Houston man commits murder while out on bond for capital murder

4,870 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TAMU1990
Fat Black Swan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Beto's legacy lives on.

Edit: Manslaughter not murder

https://www.fox26houston.com/news/judge-lowers-20-year-old-capital-murder-defendants-bond-to-50000-now-hes-accused-of-killing-someone-else

Quote:

Judge lowers 20-year-old capital murder defendant's bond to $50,000; now he's accused of killing someone else

Quote:

HOUSTON - Even though Criminal District Court judges can deny bonds to capital murder defendants, we have found more than 110 capital murder suspects free from jail on bond. At least four of them are accused of killing someone else while out on bond.

There are good reasons why Texas gives judges the right to deny bond to capital murder suspects.

"To receive a capital murder charge, it has to be multiple people, it has to be a murder in the commission of a felony offense, or you have to kill a law enforcement officer," said Doug Griffith president of the Houston Police Officers Union.

"Either one of those three things you have proven that you are not going to be productive in this society."

Keep in mind capital murder suspects are facing a possible death sentence or life in prison.

"You've got to understand nine times out of 10, they're not coming back to court," Griffith said.

On October 19, 2017, police say 20-year-old Jonathan Vera and two other men killed Silvano Cortez during a home invasion in Houston's Greenspoint area.

"Held the homeowner and his wife at gunpoint, ransacked the house, and ended up killing a 55-year-old homeowner and shooting another person while they were trying to flee the scene," said Andy Kahan with Crime Stoppers.

In June 2018, a then 17-year-old Jonathan Vera was charged with capital murder. His bond was set at $250,000.

"He was actually in jail for at least two-plus years," Kahan said. "While he was in the Harris County Jail, he was actually charged with another felony, harassment of a public servant."

Then in March 2021, 351st Criminal District Court Judge Natalia Cornelio lowered Vera's bond.

"The 351st District Court, I mean, lowered it to what I've never seen in my career," said Kahan. "$50,000 for capital murder."

"That is insane," Griffith said. "Two years ago that would have been an aggravated assault bond."

One day after Judge Cornelio lowered Vera's bond, he walked out of jail.

Just last week, police say Vera took another life and is now charged with manslaughter in the death of Summer Chester.

"The reduction of his bond from $250,000 to $50,000 led to the killing of Summer Chester," Kahan said. "There's no ifs, ands, or buts about it."
riverrataggie
AG
Natalia Cornelio Should be charged with manslaughter
Clob94
Not clicking the link.

Going to ask if Obama had daughters or sons?
deddog
AG
Nothing will change until someone holds the judge accountable.

They are about as culpable as the actual murderer
deddog
AG
Clob94 said:

Not clicking the link.

Going to ask if Obama had daughters or sons?
Everyone involved appears to be hispanic
CDUB98
AG
Just another day in the Tine.
MouthBQ98
AG
A relatively small number of very maladjusted, sociopathic, or highly disagreeable personality type young males commit the VAST bulk of serious and violent crime. They rarely reform when young after multiple crimes, and have no legitimate social or economic status when released early so they turn to their violently obtained criminal social status right away. They need to be kept apart from civil society quite literally until they mature out of it. Some never do, but by their 30's, many of these males actually can be rehabilitated.
BlackLab
AG
It's literally what she ran on:

https://www.law.uchicago.edu/news/natalia-cornelio-06-judge-adopts-motto-justice-what-love-looks-public
sharpdressedman
Judge Natalia Cornelio may have to face justice as defined by the manslaughter victim's family, where "bond" does not exist.
BMX Bandit
The bond issue is completely ridiculous. This judge is a moron.

Small correction to thread title, he did not murder anyone. It was a hit and run car accident.

This poor woman would still be alive if not for the judges actions though. Incredibly sad
Shoefly!
AG
sharpdressedman said:

Judge Natalia Cornelio may have to face justice as defined by the manslaughter victim's family, where "bond" does not exist.

Cornelia bringing her Chicago justice to Harris County. I'll bet she lives in a gated community.
schmellba99
AG
I keep telling you....tarring and feathering is the answer to this bullsht
IDaggie06
AG
sharpdressedman said:

From that bi**hes campaign website:
Criminal Justice Experience:

"As a public defender, I was able to see how our justice system works and what needs to improve. I saw first-hand that our lower income communities and our communities of color are disproportionately impacted by our justice system. I learned about the immigration consequences that impact many who are touched by our criminal justice system.

As the Director of Legal Affairs for Harris County Precinct One, I helped negotiate and finalize the settlement agreement in the misdemeanor bail reform lawsuit in Harris County, and learned about resources available to our judges who want to move our system forward."

All the pictures on her website are regarding black lives matter and "latina" bs.

