Maine couple that discovered $1.5 billion lithium deposit is fighting in court

6,763 Views | 91 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by APHIS AG
doubledog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
EV lovers and earth first save the environment radicals... this is your future... Unfortunately it will destroy a good chunk of the environment of Maine.

What to do. What to do.

https://www.themainemonitor.org/dep-decision-on-1-5-billion-lithium-excavation-appealed-in-court/
GenericAggie
AG
Their land. Their minerals.
Manhattan
If they can mine it without polluting ground water or downstream water supplies, go for it.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Manhattan said:

If they can mine it without polluting ground water or downstream water supplies, go for it.

The same standards should apply for any lithium mine, don't you agree?
MouthBQ98
AG
Almost all the elements are metallic based on the scientific definition.

There is a functional difference between weakly bonded metal oxides or elemental metals and mineral bound metals that require extensive processing before any potentially toxic metallic elements might be an environmental threat, and that is in the refining process, not the extraction process. The major concern with extraction for mineral ore bound metals is pretty much erosion and perhaps exposure of ground water formation to surface contamination, but the metals themselves aren't chemically separating from the minerals at the mine.
doubledog

You realize that this is what a typical Li mine looks like.
javajaws
AG
This doesn't sound like a problem that some PAC contributions can't fix.
Manhattan
Not much different than this

Feds are spending $4,700,000,000 to cap old wells….
Deputy Travis Junior
Definitely Not A Cop said:

Manhattan said:

Nah man if the pollution isn't generated within US borders it doesn't count
maroonthrunthru
Just open a 3 acre site, which is allowed…

Then when you have extracted all the lithium, shut it down, fill it in…close it up tight…

Open a new 3 acre site, and so forth…

Profit !!!

Or, sell each 3 acre parcel to a unique LLC… Now you have a series of 3 acre parcels…
aggie93
AG
Nah, let's just go all in on electric and not make or supply any of it here in the USA and instead depend on China. They have zero care about the environment but the important thing is being able to have an EV that you can virtue signal with.
"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Ronald Reagan
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Manhattan said:

Very different. The land an oil rig is on is reusable. The land from a REM mine is not. You can't do anything to it once it's depleted.
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
Obligatory 10% to the big guy.
Owlagdad
Ask Paul Pelosi, he is heavily invested in lithium.
doubledog
Manhattan said:

So you replace one environmental problem with another? Does not sound like a step forward.
Bird Poo
AG

Manhattan said:

Good luck getting an answer from this imbecile. Oh wait, she's already deflected to muh fossil fuel pollution by using some obscure picture to justify her hypocrisy.
Manhattan
I know, I have a pump jack on a wheat farm taking up almost no space… but that isn't what is in the picture now is it?
Manhattan
Why wouldn't I want the same standards applied? I'm not for banning oil and gas production, but those who pretend it has no environmental impact are the hypocrites here…
Rocky Rider
AG
I'm sure that with a nice campaign donation to Democrat leaders there will be no problem permitting their mining operation.
...the Big 12 is now viewed as the fifth of the big BCS leagues by many recruits. (Rivals.com national recruiting analyst Mike Farrell; August 2013)

Already the weakest of the “Power Five” conferences, the league (Big 12) is hemorrhaging fans, wins, TV ratings and respect. (SA Express R. Bragg; Oct 12, 2016)
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Manhattan said:

I know, I have a pump jack on a wheat farm taking up almost no space… but that isn't what is in the picture now is it?

Exactly, it takes up zero space, and you can reuse that land if you want to.

That doesn't happen with REM mines. Therefore any sensible person would agree it's not a good comparison.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Manhattan said:

Why wouldn't I want the same standards applied? I'm not for banning oil and gas production, but those who pretend it has no environmental impact are the hypocrites here…

The hypocrites would be those saying we can't mine REM domestically because of pollution issues while buying products using REM. If you are against REM mining domestically, then you should be against REM globally, and not want to use any products that are built from these materials. Especially since there is a heavy implication of slave labor involved with REM mining that you don't see with O&G.
Ag87H2O
AG
More liberal hypocrisy -

Advocate for EVs because they're good for the environment.
Find huge domestic source of raw materials to make EV batteries.
Fight mining these raw materials because it's bad for the environment.

