Bank of England probably just gave Biden a reprieve

5,416 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Sea Speed
aTmAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BoE decided to bail out pension funds by throwing money at them. That marks a reversal of their "fight inflation at every cost" stance. That will likely inflate the pound and make people move to the dollar as a "safe haven". That's going to make it appear that our inflation fighting efforts are "working". And, as British prices increase, they will blame their new PM and claim it's the fault of conservatism rather than the BoE. And of course the US MSM will jump on that parade, and like always, they will be wrong.

It's just a matter of time that Powell will throw in the towel just like the BoE. He was unwilling to take a mild recession before, no way will be be willing to go full Volcker and take a huge recession up the ass now. Which is what is necessary.

Never forget, despite what morons claim, leftists are to blame for the mess we are in today and for what is coming.
BigRobSA
aTmAg said:

Never forget, despite what morons claim, leftists are to blame for the mess we are in today and for what is coming.

aTmAg posts!

Liberalism always fails. Every time. Even this time.
WestAustinAg
AG
Trump presided over some of the biggest handouts in the history of our country. They all suck.
BigRobSA
WestAustinAg said:

Trump presided over some of the biggest handouts in the history of our country. They all suck.
Since Trump is a fiscal liberal, you're proving the point.
DrEvazanPhD
WestAustinAg said:

What does that have to do with the OP
itsyourboypookie
Clintons everyone gets a house policy blew up for bush, there were no weapons of mass destruction or point to a 20 year war that a hand full of nukes would of done the job, Obama was too inexperienced to raise interest rates, and trump printed more money than ever existed.

Pedo Pete is just the shell of a human that gets to live with the mess and sink us into a deep depression, which will make Texags *****, or print more money which will make Texags *****.

The real answer is to fire 90% of the federal government, cancel the federal governments debt, and operate with a balanced budget. But that will never happen.

Sq 17
The dollar as reserve currency status has been bailing out Presidents of both parties going all the way back to Reagan. Of course by current standards Deficits under Reagan were small at the time they were jaw dropping and only sustainable because the dollar's unique status.
Win At Life
AG
Sq 17 said:

The dollar as reserve currency status has been bailing out Presidents of both parties going all the way back to Reagan. Of course by current standards Deficits under Reagan were small at the time they were jaw dropping and only sustainable because the dollar's unique status.

If our deficit is only Sustainable due to the dollars unique status, then how can Japan run a bigger deficit for decades with no status at all?
HarleySpoon
AG
itsyourboypookie said:

Clintons everyone gets a house policy blew up for bush, there were no weapons of mass destruction or point to a 20 year war that a hand full of nukes would of done the job, Obama was too inexperienced to raise interest rates, and trump printed more money than ever existed.

Pedo Pete is just the shell of a human that gets to live with the mess and sink us into a deep depression, which will make Texags *****, or print more money which will make Texags *****.

The real answer is to fire 90% of the federal government, cancel the federal governments debt, and operate with a balanced budget. But that will never happen.

I don't disagree. But I do wish to point out that devaluing currency (which is govt debt) is what governments have been doing for thousands of years and continue to do in banana republics. Easiest and most common way to do it is to inflate the debt until it is worthless. Then….issue "new currency" backed by assets.
policywonk98
AG
BigRobSA said:

WestAustinAg said:

BigRobSA said:

WestAustinAg said:

I dont disagree in part.

Some things to note.

Trumps first two years when he had a GOP in control of both houses. Fed spending as a share of GDP went down. I think it was a combination of economic growth without any growth in discretionary spending. Trump and secretaries did actually freeze and cut spending in departments to the greatest extent allowed without congressional approval. It is theoretically a reason why the bureaucrats in so many departments were so easily persuaded to be involved with so many different "get trump" initiatives within various departments. The same thing was happening in the departments prior to 9/11. I had several friends hired into the appointed offices across several departments. They would tell me all kinds of stories of the things their offices were finding within the career ranks to undercut Bush and his appointees mission to cut spending. Then 9/11 happened and it changed the dynamics of the Bush administration alot.

