Putin Turning To North Korea To Shore Up Personnel Losses

5,409 Views | 68 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by DTP02
TxTarpon
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Bow!
The Fife
UTExan
TxTarpon said:

Quote:

" A desperate Vladimir Putin is considering turning to North Korean dictator Kim Jong Un for help in his invasion of Ukraine, and is willing to offer energy and grain in return for 100,000 soldiers, according to reports in Russia."
The Norte Koreans will prob eat better in The Ukraine, than in NK.

They will consider the Ukraine front a luxury posting.
“If you’re going to have crime it should at least be organized crime”
-Havelock Vetinari
Central Committee
AG
Five years ago I spent a day talking to a relative that was a combat vet from the Korean War. He made some interesting comments that took me by surprise.

Most of the Chinese soldiers they encountered had previously served under Chiang Kai-Shek, and some had even served with Americans fighting the Japanese in WWII. They had no desire to fight the Americans in Korea, with many surrendering immediately. A large number went into battle with no rifle, with instructions to find a weapon on the battlefield. These Chinese, once identified, were usually treated well by American and UN forces.

The North Koreans were largely fanatics, and many booby-trapped their persons to kill Americans after they surrendered. After taking on casualties from the Norks, the American soldiers adopted an unofficial policy that any Nork who did not raise his hands was shot at a safe distance.

The problem was identifying which was which, as the Chinese soldiers were often near indistinguishable from the Norks at a safe distance.

It was a really fascinating conversation. Needless to say, there were some topics he did not want to discuss. Some questions I asked he would dance around, and others he would firmly say 'ask me something else.' I knew better than tp press.
We may not always get what we want. We may not always get what we need. Just so we don't get what we deserve.
lb3
AG
EMY92 said:

I can't image Kim allowing any soldiers out of NK. Even crappy parts of Russia and battle damaged Ukraine will show how prosperous those areas are compared to NK. They'd also likely be exposed to some western media and see what's in the rest of the world.

That is not good for the long term survival of the ruling class in NK.
You think those soldiers are going to make it back?
AlaskanAg99
AG
They're not sending 1st class shock troops.

Probably whatever norks consider underseriables. Sick, weak, stupid cannon fodder.
TexasAggiesWin
S
pfo
AG
The North Koreans set to Ukraine will run away and never come back to North Korea. They won't fight one minute. The first convenience store they come to they will eat everything in it, give up and ask for asylum. Or they will just run and hide.

North Korea is the worst place in the world. Ukraine is paradise to North Koreans.
titan
S
Central Committee said:

Five years ago I spent a day talking to a relative that was a combat vet from the Korean War. He made some interesting comments that took me by surprise.

Most of the Chinese soldiers they encountered had previously served under Chiang Kai-Shek, and some had even served with Americans fighting the Japanese in WWII. They had no desire to fight the Americans in Korea, with many surrendering immediately. A large number went into battle with no rifle, with instructions to find a weapon on the battlefield. These Chinese, once identified, were usually treated well by American and UN forces.

The North Koreans were largely fanatics, and many booby-trapped their persons to kill Americans after they surrendered. After taking on casualties from the Norks, the American soldiers adopted an unofficial policy that any Nork who did not raise his hands was shot at a safe distance.

The problem was identifying which was which, as the Chinese soldiers were often near indistinguishable from the Norks at a safe distance.

It was a really fascinating conversation. Needless to say, there were some topics he did not want to discuss. Some questions I asked he would dance around, and others he would firmly say 'ask me something else.' I knew better than tp press.
Fascinating story. Any examples of a question avoided, just to give a flavor?

Your post is important for illustrating people should not sell short the NK fanaticism and cruelty. Its not commonly realized that long before the communist regime Korea was a crazy violent place even by 19th C Asia standards, and with assassinations of leadership now and then. Its important to not assume all the zeal and savagery is from just being Marxist cult about things.
Furious
AG
Korean vet I talked to said they could hear them smoking opium and getting riled up. Then at dawn they come running wave after wave. Only first 2 waves had guns. Subsequent waves had to pick one up. He said they just killed people for hours.
JB!98
AG
Furious said:

Korean vet I talked to said they could hear them smoking opium and getting riled up. Then at dawn they come running wave after wave. Only first 2 waves had guns. Subsequent waves had to pick one up. He said they just killed people for hours.
Same thing my great Uncle related to me about Chosin. I knew the man for 30 years and didn't even know he was a Marine. My Grandfather, who also served in Korea, told me to have a talk with him. The stories he related to me were incredible. This little 5' 8" man that always seemed out of place in our family (we were all well over 6'), was the biggest badass in it. I had always thought that the scars on his face, arms, and hands were burns of some kind, nope frostbite scars.

He mostly always wore jeans and long sleeve shirts even at the lake. I later learned this was to cover up scars and the tattoos he had to cover some of the scars. The line in the Bridges of Toko Ri resonates today with these warriors that have since past, "Where do we get such men."

Silver star (recommended for Navy Cross) and 2 purple hearts. I wish I would have transcribed or recorded our conversations.
Central Committee
AG
One that sticks out in my mind was when I asked about casualties - American and Korean. I knew better than to ask the obvious 'did any of your friends die' or something blatant like that. I tried to keep the question 'technical' in nature. But I guess that one still struck too close to the quick.

He would talk about the trip over, weapons and strategy, but would not venture into any discussion about people in his unit. Not being a combat vet I guess I cannot fathom the depth of emotion. He had a strong dislike for the M1 Carbine, and preferred the Garand for range. Not sure if it was specific to his unit or the area of the country he served, but he spoke about the lack of sufficient armor.

