Eat the bugs, the real reason it's being pushed

9,191 Views | 108 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by texsn95
Al Bula
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Indy tried to normalize this decades ago!!!

Malibu
I think some of you just have an initial reaction of "bugs, that's gross!" without really thinking much beyond the initial revulsion. Outside of the west, eating meat includes the intestines and all the other inside bits that look yucky and the rest of the world just eats it with a shrug. People and the rest of the world eat bugs too. I eat hotdogs and sausages and haven't ever asked for the list of ingredients, I just know that it's yummy.

There are really just two parts of this for me. The first part is whether or not I can substitute bugs for something else without compromising taste. It's really just a nutrient and if that nutrient can be prepared in a satisfying manner I'm open minded to trying it. The second is cost, from what I understand, part of the appeal of bugs is that you can produce substantially more food from substantially less raw inputs, thereby reducing the overall cost and strain on arable land.
TRADUCTOR
Initial reaction is that this is Third World nation illiterate peasant thing to do.
Malibu
TRADUCTOR said:

Initial reaction is that this is Third World nation illiterate peasant thing to do.

Lobster used to be some thing only for poor people and was considered cruel and usual punishment serving to prisoners in colonial times. I'm not gonna go Simba and rustle up some grub, but if my food contains cricket flower and I can't tell the difference, why should I care?
American Hardwood
AG
I'm not opposed to eating bugs. I'm opposed to having to eat bugs because someone else says I don't deserve to eat beef which is where all this is going.
Serious Lee
chitin is some nasty stuff. creatures with an exoskeleton have way too much glucose for the human body to process. like 100s of times the amount. then theres the issue of so many bugs that are pathogenic to us. it might actually be healthier to eat soylent green than bugs
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
I'll say it again… we are never going to be forced to eat bugs by the govt. good lord
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
David Happymountain said:

Indy tried to normalize this decades ago!!!

Still trying to figure out your previous username lol
eric76
AG
Malibu2 said:

I think some of you just have an initial reaction of "bugs, that's gross!" without really thinking much beyond the initial revulsion. Outside of the west, eating meat includes the intestines and all the other inside bits that look yucky and the rest of the world just eats it with a shrug. People and the rest of the world eat bugs too. I eat hotdogs and sausages and haven't ever asked for the list of ingredients, I just know that it's yummy.

There are really just two parts of this for me. The first part is whether or not I can substitute bugs for something else without compromising taste. It's really just a nutrient and if that nutrient can be prepared in a satisfying manner I'm open minded to trying it. The second is cost, from what I understand, part of the appeal of bugs is that you can produce substantially more food from substantially less raw inputs, thereby reducing the overall cost and strain on arable land.
I think the most I have ever had to handle was turkey fries. They tasted okay, but the texture bothered me.
eric76
AG
HoseMad said:

chitin is some nasty stuff. creatures with an exoskeleton have way too much glucose for the human body to process. like 100s of times the amount. then theres the issue of so many bugs that are pathogenic to us. it might actually be healthier to eat soylent green than bugs
So we shouldn't eat the shrimp shells?

I have seen some Chinese food shrimp dishes that had not only the tail, but the entire shell, up to the head, including the legs. They aren't bad at all.
eric76
AG
Ghost of Bizbee said:

I'll say it again… we are never going to be forced to eat bugs by the govt. good lord
I would agree. Kind of. If the government obliterates the economy, we might be forced into it by necessity. Also, in the aftermath of a nuclear war.
JR Ewing
AG
eric76 said:

Ghost of Bizbee said:

I would agree. Kind of. If the government obliterates the economy, we might be forced into it by necessity. Also, in the aftermath of a nuclear war.

Disagree completely...when the WEF is pushing this, we are headed that direction and every media outlet, funded researcher, etc. will be towing the company line. Look at the farmers in the Netherlands who are protesting for their livelihoods and being shut down and defunded by the banks. It's only a matter of time before you will be eating bugs while the elite dine on whatever they want...

https://thegrayzone.com/2022/08/19/farms-food-dutch-farmers-protests-elite/
Proc92
I've had at least three bug dishes in Mexico several times. Ant larva, grasshoppers, and maguey worms.

Not bad, but not a substitute for meat.
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
Saw one of these bad boys on the top shelf at an airport shop this morning:
https://www.ticketchocolate.com/product/grasshopper-pie-artisan-beloved-bar/

OP may be right
Old McDonald
the GLOBALISTS in the DEEP STATE want you to eat BUGS and live in a POD
n_touch
Old McDonald said:

Hope not, that would kill your livelihood
Old McDonald
n_touch said:

Old McDonald said:

Hope not, that would kill your livelihood
soros and gates just gave me a grant to pivot to cricket farming
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
When your pet store idea becomes a grocery store idea.