But anyway. The other factor is Medicare and Social Security. Unless you address those two things at this point there is no way for any President to "cut spending" even if the held all spending to zero growth that they had control over. With the aging boomer population a big chunk of the federal unfunded liabilities are coming due in the next 20 years. Starting in 2007 the Boomer retirement wave started and will last basically for 40 years. The "first year of retirement" for Boomers will last for 22 years. Meaning year one start for Boomers happens through 2029. This is 80 million people that are getting expensive benefits until they die and then survivors get some of those benefits and of course there is the fraud of families getting benefits even after death that should be ended. We are basically on the hook for expensive benefits to the Boomers until the 2050s

The only way any president can reduce the growth of fed spending at this point is through massive entitlement reform and massive cut in the size and scope of government. And depending upon how resolved we are as a country, what happens in this regard won't have a significant impact until 20 years down the road if we grandfather the cuts. Even if a president and congress are lockstep together to solve the problems and have the full support of Gen X and Millenials to cut any future benefits they are currently promised. They would also have to have the support of those generations and the Boomers to cut benefits of the Boomers while they are still alive drawing those benefits.

This house of cards was built 75 years ago. And while it's been expanded upon, the presidents and congress of the last 20 years can be blamed for kicking the can down the road. But one president attempted entitlement reform, 43, and he was crushed in the midterms as a result.

Much like abortion law and policy, the broader American society has almost no understanding of the federal debt bombs created decaded ago that need massive reform. The media and politicians from both parties have created criminal levels of ignorance over the last 50 years.

You can certainly blame some things on defense spending, but defense spending as a share of the GDP has gone down over the last 80 years since World War 2. Even with the 20 year "war on terror".

Our three biggest problems are Medicare, Social Security, and Debt. And nobody wants to talk about it much anymore. It's been almost 20 years since a presidential candidate has run on the issue. Over a decade since the GOP has even highlighted it in their platform.
HarleySpoon
AG
Just think how much the deficit is going to grow as the national debt is refinanced at the increased treasury rates. Portion of the federal budget going to interest payments could very easily quadruple…..and could even be much, much worse than that.
Stat Monitor Repairman
More evidence that the USD will collapse.

People will flock to it as a lifeboat … then they'll collapse the USD.

Shift to a global digital currency is imminent.
BigRobSA
I don't disagree, which is why we desperately need a conservative in office, one that's willing to sacrifice likability for national betterment. Until Biden, we've been electing charisma over principles. We need solutions enacted that will be hard, but needed.
DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94
aTmAg
AG
I think what you mean to say is "... it will deflate devalue the value of their currency."

Inflation devalues the value of the currency. Deflation strengthens the currency. (In comparison to goods)
YouBet
AG
Good post.

There is nothing really to be done at this point until it collapses. There will never be enough elected officials or bureaucrats that are going to take the reigns of this and make the hard decisions that have to be made because they don't want the blame. Everyone is simply hoping they will outlive the collapse.

I go back and forth getting pissed about the spending and then remembering it's pointless to get pissed because nothing can be done to fix it. Someone either collapses the system on purpose now and we live through years of chaos and pain or we just wait until it happens on its own.

There are two things left that actually still matter: (1) Not losing 2A and (2) Having alternatives to US CBDC. The latter is already on its way and we have most likely lost that battle already.
tysker
AG
There was not one question about the debt or deficits during the last Presidential debates between Biden and Trump.

Neither party wants to address the problem because they both are to blame
YouBet
AG
tysker said:

There was not one question about the debt or deficits during the last Presidential debates between Biden and Trump.

Neither party wants to address the problem because they both are to blame
Nor foreign policy!

I think back to an SNL skit with fake Elizabeth Warren where she talked about her budget plans and her plan was to spend whatever she wanted because the numbers were so big now they no longer mattered. They aren't even real to anyone anymore because the human mind can't even grasp the context of it.

That skit was reality!
Stat Monitor Repairman
All world leaders and all politicians are detached from reality.

The great reset will result in a billion people or more starving to death, freezing to death or dying from disease due to lack sanitation.

WW3 started in Fall 2019.

We past the point of no return.

10 years from now modern life will be unrecognizable.
PCC_80
AG
Quote:

we've been electing charisma over principles. We need solutions enacted that will be hard, but needed.
So very very true. We have been letting the stupids vote for a long time. And they almost always vote for who ever has the best hair or the whitest teeth. So many people do not care what the policies are or what kind of solutions are being proposed by the candidates. It is all about the "feelzzzz".

That is a terrible way to select our leaders and we have ended up with quite a few terrible leaders at all levels.
jeremy
AG
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

The great reset will result in a billion people or more starving to death, freezing to death or dying from disease due to lack sanitation.

