Dewalt debuts new electric lawnmower at trade show

7,870 Views | 80 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by torrid
PhatMack19
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Any publicity is good publicity? This happened a week ago. It's weird this hasn't been bigger news. I guess we see what they want us to see.

AgBQ-00
AG
need the laugh cry!!
Agz_2003
AG
I hear it's a scorching hot deal!
MouthBQ98
AG
The current generated by Lion seems to be unstable or unpredictable and perhaps difficult to design for outliers. If you don't design for cooling and over voltage in the system it would appear it can run away occasionally and if it doesn't have a big overbuilt (weight, cost) safety margin built in, you get metallic components heated very quickly to the couple thousand degrees or so it takes to set off a lithium battery fire, and then that sucker is really going to go.
96AgGrad
AG
I hate to say it, but electrical fire is the first thing I thought of when I saw Kamala Harris' new electric school bus yesterday. God forbid one happen while there are kids aboard, though I guess you could say the same about any power technology.

The example below is from China, but still.
CDUB98
AG
"Wanna get away?"
YouBet
AG
Didn't know Dodge had a stake in DeWalt.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
A cut so good, you'll only have to mow once a year
Owlagdad
Old timers say if you burn the grass, it will come back greener. Round about way to get that good looking lawn.
FarmerJohn
AG
Maybe it's their new external combustion engine.

- I'm an engineer and a dad. I'll just leave it at that.
ttha_aggie_09
halfastros81
AG
I will say this about electric mowers tho, I like my Ego mower . It's quiet and I don't have to mess with gasoline. Small lawn tho and it still takes 2 charges.
GeorgiAg
AG
I have a Ryobi electric riding mower. I'm not trying to "save" the environment, it's just awesome to not have to deal with oil, gas, oil changes and more noise.
Tom Doniphon
Quote:

I have a Ryobi electric riding mower.

Shocking.
DallasAg 94
P.U.T.U
AG
It can happen, usually due to assembly but every once in a while they have a thermal runaway and not a dang thing you can do to stop it unless you have the proper fire extinguisher to put it out
CDUB98
AG
I reduced my mower fuel usage and handling by going not green...as in, my entire yard is drought dead.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
GeorgiAg said:

I have a Ryobi electric riding mower. I'm not trying to "save" the environment, it's just awesome to not have to deal with oil, gas, oil changes and more noise.

$200
Adverse Event
Reminder:
Stanley owns DeWalt. Craftsman, Black and Decker, Porter Cable and some other brands.

In case you haven't been following brand consolidation.
Burnsey
AG
Mower fire pit combo
rocky the dog
AG

Elections are when people find out what politicians stand for, and politicians find out what people will fall for.
torrid
AG
The battery is good for 300,000--500,000 lawn mowings.
cevans_40
AG
GeorgiAg said:

I have a gas powered riding lawn mower. Its awesome being able to mow for hours upon hours, teach my kids how to change oil and filters, and I can piss off my nosy, HOA board member neighbors by mowing at 6:00 on Saturday mornings.
Sea Speed
AG
Tom Doniphon said:

Quote:

Shocking.

I'm hard right compared to Georgia and I've got all electric lawn tools. They go months without being used at times and it is beyond annoying trying to get them to start after sitting. If you have 10k sq ft lot or less, it is a no Brainer to use electric. I'm sure you can still get by on larger lots with an extra battery. The only small engine I run these days is my chainsaw. Even switched to electric pressure washer.
The Kraken
AG
halfastros81 said:

I will say this about electric mowers tho, I like my Ego mower . It's quiet and I don't have to mess with gasoline. Small lawn tho and it still takes 2 charges.
My EGO can do it on one charge as long as the grass isn't wet.

It's awesome. No gas can, no oil change, no maintenance.
plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose
GeorgiAg
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

GeorgiAg said:

You spent $3K on an electric riding lawn mower for your house because you didn't want to put gas in a mower?
I have over 20 acres, mostly wooded, but still, I have a lot of grass to mow. Ortho surgeon I know had one and let me try it out. A gas Deere mower costs about the same.