LMCane
SeMgCo87
AG
Slyfox07
AG
Ghost of Bizbee said:

The OP is a bit outlandish

Can't remember the last time I've been pressured to eat bugs

There is a lot of chatter about it in certain twitter circles. Basically celebrities talking about how great crickets are for your or adding mealworm flour to bread to add protein...

The conspiracy is that they're pushing bugs as a protein substitute for beef and chicken because of "muh climate change"
Albatross Necklace
Ghost of Bizbee said:

I'll say it again… we are never going to be forced to eat bugs get an experimental vaccine by the govt. good lord
-You circa 2019
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
Nice try
captkirk
AG
Tanya 93 said:

I have never seen a push for eating bugs anywhere.

And I read frugal moms and prepper groups.

See it mentioned on here though recently
WEF

titan
S

Definitely need to be disbanded.

And does anyone not on the Left care about `racist' or `bigotry' anymore when it is from a super rich globalist mouthing off?
Urban Ag
AG
I've lived my life by the basic notion that western man does not eat anything we take in to battle with us. That means no horses or dogs. I don't care what the French do, and I love visiting France.

I'll add bugs. Not eating bugs. You eat bugs to survive, not live. My dad is a man of few sayings but one of them was "at some point we'll just have to start shooting each other". I think eating bugs qualifies that sentiment.
titan
S

Haha. Agree with that sentiment. Your Dad's words are wise. It may eventually get to where that is by far the best route.
Redassag94
AG
TChaney said:

J. Walter Weatherman said:

BAP Enthusiast said:

BMX Bandit said:

Where is anyone seeing a push to eat bugs? Twitter?

Quote:

If worst comes to worst, claim you are Jewish?

"Those" guys again??!!? Always conniving to get us!

Not my point. I am saying you should claim that as a method of getting out of being forced to eat them by government restrictions. Don't tell me our government won't be trying this under the guise of "climate change".

I can't believe this is a sentence that needs to be typed, but no, the government will never force you to eat bugs. Absolutely insane.
There is no way the government would let male predators dressed like women to use women's locker rooms, bathrooms or be in women's prisons.

There is no way the government would kill the economy over something just slightly worse than the flu.

There is no way the government would fire you for not taking an untested vaccine.

There is no way the government would burn people alive.

There is no way the government would use experimental hallucinogenics on our own soldiers.

There is no way the government would kill the oil industry to force a climate change agenda.

There is no way the government would leave our borders wide open for a mass scale invasion

There is no way the government would use it's bloated bureaucracy to target political opponents.

There is no way the government would steal from you by making the dollars you have worked so hard for buy so much less than it should.

There is no way the government would make Epstein kill himself.

If progressives get their way with the green agenda and globalism, the world will be transformed to a degree you can't imagine in your worst nightmare.

There is no way the government would amend Title IX to include men.

I like this…. This is fun.
RedAssAg
Class of '94
Born & Raised in Texas, lovin Colorado!!
lead
This thread is still going skrong
FJB
AG
captkirk said:

Tanya 93 said:

I have never seen a push for eating bugs anywhere.

And I read frugal moms and prepper groups.

See it mentioned on here though recently
WEF

If other cultures want to trade beef, chicken, pork, and seafood for our bugs I'd be fine with that.

Not changing my culture for them or mothrr earth or sny other BS reason.
MasonB
AG
I homeschool my son with a curriculum from an online charter school. He is in the 3rd grade.

Todays reading assignment - of the millions of possible topics available - the news article selected was on "mealworm macaroni", how eating insects is healthy and good for the environment, and cows harm the planet.

As my son was reading the article out loud he paused to say "See, Dad. I told you school is stupid."

By the way this is in conservative Oklahoma and the school serves a population that leans much more conservative than the general state population. You may think your school district is immune to this nonsense, but I'd be surprised if it is.
TAMU1990
AG
MasonB said:

I homeschool my son with a curriculum from an online charter school. He is in the 3rd grade.

Todays reading assignment - of the millions of possible topics available - the news article selected was on "mealworm macaroni", how eating insects is healthy and good for the environment, and cows harm the planet.

As my son was reading the article out loud he paused to say "See, Dad. I told you school is stupid."

By the way this is in conservative Oklahoma and the school serves a population that leans much more conservative than the general state population. You may think your school district is immune to this nonsense, but I'd be surprised if it is.
Time to complain to the principal and school board.
Brutal Puffin
AG
First it's crickets and grasshoppers. Slippery slope to cockroaches.
russ05
AG
Ghost of Bizbee said:

This ain't front page stuff. It's foodie media. Of course there will be article clickbait

We aren't being forced to eat bugs

Same old story. Conservatives, republicans, anyone who isn't a crazy leftist commie has let the left get away with things for far too long. They're playing a perpetual game of ideological "just the tip," and we keep falling for it. 9 months later we're knocked up saying "I thought they just wanted to ban automatic weapons."
SeMgCo87
AG
Beaux12 said:

First it's crickets and grasshoppers. Slippery slope to cockroaches.
Love that creamy filling, yeah?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.