Maine couple that discovered $1.5 billion lithium deposit is fighting in court

6,803 Views | 91 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by APHIS AG
Definitely Not A Cop
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Watermelon Man said:

Definitely Not A Cop said:

Watermelon Man said:

Watermelon Man said:

doubledog said:

You realize that this is what a typical Li mine looks like.
You realize that this is a photo of the Mir Diamond Mine in Siberia, which has been closed for over 15 years, so not at all what a typical Li mine looks like.

But, you know, facts. Who needs them?

So American REM mines don't look like that?
Obviously not. Otherwise, people who are just trying to scare you wouldn't have to lie.

But, by all means, do your own research.

10 second google. Care to admit you are wrong?

Sure, I'll admit that I'm wrong, when someone can show me where I am wrong. Frankly, I'm wrong rather often. But, in this case, I'm not wrong.

You have a picture of the Molycorp Mountain Pass rare earth facility in California's Mojave Desert. Yes, it is an eyesore, in the middle of the desert. But, it isn't all that different than the surrounding geography. Deserts are like that.

But wait, there's more. This is a Rare Earth Element (REE) facility, specifically, a Heavy Rare Earth Element (HREE) facility. Lithium is not heavy (At. Wt. 3) nor is it particularly rare (25th most abundant element in the Earth's crust). So, I doubt they are mining much lithium from the Molycorp Mountain Pass facility.

You just might want to put in more than 10 seconds of research next time.

Ah, so your argument is that it's ok to damage the earth if the land is already ugly? And that a lithium mine will look different? Please post evidence of this.

goatchze
AG
Manhattan said:

I know, I have a pump jack on a wheat farm taking up almost no space… but that isn't what is in the picture now is it?
Very few places on Earth have a well density like the hills north of Bakersfield.
cevans_40
AG
Manhattan said:

Who are the people mandating EVs and banning lithium
mining?

Democrats.

Wow, you really are confused
doubledog
Watermelon Man said:

doubledog said:

Watermelon Man said:

Watermelon Man said:

doubledog said:

You realize that this is a photo of the Mir Diamond Mine in Siberia, which has been closed for over 15 years, so not at all what a typical Li mine looks like.

Obviously not. Otherwise, people who are just trying to scare you wouldn't have to lie.

You are right...

This Li mine is much cleaner.

https://blog.iseekplant.com.au/blog/2018/lithium-mining-delivers-big-for-wa-increased-spodumene-production
Not even close, that's a picture of the Marvel Lock Gold mine Western Australia.

Of course, according to you, we must get rid of all the gold, now. Nasty stuff.

Got me (internet fail).

I am sure a real Li mine looks like Central Park on needle give-a-way day.

Watermelon Man

Watermelon Man said:

Watermelon Man said:

Watermelon Man said:

doubledog said:

Sure, I'll admit that I'm wrong, when someone can show me where I am wrong. Frankly, I'm wrong rather often. But, in this case, I'm not wrong.

You have a picture of the Molycorp Mountain Pass rare earth facility in California's Mojave Desert. Yes, it is an eyesore, in the middle of the desert. But, it isn't all that different than the surrounding geography. Deserts are like that.

But wait, there's more. This is a Rare Earth Element (REE) facility, specifically, a Heavy Rare Earth Element (HREE) facility. Lithium is not heavy (At. Wt. 3) nor is it particularly rare (25th most abundant element in the Earth's crust). So, I doubt they are mining much lithium from the Molycorp Mountain Pass facility.

Ah, so your argument is that it's ok to damage the earth if the land is already ugly? And that a lithium mine will look different? Please post evidence of this.

[Bolding mine] I never made the argument you are accusing me of saying. Please don't put words in my mouth.

And, I have no idea if a lithium mine would look different. Why not post a picture of one? All of the pictures in this post that have been reported to be lithium mines have been demonstrated not to be lithium mines.

It is much easier to fool someone than it is to convince someone that he has been fooled.
CanyonAg77
AG
Teslag said:

Tom Doniphon said:

I wouldn't peg critical thinking as your strong suit.

Nor yours. Many of these lithium strip mines existed long before mass produced EV's existed. None one gave a **** then as long as their Dewalt was lighter and they could look at Texags in the car on their phone.

But now it's a problem.

Ounces of lithium in an iPhone.

17.5 pounds in your Tesla
CanyonAg77
AG
goatchze said:

Manhattan said:

I know, I have a pump jack on a wheat farm taking up almost no space… but that isn't what is in the picture now is it?
Very few places on Earth have a well density like the hills north of Bakersfield.

How many of you who sit and judge me, ever walked the streets of Bakersfield ?
2%er/New Army
I think this whole thread is about having Manhattan explain his position on the African lithium mines and if he has a problem with them. The same question has been asked several times. Why are you throwing out O&G **** that is irrelevant to the conversation?

