Dramatic cuts expected at CNN+

7,920 Views | 92 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Counterpoint
aggiedata
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This needed its own thread. Great move Chris.

justcallmeharry
S
This has to be Trump's fault.
FriscoKid
AG
Tex117
AG
justcallmeharry said:

It probably is.

Trump was awesome for ratings.
shiftyandquick
justcallmeharry said:

Kind of like the failure of his social media network. Keep bending the knee.
BadMoonRisin
AG
what kind of idiot pays a monthly subscription for more CNN?
BadMoonRisin
AG
lmao. wikipedia says it launched on March 29th. That's right, TWO WEEKS ago.

And it has less than 10k subscribers a day.

What a colossal failure.
Secolobo
AG
We always here this until the Chinese throw more money at them…
The Collective
AG
Wait, CNN thought people wanted their product a la carte? If I was Dish, DirecTV, Hulu, YouTube TV, etc - I'd take note of this news when negotiating with CNN.
TRADUCTOR
BadMoonRisin said:

lmao. wikipedia says it launched on March 29th. That's right, TWO WEEKS ago.

And it has less than 10k subscribers a day.

What a colossal failure.

Cher has more pull than CNN
Malibu
On the content sucks side you guys should yuck it up. On the pure business side Roku is 49% of streaming market share. CNN+ and only became available yesterday.
Rapier108
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
BadMoonRisin
AG
On the pure business side, it's normal to fire people 2 weeks after your product launches citing the fact that no one wants it?
AggieZUUL
AG
The only good thing to come out of CNN is Rudi Bakhtiar:

mulch
AG
Longhorn Network all over again.

Call your local provider!!!
Malibu
BadMoonRisin said:

On the pure business side, it's normal to fire people 2 weeks after your product launches?

No this whole thing was very poorly executed. It's hard to imagine a go to market strategy with $100 million budget and an oversight of missing 50% of your entire distribution platform at launch. The Axios article mentions that they need to get to 15 to 18,000,000 subscribers by year four in order to be profitable. I can't imagine how anyone with business sense could look at their ratings and say gee, yeah, that seems realistic.
BaileyAg
AG
BadMoonRisin said:

This.
How a rationally thinking person thought this would be a good idea after knowing regular CNN was tanking is beyond me.
Houstonag
AG
CNN, plus the rest of the liberal media groups have been lying to America for years.
milner79
BadMoonRisin said:

CNN's market analysis showed there were 81 million* potential subscribers out there ...
The Lost
Malibu2 said:

BadMoonRisin said:

On the pure business side, it's normal to fire people 2 weeks after your product launches?

No this whole thing was very poorly executed. It's hard to imagine a go to market strategy with $100 million budget and an oversight of missing 50% of your entire distribution platform at launch. The Axios article mentions that they need to get to 15 to 18,000,000 subscribers by year four in order to be profitable. I can't imagine how anyone with business sense could look at their ratings and say gee, yeah, that seems realistic.

Some consultants just made a presentation conforming whatever the exec wanted, probably compared to Netflix subs or something insane instead of print media subs. Unreal how much money was dumped down the drain over a clearly bad idea.
Malibu
You are correct. McKinsey got paid.

https://www.axios.com/cnn-plus-cuts-warner-brothers-discovery-1be0ac3a-6952-4af0-b8e2-03dd6ae0839c.html?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=editorial&utm_content=economy-business-cnnplus

Details: CNN executives, with help from consulting firm McKinsey, originally expected to bring in around 2 million subscribers in the U.S. in the service's first year and 15-18 million after four years.

They originally planned for the service to break even after four years.
rynning
AG
milner79 said:

BadMoonRisin said:

CNN's market analysis showed there were 81 million* potential subscribers out there ...
Underrated post.
Showertime at the Bidens
Malibu2 said:

BadMoonRisin said:

Yeah their required paid subscribers are higher than popular channel views on YouTube.
BenFiasco14
AG
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
lb3
AG
How did anyone give this a green light?

I would be shocked if they have more than 100 subscribers.
Squadron7
AG
milner79 said:

BadMoonRisin said:

The Dead may vote…but they don't stream.
AgNav93
AG
Who green lit this to begin with? Hey our cable channel gets less viewers than pod cast. I've got it let's charge them a subscription fee. Genius. They should name a business schools after that guy.
Malibu
AgNav93 said:

Who green lit this to begin with? Hey our cable channel gets less viewers than pod cast. I've got it let's charge them a subscription fee. Genius. They should name a business schools after that guy.

More fiction has been written in Microsoft Excel than Word.
Fightin_Aggie
AG
Learn. To. Code.
The world needs mean tweets

My Pronouns Ultra and MAGA

Trump 2024
aTm2004
AG
CNN tried chasing Fox and failed miserably. Their ratings should have been the biggest indicator this was doomed from the start.
Squadron7
AG
I don't want to live in a world with the sort of people who would be unwilling to pay out of pocket for Moar! Brian! Stelter!
rocky the dog
AG
Elections are when people find out what politicians stand for, and politicians find out what people will fall for.
captkirk
AG
milner79 said:

BadMoonRisin said:

The dead don't pay for streaming services
No Longer Subsribed
They live in a bubble. They believe their own propaganda. So when they forecast all these paying viewers it was made under the presumption that everybody agrees with their point of view. That's because everybody they talk to in their bubble does agree with their point of view. Those employees who get their pink slip will soon understand that in reality most people don't accept their propaganda. I'm sure Chris Wallace is surprised, because in his bubble everybody he worked with at Fox and most of their viewers are crazy.
YouBet
AG
Called this the day it was launched not that I'm alone with that prediction.

What I said then: "Why would anyone pay for CNN+ when no one watches CNN for free?"

Dumbest executives ever. McKinsey dupes another sucker.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.