***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

6,811,994 Views | 45214 Replies | Last: 23 min ago by The Fife
Eliminatus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We had to do this for Afghanistan too. This thread is for the actual facts, data, interpretations, fallouts and other such conversation about this new conflict.

Tired of the BS poo flinging derailing of the other thread. It's annoying to slog through to find actual updates.

Staff - Would you mind keeping a short leash on this thread please?

[2/25/22 9:36 a.m. CST]

[We have had to clean up a lot of derails on this thread and we are not going to do it again without issuing bans to posters for at least 72 hours that make posts that derail from the tactical aspects of this thread. There is the warning. -Staff]

[We are adding this to make it clear that if a poster isn't deliberately trolling or attempting to derail this thread then they do not have to worry about a ban. -Staff]
2wealfth Man
AG
This ends quickly with the isolation and cutoff of Kiev. Ukrainian leadership and command and control better move west
JobSecurity
AG
The other thread should be the update thread and the poo slingers should vacate
Aggiemike96
AG
My mask protects against nuclear fallout?
TX04Aggie
AG
Looking at google maps, Kyiv traffic is certainly moving west right now. Looks like massive traffic getting out of the city.
aezmvp
JobSecurity said:

The other thread should be the update thread and the poo slingers should vacate
If only.
Eliminatus
AG
Quote:

President Zelenskyy reached out to me tonight and we just finished speaking. I condemned this unprovoked and unjustified attack by Russian military forces. I briefed him on the steps we are taking to rally international condemnation, including tonight at the United Nations Security Council. He asked me to call on the leaders of the world to speak out clearly against President Putin's flagrant aggression, and to stand with the people of Ukraine. Tomorrow, I will be meeting with the Leaders of the G7, and the United States and our Allies and partners will be imposing severe sanctions on Russia. We will continue to provide support and assistance to Ukraine and the Ukrainian people.
Latest WH press release.

Definitely spells out more non-direct action. A couple of other NATO countries have been more open about actual military operations. Mainly Britain.

Anyone know what kind of "support and assistance" we are providing now?

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/statements-releases/2022/02/24/statement-by-president-joe-biden-on-phone-call-with-president-volodymyr-zelenskyy-of-ukraine/

From the other thread, anyone know why we have to wait almost 24 hours from this thing starting to announce sanctions?
10thYrSr
The attacks are coming all over the country. No safe space now.Putin has made war and it isn't confined to the separatist regions
ABATTBQ11
AG
Good feelings?
aggiehawg
AG
Prayers to Ukrainians.
Kenneth_2003
AG
What ever came of Biden's comment suggesting damage to NordStream2?

TX04Aggie
AG
So, so far naval attacks in Odesa, military and aviation fields bombed in Kharkiv and Kyiv. Anything else at this point? Not hearing boots on ground yet in the two Eastern provinces declared independent by Putin Or did I miss that?
Invincible Aggie
TX04Aggie
AG
Thanks. Helpful to see where they have targeted already.
deddog
AG
Classic Pincer movement?

Amphibious assault in the South, and ground troops from the North?
More likely the amphibious landings at Odessa geared towards taking Mykolaev from the East?
SEC Champs
AG
Fact: Russians have maneuvered to penetrate the Ukrainian "Tunnel of Love," a lush cavern overgrown by wild bush. In this position, Putin can pound the Ukrainian interior through firm, consistent shelling.

Eliminatus
AG
Invincible Aggie said:

So typical critical infrastructure first. Wonder if this will play out like Iraq. I don't think Ukraine has a chance in the open field but if they withdraw and fight in the cities, they could buy time. At the expense of house to house urban fighting which is the worst.

Has any nation ante'ed up boots yet?
TX04Aggie
AG
BBC saying traffic jams out of Kyiv are taking 4 hours to get out of city towards Poland which backs up the maroon traffic on google maps
W
AG
those western strikes are not too far from the Polish border --- maybe 70 miles or so
Eliminatus
AG

Makes me wonder about status of captured military. Geneva Convention at play here anyone know?
unmade bed
Russia is going to put on a clinic on modern war fighting.

Cyberattacks throughout Ukraine being reported. Things about to get very difficult for Ukraine.
Rapier108
Eliminatus said:

Makes me wonder about status of captured military. Geneva Convention at play here anyone know?
Putin is hoping for even one Ukrainian solider or civilian to do something to a Russian prisoner.

If none do, he'll have the "evidence" manufactured.
10thYrSr
https://old.reddit.com/r/CombatFootage/new/

Updates and videos for the attack are good here
2wealfth Man
AG
Ukrainian forces should pull back to the Dniester river and try to holdout in a pocket there. Make it costly for Putin.
aggiehawg
AG
W said:

those western strikes are not too far from the Polish border --- maybe 70 miles or so
Yeah. We've seen this movie before.

Blitzkrieg.
Eliminatus
AG
Kenneth_2003 said:

I think it is abundantly clear that we are choosing a hands off approach until some invisible line is crossed. Whatever that may be.

Biden has threatened "more sanctions" to a man who just started a war and is actively invading another nation.
10thYrSr
So far the attacks appear to be tactical. Hopefully the loss of life is minimal, but I would be ignorant to assume this will continue
W
AG
from a military history standpoint...

the amphibious assault of Odessa might be a first.

(I think the Germans and Romanians took the city by land during WWII)
TX04Aggie
AG
Will there be a real incursion into Ukraine from the Belarus border as well, since they are a puppet of Russia?
Rapier108
TX04Aggie said:

Will there be a real incursion into Ukraine from the Belarus border as well, since they are a puppet of Russia?
Already happening.
10thYrSr
Eliminatus said:

Kenneth_2003 said:

I think it is abundantly clear that we are choosing a hands off approach until some invisible line is crossed. Whatever that may be.

Biden has threatened "more sanctions" to a man who just started a war and is actively invading another nation.

No invisible line. There is no line. We are standing by and watching it happen, right or wrong.
Eliminatus
AG
W said:

from a military history standpoint...

the amphibious assault of Odessa might be a first.

(I think the Germans and Romanians took the city by land during WWII)
Not to mention the fact a large scale amphibious assault took place at all. (If it actually did). When was the last time that happened? Korea?
unmade bed
TX04Aggie said:

Ukraine has already been invaded via its borders with Russia (east), Belarus (north), and Crimea (south).
Eliminatus
AG
2wealfth Man said:

Ukrainian forces should pull back to the Dniester river and try to holdout there. They Also have the Carpathian mountains to use a last gasp redoubt. Make it costly for Putin.
Their only real option is to buy time and unfortunately, make this an ugly war. At least IMO. Making it ugly will have the best chance of bringing in outside help because as far as I can tell, Ukraine is alone. Entirely alone.
Kenneth_2003
AG
More sanctions... Europe is critically short on natural resources and energy needed to serve their people much less fight a war and fuel a war machine.

Russia will certainly weaponize those oil and gas pipelines if NATO gets involved.

Europe has bowed to the green altar, North Africa? Middle East? Sub Saharran? The US? where will Europe get the energy/fuel to simply survive much less fight if they come to defense of Ukraine?

Brilliant move by Putin, and should be a surprise to no one
Last Page
Page 1 of 1293

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.