I will never buy an electric powered vehicle.

421,005 Views | 6755 Replies | Last: 21 hrs ago by hph6203
Teslag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
How will the savings be moot? The fuel taxes are a fraction of the $300 per month savings.
Teslag
AG
Also, many states have already enacted usage fees for EV's and the highest one is a paltry $200 a year.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
You have a lot of confidence that the government won't find a way to take away the economic advantages the EV may have. They don't like people saving money..prove me wrong.
YouBet
AG
Teslag said:

How will the savings be moot? The fuel taxes are a fraction of the $300 per month savings.
Yes, you are right. I was conflating fuel tax and actual cost of gas in my head.

I stand corrected.
Teslag
AG
Funky Winkerbean said:

You have a lot of confidence that the government won't find a way to take away the economic advantages the EV may have. They don't like people saving money..prove me wrong.

The very government you are worried about is bending over backward to force adoption. If anything, they will expand the per mile cost gap between ice and ev.
BigRobSA
If the savings are on a conveyor, are they moot?
Teslag
AG
YouBet said:

Teslag said:

Yes, you are right. I was conflating fuel tax and actual cost of gas in my head.

I stand corrected.

I think it was a fair attempt on your part and it does highlight a real truth right now. EV's make a lot of sense in the performance/premium market above $50k. For the sub $50k market for the average car buyer who values cost over performance that dynamic changes.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Teslag said:

Funky Winkerbean said:

The very government you are worried about is bending over backward to force adoption. If anything, they will expand the per mile cost gap between ice and ev.
And then close it if the gap gets wide enough.
cslifer
So they made a car with no bearings, a brake system with no parts besides pads, an ac with no compressor, electrical system that will never fail, a touch screen that will never go out,switches that never break etc etc?? This is a true marvel of modern engineering!
My point is mechanical things that have moving parts wear out and break. There will be maintenance costs.
Teslag
AG
None of the things you mentioned are maintenance items.

You seem to be unable to tell the difference between maintenance and repairs.
cslifer
Lol ok you got me. Teslas are the first truly maintenance free vehicle.
Teslag
AG
Yep, they basically are. And it's worth considering as a cost comparison. Add up oil changes, more brake pads/rotors, spark plugs, transmission/differential flush and fluids, fuel filters, etc and the cost can be substantial, especially on expensive foreign performance vehicles.
nortex97
AG
cslifer said:

No idea what he said/claimed this time but even cheerleaders are often disappointed with real world Tesla maintenance costs.
annie88
AG
Currently a happy listless vessel and deplorable. #FDEMS TRUMP 2024.
Fight Fight Fight.
Teslag
AG
nortex97 said:

cslifer said:

No idea what he said/claimed this time but even cheerleaders are often disappointed with real world Tesla maintenance costs.

Someone else doesn't understand the difference between maintenance and repair
Teslag
AG
Most EV owners hardly use superchargers. They are really only for 250 to 300 mile plus road trips
cslifer
Don't argue with him, he will twist the numbers and wording however is necessary to make his Tesla the greatest invention in the history of automobiles. Not worth the trouble.
Manhattan
Teslag said:

Most EV owners hardly use superchargers. They are really only for 250 to 300 mile plus road trips

I exclusively use superchargers and Electrify America, and it's still cheaper than gas in a 50mpg vehicle.
Teslag
AG
Except for when I say they aren't sensible for most vehicle owners. Other than that I guess you're pretty spot on.
Manhattan
Teslag said:

Except for when I say they aren't practical for most vehicle owners. Other than that I guess you're pretty spot on.

They are more practical for anyone with a house/garage who doesn't tow or go on more roadtrips where charging time>gas getting time per year… or anyone with 2nd vehicle.
Teslag
AG
If you are in the market for a sub $50k family car you are much better off going with a traditional ice sedan or crossover suv than you are electric. That market makes up the bulk of US car sales.
Manhattan
A Nissan Leaf would be the best 2nd vehicle ever, get under 20k you are right.
Rockdoc
AG
cslifer said:

Don't argue with him, he will twist the numbers and wording however is necessary to make his Tesla the greatest invention in the history of automobiles. Not worth the trouble.

Still not sure why someone wants to push something so hard to people who are smart enough to make their own decisions. Self validation I guess. Nobody likes a pushy salesman. They end up defeating whatever they're trying to accomplish.
Manhattan
Rockdoc said:

cslifer said:

Still not sure why someone wants to push something so hard to people who are smart enough to make their own decisions. Self validation I guess. Nobody likes a pushy salesman. They end up defeating whatever they're trying to accomplish.

Tesla doenst have salesman and is LITERALLY suing states to not have to have them due to regulatory capture.
Teslag
AG
Rockdoc said:

cslifer said:

I don't care what people buy but there's a lot of stupid **** posted about them on this board.
Rockdoc
AG
Teslag said:

Rockdoc said:

cslifer said:

I don't care what people buy but there's a lot of stupid **** posted about them on this board.

Then it's self validation. Sale away!
Teslag
AG
Except where I just said they aren't right for most people
Rockdoc
AG
Teslag said:

Vaccines either.
Manhattan
The person you replied to is too chicken**** to say it but they are right for pretty much all people.
Teslag
AG
How they are the better than a $30k Honda Civic or Kia for a family in that market? The cost benefit simply isn't there.
texsn95
AG
Teslag said:

Aren't you Salute the Marines? Why'd you change your name?
TRADUCTOR
I am just not comfortable with a car in my garage that can consume my family in a horrific fire.
Teslag
AG
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-02-09/500-000-hyundais-kias-recalled-over-spontaneous-combustion-risk

https://www.mlive.com/news/2021/03/2021-ram-truck-owner-encouraged-to-park-vehicle-outside-due-to-fire-risk-recall-announced.html?outputType=amp

https://cleantechnica.com/2022/07/11/fire-risk-ford-tells-200000-suv-owners-to-park-outside/amp/
Stressboy
AG
Funky Winkerbean said:

Stressboy said:

May have been covered already but in Zeihan's last book he had the carbon emissions to create a EV vs combustion so that the an EV had to drive 55,000 miles before it had any savings over a computation car burning gas the first 55k.

Junk metric but it's what the logistics and statistics denying crowd goes with and it shows that EV is nothing but a gimmick by their own metrics.
Carbon is not a pollutant..the comparison doesn't matter.

DUH! But it is why they are mandating no new combustion in favor of EV.
texsn95
AG
texsn95 said:

Teslag said:

Aren't you Salute the Marines? Why'd you change your name?

??
First Page Last Page
Page 19 of 194

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.