AirBNB bans Michelle Malkin for speech at conference

14,585 Views | 125 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BAP Enthusiast
93MarineHorn
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Quote:

TXAGFAN said:
When you live with actual discrimination you don't get too excited about some white racists being barred from an app/website to book vacation rentals.

They'll survive and there are countless options for them to find lodging. If they don't make a scene I doubt for example the Marriott brand will care about their beliefs.
Who is living with actual discrimination? I mean the kind of discrimination described in the OP. Are gays or minorities banned from places or services for being gay or a minority? I'm tired of these blanket assertions from lying race hustlers. No one cares if you're gay or a minority, no business does. I know, some bakery in CO didn't want to bake a gay marriage cake many years ago. This is not a widespread problem.
Tanya 93
Stinky T said:

Tanya 93 said:

Stinky T said:

Tanya 93 said:

Stinky T said:

Tanya 93 said:

Aggie Jurist said:

Quote:

TXAGFAN said:
When you live with actual discrimination you don't get too excited about some white racists being barred from an app/website to book vacation rentals.

They'll survive and there are countless options for them to find lodging. If they don't make a scene I doubt for example the Marriott brand will care about their beliefs.
I'm sorry, but MM has lived with plenty - not that you care troll - and not that it matters. A little discrimination suffered by the wrong side is OK in your (and your team's) book.

And discrimination because you are gay is okay with many, a few on this board, because it is sinful.

It isn't ok with me in any situation. See, that's what we call consistency. That's a sign of integrity for those who apparently don't know what that looks like. Everybody has experienced some form of discrimination in their life. Only small minded people think it is ok when it is on the other foot and/ or doled out in a strictly vindictive manner.
I am good with being consistent.

I just believe that some outraged at this are okay with others being in her situation for different reasons.

Personally, I think take their money and donate it to the opposite of their cause is the better way.

But she doesn't have a problem with not baking the cake. There are other places to get the cake and other places for her to stay.

So are you ok with someone not baking a cake for discriminatory reasons? If you have a problem with someone saying there are other places to get a cake, then you should also have a problem with someone saying there are other places to stay. Or do you just enjoy judging others for inconsistencies that you actually share with them, only on a basis of vindication rather than religion?
There is a big difference between thinking something is okay and thinking it is legal.

Her political beliefs have no legal protections.

Personally, I think they shouldn't ban her.
But my opinion doesn't matter to their desire to promote a specific image

Ahh, so it is ok to project a certain image. That is good to know. And for the record I don't care what the baker does or what Airbnb does either. I just like pointing out those that throw rocks in glass houses - like you.
Except I am not throwing rocks.

I do get why you need to say I am.

I have no problem with her. But Airbnb does.
And that changes her ability to stay with them
Proc92
You want identity politics, you are gonna get it.
Womackster
AG
WHOOP!'91 said:

c-jags said:

People need to pause a second here:

1. i in no way agree with Txagfan's trolling
2. Michelle Maulkin should not be banned for her free association
3. Speaking at a conference does not indicate complete agreement with that group
4. I am on the right, I think 99% of the claims of white supremacy are complete BS

5. AmRen is 100% a white nationalist group at best. I'm not saying they ARE White Supremacists. But they are super sketchy.

Their About Us:
Quote:

Race is an important aspect of individual an group identity. Of all the fault lines that divide society language, religion, class, ideology it is the most prominent and divisive. Race and racial conflict are at the heart of some of the most serious challenges the Western World faces in the 21st century.

The problems of race cannot be solved without adequate understanding. Attempts to gloss over the significance of race or even to deny its reality only make problems worse. Progress requires the study of all aspects of race, whether historical, cultural, or biological. This approach is known as race realism.

We also believe that whites, like all racial groups, have legitimate interests that must be defended. The defense of those interests is white advocacy. We seek to advance only those interests that we recognize and would defend for all other racial groups. We seek no advantages as whites only the expression of preferences for our own people and culture that are taken for granted by people of other races but denied to us.

