Should an 18 year old be allowed to buy an AR-15?

6,772 Views | 143 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TexasRebel
WestTexasAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I grew up around guns, and hunted as a kid. Mostly used shotguns. I now have a couple of semi-auto rifles and a couple of handguns as well. That being said, I wouldn't be opposed to seeing 21 being the required age to be able to purchase a semi-auto long gun. You can't buy a beer or cigarettes until you are 21.

This wouldn't solve everything, but it would keep the bullied 18 year old high schooler from making an impulse buy and then creating atrocities like we just saw in Uvalde.

Yes, I realize 18 year olds can fight for this country and carry a semi-auto weapon. However, that is after proper training in the military.

What are your thoughts? Would this be a reasonable change?
ChemEAg08
AG
Yes
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
not my business what other adults do. Other people's rights arent subject to my whims.

You realize "with proper military training" just makes a potential mass shooter far more lethal, right?
samurai_science
WestTexasAg said:

I grew up around guns, and hunted as a kid. Mostly used shotguns. I now have a couple of semi-auto rifles and a couple of handguns as well. That being said, I wouldn't be opposed to seeing 21 being the required age to be able to purchase a semi-auto long gun. You can't buy a beer or cigarettes until you are 21.

This wouldn't solve everything, but it would keep the bullied 18 year old high schooler from making an impulse buy and then creating atrocities like we just saw in Uvalde.

Yes, I realize 18 year olds can fight for this country and carry a semi-auto weapon. However, that is after proper training in the military.

18 year old can also vote. I will allow raising the age to buy an AR to 21 if we also raise the voting ages to 21.
sleepybeagle
AG
Yes
Pookers
AG
Eventually someone would just use a lever action in one of these events and then we will hear about the need to ban all lever actions. Ultimately we will end up with nothing if we continue to make concessions.
BigRobSA
ChemEAg08 said:

Yes

This

"Shall not be infringed." Pretty clear
"The Declaration of Independence and the US Constitution was never designed to restrain the people. It was designed to restrain the government."
samurai_science
Ragnar Danneskjoldd said:

not my business what other adults do. Other people's rights arent subject to my whims.

You realize "with proper military training" just makes a potential mass shooter far more lethal, right?
This
Tanya 93
If they can die for this country, yes

I don't really know I am mature enough to own a gun

But no one will question me getting one at 51
Well some TA posters might because of my hatred of the designated hitter
astros4545
AG
My thoughts are that he wasn't bullied by a bunch of elementary kids, and wasn't bullied at all
WestTexasAg
AG
baron_von_awesome said:

WestTexasAg said:

18 year old can also vote. I will allow raising the age to buy an AR to 21 if we also raise the voting ages to 21.
You know, that's not a terrible idea.
dunlay
AG
Discriminating against 18-20 yr olds is bad bull.
So, NO, I am apposed to this, and so is my 19yr old hog hunter that uses this platform.

Also, there is NOTHING in the constitution about a right to alcohol and cigarettes, just sayin'.
"Democracy: 2 wolves and 1 sheep deciding one what to have for supper. Liberty: 2 wolves set on supper, and finding 1 well armed sheep."
Legal Custodian
AG
I will say that on average an 18year old is not as mature today as they were 30 years ago. What you're suggesting is pretty much moving the age of adulthood from 18 to 21, correct?
mernaggie12
AG
Knowing what we know about frontal lobe development, the answer is yes.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
The Lost
its silly to move it to 21, unless all "adult things" like voting, going to war, were also 21, you can strongly argue booze should be 18 (or everything 21).
TheEternalPessimist
WestTexasAg said:

If you can vote and be drafted to kill a bunch of 'enemies' in the name of our county, then you should have the right to:

1) Buy a beer
2) Buy tobacco
3) Buy any legal gun

That's it.

