Buttigeig has flight cancelled wants to semi-nationalize airlines

9,069 Views | 89 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by St Hedwig Aggie
aggiehawg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Order them to hire more staff.

Quote:

The federal government could take action against U.S. airlines on behalf of customers, Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg said Saturday.

Many Americans have endured delays, cancelations, and other travel complications during the coronavirus pandemic, and in recent months, after many pandemic-related travel restrictions were lifted.

Following Buttigieg's own flight being canceled, forcing him to drive from Washington to New York, he said his department has authority to enforce action against airlines that do not sufficiently maintain consumer-protection standards, potentially requiring them to hire more staff.
Quote:

"That is happening to a lot of people, and that is exactly why we are paying close attention here to what can be done and how to make sure that the airlines are delivering," Buttigieg said during an interview with The Associated Press Saturday.
Quote:

He also encouraged the executives to stress-test their travel capabilities to avoid another repeat of Memorial Day, which was riddled with flight disruptions. The executives agreed and said they would be taking steps to increase their service.

"Now we're going to see how those steps measure up," Buttigieg said Saturday.
Link

Clown world.
Paradise Ag
AG

This is like an arsonist complaining that the Fire Department took too long to respond.
TriAg2010
AG
It's a good thing he finds airports such a romantic place to spend time.
aggiehawg
AG
FTR: It is just over 220 miles from DC to NYC and there is always Amtrak $29 one way and under 3 hours.
YouBet
AG
He's a f'ing dumbass and considering he just met with all of the airline CEO's the day before his own cancellation he damn well knows they are doing everything in their power to hire staff already.

And then it's going to be especially ironic when we hit this recession and they are suddenly overstaffed.
Gator92
AG
Mayor Pee Wee...

aggiehawg
AG

There's always this form of transportation.
Rockdoc
AG
Maybe he's mad because they won't let him breastfeed.
PA24
AG
Rockdoc said:

Maybe he's mad because they won't let him breastfeed.
Yikes
XXXVII
He should have seen this an an opportunity to drive an electric vehicle instead of burning a bunch of jet fuel. You know, for "climate change."
DeSantis 2024

FJB, FJB, FJB, etc
GAC06
AG
1: It happened to him so it's important now

2: This assclown is a big proponent of green nonsense, why was he flying DC-NYC in the first place? Why did he drive there? Why didn't he take the train? The station is right next to the Capitol
cbaker20
Or maybe he could consider reasonable deregulation and let the market take care of it? Stop bailing out an industry that no longer cares about pleasing customers?

I am not super old, but I remember when the flight attendants were nice and helpful and the gate agents would actually do things to improve your day. I also remember feeling safe flying as an unaccompanied minor, which I would never allow my kids to do now. Flying is more like riding the dog these days. Only great experiences I've had flying as an adult have been on Asian airlines.
Maroon Dawn
AG
The real goal is to drive up prices so high that the peasants can no longer afford to fly anywhere and thus spike demand for LR and HSR boondoggle projects with massive kickbacks to Dem politicians all while they move closer to the ultimate goal:

Planes and cars for the elite and politically connected

Trains and buses for the unwashed masses
aggiehawg
AG
GAC06 said:

1: It happened to him so it's important now

2: This assclown is a big proponent of green nonsense, why was he flying DC-NYC in the first place? Why did he drive there? Why didn't he take the train? The station is right next to the Capitol
Exactly.

Biden Cabinet member suffering a minor inconvenience like millions of Americans, "But, but, but I'm the Secretary of Transportation! I can order airlines to fix that! "
AggDogg61
So if they do this, will the Big Guy get 10%?
HarryJ33tamu
Didn't the federal govt encourage airlines to terminate non-vaccinated employees? Liberals create the issue and then ***** and moan when it affects them. Liberals are dumb af.
GAC06
AG
Also most of the problems currently facing the airline industry are a direct result of the idiotic covid policies of his own party.

Wildly fluctuating demand, supply chain issues, high fuel costs, and inflation are bad for business it turns out. You can't just flip a switch and go back to 2019 schedules without growing pains.
fightingfarmer09
aggiehawg said:

FTR: It is just over 220 miles from DC to NYC and there is always Amtrak $29 one way and under 3 hours.

I can't count how many times I've heard how awesome Amtrak is and it should be the model for Texas. These fools won't even ride it.

