Dramatic cuts expected at CNN+

7,930 Views | 92 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Counterpoint
infinity ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Quote:

Using these firms is like when my wife comes home excited about some epiphany or learned something amazing and after telling me about it my response is, "Yep, been telling you that exact thing for months."

Must be a woman thing.
My wife discusses a problem/issue and I give her a suggestion or solution. Then a few days later she discusses the issue with some friend or someone from work and they give her a suggestion and she is all excited about this awesome ideas. Then I remind her that I told her the very same thing 3 days earlier.

Must be a woman thing. Outsider's words more valuable than husband's.
infinity ag
YouBet said:

bonfarr said:

I have seen similar from Anderson Counsulting, I don't think our company adopted any of the things they recommended other than utilizing the labor model they crafted.

I've worked with all of the majors either directly or indirectly. Most of the time these guys are brought in to do the following:
- used as an "objective third party" when you have internal politics or conflict keeping you from a decision.
- market research you can't or won't do yourself.
- executive is scared to make a decision or simply doesn't know what to do next and wants cover.

The usual output from this is a deck that summarizes or distills information you already know into a pretty format.

Using these firms is like when my wife comes home excited about some epiphany or learned something amazing and after telling me about it my response is, "Yep, been telling you that exact thing for months."

Sometimes they just need to hear that same thing from someone else's mouth to accept it.

You are very correct. Back in the days after I completed my MBA, I wanted to get into management consulting. I had some good experience in my field but I was under no illusion that I could give advice to a Jobs or a Gates, both of who didn't even have degrees. I also wondered why a CEO with experience would bring in an external companies to help him run the business.

CEO already has a plan of action and has to convince the board, so it is much easier to hire McK and tell them to arrange arguments to align with his plan so he can say "hey even McK likes my plan". Much easier to push through.

Boring grunt work companies don't want to do.
Maybe access to some external data.

Basically the same as what you say above.
Burdizzo
AG
Malibu2 said:

AgNav93 said:

Who green lit this to begin with? Hey our cable channel gets less viewers than pod cast. I've got it let's charge them a subscription fee. Genius. They should name a business schools after that guy.

More fiction has been written in Microsoft Excel than Word.

Some days I don't agree with many of your posts, but this is pretty sage
captkirk
AG
YouBet said:

bonfarr said:

I have seen similar from Anderson Counsulting, I don't think our company adopted any of the things they recommended other than utilizing the labor model they crafted.

I've worked with all of the majors either directly or indirectly. Most of the time these guys are brought in to do the following:
- used as an "objective third party" when you have internal politics or conflict keeping you from a decision.
- market research you can't or won't do yourself.
- executive is scared to make a decision or simply doesn't know what to do next and wants cover.

The usual output from this is a deck that summarizes or distills information you already know into a pretty format.

Sometimes they just need to hear that same thing from someone else's mouth to accept it.
Spot on
bonfarr
AG
infinity ag said:

Quote:

Must be a woman thing.
My wife discusses a problem/issue and I give her a suggestion or solution. Then a few days later she discusses the issue with some friend or someone from work and they give her a suggestion and she is all excited about this awesome ideas. Then I remind her that I told her the very same thing 3 days earlier.

My wife wants to talk everyday about her problems and issues at work and I rattle off solutions on how I would handle them. She seldom takes my advice and when I get frustrated about hearing the same issues over and over with no action from her she tells me she doesn't need solutions she needs me to listen and be empathetic.

Men and women are wired so differently.

aTm2004
AG
bonfarr said:

infinity ag said:

Quote:

Must be a woman thing.

My wife wants to talk everyday about her problems and issues at work and I rattle off solutions on how I would handle them. She seldom takes my advice and when I get frustrated about hearing the same issues over and over with no action from her she tells me she doesn't need solutions she needs me to listen and be empathetic.

Are we married to the same woman? My wife and I have had arguments over this exact same thing.