The crux of it is that you push EVs and other environmentally friendly new tech but disregard the non environmentally friendly reality of where they get the raw materials (not even to mention the atrocities to the local population).

And then you 180 and say not on my lawn.

It's called turning a blind eye and being hypocritical. So quite being a lil ***** and answer these questions/defend your position brotha.
schmellba99
AG
So asl ong as it kind of resembles the surrounding terrain, it's OK then?

And whomever said that a mine once depleted cannot be used for anything is dumb. Mines and quarries are repurposed often if there is a way to make money off the redevelopment.
schmellba99
AG
Watermelon Man said:

Watermelon Man said:

Watermelon Man said:

Watermelon Man said:

doubledog said:

[Bolding mine] I never made the argument you are accusing me of saying. Please don't put words in my mouth.

And, I have no idea if a lithium mine would look different. Why not post a picture of one? All of the pictures in this post that have been reported to be lithium mines have been demonstrated not to be lithium mines.

Albemarle Silver Peak Mine in Nevada is the only operating lithium mine in the us. And it it's exactly picturesque. But it's in the desert and mountains in remote Nevada, so you are probably good with how it looks.

It's also a brine water mine versus a strip mine, which are all over the place for various other elements.
schmellba99
AG

This is the Bikita Minerals Lithium mine in the Masvingo Province, Zimbabwe.
1957'28.11"S
3126'7.16"E

Not exactly a destination for a honeymoon, but not the hell on earth that so many think either. And rest assured - Zimbabwe probably has significantly lower regs on environmental than Maine has.
TheMasterplan
Northeastern NIMBYism at its finest.
TheMasterplan
Manhattan said:

Not much different than this

Feds are spending $4,700,000,000 to cap old wells….
That's in California which is different than pretty much every other oilfield in the world.
Pumpkinhead
AG
That couple apparently owns 3000 acres of land in that area. They will be financially okay regardless of how this turns out.
Tom Doniphon
Pumpkinhead said:

That couple apparently owns 3000 acres of land in that area. They will be financially okay regardless of how this turns out.

What difference should that make? "They already have money so using different rules on them is ok".... ?
eric76
AG

Manhattan said:

Not much different than this

Feds are spending $4,700,000,000 to cap old wells….

Very different. The land an oil rig is on is reusable. The land from a REM mine is not. You can't do anything to it once it's depleted.
Fill it full of water and go fishing?
Watermelon Man
2%er/New Army said:

I think this whole thread is about having Manhattan explain his position on the African lithium mines and if he has a problem with them. ...
Huh... I thought the whole thread was about a couple in Maine and whether or not the Government could prohibit what they do on their land by refusing to admit it is a spodumene quarry and wanting to call it a lithium mine.

This was supported by the posting pictures of several not-lithium mines, I guess to give support to the Government's position.
It is much easier to fool someone than it is to convince someone that he has been fooled.
2%er/New Army
Watermelon Man said:

2%er/New Army said:

I think this whole thread is about having Manhattan explain his position on the African lithium mines and if he has a problem with them. ...
Huh... I thought the whole thread was about a couple in Maine and whether or not the Government could prohibit what they do on their land by refusing to admit it is a spodumene quarry and wanting to call it a lithium mine.

This was supported by the posting pictures of several not-lithium mines, I guess to give support to the Government's position.

Manhattan decided to do his usual chiming in and then ghosting. This does not concern you.
Watermelon Man
2%er/New Army said:

Watermelon Man said:

2%er/New Army said:

Manhattan decided to do his usual chiming in and then ghosting. This does not concern you.
Oh, the thread has been hijacked.

I get it.
AggieMD95
AG
Calm down everyone. We only have ten hrs to survive the climate apocalypse. Don't spend it all arguing !

Don't worry be happy our climate fate is baked in. Al Gore and AOC said so
Manhattan
2%er/New Army said:

I think this whole thread is about having Manhattan explain his position on the African lithium mines and if he has a problem with them. The same question has been asked several times. Why are you throwing out O&G **** that is irrelevant to the conversation?

The crux of it is that you push EVs and other environmentally friendly new tech but disregard the non environmentally friendly reality of where they get the raw materials (not even to mention the atrocities to the local population).

And then you 180 and say not on my lawn.

It's called turning a blind eye and being hypocritical. So quite being a lil ***** and answer these questions/defend your position brotha.

Again, are the people mandating EVs the ones banning lithium mining in Maine?

I'm all for domestic lithium mining. I'm also for spending our fiat currency in other nations natural resources…
APHIS AG
The problem lies is that the land MUST be restored to its original form, to include trees. This is in itself very expensive along with the insurance and other regulatory costs which makes mining cost prohibitive.

To date, environmentalist along with government regulatory demands have made any type of new mining operations impossible.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.