It takes a twisted mind that is divorced from reality to be a liberal.

Manhattan
Who are the people mandating EVs and banning lithium
mining?
richardag
Rocky Rider said:

I'm sure that with a nice campaign donation to Democrat leaders there will be no problem permitting their mining operation.
You are most likely correct.
Among the latter, under pretence of governing they have divided their nations into two classes, wolves and sheep.”
Thomas Jefferson, Letter to Edward Carrington, January 16, 1787
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Manhattan said:

Who are the people mandating EVs and banning lithium
mining?

Outright banning? None, and I never said that. Making it economically infeasible for us to mine, while incentivizing REM usage? Most states. Maine, for example, will cover up to $7500 for the cost of an EV, while fighting it's citizens (as shown in the OP) coming up with ways to actually source materials for their construction.

You would agree that a government offering incentives to buy a certain product for the positive environmental benefits, while stopping you from actually sourcing the materials domestically because of the negative environmental benefits, is a hypocrite at best, correct? Especially with the implication that most 3rd world sourcing is primarily being done with slave labor?
Bird Poo
AG

Manhattan said:

Still waiting on an answer here.
Teslag
AG
Ag87H2O said:

More liberal hypocrisy -

Maines laws against strip mining metals predate EV useage
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Manhattan said:

I guess that is O&G reparations.

Now that you've had your fun with pictures, care to point out all the developed oil fields that looks just like that one? It's like saying transport via tanker is bad because of the Exxon Valdez.

Same argument was made here that one or two EVs burning up after Ian was terribad. Step up the trolling.

Person Not Capable of Pregnancy
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Teslag said:

Ag87H2O said:

More liberal hypocrisy -

Maines laws against strip mining metals predate EV useage

I don't doubt it. But are EV's better for the environment than an ICE? Then why does it matter if we source the material locally? It's still a net benefit to the environment, correct?
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
So it looks like no one read the article.

What the couple wants to do is operate a quarry -- which is apparently cheap and easy to accomplish even in a place like Maine. The land they own is rich with spodumene which is a rock that has high lithium (metal) content.

The Maine environmental agencies want them to go through the lengthy and expensive process of getting a mining permit. They argue that since spodumene has lithium in it, that they're technically operating a mine instead of a quarry.

The state's position would functionally have to be the same if you were quarrying, for instance, limestone. Limestone is a rock but since it has a high calcium (metal) content, you're actually running a mine.
Watermelon Man
doubledog said:

You realize that this is a photo of the Mir Diamond Mine in Siberia, which has been closed for over 15 years, so not at all what a typical Li mine looks like.

But, you know, facts. Who needs them?
Bubblez
They should proceed and operate is like a quarry as that is what it is.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Watermelon Man said:

doubledog said:

You realize that this is a photo of the Mir Diamond Mine in Siberia, which has been closed for over 15 years, so not at all what a typical Li mine looks like.

But, you know, facts. Who needs them?

So American REM mines don't look like that?
Scruffy
AG
ThunderCougarFalconBird said:

So it looks like no one read the article.

What the couple wants to do is operate a quarry -- which is apparently cheap and easy to accomplish even in a place like Maine. The land they own is rich with spodumene which is a rock that has high lithium (metal) content.

The Maine environmental agencies want them to go through the lengthy and expensive process of getting a mining permit. They argue that since spodumene has lithium in it, that they're technically operating a mine instead of a quarry.

The state's position would functionally have to be the same if you were quarrying, for instance, limestone. Limestone is a rock but since it has a high calcium (metal) content, you're actually running a mine.

This.
People need to read before posting.
Teslag
AG
Bubblez said:

They should proceed and operate is like a quarry as that is what it is.

Is in aluminum ore mine a quarry? Is an iron ore mine a quarry?
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.