She comes home and rants about work, so I give her advice on how I would handle it or how something similar was handled in the past at my company, but she never listens. In fact, she gets angry with me when I do it and tells me how none of it applies to teachers. I try to explain to her that the people part doesn't differ, but she doesn't listen. I finally asked her "WTF do you want from me when you complain about work?" Her reponses was "I sometimes just want someone to say 'that just sucks.'" Cool. The next time she ranted, I told her it sucked, and she got angry at me for not caring. I'm in a no win situation here.
Squadron7
AG
aTm2004 said:

bonfarr said:

infinity ag said:

Quote:

Must be a woman thing.

Are we married to the same woman? My wife and I have had arguments over this exact same thing.

She comes home and rants about work, so I give her advice on how I would handle it or how something similar was handled in the past at my company, but she never listens. In fact, she gets angry with me when I do it and tells me how none of it applies to teachers. I try to explain to her that the people part doesn't differ, but she doesn't listen. I finally asked her "WTF do you want from me when you complain about work?" Her reponses was "I sometimes just want someone to say 'that just sucks.'" Cool. The next time she ranted, I told her it sucked, and she got angry at me for not caring. I'm in a no win situation here.

Gee, that sucks.
BQ78
AG
Your wife is being completely honest with you, that's good for you. Yes, men and women (in the traditional sense) are wired very differently. Men want to fix things and women just want some understanding and a sounding board. The two mindsets don't mesh when a woman has a problem at work or with a friend.
Burdizzo
AG
aTm2004 said:

bonfarr said:

infinity ag said:

Quote:

Must be a woman thing.

aggiedata
AG
One more to wrap this up

infinity ag
aTm2004 said:

bonfarr said:

infinity ag said:

Quote:

Must be a woman thing.

Bro, we are all married to the same woman. For that matter, every man here is married to the same crazy ass BSC chick.
justcallmeharry
S
Chris Wallace courageously taking on the tough stories...

captkirk
AG
justcallmeharry said:

Chris Wallace courageously taking on the tough stories...

I can't believe with this sort of content, they can't break 10,000 subscribers
Romello
Malibu2 said:

They have shareholders. Regardless of what your thoughts are on liberal propaganda it is a product and there is profit to be made in the marketplace with this product to return value to the shareholders. There are smart people who work there that can read data and crunch numbers and come to sensible conclusions about potential profitability. My guess is the Vladimir Putin effect where nobody wants to tell the top boss that their pet project sucks in and is doomed to fail.

They get huge donations from people like Bill Gates to stay solvent. They are not a profitable enterprise.
. . .
will25u
CNN+ days are numbered.

Squadron7
AG
. . . said:

This may mean the potato famine that we've all been hoping for.
Burdizzo
AG
Did you say potato.?
Stupe
S
Where does Chris Wallace think he's going to walk to if he doesn't get a show on CNN?

If he tries to go back to Fox that's called grovelling, not walking.
YouBet
AG
Stupe said:

Where does Chris Wallace think he's going to walk to if he doesn't get a show on CNN?

If he tries to go back to Fox that's called grovelling, not walking.
I could see him going to PBS Newshour.
torrid
AG
CNN--

For all you programming geeks.
Daddy
AG
Malibu2 said:

You are correct. McKinsey got paid.

https://www.axios.com/cnn-plus-cuts-warner-brothers-discovery-1be0ac3a-6952-4af0-b8e2-03dd6ae0839c.html?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=editorial&utm_content=economy-business-cnnplus

Details: CNN executives, with help from consulting firm McKinsey, originally expected to bring in around 2 million subscribers in the U.S. in the service's first year and 15-18 million after four years.

They originally planned for the service to break even after four years.

Mckinney It hasn't been what it used to be for a long time

A lot of elite liberal college educated people to think they're smart maybe on paper but not in wisdom

Of course they speculated and knew that trump should have been re elected and that will help their ratings.

It will pick backup once hes put back in office for the impostor
Counterpoint
AG
torrid said:

CNN--

For all you programming geeks.

Is this a C++ joke? If so, here's your blue star.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.