They sound like whatever you consider LULAC or NAACP. "We seek no advantages as whites" seems to discount the idea they are "supremacists", at least.
Yeah. I think it's a stupid take, but fail to see how it's different than LULAC or NAACP. Is AirBnb going to ban anyone who speaks at a LULAC or NAACP event?
richardag
I've heard it all now. Michelle Malkin is a white supremacist.

She's a 1st generation daughter of Philippine immigrants.

Some people need to really reassess their view points.
Among the latter, under pretence of governing they have divided their nations into two classes, wolves and sheep.”
Thomas Jefferson, Letter to Edward Carrington, January 16, 1787
Cromagnum
AG
[Derailing. -Staff]
Womackster
AG
Tanya 93 said:

Stinky T said:

Tanya 93 said:

Stinky T said:

Tanya 93 said:

Stinky T said:

Tanya 93 said:

Aggie Jurist said:

Quote:

TXAGFAN said:

I'm sorry, but MM has lived with plenty - not that you care troll - and not that it matters. A little discrimination suffered by the wrong side is OK in your (and your team's) book.

And discrimination because you are gay is okay with many, a few on this board, because it is sinful.

It isn't ok with me in any situation. See, that's what we call consistency. That's a sign of integrity for those who apparently don't know what that looks like. Everybody has experienced some form of discrimination in their life. Only small minded people think it is ok when it is on the other foot and/ or doled out in a strictly vindictive manner.

I just believe that some outraged at this are okay with others being in her situation for different reasons.

Personally, I think take their money and donate it to the opposite of their cause is the better way.

But she doesn't have a problem with not baking the cake. There are other places to get the cake and other places for her to stay.

So are you ok with someone not baking a cake for discriminatory reasons? If you have a problem with someone saying there are other places to get a cake, then you should also have a problem with someone saying there are other places to stay. Or do you just enjoy judging others for inconsistencies that you actually share with them, only on a basis of vindication rather than religion?
There is a big difference between thinking something is okay and thinking it is legal.

Ahh, so it is ok to project a certain image. That is good to know. And for the record I don't care what the baker does or what Airbnb does either. I just like pointing out those that throw rocks in glass houses - like you.

So you're on a road trip and stop at Motel 6 to get a room and they say, "I'm sorry. You can't reserve a room here. You commented positively on the twitter account for Capri Sun and we've decided Capri Sun is racist."

That's perfectly fine?
ABATTBQ11
AG
"I support the right of a business to refuse service to anyone for any reason until they refuse service to me."

That about sums up the position on this from both sides.
ArbAg
AG
TXAGFAN said:

TxAgPreacher said:

TXAGFAN said:

TxAgPreacher said:

Oh because it doesn't apply to you, and it's happening to people you disagree with politically you don't care. You'll even help smear them as racist.

They will come for you when you step out of line, and don't tow the party line.

Btw Malkin is an Asian woman that holds pretty mainstream beliefs.
Ive posted about the cake couple before, gay people aren't subjected to systemic discrimination like people of color were in mid 20th century and can just go somewhere else. Money talks.

I don't have a single issue with Airbnb, a private business, blocking these people as a result and see no hypocrisy. Do you see any in the conservatives upset with Airbnb? I do.

I don't care what this person's race is, who they associate with is why they were barred by Airbnb.

They will lie and call anyone a racist or white supremacist and have your access to most everything pulled, even for a light affiliation.

Chinese style social credit score is here.

Even Joe Rogan is not exempt from political attacks.

You need to wake up.
If you behave badly there are consequences though. Don't see how that's any different than any other point in my life and it's not a political matter.

Good for Mr Rogan, he has **** you money and influence. Thankfully will be no gofundme's for him. He's no victim. Im sure his agreements with Spotify are in his favor as Spotify would have surely offloaded him if they could have gotten out of his immense contractual compensation.

"Behave badly" according to who? Some liberal administrator at some firm? There will be a backlash to this kind of (real) discrimination and companies will regret ever getting involved or pursuing this path against people that don't ascribe to the CNN / MSNBC narratives. The consumer campaign against this pathetic discrimination will be in their face sooner than they think!
Easy 8
I wouldn't have much of an issue with this if Air BnB left the decision to rent or not up to the hosts/property owners. But to ban her from the platform altogether is bull****. Funny thing is, if you asked 100 Air BnB hosts who Michelle Malkin is, I bet 99 would say they've never heard of her.

