Congresswoman Hartzler crying over the Respect for Marriage Act

4,865 Views | 63 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by cajunaggie08
cajunaggie08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Republican Congresswoman Hartzler breaks down in tears on the House floor pleading for other representatives to vote down the Respect for Marriage Act. Being forced to recognize other states' marriage licenses really has her all worked up. I thought Democrats were supposed to be the emotional ones.

https://www.businessinsider.com/a-congresswoman-cried-begging-colleagues-to-vote-against-a-same-sex-marriage-bill-2022-12?utm_source=reddit.com
C@LAg
1. marriage SHOULD be left up to the individual states to deal with. not congress.

2. and you want to talk "emotional" since YOU brought it up:

and

https://www.businessinsider.com/a-congresswoman-cried-begging-colleagues-to-vote-against-a-same-sex-marriage-bill-2022-12?utm_source=reddit.com
SociallyConditionedAg
AG
This just opens the door to child marriages and persecution of churches and Christians. Good job, liberals.
BluHorseShu
AG
cajunaggie08 said:

Republican Congresswoman Hartzler breaks down in tears on the House floor pleading for other representatives to vote down the Respect for Marriage Act. Being forced to recognize other states' marriage licenses really has her all worked up. I thought Democrats were supposed to be the emotional ones.

Chicks and histrionics…whada ya gonna do? Am I right?
cajunaggie08
AG
Marriage is still left up to the states. A state isn't being forced to issue marriage certificates for couples they don't believe should be allowed to. But just like many other cases in this country, a license from one state should be recognized by the other state. Would you feel better if it wasn't called marriage but rather "government recognized union with all the benefits and legal protections as what we used to call marriages but churches didn 't like the word being co-opted?"
C@LAg
cajunaggie08 said:

Marriage is still left up to the states. A state isn't being forced to issue marriage certificates for couples they don't believe should be allowed to. But just like many other cases in this country, a license from one state should be recognized by the other state. Would you feel better if it wasn't called marriage but rather "government recognized union with all the benefits and legal protections as what we used to call marriages but churches didn 't like the word being co-opted?"
like my concealed carry license, my voter registration, my driver's license once I move, or the ability to practice law or any other licensed task in a given state, a state should be able to recognize or not something from another state however they want.
Keller6Ag91
AG
cajunaggie08 said:

Yes. It should be a civil union as the word marriage was instituted by the Church and it's founder and creator.

If you keep Marriage and apply it to forms of marriage the Church wouldn't recognize (same sex, multiple wives, children, farm animals, etc), it's not a Marriage ordained and sanctioned by GOD, but by the legal authorities of the entity only.

And that's fine.
Gig'Em and God Bless,

JB'91
cajunaggie08
AG
How does this open the door to child marriages. Do you think one of the states will suddenly going to go full scale Libertarian and say anyone can marry any living person they want regardless of age?
C@LAg
cajunaggie08 said:

How does this open the door to child marriages. Do you think one of the states will suddenly going to go full scale Libertarian and say anyone can marry any living person they want regardless of age?
yes. eventually Dems will push the boundaries into areas that are generally considered unacceptable to the majority of people, regardless of party affiliation.
Kvetch
AG
Well the explicit destruction of the fundamental union of society is a pretty big deal. Honestly not sure why she's the only one distraught by the utter idiocy of the modern body politic.

But hey, just live and let live, man. There is no object truth or moral reality. Right? I'm sure that's a solid philosophy.
43rd Street Posse
cajunaggie08 said:

And? It's only very recently legal in like 29 out of almost 200 countries in the world. I don't think any Asian country has legal same sex marriage...are they all bigoted homophobes?. This is very consistent with history, across time, place and religions. Marriage is between a man and a woman...up until very recently, just in a few places.

In that light, it's actually kind of a big deal to change such an institution.

