the capacity of the banking system to safeguard deposits and ensure the ongoing provision of money and credit to the economy.

The Federal Reserve is prepared to address any liquidity pressures that may arise.

The additional funding will be made available through the creation of a new Bank Term Funding Program (BTFP), offering loans of up to one year in length to banks, savings associations, credit unions, and other eligible depository institutions pledging U.S. Treasuries, agency debt and mortgage-backed securities, and other qualifying assets as collateral. These assets will be valued at par. The BTFP will be an additional source of liquidity against high-quality securities, eliminating an institution's need to quickly sell those securities in times of stress.
let me know if you need me to explain the implications of the bolded portion.
Bill Clinternet
AG
ac04 said:

is this press release from yesterday an indicator of the health of the system? https://www.federalreserve.gov/newsevents/pressreleases/monetary20230312a.htm

Quote:

To support American businesses and households, the Federal Reserve Board on Sunday announced it will make available additional funding to eligible depository institutions to help assure banks have the ability to meet the needs of all their depositors. This action will bolster the capacity of the banking system to safeguard deposits and ensure the ongoing provision of money and credit to the economy.

The Federal Reserve is prepared to address any liquidity pressures that may arise.

The additional funding will be made available through the creation of a new Bank Term Funding Program (BTFP), offering loans of up to one year in length to banks, savings associations, credit unions, and other eligible depository institutions pledging U.S. Treasuries, agency debt and mortgage-backed securities, and other qualifying assets as collateral. These assets will be valued at par. The BTFP will be an additional source of liquidity against high-quality securities, eliminating an institution's need to quickly sell those securities in times of stress.
let me know if you need me to explain the implications of the bolded portion.
Will do
"I am neither an Athenian nor a Greek, but a citizen of the world"-Plato, attributed to Socrates, Theaetetus-
Tex117
AG
LMCane said:

Tex117 said:

LMCane said:

Ag87H2O said:

Dies Irae said:

The market is pricing in a Fed rate cut. The 2 year t-bill is .72% below the Fed rate, which means its likely going down.
So now they have essentially backed themselves into a corner and pouring gasoline on a fire is their best option.

They are normalizing inflation/stagflation. Welcome back to the late70s - early 80s. Eventually you have to take the medicine, it tastes like crap, and it doesn't get better with age.

I'm guessing this is why the markets have whipsawed 600 points over the course of 3 hours

the larger market is licking their chops at JPow finally being beaten into submission and "pivoting" to lower rates.

ZIRP days from now until infinity!
That's what they think will happen. Maybe they just think it wont be a half a point raise.

But he will raise a quarter point (and maybe even the half point depending on the consumer data this week). Its also staying there.

Powell is no where close to being beat into submission.
wow if that happens the markets may really tank

because clearly all the metrics are now showing the 'street' expects there NOT to be many more rate increases but instead a lowering of rates

if JPowell keeps moving that ship right into the minefield..

watch out below

and just looking at this through a political lens- high inflation would be much preferable to Biden

than numerous bank collapses and the entire economy going down.
It really depends on how the Fed truly views SVB. If they view it as a tech-heavy specific bank...I think Powell keeps going. This is what he wants! Taking out the froth...especially from tech which enjoyed absolutely silly amounts of free money over the last decase. If they think this is truly more systemic, they slow down.

The Street just wants free money again. They will throw a hissy fit to get it.

Today's winner for the General Board Burrito Lottery is:

Tex117
cone
AG
fka ftc
Best to leave those who pray to their ChiCom overlords via their username alone.
Four Seasons Landscaping
Probably the UAE buyer that was rumored on Twitter.
YouBet
AG
cone said:

Probably one of those house companies that hound you about buying your house and then if you actually talk to them they offer to buy it for 50% of its worth.
DallasAg 94
Sharpshooter
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

Co-worker in Europe told me that a British Bank (i think) bought the British assets of SVB for one British Pound.
I believe all of your comment, but for the SVB part is true. It was for purchase of another bank for 1 pound.
Krombopulos Michael
LMCane said:

cone said:

LOL I actually watched this last week on youtube! it's not a very good movie so I turned it off shortly before the ending

the problem with that movie is that no real human beings talk and act that way- they are all portrayed as stereotypes of what a bank employee would act like.

they literally spoke like robots and hollywood actors playing brokers

How did you expect them to portray billionaires and their millionaire minions reacting to a complete meltdown of their bank that threatened to implode the entire global monetary system?

The Big Short is more entertaining and a better big picture view of what actually occurred in 2008.