My business provides a service that people come from out of town for. We have Air BnB listed as a lodging option on our website. I'll be removing that today.
texsn95
AG
Yet another thread that's TAF'd. Unreal.
TRADUCTOR
Internet and internet based companies are a public utility and the companies are violating our civil rights.
BMX Bandit
TRADUCTOR said:

Internet and internet based companies are a public utility and the companies are violating our civil rights.

MuH rigHtS!!!
Tanya 93
Womackster said:

Tanya 93 said:

Stinky T said:

Tanya 93 said:

Stinky T said:

Tanya 93 said:

Stinky T said:

Tanya 93 said:

Aggie Jurist said:

Quote:

TXAGFAN said:

So you're on a road trip and stop at Motel 6 to get a room and they say, "I'm sorry. You can't reserve a room here. You commented positively on the twitter account for Capri Sun and we've decided Capri Sun is racist."

That's perfectly fine?
This is what I have been constantly saying, there is a huge difference between something being fine and something being legal.

And while I don't get Capri Sun or Cosmic Brownie hate, I will never stay in a place without options nearby after being refused a table in Tallahassee because the Aggies beat FSU in a Super Regional
Marcus Brutus
ABATTBQ11 said:

"I support the right of a business to refuse service to anyone for any reason until they refuse service to me."

I'd be fine with that, but that's not what we have in this country. Thus, I'm not OK with this discrimination.
BluHorseShu
AG
C@LAg said:

https://www.dailywire.com/news/airbnb-confirms-ban-on-commentator-michelle-malkin?%3Futm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=dwtwitter

Airbnb has banned Michelle Malkin, blocking the right-wing political commentator from booking reservations on its platform, the company confirmed last week.

Malkin, who has aligned herself in recent months with Nick Fuentes' America First movement, said on Twitter Wednesday that she and her husband had been banned from staying at Airbnb locations. The vacation rental company deleted Malkin's account because of her participation in the 2021 American Renaissance Conference, according to an email Malkin posted online.

"It has come to our attention that you were a keynote speaker for the 2021 American Renaissance Conference earlier this month in Tennessee," the email said. "Airbnb's community policies prohibit people who are members of or actively associate with known hate groups. Due to your promotion and participation in a known white nationalist and white supremacist conference, we have determined that we will remove your account from Airbnb. This is consistent with action we've taken to ban people associated with this conference in past years."

The platform confirmed Malkin's ban in a statement to The Daily Beast on Wednesday. "Consistent with our policies, if we become aware of users who are members of or are actively affiliated with hate groups, we remove them from Airbnb," spokesman Ben Breit said.

Airbnb took action against Malkin's husband's account in addition to her own because "[a]s we can see that your Airbnb travels are typically reserved via your husband's account, we will also proceed in removing his account," according to the email Malkin posted.
I absolutely disagree with their corporate tactic, legal or not. It becomes a very slippery slope quickly. The American Ren group is a bunch of idiots whose founder has said some idiotic things, but Malkin did nothing but speak at their conference. But as soon as consumers take their money elsewhere, AirBnB will change its tune. The almighty dollar seems to be the ultimate equalizer
BMX Bandit
Quote:

But as soon as consumers take their money elsewhere, AirBnB will change its tune.

This is true. But Michelle Malkin ban isn't going to be the thing that moves that needle. Someone above said, few know who she is.

Leftist always take it too far, and no doubt they will do that by naming someone else with more pull soon.
DannyDuberstein
AG
When you punish people for just having a dialogue with a group, you are only going to drive us toward a more divided, hateful country
YouBet
AG
neAGle96 said:

We need a list (or thread) of organizations who are banning individuals who don't share their political ideology.
Pretty easy actually. Almost every organization that is in the mainstream tech space are far left autocrats/fascists/racists. Whatever you want to call them.

There are very few that actually believe in freedom.
Tanya 93
[This post did not add anything to the thread and derailed it into a discussion about you. Ban. -Staff]

Buck Turgidson
Ghost91 said:

4stringAg said:

Who determines for AirBNB what is a hate group and what isn't?

