Should an 18 year old be allowed to buy an AR-15?

6,765 Views | 143 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TexasRebel
Tanya 93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Pookers said:

Slicer97 said:

Tanya 93 said:

If they can die for this country, yes

I don't really know I am mature enough to own a gun

But no one will question me getting one at 51
Well some TA posters might because of my hatred of the designated hitter

False.

I think you should get a gun.

At the same time, I think you should refrain from sharing bad opinions on baseball.
And sweet tea.
I do not understand this sweet tea love

EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
JSKolache
AG
Legal Custodian said:

I will say that on average an 18year old is not as mature today as they were 30 years ago. What you're suggesting is pretty much moving the age of adulthood from 18 to 21, correct?
80 yrs ago 18 yr old Americans stormed the beaches of Normandy and killed Nazis by the dozens.

Today 18 yr old Americans get triggered by the wi-fi & murder small children by the dozens.

I know the Youngs on Texags like to tease the Olds & vice-versa, but for fkks sake already.
Buying_time
AG
fascinating that "adults" are so distracted by a SCARY looking platform.

Today's society "norms" that completely ignore personal responsibility and accountability are the problem. Too many individuals are playing the victim card and the current Dementia Joe Sh** Show are fanning the flames while gathering more under their spell.

It's NOT the platform, it's the decay of our society.
Pookers
AG
JSKolache said:

Legal Custodian said:

I will say that on average an 18year old is not as mature today as they were 30 years ago. What you're suggesting is pretty much moving the age of adulthood from 18 to 21, correct?
80 yrs ago 18 yr old Americans stormed the beaches of Normandy and killed Nazis by the dozens.

Today 18 yr old Americans get triggered by the wi-fi & murder small children by the dozens.

I know the Youngs on Texags like to tease the Olds & vice-versa, but for fkks sake already.

As a prime millennial I would argue society has been intentionally organized in a way to produce weak men.
No Spin Ag
As long at an 18 year old can die for their country, they should be afforded the same rights as a 70 year old when it comes to guns.

We've seen plenty of mass murders done by people twice that kids age.

Age isn't the issue for these killers, it's their mental well being. And that affects all ages.
There are in fact two things, science and opinion; the former begets knowledge, the later ignorance. Hippocrates
B-1 83
AG
Burdizzo said:

What is so special about an AR?
Nothing, really. It's just a dependable, inexpensive, durable semi auto rifle that can be easily worked on and modified for a variety of sporting or self defense situations. It's the old Ford pickup of the gun world.
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
zephyr88
AG
Yes

It's the Indian, not the arrow.
cmag
Move it all to 21. 18 year olds are idiots. If you want to join the military where you'll get structure, training, psych evals, etc, that's fine.
backintexas2013
AG
Don't need a ban.
Buzzy
WestTexasAg said:

I grew up around guns, and hunted as a kid. Mostly used shotguns. I now have a couple of semi-auto rifles and a couple of handguns as well. That being said, I wouldn't be opposed to seeing 21 being the required age to be able to purchase a semi-auto long gun. You can't buy a beer or cigarettes until you are 21.

This wouldn't solve everything, but it would keep the bullied 18 year old high schooler from making an impulse buy and then creating atrocities like we just saw in Uvalde.

Yes, I realize 18 year olds can fight for this country and carry a semi-auto weapon. However, that is after proper training in the military.

What are your thoughts? Would this be a reasonable change?
I'm really tired of the "I own guns, but...." posts I've seen recently. Everything after the conjunction is bull**** when you're simply trying to rationalize violating 2A.
Wild West Pimp Style
Infection_Ag11
AG
Personally I don't think you should be allowed to partake in any of the "adult" privileges (drink, smoke, drive, vote, buy a gun, etc.) until you are 21. 18 year old men in particular still have extremely immature frontal cortexes. Behaviors that have dramatic societal impact or are highly dangerous or personally harmful should wait until an individual can better assess all the factors and risks/benefits.

Honestly the fact that we allow kids to drive at 16 is insane, though I recognize it's virtually a necessity in practice.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Ellis Wyatt
Yes
El Chupacabra
OPs thoughts are new and original. And would save millions of lives.
Ag with kids
AG
Tanya 93 said:

If they can die for this country, yes

I don't really know I am mature enough to own a gun

But no one will question me getting one at 51
Well some TA posters might because of my hatred of the designated hitter
**** the DH. Biden was wrong. The DH is the most serious threat to America!!!