I'll be honest, I became a "meh, why not?" supporter of gay marriage a while back, but I think I have changed back to against after seeing that that wasn't all they really wanted after all. They want so much more, that I am not willing to budge on.
“Elon's wife left him for a trans woman and he dove right into the alt right pipeline, can't make this stuff up”
-Old McDonald
rocky the dog
AG
Elections are when people find out what politicians stand for, and politicians find out what people will fall for.
cajunaggie08
AG
43rd Street Posse said:

cajunaggie08 said:

And? It's only very recently legal in like 29 out of almost 200 countries in the world. I don't think any Asian country has legal same sex marriage...are they all bigoted homophobes?. This is very consistent with history, across time, place and religions. Marriage is between a man and a woman...up until very recently, just in a few places.

In that light, it's actually kind of a big deal to change such an institution.
The government is just listening to the people for once. If you don't like it, why dont you go move to one of the hundreds of other countries that doesn't allow it.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/350486/record-high-support-same-sex-marriage.aspx
Garrelli 5000
AG
I'll concede her emotional hysterics are....stupid.

If you'll agree your party's emotional hysterics are....stupid.

Your entire platform is based on hysterics, emotional pleas for your feels. Congrats on finding 1 person on the opposite side of the isle that isn't looking at your entire team with a smirtk while you all cry like a tantrum throwing tit. That's your entire party platform for the last decade (at a minimum).

Cry to that reality in your pillow tonight. You brought a knife to a 2nd Amendment sanctioned gun fight.
Staff - take out the trash.
cajunaggie08
AG
C@LAg said:

cajunaggie08 said:

yes. eventually Dems will push the boundaries into areas that are generally considered unacceptable to the majority of people, regardless of party affiliation.
Sadly child marriage is still legal in the majority of states.

Since 2018, six states have banned all marriages before 18: Delaware and New Jersey in 2018, Pennsylvania and Minnesota in 2020, Rhode Island and New York in 2021. Other states have recently tightened permissive child marriage laws, raising ages and adding some safeguards. Looks at those evil Democratic lead states banning marriage.
Ellis Wyatt
cajunaggie08 said:

She is correct that it should be voted down. It will be used to violate our First Amendment rights. Marriage is a state issue. The feds are abusing their power. Again.
43rd Street Posse
cajunaggie08 said:

All bets are off in those psychotic states that are talking about making full term abortions legal, without question. To me that is every bit as bad if not worse than child marriage.
“Elon's wife left him for a trans woman and he dove right into the alt right pipeline, can't make this stuff up”
-Old McDonald
Ol_Ag_02
AG
Keller6Ag91 said:

cajunaggie08 said:

Yes. It should be a civil union as the word marriage was instituted by the Churchand it's founder and creator.

If you keep Marriage and apply it to forms of marriage the Church wouldn't recognize (same sex, multiple wives, children, farm animals, etc), it's not a Marriage ordained and sanctioned by GOD, but by the legal authorities of the entity only.

And that's fine.

So there were zero marriages before the Church? There were no Jewish marriages, Hindu marriages, Buddhist marriages, Zoroastrian marriages, etc, etc?

All of which celebrate marriage and predate Christianity.
TXAGFAN
AG
cajunaggie08 said:

It doesn't, but that's the talking point they heard on tv/radio.
doubledog
cajunaggie08 said:

So if Utah legalizes bigamy, then one could travel to Utah, marry 3 women and then return to Texas and live the good life (if that is what you are in to)? Is that how it works?

43rd Street Posse
TXAGFAN said:

cajunaggie08 said:

I will say this...any gay person who is against polygamous marriages is a complete hypocrite. About as big of a hypocrite as the "my body my choice!" (even though it literally affects a completely different body) people were when it came to vaccine mandates and people simply wanting bodily autonomy and the right to make their own medical decisions.