My guess is that it's all decided by a pasty-white, page-boy haircut sporting, cat-eye glasses wearing grumpy cynical miserable white chick. In NY, or thereabouts.

I'd bet a large sum that you're dead-on.
pagerman @ work
AG
Michelle Malkin was not prohibited from using AirBNB because she was conservative. She was banned because she associates with American Renaissance. American Renaissance is not a conservative organization. They are (to be generous) a race centric organization that focuses on "defending"/promoting whiteness. While there may be some overlap between their beliefs and some positions that are considered republican or conservative, that is in no way the focus of this organization.

There is nothing conservative about a focus on skin color, regardless of what that skin color is. Reducing the size and scope of the federal government promoting the rights and liberty of the individual over the collective (all individuals, regardless of the skin color of the individual) are conservative starting points. American Renaissance is only vaguely interested in things of this nature; their focus is on race. Focusing on race (regardless of the race in question) is repugnant.

Are they racist? Probably, at least to some degree. They're not the Klan, but I would think that they would find more common ground with them than they would differences. Basically they perform a similar function to what Sinn Fein did for the IRA: try to defend the indefensible.

That said, they are no more (or less) racist than BLM. Assuming that AirBNB is not shutting down the accounts of people affiliated with BLM, Malkin has a legitimate complaint.

But she was not booted for being a conservative.
“Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy. It's inherent virtue is the equal sharing of miseries." - Winston Churchill
WHOOP!'91
AG
Easy 8 said:

I wouldn't have much of an issue with this if Air BnB left the decision to rent or not up to the hosts/property owners. But to ban her from the platform altogether is bull****. Funny thing is, if you asked 100 Air BnB hosts who Michelle Malkin is, I bet 99 would say they've never heard of her.

My business provides a service that people come from out of town for. We have Air BnB listed as a lodging option on our website. I'll be removing that today.
One step further is that if I am a host on AirBnB, I absolutely want the Malkins to stay at my house unless I am as woke as corporate.

If I did host on AirBnB, I would probably stop now. Too many other options to tolerate idiocy like this.
DannyDuberstein
AG
So your point is she wasn't banned for being a conservative. She was banned for something that liberals are not banned for. Okay
Marcus Brutus
WHOOP!'91 said:

Easy 8 said:

One step further is that if I am a host on AirBnB, I absolutely want the Malkins to stay at my house unless I am as woke as corporate.

If I did host on AirBnB, I would probably stop now. Too many other options to tolerate idiocy like this.

We really do need a parallel economy/society now.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
We already do, it's called choice. Cancel culture eliminates choice.

Let free markets work without political intervention.
jickyjack1
ArbAg said:

TXAGFAN said:

TxAgPreacher said:

TXAGFAN said:

TxAgPreacher said:

Oh because it doesn't apply to you, and it's happening to people you disagree with politically you don't care. You'll even help smear them as racist.

They will come for you when you step out of line, and don't tow the party line.

Btw Malkin is an Asian woman that holds pretty mainstream beliefs.
Ive posted about the cake couple before, gay people aren't subjected to systemic discrimination like people of color were in mid 20th century and can just go somewhere else. Money talks.

I don't have a single issue with Airbnb, a private business, blocking these people as a result and see no hypocrisy. Do you see any in the conservatives upset with Airbnb? I do.

I don't care what this person's race is, who they associate with is why they were barred by Airbnb.

They will lie and call anyone a racist or white supremacist and have your access to most everything pulled, even for a light affiliation.

Chinese style social credit score is here.

Even Joe Rogan is not exempt from political attacks.

You need to wake up.
If you behave badly there are consequences though. Don't see how that's any different than any other point in my life and it's not a political matter.

Good for Mr Rogan, he has **** you money and influence. Thankfully will be no gofundme's for him. He's no victim. Im sure his agreements with Spotify are in his favor as Spotify would have surely offloaded him if they could have gotten out of his immense contractual compensation.

"Behave badly" according to who? Some liberal administrator at some firm? There will be a backlash to this kind of (real) discrimination and companies will regret ever getting involved or pursuing this path against people that don't ascribe to the CNN / MSNBC narratives. The consumer campaign against this pathetic discrimination will be in their face sooner than they think!

