Artificial womb

6,209 Views | 69 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by NoahAg
Robert L. Peters
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Alan Watts addressed this issue years ago. People think we can make perfect babies, but the problem is that any baby we make or any of it's desired traits, personality, etc. are born from the human mind, which is flawed. You can't build something perfect from the imperfect. Then the question is also, who is determining what are perfect or virtuous traits? What's their agenda?

If you get a Christian, he will want to give that baby the gene that will result in him being a Christian. Same, for Buddhists, Muslims, abortionists, slavers, homosexuals, Marxists, libertarians, whatever.

This is a program destined for disaster. You screw with nature and you're screwing yourself.
HumbleAg04
AG
Ahhh playing God.

Always works out!
Houston Lee
AG
The Green Dragon said:

Alan Watts addressed this issue years ago. People think we can make perfect babies, but the problem is that any baby we make or any of it's desired traits, personality, etc. are born from the human mind, which is flawed. You can't build something perfect from the imperfect. Then the question is also, who is determining what are perfect or virtuous traits? What's their agenda?

If you get a Christian, he will want to give that baby the gene that will result in him being a Christian. Same, for Buddhists, Muslims, abortionists, slavers, homosexuals, Marxists, libertarians, whatever.

This is a program destined for disaster. You screw with nature and you're screwing yourself.
And this is how we end up with the "Grays" that some people call "Aliens"

This is what humans look like after we FAFO (F-Around and Find Out)

agent-maroon
AG
Natural selection & genetics have worked for something like 3.5 billion years. Mankind itself is the current end product of these forces. Why is it this way? Because it is sustainable and it works. Now man with his science and arrogance believes that it can replace this with something better? Might as well think that we can change the climate driven by a star 90+ million miles away.

Libs - if you have no concept of what evil looks like then please understand that this is what evil looks like.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Burdizzo
AG
Funky Winkerbean said:

Did they make an artificial vagina first? Asking for a friend.

Those can be purchased from the ads in the back pages of magazines.
ChemEAg08
AG
God will no judge those creating these types of things kindly.
nortex97
AG
FIDO*98* said:

Germany doesn't do well with human life experiments
This is also being led by a Yemeni 'influencer' who has produced films/social media followings. I seriously doubt this even comes close to the images they have cooked up.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Where else besides Krypton and the Matrix have I seen this?

Oh yes, Star Wars Attack of the Clones
A Net Full of Jello
AG
Zager and Evans predicted this back in 1968.
Quote:

In the year 6565
You won't need no husband, won't need no wife
You'll pick your son, pick your daughter too
From the bottom of a long glass tube

What are we doing?
Showertime at the Bidens

Notice how all of these dystopian advancements are sold as a convenience or means to help some small minority of society. The true intention is never revealed until it's too late.

Science doesn't even understand all the biological connections between a mother and a child in utero. Good chance they all become psychopaths.

PacoPicoPiedra
AG
Hmm…looks like science and technology finally caught up with Hitler's dream of a master race
Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception.
P.U.T.U
AG
I have read books about this...doesn't turn out well in any of them
SouthTex99
AG
AgLaw02
AG
agent-maroon said:

Natural selection & genetics have worked for something like 3.5 billion years. Mankind itself is the current end product of these forces. Why is it this way? Because it is sustainable and it works. Now man with his science and arrogance believes that it can replace this with something better? Might as well think that we can change the climate driven by a star 90+ million miles away.

Libs - if you have no concept of what evil looks like then please understand that this is what evil looks like.
I'll make a counter argument just for fun. You cite the benefits of natural selection, but natural selection is flawed. It's only designed to get us to reproductive age. Natural selection doesn't produce traits that are useful to a person above a certain age (I think. Not a natural selection expert-I'm ready to listen and learn from the more educated here). Also, natural selection can't keep up with the radically changing world. Natural selection developed over a long time, to design humans fit to survive and reproduce in the world. But the traits we built over the ages helped us survive living in caves. These may not be the same traits required for the modern world.

You say it is evil. It is certainly easy to see evil uses this can be put to, as is the case with many scientific changes. Would you agree that there are also non-evil uses to it? Would it be evil for a couple to put their egg and sperm into an artificial womb to have a baby in cases where the woman has a condition that makes her womb not work properly? I don't see evil in that choice.

What about a prospective mother who struggles with substance abuse who wants to protect her developing child from a potential relapse? What about a female athlete or actress or woman serving in the Military who has a scheduled deployment coming up? She could feel pressure to use the artificial womb so her career stays on track. It gets tricky real fast.

WRT genetic modification, that's all just a matter of how far is too far. If you have a history of breast cancer in your family and docs could scrub the breast cancer vulnerability gene from your baby, would you do it? Is that evil?
HarryJ33tamu
"Every growth pod features sensors that can monitor your baby's vital signs, including heartbeat, temperature, blood pressure, breathing rate and oxygen saturation"

Libs - why would this be necessary? I thought babies weren't actually living beings when they were inside the womb??
WHOOP!'91
AG
titan said:

43rd Street Posse said:

Liberal atheists hellbent on playing/replacing God will be the greatest threat the next few generations face.
Doesn't all that have to happen is for God to withdraw protection from Washington? Despite all our talks about weak enemies, suspect one is actually Nebuchadnezzar and we are quite wrong that Milley's guys will beat them. But who is it? Time will tell.
Hey, don't assume their gender, bigot!