I admit, I've been watching the world stage with a "we are doomed, soon" tilt for at least 3 years. Can you share in your opinion how this breaks down in the next few years and what life will look like for an average American not living in a major city?

I know it would all be speculation on your part, but I'm curious on your take. May be a thread detail, however.
AggieMD95
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

WestAustinAg said:

Which always shocks me why Liberals didn't like him.

It was purely the fact he took off the Blue jersey and put on the Red jersey.

The ONLY think I wanted/expected from Trump was SCOTUS. He and Hillary were exactly the same.

Trump is not a green weenie like Hillary and her party tho. Green weenyISM has brought us supply issues that have made a big contribution to our inflation problem. Maybe as much as the debt n spending probs caused by the fiscal libtards
Stat Monitor Repairman
jeremy said:

Stat Monitor Repairman said:

I admit, I've been watching the world stage with a "we are doomed, soon" tilt for at least 3 years. Can you share in your opinion how this breaks down in the next few years and what life will look like for an average American not living in a major city?

I know it would all be speculation on your part, but I'm curious on your take. May be a thread detail, however.

I think we see cascading failures over the next 5 months.

Oil prices gonna go way up.

Price of food gonna go way up.

There'll be a problem where people can't afford to get to work because of high gas prices.

We'll see some banks and other firms fail.

You'll see slowdowns in transportation and logistics, generally.

Resupply of food a fuel starts hits a noticeable lag.

The average person panics. People start hoarding. Buying more than they need this perpetuates the problem.

Economic output goes way down. People get laid off. People stop going to work because wages are nowhere close to true cost of living. People stop spending money.

All this this hits a feedback loop.

The economy stagnates.

Nothing is moving. Nothing can afford to move. We get to a state of economic gridlock.

The government comes in and interferes in the market. Causing the problem to get worse, and last longer.

By this point they'll be an actual shortage of resources due to problems in the Ag industry due to high cost of fertilizer and diesel fuel. People that do critical supply chain jobs won't be willing to work for what they get paid.

All this happens while a proxy war with Russia drones on. A proxy war that could escalate at any time.

They'll come out and tell us that the way out of this mess is a new currency. A digital USD.

People jump onboard with it and agree to anything they think will get their lives back to normal.

They'll eventually dump the USD and the global economy will shift over to a 'new' digital USD.

Same thing happened in Venezuela. There was the old Bolivar. And then there was the new 'Bolivar fuerte"

Same thing gonna happen here, but on a larger scale.

I think we see some sort of state backed global currency sooner rather than later.

But to answer your question, I think everyones quality of life goes down due to scarcity of resources. We enter an economic doldrum that is gonna be real hard to get out of.

We might be looking at a decade or more of a stagnant economy. That's what I'm expecting as best case scenario.
TRADUCTOR
I'm buying more canned food and ammo TOMORROW.
YouBet
AG
Really uplifting.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Time will tell and I look forward to being wrong.
2wealfth Man
AG
I am hesitant to bail out guys like Larry Fink who have peddled these risky derivatives to pension funds. Let him eat his own cooking.When they call for more collateral say F off.
ac04
the next round of QE is going to be insane. our economy is like a heroin addict that needs bigger and bigger hits to feel something, but the effects are still diminishing anyway. note that we only printed $900B for the 2008 crisis and we printed roughly $6T in 2020-2021.
Stat Monitor Repairman
That blows my mind.
aTmAg
AG
The question is how long can the Fed holding out pretending that they can be tough on inflation. While the BoE probably gave them some time, it might not be much.
Sea Speed
AG
I wonder what traffic in the gulf coast ports look like if this happens. So much of our traffic is petrochemical but of course we have breakbulk and containers and various other cargos. I would think traffic may dip some but not like 20-50% or something like that.
YouBet
AG
ac04 said:

the next round of QE is going to be insane. our economy is like a heroin addict that needs bigger and bigger hits to feel something, but the effects are still diminishing anyway. note that we only printed $900B for the 2008 crisis and we printed roughly $6T in 2020-2021.

Goldman Sachs: "Inflation was the biggest surprise of 2021."
Psycho Bunny
TRADUCTOR said:

I'm buying more canned food and ammo TOMORROW.
Save some for me
Stat Monitor Repairman
Quote:

The government comes in and interferes in the market. Causing the problem to get worse, and last longer.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.