Unfortunately, this is not true. These empty declarations have been going on for years -- "You'd better watch out", "Just wait, you'll be sorry", "Go woke, go broke", etc., etc., etc.. Just like the kid who got his ass whipped and after the guy who rang his bell is out of earshot, starts threatening about what he (the whipee) is fixing to do to get even. Of course, it never happens -- in either case. Invective is ineffective. 1) Keep your mouth shut 2) Do something.
jickyjack1
pagerman @ work
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

So your point is she wasn't banned for being a conservative. She was banned for something that liberals are not banned for. Okay
And lots of people were upset because she was being "targeted because she was conservative" and saying this was about her politics. And that is not true.
“Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy. It's inherent virtue is the equal sharing of miseries." - Winston Churchill
Rapier108
I know "bake the cake" was brought up before the thread got cleaned, but there is a huge difference.

The baker did not refuse to sell his products to the men who wanted a wedding cake. He refused to make a cake specifically for an event he could not support due to his religious beliefs. The men in question had been customers previously for other items and never had an issue, and were welcome to come to the store anytime they wanted to. He did not ban them for being homosexual, nor did he refuse the cake because they were homosexual, but rather for what that specific cake would represent.

AirBnB is banning someone outright from using their service for no reason other than the person's political positions.
DannyDuberstein
AG
pagerman @ work said:

DannyDuberstein said:

And lots of people were upset because she was being "targeted because she was conservative" and saying this was about her politics. And that is not true.

LOL. If she wouldn't be banned for soeaking at a BLM event, this absolutely is about her politics
pagerman @ work
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

pagerman @ work said:

DannyDuberstein said:

LOL. If she wouldn't be banned for soeaking at a BLM event, this absolutely is about her politics
So you are saying she would have been banned for speaking at CPAC?

All we have is what they stated, which is that her speaking at the American Renaissance conference is the reason.

Feel free to be offended that AirBNB prefers black racism to white racism, but that is the discussion, not that supporting small government got her booted.

Frankly, American Renaissance and BLM are two sides of the same odious, un-American coin.
Ellis Wyatt
oh no said:

oh no said:

The American Renaissance Conference? How hateful is this white supremacist group? What are their crimes? How many people have they killed? Targets or Best Buys looted? Buildings burned? Can someone tell me more about them?
I just tried to look them up at work and their website is blocked. I've probably been reported to HR now. These American Renaissance guys must be really hateful and dangerous. Why would that Asian lady speak at their conference and risk not being allowed to rent houses ever again?
I am trying to figure out how MM survived. Surely her life was in danger.
nu awlins ag
AG
Harry Stone said:

bye bye airbnb.

and txagfan, please let me know what company you own so i can be sure to avoid that too.

I assume hairdresser.
Buzzy
Tanya 93 said:

I am not even trolling on this thread and staff gets involved.

So you're admitting you troll on other threads on here?
ABATTBQ11
AG
Marcus Brutus said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

I'd be fine with that, but that's not what we have in this country. Thus, I'm not OK with this discrimination.

Well if you'd be fine with it, then take a principled stand and be fine with it and protest when it isn't the case. Drop the whattaboutism. You can't ***** and moan about someone taking your preferred position simply because it is now inconvenient for you. The only guy actually maintaining some consistency on page 1 is taking half the crap in this thread, but at least he's consistent.

As someone mentioned earlier about internet companies being public utilities, I remember not long ago when conservatives were in an uproar about net neutrality and liberals trying to use that bad same argument. The argument was the internet wasn't a basic necessity, but a convenience, so it should stay privatized because privatized is better. Back then, internet companies had private infrastructure and should be able to do what they wanted, but now all of a sudden they should be public utilities because they're overwhelmingly liberal and act like it. Well which one is it?

And as for privatization, the default position of the conservatives on this board seems to be that privatization and freedom are always better. Well here you have a private company exercising it's freedom and all of the regular characters are now flip flopping and *****ing about the dangers and horrors of it. Apparently freedom is great until it's someone else's and they're the one taking their ball and going home.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.