ThreatLevel: Midnight
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

Think beyond. This will result in "super babies" and "celebrity babies". People will compete to have the perfect combination of characteristics, and it will eventually homogenize the gene pool as people use the same "desirable" donors over time.

If they have DNA / sperm from people long dead what's to prevent a woman from say... "I'd like to have a baby with Chris Hemsworth's DNA" 100 years from now... or... "I want to have a baby from Elon Musks DNA" then wait 15 years a sue for child support . Instant billionaire. (Assuming you can get access to his DNA; and if they are recently deceased, what's to stop you? The new criminal - sperm grave robbers)

I fully agree with this. This is the first step towards normalizing CRISPR gene editing for designer babies, and then slide right down that slippery slope to trans humanism implants/prosthetics to prevent/remedy "reported" developmental defects.
Think about all the nefarious things that someone could do with 24/7 unfettered access to these developing fetus. They are at the mercy of whatever scientists and lab technicians are running this lab.
Any " experiments" will be explained away as an accident, and some mid-level crony will lose their job, only to be given a Nother position out of sight for a year or two. Rinse and repeat.
Thanks & Gig 'Em
rednecked
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

It is a frequent theme is sci-fi literature
agent-maroon
AG
Traits that are effective only to survive to successful reproduction is not a flaw, but rather how natural selection works. If you do not survive and reproduce then you die and take those weaker traits to the grave without passing them on to your offspring.

What happens when everybody is opting for the artificial womb and then some terrorist organization sets off an EMP? What do we do when we've artificially promoted an oncogene tied to a "desirable" trait that's lethal for everybody over the age of 40? Who is going to be around to fix that when all the geneticists are gone?

Did you miss the part about how natural selection has been operating for BILLIONS of years? And we're talking like it's somehow flawed to the point that man needs to "fix" it?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
PacoPicoPiedra
AG
agent-maroon said:

Traits that are effective only to survive to successful reproduction is not a flaw, but rather how natural selection works. If you do not survive and reproduce then you die and take those weaker traits to the grave without passing them on to your offspring.

What happens when everybody is opting for the artificial womb and then some terrorist organization sets off an EMP? What do we do when we've artificially promoted an oncogene tied to a "desirable" trait that's lethal for everybody over the age of 40? Who is going to be around to fix that when all the geneticists are gone?

And did you miss the part about how natural selection has been operating for BILLIONS of years? And it's flawed to the point that man can "fix" it?

Damn, you just ****ed up the whole entertaining premise of 'Logan's Run'. Or…you found a better solution. I'm perplexed.
Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception.
ArbAg
AG
Hitler would be so proud!
Slyfox07
AG
Pretty sure this is fake.

I'm sure they're working on this sort of thing (after all...it isn't equitable that only women can have babies)

But this looks like a movie production.
aggrad02
AG
Funky Winkerbean said:

I think they invented this a while back.
WHOOP!'91
AG
aggrad02 said:

Funky Winkerbean said:

I think they invented this a while back.
I asked a friend who has some degenerate acquaintances about this, and they said there is something that sounds a whole lot like flash light, but the first word isn't flash.

Just taking their word for it, because I would obviously not know anything about it.
agent-maroon
AG
Burdizzo said:

Funky Winkerbean said:

What are these "magazines" you speak of?
Actual Talking Thermos
SpreadsheetAg said:

what's to prevent a woman from say... "I want to have a baby from Elon Musks DNA
I think she can just ask him, he's really not stingy in this department.
747Ag
AG
BURN IT.
G Martin 87
AG
rednecked said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

It is a frequent theme is sci-fi literature

Also see Frank Herbert's "Eyes of Heisenberg". For that matter, generational genetic manipulation and modification is one of the central themes of Dune.
Burdizzo
AG
agent-maroon said:

Burdizzo said:

Funky Winkerbean said:

They were the things you used to buy with pictures of naked women in them. Sometimes you found them in the woods too.
aggiebrad94
AG
If we are creating perfect trait babies then there will be no more gay people after a generation or two.
Gigem_94
AG
On the other hand, if a fetus could just be removed from a womb and placed in an artificial womb that would resolve the whole "my body my choice" argument - could we just put the whole abortion debate to rest?
rednecked
AG
Burdizzo said:

agent-maroon said:

Burdizzo said:

Funky Winkerbean said:

They were the things you used to buy with pictures of naked women in them. Sometimes you found them in the woods too.
Ah, memories...those were the days.
agent-maroon
AG
rednecked said:

Burdizzo said:

agent-maroon said:

Burdizzo said:

Funky Winkerbean said:

Ah, memories...those were the days.

Yep. My first money making enterprise was looking for aluminum cans in apartment complex dumpsters. The cans provided a cover story and a little cash, but the real prize was the library collection
titan
S
Burdizzo said:

agent-maroon said:

Burdizzo said:

Funky Winkerbean said:

Or related in trash cans. Or one memorable occasion, on the highest shelf above the other magazine stacks like Nat Geos and stuff that had been bought. The high elevation of the shelf only attracted the attention all the more and found a way to reach it.
NoahAg
Damn. Germany gets ousted from the World Cup and it's back to the "Super Race" experiments.
Let's go, Brandon!
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.