Interesting stuff, and I enjoyed the technical discussion. I wish I would have asked to record it. I know he discussed far more than I remember now.
We may not always get what we want. We may not always get what we need. Just so we don't get what we deserve.
titan
S

Understood. And it makes sense that he would ask that something that probably reminded of specifics too much not be asked and just stepped around. And it could have had to do with the circumstances they were KIA in as well.
LMCane
Central Committee said:

it's just a fact of history that the Chinese nearly wiped out the First Marine Division on the retreat to the Chosin Reservoir

so SOMEONE in the Red Chinese Army was fighting

https://www.britannica.com/event/Battle-of-the-Chosin-Reservoir#ref1097670
FCBlitz
This could be one of those…..didn't see coming outcomes that ends badly for all!
Aggie4Life02
AG
North Korean is broke and starving. They ain't doing $#!+.
Whirligigs
Well, we should see this too - that way we can witness how the NK perform in conventional warfare. Let the Slavs be the laboratory for all to see.
The Fife
Is NK even capable of sending troops over there? There have to be rail lines but I feel like that would take forever to get a sizeable number of them all the way across Russia.
GeorgiAg
AG
Ferg
Central Committee said:

One that sticks out in my mind was when I asked about casualties - American and Korean. I knew better than to ask the obvious 'did any of your friends die' or something blatant like that. I tried to keep the question 'technical' in nature. But I guess that one still struck too close to the quick.

He would talk about the trip over, weapons and strategy, but would not venture into any discussion about people in his unit. Not being a combat vet I guess I cannot fathom the depth of emotion. He had a strong dislike for the M1 Carbine, and preferred the Garand for range. Not sure if it was specific to his unit or the area of the country he served, but he spoke about the lack of sufficient armor.

Interesting stuff, and I enjoyed the technical discussion. I wish I would have asked to record it. I know he discussed far more than I remember now.
Another reason the Marines preferred the Garand, was in the 20 to 35 below zero temps at Chosin, a lot of the Carbines froze up, which The Garand was much more reliable. Excellent book on the battle below

halfastros81
AG
Putin has really exposed Russia's weakness. I thought for sure they'd mow thru the Ukraine in a few weeks.

Still has the ICBM's tho.
Ferg
LMCane said:

Central Committee said:

it's just a fact of history that the Chinese nearly wiped out the First Marine Division on the retreat to the Chosin Reservoir

so SOMEONE in the Red Chinese Army was fighting

https://www.britannica.com/event/Battle-of-the-Chosin-Reservoir#ref1097670
Some of the Marines had served in China in the late 40s (known as China Marines) and were able to identify Chinese from North Koreans.
halfastros81
AG
Russia will be funding them with evil oil and gas sales

Their avg lifestyles will improve almost overnight meaning they'll get 3 scoops of rice a day vs one. An added benefit will be a bunch of his armed forces will be killed so fewer mouths to feed going forward. It's a win-win in Kim's world.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
EMY92 said:

I can't image Kim allowing any soldiers out of NK. Even crappy parts of Russia and battle damaged Ukraine will show how prosperous those areas are compared to NK. They'd also likely be exposed to some western media and see what's in the rest of the world.

They'd probably get the same treatment as Stalin gave to repatriated Cossacks and Russian soldiers captured by the Nazis. Gulag.
halfastros81
AG
If I was a Nork soldier I'd go and I'd try to get to the US Mexico border asap. Mia in the Ukraine and you get an extra chance at a real life. Their brainwashing probably makes that unlikely altho there have to be some that know the real score.
UTExan
Central Committee said:

One Chosin veteran I talked to immediately brought up the M1, saying "it saved our a**". He said that one shot was good enough to bring down the enemy, which is why GIs and Marines loved it so much.
“If you’re going to have crime it should at least be organized crime”
-Havelock Vetinari
Buck Turgidson
My first reactions are:
1. A lot of the Norks will probably just desert at the first opportunity once they get to Ukraine
2. However, a lot of them will likely turn into war criminals and rape their way across the occupied part of Ukraine (as I imagine the Russians are already doing), polluting the gene pool as they go. Wherever a large military force goes, so goes their genes. Think of it as a mini Mongol invasion.
Slyfox07
AG
100,000 malnourished NK conscripts are not going to win this for Vlad...
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
pfo said:

The North Koreans set to Ukraine will run away and never come back to North Korea. They won't fight one minute. The first convenience store they come to they will eat everything in it, give up and ask for asylum. Or they will just run and hide.

North Korea is the worst place in the world. Ukraine is paradise to North Koreans.

The soldiers family would be murdered.
Jock 07
AG
This is quite the

zephyr88
AG
So, the lineup is nearly complete it's Russia, Belarus, North Korea and China vs. the rest of the free world.
Old Sarge
AG
If I was a Ukraine fighter, killing a Ruskie would be good. However, if the Russians utilize NK soldiers as loaners, offing several of them would even be more enticing. This ain't your fight Kor-tard, and you are here to kill us? We'll find special ways for you to spread your innards across our lands and fertilize it.
"Green" is the new RED.
No Spin Ag
zephyr88 said:

So, the lineup is nearly complete it's Russia, Belarus, North Korea and China vs. the rest of the free world.

The free world has nothing to worry about if Russia, with all of it's allies, can't even hold on to the small portion of Ukraine they've gotten a temporary hold on.

Sad.
There are in fact two things, science and opinion; the former begets knowledge, the later ignorance. Hippocrates
DTP02
AG
EMY92 said:

Maybe they aren't planning on any of them coming back.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.