Voting for her literally lead to the death of someone in Houston. It is a fact that if she was not voted in by Houston democrats, that person would not have died. Democrats and their race baiting are absolute scum. So anytime one of your liberal friends in Houston tells you they voted for a democrat, you can say they helped kill a person.
Marcus Brutus
sharpdressedman said:

Hopefully so. This is not going to stop.

I looked this idiot up. She's a woke Latina.
BlackLab
AG
Marcus Brutus said:

sharpdressedman said:

It's latinx. Check your privilege.
Marcus Brutus
BlackLab said:

Marcus Brutus said:

sharpdressedman said:

It's latinx. Check your privilege.

Checked, sorry bout that.
93MarineHorn
Quote:

"As a public defender, I was able to see how our justice system works and what needs to improve. I saw first-hand that our lower income communities and our communities of color are disproportionately impacted by our justice system. I learned about the immigration consequences that impact many who are touched by our criminal justice system.
I'm so sick of hearing this garbage from the Left. Low income communities and communities of color commit WAY more crime than other communities. How about instead of blaming the justice system, blame these communities that keep raising some of the worst people.

It isn't racism or bad cops or unjust laws. It's a broken culture that excuses criminality.

PCC_80
AG
Sadly almost half the people in this country fully support this.
Satellite of Love
sharpdressedman said:

They need to go after her in civil court as well. Hold this c**t accountable for her reckless. actions.
ClassicAg18
AG
Very well said and so true
winmck
S

CDUB98
AG
More like Cornholio.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
Why isn't someone in Houston putting these judges' pictures on billboards all over town?
DuncanLEO
I don't know what this has got to do with Beto, he's got plenty of his own issues, the heat should be on this dip**** judge.

$50k for capital murder? I routinely see bonds much higher for 2nd degree felonies, and for good reason.

Holy hell, she needs to rot.
DuncanLEO
Some Junkie Cosmonaut said:

Why isn't someone in Houston putting these judges' pictures on billboards all over town?
Probably because they are supported in their jurisdictions. Houston is Blue, right?
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
DuncanLEO said:

Probably because they are supported in their jurisdictions. Houston is Blue, right?

Yet it affects the entire area. Why can't someone *outside* of their jurisdictions put them on blast?

Crazy concept. I know.
CDUB98
AG
DuncanLEO said:

I don't know what this has got to do with Beto, he's got plenty of his own issues, the heat should be on this dip**** judge.

$50k for capital murder? I routinely see bonds much higher for 2nd degree felonies, and for good reason.

The judge was swept into office on the straight ticket Democratic wave that happened when he ran for Fed Senate. Same way got Commandante Hidalgo in Harris county.
DuncanLEO

DuncanLEO said:

Yet it affects the entire area. Why can't someone *outside* of their jurisdictions put them on blast?

Crazy concept. I know.
I totally agree, 1 million percent. I'm just saying, she's going to be supported in her jurisdiction I'd bet. Like Sheila and the other incompetents. The crazy concept is hoping this changes, its not, it will get worse.
DuncanLEO
CDUB98 said:

DuncanLEO said:

The judge was swept into office on the straight ticket Democratic wave that happened when he ran for Fed Senate. Same way got Commandante Hidalgo in Harris county.
****s getting borked in large Texas cities. It ain't like it used to be.
PCC_80
AG
DuncanLEO said:

CDUB98 said:

DuncanLEO said:

****s getting borked in large Texas cities. It ain't like it used to be.
You get what you vote for. Unfortunately many people are to stupid to realize what they are actually voting for.
rwtxag83
AG
CDUB98 said:

More like Cornholio.

More like NADA
Greater love hath no man than this....
BlueAg2003
AG
"Nata" is much more at fault for this murder than Remington is for the Sandy Hook murders. But I bet the family of this victim will never see a dime.
Tex100
AG
BlackLab said:

It's literally what she ran on:

https://www.law.uchicago.edu/news/natalia-cornelio-06-judge-adopts-motto-justice-what-love-looks-public

https://www.nataliacornelio.com/

Yep.
Tex100
AG
Houston Police say a driver is being charged in connection with a hit-and-run collision at I-45 and Greens Rd in Houston, TX on January 25th, 2022. 20-year-old Jonathan Vera is accused of running a red light and colliding with a vehicle occupied by 23-year-old Summer Chester. After the collision, police say Vera and his passengers fled the scene, leaving Chester behind with injuries she died from at the scene. Vera was arrested on an unrelated charge for capital murder before also being charged for manslaughter and failure to stop and render aid in connection with the crash.
Buck Turgidson
How the hell do you get out on bond when being tried for murder?! That should not be legally possible.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.