I think any gay person who is against incestuous marriages is a hypocrite too, personally.
-Old McDonald
TXAGFAN
AG
43rd Street Posse said:

TXAGFAN said:

cajunaggie08 said:

I will say this...any gay person who is against polygamous marriages is a complete hypocrite. About as big of a hypocrite as the "my body my choice!" (even though it literally affects a completely different body) people were when it came to vaccine mandates and people simply wanting bodily autonomy and the right to make their own medical decisions.

I think any gay person who is against incestuous marriages is a hypocrite too, personally.
I care what you think. Forgive me, I don't think gay marriage is the same as marrying your sister or multiple people.
TexasAggie73
AG
Once the Federal government got involved with married couple getting tax benefits, then yes marriage license should be good state to state.
VitruvianAg
AG
cajunaggie08 said:

C@LAg said:

cajunaggie08 said:

Sadly child marriage is still legal in the majority of states.

Since 2018, six states have banned all marriages before 18: Delaware and New Jersey in 2018, Pennsylvania and Minnesota in 2020, Rhode Island and New York in 2021. Other states have recently tightened permissive child marriage laws, raising ages and adding some safeguards. Looks at those evil Democratic lead states banning marriage.

Okay then, what is your boundary for age of consent?

13, 14, 16, 17? I guarantee a majority of American kids are "hooking up" within that cohort.

That's not to say that many people have no business being married at any age if statistics on marriage are to be believed.

My wife's grandparents eloped from the Dairyfarm off to Rockville, MD from Manassas, VA when she was 16, married until the day he died and she followed soon after.
Watermelon Man
The Right Blogosphere has failed in defining this position (I know, shock!).

Obergefell v. Hodges is the decision that prevents states from issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples. That is, any state that refused to issue a marriage license to a same-sex couple would be in violation of that ruling.

This bill does nothing to enforce that ruling. If you feel same-sex marriages are destroying your way of life, that was occurring just as much before this bill as it will after the bill is signed into law. The right of states prevent the issue of marriage license to same-sex couples was affected by Obergefell, not by this bill.
Ag_of_08
AG
SociallyConditionedAg said:

This just opens the door to child marriages and persecution of churches and Christians. Good job, liberals.

Already legal in several states, and most of them very conservative ...

Abhorrent and nasty, but already legalized and sanctioned
Bondag
AG
It's a way to weaponize the IRS against churches

You won't host a gay wedding in the church and your 501c3 status is gone.
FJB
AG
Crazy cat ladies should be able to marry their cats and have it recognized. Bake the kibble cake.
dead
What's up with some people on here talking about marrying kids or farm animals?
Tom_Fox
cajunaggie08 said:

When can I expect NY to recognize my license to carry?

Before or after NYC is underwater from global warming?
Keller6Ag91
AG
Ol_Ag_02 said:

Keller6Ag91 said:

cajunaggie08 said:

Yes. It should be a civil union as the word marriage was instituted by the Churchand it's founder and creator.

And that's fine.

So there were zero marriages before the Church? There were no Jewish marriages, Hindu marriages, Buddhist marriages, Zoroastrian marriages, etc, etc?

All of which celebrate marriage and predate Christianity.
I wasn't implying Christianity, but mainline Religions like Jewish, Hindu, Christian.
Gig'Em and God Bless,

JB'91
Keller6Ag91
AG
dead said:

What's up with some people on here talking about marrying kids or farm animals?
If you can't see the direction this is going, I don't know what to tell you.
Gig'Em and God Bless,

JB'91
Watermelon Man
Tom_Fox said:

cajunaggie08 said:

After would be my bet.
Tom_Fox
Watermelon Man said:

Tom_Fox said:

cajunaggie08 said:

After would be my bet.

That's cool. That should be the same timeline for red states to be required to recognize gay marriages by federal fiat.
Martin Cash
AG
cajunaggie08 said:

Really? So a state can refuse to issue marriage licenses to same sex couples? I thought Obergefell settled that.
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. Ecclesiastes 10:2
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.