But, get an AR-15. Maybe an AR-15 pistol since it's shorter. Great for home defense, fun to shoot, and doesn't have a lot of recoil.
agsalaska
AG
Are we negotiating? I'll tell you what, you can have the change to 21 if we can de regulate suppressors. How about that? We good?

The problem is we can't negotiate with people who have the ultimate goal of repealing the 2nd amendment
Tumble Weed
WestTexasAg said:

I grew up around guns, and hunted as a kid. Mostly used shotguns. I now have a couple of semi-auto rifles and a couple of handguns as well. That being said, I wouldn't be opposed to seeing 21 being the required age to be able to purchase a semi-auto long gun. You can't buy a beer or cigarettes until you are 21.

This wouldn't solve everything, but it would keep the bullied 18 year old high schooler from making an impulse buy and then creating atrocities like we just saw in Uvalde.

Yes, I realize 18 year olds can fight for this country and carry a semi-auto weapon. However, that is after proper training in the military.

Same as you. Hunted all my life and enjoy shooting guns.

I think that it is reasonable, but there is no room for discussion about being in the middle. My opinions are unpopular on both sides.

Personally I think that high capacity magazines, (over six rounds), should be worth a closer look. Don't care if it is a handgun or a rifle.

"No honest man needs more than 10 rounds in any gun," Sturm Ruger & Company co-founder, the late William Ruger Sr., told Tom Brokaw in 1992.

It won't save everyone, but it might save a few.
Old Sarge
AG
I'm still contemplating the OP's question, however…..

Tobacco and Alcohol is 21 to purchase.

And the Democratic Party has pushed moving the voting age down to 16 yes of age very recently. WTF…

"Green" is the new RED.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Ragnar Danneskjoldd said:

not my business what other adults do. Other people's rights arent subject to my whims.

You realize "with proper military training" just makes a potential mass shooter far more lethal, right?

They also get screened. This kid would have been rejected.
deddog
AG
cmag said:

Move it all to 21. 18 year olds are idiots. If you want to join the military where you'll get structure, training, psych evals, etc, that's fine.
Men are idiots at 21 too. Their brains don't mature till about 25/26.
Also, liberals remain idiots all their life.

So i propose:

Men: 26 and above
Liberals: Never.Ever.
Forum Troll
AG
Personally I say no. 18 year olds are dumbasses.

I'd like to see the voting age raised as well but that'll never happen.
deddog
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

Ragnar Danneskjoldd said:

not my business what other adults do. Other people's rights arent subject to my whims.

You realize "with proper military training" just makes a potential mass shooter far more lethal, right?

They also get screened. This kid would have been rejected.
So he'll find a car or hijack a bus, and then use it to run over kids at the bus stop.
Islamists perfected that in Europe.

He wouldn't have gotten a gun. He would have likely still killed kids.
Or he would have gotten a gun of the street like most criminals do.

You know who wouldn't be able to get a gun? Mentally normal, well adjusted law abiding young adults.
IslanderAg04
WestTexasAg said:

So at 18 you can enroll in the military and die in a foreign war but cant buy a rifle. Makes sense.

How many people under 21 still drink and smoke? Laws are absolute right? Nobody in their right mind would break a law right?
geoag58
AG
Exempt those who have served in the military but otherwise make the age twenty five to buy semi automatic weapons
deddog
AG
geoag58 said:

Exempt those who have served in the military but otherwise make the age twenty five to buy semi automatic weapons
You still ain't gonna stop anything.
deddog
AG
hunter2012 said:

I've followed this line of reasoning.
    If the issue is because they're still teenagers and have the various mental illnesses that can develop during teenage years. The problem is screwed up teenagers likely become screwed up adults and this likely delays the inevitable. Maybe there are a few that grow out of it, but if they want to spread their destruction they will find a way to do it. Either way it points back to a screwed up person behind the trigger.It has and will forever be a culture issue. Culture is not about the group however, it has consequences for the individual within that group and it starts at the family unit. Unfortunately any new laws or regulations will only treat the symptom which means liberals will always chase the next item on the list despite their efforts being futile.Culture is the issue, but it's also the most difficult way to change. Raise your kids with 2 parents, love them, and prepare them for the world that will seek to crush them. This is where it starts.

Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
I dont remember a rigorous screening process when I joined the army. I remember a physical and them asking me questions that were so blatant you couldn't help but answer how they wanted you to.
fightingfarmer09
WestTexasAg said:

Evidence shows this kid was not bullied. Was in fact from a broken home and quite disturbed. It also was not an impulse buy. He planned this 4 years ago and the police knew. He worked a job to buy the supplies.
ABATTBQ11
AG
TxTarpon said:

Yeah, pray and spray only works for the movies and rap videos.

What you both fail to realize is that you are approaching this from a tactical standpoint of shooting at a single target. If you're shooting into a crowd, like the Las Vegas shooter, Pulse nightclub shooter, or Bataclan attackers, you don't really need to pray because all you need to do is spray. You're simply looking to fire as many rounds as possible in as short a time as possible because you can't miss. For that purpose, full auto is certainly practical.
deddog
AG
fightingfarmer09 said:

WestTexasAg said:

Evidence shows this kid was not bullied. Was in fact from a broken home and quite disturbed. It also was not an impulse buy. He planned this 4 years ago and the police knew. He worked a job to buy the supplies.

Most mass shootings are planned. Often meticulously.
Almost always by mentally disturbed folks.

But let's propose simplistic solutions like increasing the age to buy a gun, or eliminating "gun show loopholes"
And then be shocked when it happens again. The intent for most of these simplistic solutions is to trample gun rights on law abiding citizens. And the politicians use emotionally charged moments to do it.
Tumble Weed
ABATTBQ11 said:

TxTarpon said:

Yeah, pray and spray only works for the movies and rap videos.

What you both fail to realize is that you are approaching this from a tactical standpoint of shooting at a single target. If you're shooting into a crowd, like the Las Vegas shooter, Pulse nightclub shooter, or Bataclan attackers, you don't really need to pray because all you need to do is spray. You're simply looking to fire as many rounds as possible in as short a time as possible because you can't miss. For that purpose, full auto is certainly practical.

The Las Vegas shooting was what changed my mind about high capacity magazines.
deddog
AG
No Spin Ag said:

As long at an 18 year old can die for their country, they should be afforded the same rights as a 70 year old when it comes to guns.

We've seen plenty of mass murders done by people twice that kids age.

Age isn't the issue for these killers, it's their mental well being. And that affects all ages.
I can see the thought process

"I'm going to kill my grandma. Then i'm going to kill a bunch of kids at school
But..
Aw shucks, i'm not 21. Can't buy a gun. Guess I'll have to wait till i'm 21."
Burdizzo
AG
B-1 83 said:

Burdizzo said:

What is so special about an AR?
Nothing, really. It's just a dependable, inexpensive, durable semi auto rifle that can be easily worked on and modified for a variety of sporting or self defense situations. It's the old Ford pickup of the gun world.

When olf Ford pickups are outlawed, only outlaws will have old Ford pickups.

And people will probably switch to Toyotas
cmag
deddog said:

cmag said:

Men are idiots at 21 too. Their brains don't mature till about 25/26.
Also, liberals remain idiots all their life.

So i propose:

Men: 26 and above
Liberals: Never.Ever.

Sold.
RoadkillBBQ
Tumble Weed said:

WestTexasAg said:

Same as you. Hunted all my life and enjoy shooting guns.

I think that it is reasonable, but there is no room for discussion about being in the middle. My opinions are unpopular on both sides.

Personally I think that high capacity magazines, (over six rounds), should be worth a closer look. Don't care if it is a handgun or a rifle.

"No honest man needs more than 10 rounds in any gun," Sturm Ruger & Company co-founder, the late William Ruger Sr., told Tom Brokaw in 1992.

It won't save everyone, but it might save a few.

5 or 10 round magazines wouldn't have saved a single one of those kids. Quit pushing an agenda of feel good legislation that won't make any difference. That's a major problem society and politicians have. Let's address the real issues which are culture and mental health.
Keegan99
AG
nm

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.