Abbott Says Texas Ready For Winter Storm

3,867 Views | 67 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Tanya 93
End Of Message
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
aggie93 said:

aginlakeway said:

cmag said:

aginlakeway said:

sleepybeagle said:

Last years freeze was a once in a century event.

This years freeze is normal winter weather.

Yep. Last year likely won't happen again in our lifetimes.

Seems like we say that every couple years in Houston and then the rains come and say "hold my beer"

OK. But Texas will very likely not get another week like we had last February in our lifetimes. The odds are very high.

The only event that was close was when we had the big snow in the '80s. Lived in San Antonio and it snowed 11 inches and the previous 100 year record was 3. So it will happen again sometime but probably not for a couple decades at least, it really takes a perfect confluence of events for it to occur South of Waco, especially in San Antonio or Houston.

The rain/flooding issue is going to be ongoing as long as we have so many people living in an area with that type of ground near the coast. Wildfires are also going to continue to be a problem with population growth and strain on water resources, I expect we will see another Bastrop fire type issue again when we have our next nasty drought, . Lots we can and are doing to prepare but in the end having 10's of millions of people with so many continuing to move here causes problems that are hard to forsee.
Our family sheltered at the Hill Country Hyatt. It was glorious.
Resistance to tyranny is obedience to God.
The Hawk
AG
Let's hope he's right or we'll get Governor Beto. We in the natural gas industry are not that confident.
tk111
AG
cmag said:

aginlakeway said:

cmag said:

aginlakeway said:

sleepybeagle said:

Seems like we say that every couple years in Houston and then the rains come and say "hold my beer"

OK. But Texas will very likely not get another week like we had last February in our lifetimes. The odds are very high.

I'm only 42ish and I wouldn't bet any amount of money on that. How many times have you heard someone say that in your lifetime? I know most people here have shifted the goal posts from "climate change doesn't exist" to either it's no big deal or people didn't do it, but I've had a lot of once-in-a-lifetimes in my lifetime.

To keep this on topic: this is a non-event, Abbott's a w****
That storm shattered damn near every winter record on the books in TX. Considering that implies that many circumstances of the event were the worst in recorded history, a lifetime seems like a short bet
aginlakeway
AG
tk111 said:

cmag said:

aginlakeway said:

cmag said:

aginlakeway said:

sleepybeagle said:

I'm only 42ish and I wouldn't bet any amount of money on that. How many times have you heard someone say that in your lifetime? I know most people here have shifted the goal posts from "climate change doesn't exist" to either it's no big deal or people didn't do it, but I've had a lot of once-in-a-lifetimes in my lifetime.

That storm shattered damn near every winter record on the books in TX. Considering that implies that many circumstances of the event were the worst in recorded history, a lifetime seems like a short bet

Yep.
"I'm sure that won't make a bit of difference for those of you who enjoy a baseless rage over the decisions of a few teenagers."
End Of Message
AG
The Hawk said:

Let's hope he's right or we'll get Governor Beto. We in the natural gas industry are not that confident.

What is your take on the RRC and it's incompetency in addressing the issues?
Resistance to tyranny is obedience to God.
Ag with kids
AG
cmag said:

aginlakeway said:

cmag said:

aginlakeway said:

cmag said:

aginlakeway said:

sleepybeagle said:

OK. I'll take that bet. What are the metrics we are using? How about consecutive hours under freezing? The DFW area had 222 straight hours in 2021. The Houston area had 112 straight hours. Both shattered previous records.

Sounds good. We'll be generous and say I live to 2050. Bookmarked.
nm
Tanya 93
And school is canceled tomorrow
Tanya 93
Ag with kids
AG
Tanya 93 said:

At least you're getting 9 inches /chiken probably
aginlakeway
AG
Tanya 93 said:

We are supposed to get around 9 inches of snow.

Personally, I think five.

Hopefully they plow the cul de sac tomorrow so someone can go to school.

Big difference between 5 inches and 9 inches of snow.
"I'm sure that won't make a bit of difference for those of you who enjoy a baseless rage over the decisions of a few teenagers."
Charpie
AG
Ag with kids said:

Tanya 93 said:

cmag
Ag with kids said:

Tanya 93 said:

Signel
AG
Don't care.. we will be fine just like all the other winter storms we've had over the last 50 years. Last year was fabricated by politicians to create an issue.

aginlakeway
AG
Signel said:

Don't care.. we will be fine just like all the other winter storms we've had over the last 50 years. Last year was fabricated by politicians to create an issue.

The cold weather was fabricated?
Signel
AG
aginlakeway said:

Signel said:

Not having redundancy for the power grid and having a COOP plan..... Almost like they wanted things to get bad so they could blame the climate. Meanwhile, we've had ice storms in texas for years.
Charpie
AG
I don't remember ever having power lost for days at a time in the cold. Or not having water as a result of the cold for days at a time. Yeah that was all done on purpose
Signel
AG
Charpie said:

I don't remember ever having power lost for days at a time in the cold. Or not having water as a result of the cold for days at a time. Yeah that was all done on purpose
The state has Texas Department of Emergency Management for a reason. They have plans for hurricanes and other foreseeable issues. We have cold weather all the time. To think that ERCOT doesn't know their fundamental role in managing the power grid is truly unbelievable.

Total production / How many people need power seems ID10T proof doesn't it?
Tanya 93
Ag with kids said:

Tanya 93 said:

Nine inches
aginlakeway
AG
Signel said:

aginlakeway said:

Signel said:

Not having redundancy for the power grid and having a COOP plan..... Almost like they wanted things to get bad so they could blame the climate. Meanwhile, we've had ice storms in texas for years.

So people losing power was fabricated? They wanted that to happen? Really?

The record setting 10 days straight below freezing and snow was just an ice storm?
Charpie
AG
Yeah. They used Bush's hurricane machine to make it all happen!
Tanya 93
The 9 inches has not shown up yet
The Hawk
AG
Nat gas prices for tomorrow indicate their won't be much issue, but proof will be tomorrow morning.
FamousAgg
Tanya 93 said:

goatchze
AG
sleepybeagle said:

This is the perception of most people under 50, but it is not correct.

Last year's storm was not a once in a century event. In fact, in the last 40 years, it only ranks #3 in terms of severity.

And yes, we will be fine this week.
Tanya 93
Not even 5 inches so far.

More is expected this afternoon
Pookers
AG
Tanya 93 said:

5 inches is perfectly acceptable.
Irish 2.0
GeorgiAg
AG
Pookers said:

Tanya 93 said:

GeorgiAg
AG
Tanya 93 said:

rgag12
AG
If you don't get at least 6 inches of snow you don't even feel it
FamousAgg
Everyone knows it's about diameter… of the flakes
Tanya 93
Pookers said:

Tanya 93 said:

How cute!
Tanya 93
GeorgiAg said:

Tanya 93 said:

I was floored when my teenage son started saying that.

Then again, we binged Rick and Morty and now are watching Solar Opposites.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.