US Army Awards Contract For the M-4 and M-249 Replacements to Sig Sauer

5,069 Views | 56 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by agwrestler
Rapier108
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Quote:

WASHINGTON The U.S. Army announced the award of a 10-year firm-fixed-price follow-on production contract to Sig Sauer, Inc for the manufacture and delivery of two Next Generation Squad Weapon variations (the XM5 Rifle and the XM250 Automatic Rifle) and the 6.8 Common Cartridge Family of Ammunition.

This award was made following a rigorous 27-month prototyping and evaluation effort that included numerous technical tests and Soldier touch points of three competing prototype systems.

The value of the initial delivery order on the contract is $20.4 million for weapons and ammunition that will undergo testing. The contract includes accessories, spares and contractor support. It also provides the other Department of Defense services and, potentially, Foreign Military Sales countries the opportunity to purchase the NGSW weapons.

The XM5 Rifle will replace the M4/M4A1 carbine within the close combat force, and the XM250 Automatic Rifle is the planned replacement for the M249 Squad Automatic Weapon
https://www.army.mil/article/255827/army_awards_next_generation_squad_weapon_contract

Finally going to be upgrading from the .223/5.56 to something with a little more punch. Guess at least one lesson was learned and adopted from the 20 years in the desert.

"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
swampstander
AG
Made in New Hampshire?
flakrat
AG
Going from the 5.56 to a 6.8?
Sully Dog
There was a thread on here a couple days ago about the army building out ammo production capacity. I'm pretty sure this is why. They need to produce something on the order of a billion rounds of ammo for this just to get into circulation.

Additionally, the civilan version is label the 277 Fury
Deplorable Neanderthal Clinger
aggiez03
AG
Can I have one?

Sully Dog

This will be the M5 and replace the M4.
UTExan
Almost like the Army rediscovers full power cartridges. Great, but they will keep Eugene Stoner's AR design around for years to come: it's light weight, compactness and cost make it too handy to relinquish.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
Clob94
6.8 isn't bad. 6.5 kicks ass.

Somebody got paid.
Rapier108
flakrat said:

Yes, but not the 6.8SPC that is already on the market.

This one will be 6.8x51mm.

https://www.tactical-life.com/gear/ammo/277-sig-fury-hybrid-case-design/
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
flakrat
AG
Is the 6.8mm going to be the new NATO standard? Hopefully, otherwise, WTF!
Trigger06
AG
flakrat said:

I think you posted the wrong 6.8 - the one you pictured looks like the 6.8 spc ii (6.8x43 i think). The new cartridge is a 6.8x51.

Rapier108
UTExan said:

...but they will keep Eugene Stoner's AR design around for years to come: it's light weight, compactness and cost make it too handy to relinquish.
Probably why the SCAR didn't get selected again.

But I still love mine.
GAC06
AG
Reciprocating barrel on the squad weapon is interesting. Also interesting that they went with the steel/brass case instead of the plastic of the competition
Sully Dog
Trigger06 said:

flakrat said:

I think you posted the wrong 6.8 - the one you pictured looks like the 6.8 spc ii (6.8x43 i think). The new cartridge is a 6.8x51.

Additionally, it is a hybrid two material cartridge.
flakrat
AG
Can't get the forum code working in mobile, but this is cool
---
The round's 80,000 psi pressure can push a 135-grain bullet to velocities of 3,000 feet per second. Hunters and long-range aficionados using magnum ammo won't find that velocity number inconceivable, but it's a lot more impressive when you consider that it's coming from a 16-inch barrel and the cartridges fit into a standard AR-10 magazine. Plus, the ammunition weighs less than .308 Winchester rounds, allowing soldiers to carry more of it than they could if they were using a traditional magnum rifle.

On top of that, there's the new XM157 self-adjusting optic the Army chose to go with the XM5 rifles. The Vortex product can send and receive data both with a soldier's augmented reality (IVAS) system and with other soldiers's gear and even military aircraft. But, why is the military going for such a big upgrade now?
---
flakrat
AG
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/https-defensereview-com-spikes-tactical-5-45mm-russian-ar-carbine-the-greatest-training-gun-everif-you-have-to-buy-your-own-ammunition-that-is/
AggieKatie2
AG
Darn. I really liked the general dynamics offering
flakrat
AG
Over 1 million rounds already delivered by SIG
https://soldiersystems.net/2021/01/27/sig-ammunition-produced-rounds-of-6-8x51mm/

Here's the new SIG 6.8 x 51 hybrid round next to the current 5.56, 23% weight reduction

flakrat
AG
Manufactured in Arkansas.
10thYrSr
flakrat said:

Over 1 million tons already delivered by SIG
https://soldiersystems.net/2021/01/27/sig-ammunition-produced-rounds-of-6-8x51mm/

Here's the new SIG 6.8 x 51 hybrid round next to the current 5.56, 23% weight reduction

How is this better than the mosin nagant 7.62x54 round? I don't think it is.
Rapier108
10thYrSr said:

flakrat said:

That's what the 7.62x51 is for. We will still have plenty of weapons which use that and .50BMG.

