Department of Energy to announce Fusion break thru on Tuesday

5,220 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by BadMoonRisin
K2-HMFIC
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Quote:

The federal Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in California, which uses a process called inertial confinement fusion that involves bombarding a tiny pellet of hydrogen plasma with the world's biggest laser, had achieved net energy gain in a fusion experiment in the past two weeks, the people said.

Quote:

The fusion reaction at the US government facility produced about 2.5 megajoules of energy, which was about 120 per cent of the 2.1 megajoules of energy in the lasers, the people with knowledge of the results said, adding that the data was still being analysed.

https://www.ft.com/content/4b6f0fab-66ef-4e33-adec-cfc345589dc7?shareType=nongift

Experimental for sure…but massive implications if this can be scaled.
fka ftc
Going to need a total net carbon calculation and an ESG score before this can even be discussed. Science is silly without considering ESG.
RWWilson
The Department marketing arm is gearing up for budget season.
C@LAg
Aggie Joke Part 2?

https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/science.250.4987.1507
Not Coach Jimbo
If we can't handle nuclear, not sure I trust us to pursue this.
VarkAg77
AG
"Experimental for sure…but massive implications if this can be scaled."

Do implications have mass?
j/k
MEEN Ag 05
AG
Loren Visser
How many women and pocs were on this discovery team?

If it's not enough to satisfy me, then shut it down.
If the pay's right, and it's legal, I'll do it...Well, if the pay's right, I'll do it.
Bazooka Joe
AG
Is that more or less than 1.21 gigawatts?
Get Off My Lawn
We already have nuclear power options that the left is fighting tooth and nail. The group that creates problems so they can whip folks into supporting their causes doesn't want solutions and will shun fusion faster than they did fission.
An L of an Ag
AG
Holy Pons-Fleischman, Batman!
TexAgs91
AG
Not Coach Jimbo said:

If you mean fission, the purpose of fusion is that it's cleaner than fission reactors
ttu_85
Not Coach Jimbo said:

Uh, this IS nuclear fusion not to be confused with nuclear fission
Squadron7
AG
I can't make a decision about this until I hear from Greta and Leo.

And maybe Meghan.
ttu_85
ttu_85 said:

Not Coach Jimbo said:

Uh, this IS nuclear fusion not to be confused with nuclear fission.

Edit: I need to learn to read threads as LIFO
Pinochet
So nothing to do with stealing luggage?
GAC06
AG
Anyone have an article without a paywall?
Rascal
AG
Somewhere Val Kilmer in a fake Russian accent is smiling…
AtlAg05
AG
Was Terrence Howard consulted?!
Deplorable
Great Scott!
TexasAggiesWin
S
Were these ideas stolen in luggage?
agent-maroon
AG
Livermore Laboratory is located on land that once belonged to the Native Americans. A facts a fact- it belongs to them, so let's give it back! I mean, how can we dance when our earth is turning? How can we sleep when our beds are burning?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
AgsMnn
AG
Same fusion that Dr. Emma Russell was working on?
lotoarmy
AG
Wake me up when it actually matters.
Last of the Old Army
IslanderAg04
DallasAg 94
C@LAg said:

Aggie Joke Part 2?

https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/science.250.4987.1507
I worked for Bockris for a season while a student at A&M.

As mentioned above... FleischmannPons was the original issue. I was a student at another institution when that research came out.

IIRC, once they announced their findings, MANY labs around the world announced they were able to reproduce the results. Bockris was one of them.

It is why I have emphasized peer-review with this whole Vaxx thing.

All of these labs that confirmed were trying to get ahead of each other for funding. By declaring they had replicated it, it gave them a head start over others to request funding. LOTs of egg got distributed.
Smeghead4761
I grew up in Livermore. My dad, and most of my friends' dads, all worked at LLNL (aka "The Lab" to everyone in town). Actually, the program that they're talking about, the National Ignition Facility (NIF), was the last program my dad worked on before he retired in 2002.

The NIF is the successor to the Nova laser fusion program, which was the successor to the Shiva program.

They're been saying that they were within "a generation" of usable fusion power since the 1980s.

Getting more energy out that they put in is a big step, BUT...now you have to figure out how to sustain that reaction and how to harvest that energy and turn it into something that's usable and transmissible. Oh, and how to keep it controlled and contained.

We can already do uncontained fusion reactions that give out more energy that we put in. They're called H-bombs.

And yes, clean, abundant, cheap energy is the Watermelons' Greens' worst nightmare.
96AgGrad
AG
This video explains why we are still decades from a viable fusion powerplant

torrid
AG
Smeghead4761 said:

I grew up in Livermore. My dad, and most of my friends' dads, all worked at LLNL (aka "The Lab" to everyone in town). Actually, the program that they're talking about, the National Ignition Facility (NIF), was the last program my dad worked on before he retired in 2002.

The NIF is the successor to the Nova laser fusion program, which was the successor to the Shiva program.

They're been saying that they were within "a generation" of usable fusion power since the 1980s.

Getting more energy out that they put in is a big step, BUT...now you have to figure out how to sustain that reaction and how to harvest that energy and turn it into something that's usable and transmissible. Oh, and how to keep it controlled and contained.

We can already do uncontained fusion reactions that give out more energy that we put in. They're called H-bombs.

And yes, clean, abundant, cheap energy is the Watermelons' Greens' worst nightmare.
I'll be too cheap to meter.
Secolobo
AG
Did a research paper on this in the 80's….
Gov not interested because can't control. Unlimited cheap power can't control "energy efficiency" and types of appliances using it (gas, oil, solar, thermal, etc) so it ruins narratives and specific production markets.
Ag with kids
AG
RWWilson said:

The Department marketing arm is gearing up for budget season.
The budget season started 01 October...
wbt5845
AG
You know, Romulans use a quantum singularity as their power source.
Maroon Dawn
AG
Secolobo said:

Did a research paper on this in the 80's….
Gov not interested because can't control. Unlimited cheap power can't control "energy efficiency" and types of appliances using it (gas, oil, solar, thermal, etc) so it ruins narratives and specific production markets.

This

It ruins wealth and control so politicians have no interest in it
rausr
AG
Secolobo
AG
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.