The simplest way to explain it is "It's the derivatives, stupid".

Derivatives are the financial instrument that will bring it all down. Way too many over leveraged and insanely complicated contracts between financial institutions who don't really understand the risk or implications if they blow up......Bets on top of bets, on top of bets, on top of bets all hoping market conditions stay the same until maturity.

rsf0626
The fed and govt needs to figure this out asap. Smaller regional banks could be in real danger here with nervous depositors

Big banks, JPM and GS, should be salivating rn
rsf0626
Stat Monitor Repairman

So a win-win for mega-banks as someone pointed out a couple days ago.
japantiger
S
I'm going to be shocked if Crypto is not revealed to be a factor in the lack of funds before it is all over.
“It was miraculous. It was almost no trick at all, he saw, to turn vice into virtue and slander into truth, impotence into abstinence, arrogance into humility, plunder into philanthropy, thievery into honor, blasphemy into wisdom, brutality into patriotism, and sadism into justice. Anybody could do it; it required no brains at all. It merely required no character.”
Joseph Heller, Catch 22
will25u
Here's the plan:

will25u
cone
AG
japantiger
S
Frost Bank in Austin has to be in trouble.
“It was miraculous. It was almost no trick at all, he saw, to turn vice into virtue and slander into truth, impotence into abstinence, arrogance into humility, plunder into philanthropy, thievery into honor, blasphemy into wisdom, brutality into patriotism, and sadism into justice. Anybody could do it; it required no brains at all. It merely required no character.”
Joseph Heller, Catch 22
cgh1999
AG
japantiger said:

Why?
fka ftc
cgh1999 said:

japantiger said:

Why?
Second time I have had Frost mentioned today. I have an idle credit facility with them, should I draw it down?

Move cash away from them?
LMCane
correct, I thought the Big Short was a much better movie.
LMCane
fka ftc said:

cgh1999 said:

japantiger said:

Why?
Second time I have had Frost mentioned today. I have an idle credit facility with them, should I draw it down?

why wouldn't you?

which option could cause you more harm?

moving your money to a different bank,

or waiting to see if the bank you have now enters financial distress?
cgh1999
AG
fka ftc said:

cgh1999 said:

japantiger said:

Why?

I don't have insider knowledge, but IMO Frost is a great bank. There should be a lot of banks that fail before that one. If that happens, your money is worthless anyway.

More importantly, the FDIC is protecting deposits. No one should need to move banks.
Kozmozag
Have to save democrat banks, and democrT depositors. Use republican money.
cgh1999
AG
LMCane said:

fka ftc said:

cgh1999 said:

japantiger said:

Why?

why wouldn't you?

If you're concerned about a bank, hopefully you have done some research and have reasons for the concern. Bad investment mix? Over leveraged loan portfolio? Etc.

Not some internet message board telling you to move money just in case.
fka ftc
LMCane said:

fka ftc said:

cgh1999 said:

japantiger said:

Why?

why wouldn't you?

I should call them up just to **** with them. Its an 8 figure uncollateralized line. My financial adviser may get mad when he has to park it in 20+ different banks to be safe.

As another poster pointed out, Frost is a pretty reliable bank. Unless they have specific exposure related to this current crisis, then I would expect them to actually benefit from the current situation.
richardag
will25u said:

IANAL
So, is it possible a court could rule the stock investors get paid before any of the people/companies/corporations that deposited money in the bank gets paid.

I kinda wonder who owned stock in this bank, Pelosi, Swallwell, bag of Schiff, Hunter, etcetera etcetera etcetera?
Among the latter, under pretence of governing they have divided their nations into two classes, wolves and sheep.”
Thomas Jefferson, Letter to Edward Carrington, January 16, 1787
annie88
AG
This SOB had to go poop and pump up the dementia drugs.

And then some idiot thanks him.

Seriously, **** Joe Biden.

richardag
annie88 said:

Could that be a sarcastic tweet, considering the name Dr. Jebra Faushay?
I honestly don't know.
Among the latter, under pretence of governing they have divided their nations into two classes, wolves and sheep.”
Thomas Jefferson, Letter to Edward Carrington, January 16, 1787
fka ftc
You realize by that point the dementia drugs had been administered just prior and the bowel movement occurred at the podium...
annie88
AG
richardag said:

annie88 said:

Could that be a sarcastic tweet, considering the name Dr. Jebra Faushay?
I honestly don't know.
I'm sure it is sarcastic, I was talking about Biden and the reporter that thanked him for walking away without saying *****

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.