SXSW Invites John Cleese To Panel; Promptly Silences Him

6,296 Views | 60 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by aalan94
Squadron7
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Literally takes away his microphone.

John F***ing Cleese.

Quote:

John Cleese had his microphone taken away at an SXSW comedy event in Austin, TX for having the audacity to joke about reparations according to the Daily Mail.

"[People] get competitive about this business of being oppressed," he deadpanned. "We were oppressed, the English, by the Romans from about 0 to 400."

Cleese asked, "You do know the British have been slaves twice, right?"

[snip]

All of this was part of a 90-minute show called "John Cleese in Conversation," in which he dismissed the idea that the British Empire was somehow the first ever to colonize other nations.

He described human history as "a history of crime," and on that point, he wasn't being funny. "It's a history of people who were stronger beating up people who were weaker and it's always been that. It's deeply, deeply distasteful."

[snip]

Nevertheless, panelist Dulc Sloan, allegedly a comic herself, at one point forcibly relieved Cleese of his microphone.

Sloan claims she did it to "save a comic whose career I respect."

Host Dan Pasternack a producer of somewhat comic Hollywood television material accused Sloan of having "saved the colonizer."

Good God, these people are contemptible and I do hate them.

Link.
Madman
AG
I love John's early work. I also remember him on many occasions telling people not to have kids or participate in the normalcy of western civilization. He thought he was so smart and wise.

I wonder if he understands his shortcomings now?

Aggie4Life02
AG
The left can't meme because the left isn't funny.
Sharpshooter
AG
Fawlty Towers.
Clob94
The left slowly eating their own.
TheEternalPessimist
All of those people silencing Cleese are the mob trying to burn the witches.

Cleese clearly is made of wood and clearly floats. Therefore he is a witch.

Irony.
--

"The Kingdom is for HE that can TAKE IT!" - Alexander
AGinHI
AG
I finding the shutting down of comedians, even legendary ones no less, to be scary, really, and foreboding of something more dangerous.
Agthatbuilds
Did they not know who they invited to take part in a panel. It's not like Cleese has been quiet about his opinions on modern thought
eric76
AG
Hmmm. It said "panelist Dulc Sloan, allegedly a comic herself". Perhaps her "funny" means "peculiar".

Edit to add: Here's her picture.

It does seem peculiar to wrap your head in flowers like that.
Year of the Germaphobe
AG
Sad...time to go watch MP's flying circus on VHS I guess! Been a long time since those got dusted off.
Andrew99
AG
Imagine how they would react to George Carlin. Comedy is different from Epstein since it is not dead yet, but it is being violently strangled.
eric76
AG
Andrew99 said:

Imagine how they would react to George Carlin. Comedy is different from Epstein since it is not dead yet, but it is being violently strangled.
Imagine how she would react to Don Rickles.
Burdizzo
AG
Sharpshooter said:

Fawlty Towers.

That Spanish waiter they had was funny as hell. Could never do that character today.
aggie93
AG
The British Navy essentially became what it is because of slavery. The practice of Barbary Pirates raiding English ports to pillage and kidnap men and women to enslave them. Many of the men died in galleys of ships where they rowed until they died. Many of the women were made into *****s. The Brits knew they needed to create a legitimate and permanent Navy that would protect themselves and to fight off the pirates (virtually all of which were North African POC and Muslim).

The British Navy later was primarily responsible for ending the Transatlantic slave trade by using their military might to do so.

Not that you ever really hear about that other than brief mentions such as the movie Amistad.

Slavery has always been and still is a way of life in much of Africa yet you would think it was a European invention.
"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Ronald Reagan
Tree Hugger
AG
I've been wanting to get a tattoo of his profile from the ministry of silly walks for several years now, this may have put me over the edge to do so.
HarleySpoon
AG
eric76 said:

She is appropriating native Hawaiian culture.
Guy on a Buffalo
AG
eric76 said:

Andrew99 said:

Or Mickey Rooney in Breakfast at Tiffany's!

-----------------------
Truth without love is brutality. Love without truth is compromise.
Squadron7
AG
HarleySpoon said:

eric76 said:

She is appropriating native Hawaiian culture.

Not to mention Half Dome in Yosemite.
Marcus Brutus
Cleese is spot on. I particularly liked this quote:

"He described human history as "a history of crime"
VaultingChemist
AG
Marcus Brutus said:

Cleese is spot on. I particularly liked this quote:

"He described human history as "a history of crime"
About the only way we are going to get kids to learn history is to portray it in TikTok videos.
AGinHI
AG
Also from the OP

Quote:

The worst part of the story? The Austin crowd booed Cleese and cheered Sloan.

This next generation is all in on Marxism and silencing dissidents.

Edit: spelling
Maroon Dawn
AG
The only victims in all of human history are those the left currently needs to play the role of the Proletariat in their Marxist Revolution Narrative

The only oppressors in all of human history are those the left currently needs to play the role of the Bourgeoisie in their Marxist Revolution Narrative
Ags4DaWin
The problem is that he is not wrong.

And the fact that is is correct royally ****s up the narrative that whites are evil and that if ur ancestors were oppressed ur owed something.
eric76
AG
Those who are intent on being offended will always find something to offend them.
rocky the dog
AG
He should have walked out...

Elections are when people find out what politicians stand for, and politicians find out what people will fall for.
- Alfred E. Neuman
buzzardb267
AG
The funniest line I recall from MPFC was "if I walked that way, I wouldn't need aftershave". You can guess the context.
YouBet
AG
I find it insulting that some no name, fatass actually took a microphone away from a living legend.

Would have been great if he had backhanded her.
milner79
He brought that s#!t on himself. Anytime you agree to participate in SXSW, expect Austin wokeness.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Burdizzo said:

Sharpshooter said:

Fawlty Towers.

That Spanish waiter they had was funny as hell. Could never do that character today.
Que?
MouthBQ98
AG
A mob of virtue signaling automatons that wanted their ideological biases and preconceptions confirmed, and instead got them criticized and challenged. They are too mentally unsophisticated and emotionally weak to deal with it. Nearly Useless human beings.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
These are the kind of people we're dealing with:

Agsuffering@bulaw
Woke Fragility!
cevans_40
AG
eric76 said:

Hmmm. It said "panelist Dulc Sloan, allegedly a comic herself". Perhaps her "funny" means "peculiar".

Edit to add: Here's her picture.

Just trying to cover the fat
APHIS AG
eric76 said:

Andrew99 said:

Or to Rodney Dangerfield and Sam Kinison.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
APHIS AG said:

eric76 said:

Andrew99 said:

Or to Rodney Dangerfield and Sam Kinison.

Or Richard Pryor. I'd love for him to be around today to tell some of these morons to STFU.
The American left are the most mentally and emotionally weak people to have ever lived.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.