Someone is either an adult or they are not. We have set that age as being 18. So ALL rights should be bestowed on you the day you turn 18. If you don't like that age, then move the age of adulthood up to 21, which means the right to vote moves up to 21 too, as well as minimum age to be drafted.
--

"The Kingdom is for HE that can TAKE IT!" - Alexander
dunlay
AG
Ragnar Danneskjoldd said:

Right. See also, Sutherland Springs.
"Democracy: 2 wolves and 1 sheep deciding one what to have for supper. Liberty: 2 wolves set on supper, and finding 1 well armed sheep."
WestTexasAg
AG
Legal Custodian said:

I will say that on average an 18year old is not as mature today as they were 30 years ago. What you're suggesting is pretty much moving the age of adulthood from 18 to 21, correct?
Agreed.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
Quote:

You can't buy a beer or cigarettes until you are 21.
the legislature should address this travesty.
Kenneth_2003
AG
What is this? The 3rd "Why do you need an AR15? Who should be able to buy an AR15?" this afternoon???

deddog
AG
I don't understand the relevance/fixation of Age or Training. This is the new "gun show loophole"

It's a red herring to distract from the mental issues that so many teenagers deal with and to focus instead on reducing gun rights.

Are we suggesting that the shooter was not trained enough? If he was trained, then he wouldn't have shot up kids?
Are we suggesting that if he was 25 he wouldn't have shot the kids?

The shooter was mentally disturbed. You have to be to kill kids.
Age and training is irrelevant.

Demosthenes81
AG
As long as we are using outliers to make arguments, you mean to say that a 20 year old married man with a wife and two kids, living in a high crime area should have fewer options to defend his household?
Seven and three are ten, not only now, but forever. There has never been a time when seven and three were not ten, nor will there ever be a time when they are not ten. Therefore, I have said that the truth of number is incorruptible and common to all who think. — St. Augustine
TxTarpon

Quote:

Up until 1971 21 was the voting age.

Nanny state gonna nanny, but I should be able to buy full auto as a non felon without a pesky govt form with fee.
Shall not be infringed, right?
Pookers
AG
TxTarpon said:

Quote:

Up until 1971 21 was the voting age.

Nanny state gonna nanny, but I should be able to buy full auto as a non felon without a pesky govt form.
Shall not be infringed, right?
NFA needs to be repealed. Full auto isn't even all that practical for much outside of suppressing fire or wasting lots of money in a few seconds.
deddog
AG
Demosthenes81 said:

As long as we are using outliers to make arguments, you mean to say that a 20 year old married man with a wife and two kids, living in a high crime area should have fewer options to defend his household?
Yes, because until you turn 21, you might shoot up kids in a school.
That doesn't happen once you turn 21.

Its Science.
Camo
I do find it quite ass backwards an 18 year can legally purchase a lethal weapon, die for our country, but can't walk into a 7-eleven and buy a beer.

TxTarpon
Yeah, mofo perp was a loser who owned his ARs less than a week and racked up a chinga body count.
Too bad we did not know he wanted to die in a shootout pre murders, we could have packaged him up with his beloved ARs and shipped him to Ukraine to be a murderous psychopath upon anything and anyone with a "Z".
Slicer97
AG
Tanya 93 said:

False.

I think you should get a gun.

At the same time, I think you should refrain from sharing bad opinions on baseball.
Pookers
AG
Slicer97 said:

Tanya 93 said:

False.

I think you should get a gun.

At the same time, I think you should refrain from sharing bad opinions on baseball.
And sweet tea.
Aggie Infantry
AG
My son enlisted at 17 years old and went to Ft. Benning and Infantry boot camp
When the truth comes out, do not ask me how I knew.
Ask yourself why you did not.
Burdizzo
AG
What is so special about an AR?
TxTarpon
Yeah, pray and spray only works for the movies and rap videos.
hunter2012
AG
I've followed this line of reasoning.
If the issue is because they're still teenagers and have the various mental illnesses that can develop during teenage years. The problem is screwed up teenagers likely become screwed up adults and this likely delays the inevitable. Maybe there are a few that grow out of it, but if they want to spread their destruction they will find a way to do it. Either way it points back to a screwed up person behind the trigger.

It has and will forever be a culture issue. Culture is not about the group however, it has consequences for the individual within that group and it starts at the family unit. Unfortunately any new laws or regulations will only treat the symptom which means liberals will always chase the next item on the list despite their efforts being futile.Culture is the issue, but it's also the most difficult way to change. Raise your kids with 2 parents, love them, and prepare them for the world that will seek to crush them. This is where it starts.
Slicer97
AG
Camo said:

I do find it quite ass backwards an 18 year can legally purchase a lethal weapon, die for our country, but can't walk into a 7-eleven and buy a beer.

I agree. If one is considered an adult at 18, then let them be an adult.
bam02
AG
Yes

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.