The only likely reason Biden rides it is so he can perv out on stranger's kids on the way home.
YouBet
AG
HarryJ33tamu said:

Didn't the federal govt encourage airlines to terminate non-vaccinated employees? Liberals create the issue and then ***** and moan when it affects them. Liberals are dumb af.
Yes. And it was a mandate and not just encouraged. Excellent point.
YouBet
AG
fightingfarmer09 said:

aggiehawg said:

I can't count how many times I've heard how awesome Amtrak is and it should be the model for Texas. These fools won't even ride it.

The only likely reason Biden rides it is so he can perv out on stranger's kids on the way home.
We have Amtrak here. I rode it from Longview to College Station.

It only took 9 hours to get there.
Owlagdad
TriAg2010 said:

It's a good thing he finds airports such a romantic place to spend time.

Are the bathrooms there like city parks and bathhouses now?
LostInLA07
AG
I guess I thought a cabinet secretary would fly on a government plane. Glad to hear he has to dip his toe into the real world on occasion.
aggiehawg
AG
Clob94
It's 228 miles from DC to New York.

Drive, Mr. Trans guy.
Ag87H2O
AG
HarryJ33tamu said:

Yes, and they're calculated, anti-capitalists as well.

Just like O&G, they make policies and regulations that hurt an industry and then attack it when those same policies and regulations wreak havoc within the industry to the point that they start getting blowback. Then they blame the industry for the failures and problems and use it as an opportunity to get the federal government's claws in deeper.

It's pure insanity unless it's on purpose. Which it is.
Gator92
AG
fightingfarmer09 said:

aggiehawg said:

My Grandfather worked as a salesman for a wholesale grocer in East Texas. He would ride his horse to the train station and load the horse onto a livery car. Once at his destination, unload horse and ride to the local grocery stores and take orders.

I understand Amtrak had/has a train that takes snowbirds and their car south to FL for the winter and back north again in the spring. Very limited number of trains and only seasonal.

Why can't we have such a train you can load your vehicle on and regularly goes between Houston and Dallas?

swampstander
AG
aggiehawg said:

Order them to hire more staff.

Quote:

The federal government could take action against U.S. airlines on behalf of customers, Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg said Saturday.

Many Americans have endured delays, cancelations, and other travel complications during the coronavirus pandemic, and in recent months, after many pandemic-related travel restrictions were lifted.

Following Buttigieg's own flight being canceled, forcing him to drive from Washington to New York, he said his department has authority to enforce action against airlines that do not sufficiently maintain consumer-protection standards, potentially requiring them to hire more staff.
Quote:

"That is happening to a lot of people, and that is exactly why we are paying close attention here to what can be done and how to make sure that the airlines are delivering," Buttigieg said during an interview with The Associated Press Saturday.
Quote:

He also encouraged the executives to stress-test their travel capabilities to avoid another repeat of Memorial Day, which was riddled with flight disruptions. The executives agreed and said they would be taking steps to increase their service.

"Now we're going to see how those steps measure up," Buttigieg said Saturday.
Link

Clown world.
Wonder why he didn't explain why flight delays and cancellations are actually racist.
TexasAggie_97
AG
Pretty sure this dumbass has no authority over private companies and how many people they are required to hire. How about we start with the government fixing the long wait times with TSA by hiring more competent people and while they are at it do the same with the ATC.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG

Guess who Buttigieg is.
aggiehawg
AG
TexasAggie_97 said:

Pretty sure this dumbass has no authority over private companies and how many people they are required to hire. How about we start with the government fixing the long wait times with TSA by hiring more competent people and while they are at it do the same with the ATC.
The FAA is under the Transportation Department. But even the FAA has some limitations over the private airlines.
BigRobSA
"Something is wrong in this market." != "Let's get the govt involved."

Govt is only an impediment to success, not a facilitator.
YouBet
AG
TexasAggie_97 said:

The CDC has no authority of rent control but they did it anyway. The government is going to do what it's going to do.
Tom Doniphon
This is what happens when ******s are in control.
Burpelson
Do not feel sorry for airlines, they have been at the trough everytime govment shells out coin. The airline industry is one of the most poooooorly managed entities.
TexasAggie_97
AG
Burpelson said:

Do not feel sorry for airlines, they have been at the trough everytime govment shells out coin. The airline industry is one of the most poooooorly managed entities.
Do you know how I know you know nothing about the airline industry?
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.