I already have a larger BCS walk behind tractor/tiller/brush mower I have to mess with. But this thing is awesome. There are a bunch of implements you can buy to go with it. I have a mower, brush mower, tiller, log splitter, chipper/shredder implements. https://www.daileysfarmandbcsshop.com/750.html

https://www.daileysfarmandbcsshop.com/implements.html
GeorgiAg
AG
Mr. AGSPRT04 said:

GeorgiAg said:

$200

How much does the Honduran cost to mow several acres with that?
GeorgiAg
AG
Tom Doniphon said:

Quote:

Shocking.
Do you ride in electric golf carts, fellow communist?
Sea Speed
AG
New World Ag said:

halfastros81 said:

My EGO can do it one one charge as long as the grass isn't wet.

Yep, I have an 8k sq ft lot I think and can get it done with one charge as long as it isn't crazy tall, but I have 2 batteries just in case. That is mowing, weed eating and blowing in one charge. I got everything on crazy clearance so I'm all in maybe $300 and I never have to worry. My wife can go know if she wants and not have issues. It makes a ton of sense for suburban homes.
Buck Turgidson
New World Ag said:

halfastros81 said:

My EGO can do it one one charge as long as the grass isn't wet.

You understand we have millions of lawn workers pouring across the border every day?
Buck Turgidson
rocky the dog said:

That is awesome.
DallasAg 94
one MEEN Ag
AG
Heavy duty equipment like a riding mower should be one of the last things to be electrified. Its expected to have long duty cycles, be out in scorching heat all day, interact with water, take large shock and vibration loads, and take a beating against rocks and sticks that can puncture your battery pack.

All of those attributes require support assemblies that make it more complex, costlier, and less reliable.

No way does a zero turn mower have the place and price point for an adequate battery cooler. Sitting out in the sun like that heating up, and then expected to run full tilt is tough on a battery. And nothing for a liquid fuel powered engine.
GeorgiAg
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

GeorgiAg said:

DallasAg 94 said:

GeorgiAg said:

You spent $3K on an electric riding lawn mower for your house because you didn't want to put gas in a mower?
I have over 20 acres, mostly wooded, but still, I have a lot of grass to mow. Ortho surgeon I know had one and let me try it out. A gas Deere mower costs about the same.

I already have a larger BCS walk behind tractor/tiller/brush mower I have to mess with.
The $3K variety indicates up to 2acres per charge.

The $8K variety does up to 4 acres. That's 5 charges.

How long have you had it? All the reviews I've seen indicate about 2yrs and the charge diminishes. Also, serious negative feedback about ineffective mowing unless smooth mowing surface. Curious about your opinions.

When I was in HS, we had a riding lawnmower for 5 Acres... I mowed a couple acres per weekend... took me 8 hrs+
I got the 54 inch 48 V 115 Ah version. About $5k. I was worried about the batteries losing charge capability over time, but my doc buddy has had his for years with only a small drop off. I watched a youtube video where a guy changed them out. Doesn't look fun, but it's doable.

The mower is stupid fast and the mowing has been perfect. As long as you don't let the grass get too high, you can fly. I haven't noticed any problems mowing on uneven surfaces. I live in a very hilly area, so I don't mow those parts with the riding mower. I have the large walk behind tractor with a wide wheel base for that.

My manicured lawn is probably an acre or less. I have fields and paths that I probably only cut once a month. I've mowed for two hours and still had more than 50% battery. I hardly ever mow all the mow-able areas at once so it works for me. They make one now with a swappable lithium battery, so theoretically you could mow indefinitely.
doubledog
CDUB98 said:

I reduced my mower fuel usage and handling by going not green...as in, my entire yard is drought dead.
I was considering paving the entire lawn and painting it green, I know asphalt is a petro product.

Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.