The Russians use 5.45x39 in their standard military rifles. It was their answer to the 5.56 of the M-16.
nortex97
AG
The amazing thing to me is that sig was…the only actual gun maker in the competition. Now, I am glad their bid won, frankly, but the other thing to consider beyond the round (first new round for the US Army in 65 years)/weapon, as someone pointed out in the military forum, is that the optic is a big deal too. The Vortex XM157 is a nifty piece of kit, though it as well looks pretty heavy.

I don't claim to really understand 'active reticle' but it does look pretty cool, anyway.

Quote:

The XM157 is a Low Powered Variable Optic (LPVO) with a display overlay, Laser Rangefinder (LRF), ballistic solver, environmental sensors, aiming lasers, digital compass, and wireless communication to provide for seamless connectivity on the battlefield. The XM157 is based on a 1-8x30mm LPVO with glass-etched reticle on USA-made lenses. The XM157 weighs less than the combined weight of traditional LPVOs plus weapon-mounted Laser Rangefinders.

Anyway, I hope it all works for the soldiers using them. I know everyone has an opinion on the 5.56, but I do think for military purposes the time is certainly well past due to go with something else. The good news, politically speaking to me, is that this whole competition highlights that the AR-15/5.56 round is…not good enough, so surely it is no longer going to be attacked as a 'weapon of war' by ignoramus communists, right?
MouthBQ98
AG
5.56 worked fine before practically every decent army could afford body armor and widespread use of optics opened up the engagement range.

I can see why they want to go back to something bigger with more punch at a distance.
Tom Kazansky 2012
AG
10thYrSr said:

flakrat said:

US military doesn't shoot to kill, we shoot to maim and make bleed out.

Theory is that if we hit a guy it take three enemies out of commission to get the enemy wounded out of harms way. Plus the screaming maimed soldier hurts morale and focus of the enemy.

This was back when the US Army was actually interested in winning battles and not providing sex changes. Got NATO to go along with it as well.
Coog97
The optic / weather station / karaoke machine is the size of a Smart Car.

Still want.
Burdizzo
AG
UTExan said:

Almost like the Army rediscovers full power cartridges. Great, but they will keep Eugene Stoner's AR design around for years to come: it's light weight, compactness and cost make it too handy to relinquish.

Years ago I was told that the reason for the smaller bullet was that when you kill an enemy soldier he is dead. When you maim an enemy soldier it takes resources tend to him afterward. I don't know if that was true, but someone told me that.
WestTexAg12
AG
Can't wait for the Marine Corps to have all the Army leftovers in 3 years!
Tom Kazansky 2012
AG
Burdizzo said:

UTExan said:

Years ago I was told that the reason for the smaller bullet was that when you kill an enemy soldier he is dead. When you maim an enemy soldier it takes resources tend to him afterward. I don't know if that was true, but someone told me that.

It's 100% true and they still explicitly mentioned that in basic training in 2009.
nortex97
AG
I have heard that several times over the years as well, though I don't remember it from basic training in 1992. The thing is, I am not sure if it is really a myth or not.

In fact, the Remington 223...5.56 etc. history don't seem to have had that as an objective, and it never made sense to me as...certainly within a few hundred yards, if hitting center mass it is plenty lethal.

Ranges for infantry combat in Vietnam were, ultimately I guess, well within 300 yards, but I guess after Afghanistan etc., with modern body armor/optics/opponents (like the Chinese) in mind, more lethality out further is important today.

I was never instructed to shoot to injure, and am unaware of any actual manuals/doctrine as such, either. If there are 10 bad guys shooting at x-number of good guys, do we really want troops engaging with an idea to 'let's just injure a couple so they have to haul them away?' It just doesn't make sense, imho.

Without doubt, the 6.8 decision (which the army made in advance of the contractors making/putting up their designs competitively), has greater lethality at range as a criteria/key factor.
lb3
AG
That optic is $10,800 in quantities of a quarter million. There won't be any affordable consumer variants available for a long time.
nortex97
AG
The rifle is available though. Only $8K plus tax stamp.

The L3/Leupold bid...looked a lot smaller/simpler, to me.

As usual, the Army did not seek my input.
Burdizzo
AG
I can believe they don't instruct to shoot to maim. That is as dumb as Biden's "shootn'em in the knee" remark. In the fog of combat, you rarely have the time to think about that anyway. That said, I am guessing there is some statistical evidence someone used to rationalize the caliber policy.
SMM48
AG
So badass.

SMM48
AG
It's the round. Not the aim.

Not looking for minute of angle.

Looking for minute of man.
Sully Dog
10thYrSr said:

flakrat said:

It has to do with hybrid cartridge. The highly increased chamber pressures give it over 3,000fps muzzle velocity on a 16" barrel. Throw in that it has lower drag and the new round has almost half the drop of the 7.62 at 1,000 yards.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.