Why do people continue to live in Major Metro Cities?

7,930 Views | 115 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by YouBet
deddog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Mr. Lahey said:

I'm staying in houston and taking this city back god dammit
This.
I live in Austin. I refuse to cede more ground to the commies.

You're welcome
Jason_Roofer
I think the answer is simpler than all of this thread.

Moving out of the city requires a fair bit more self reliance than most people are comfortable with. You don't always have the infrastructure for high speed internet. I don't have high speed internet. If it needs more bandwidth than an email then it's going to take a while. Video conferencing is tough so I usually avoid that. Fortunately, my business requires very little bandwidth but most can't operate like that. When you get into suburban and rural areas, you run into issues. On top of that, other things like access to Walmart, nail salons, HEB, residential services…all limited.

Considering there are people on nextdoor looking for handymen to hang ceiling fans and install door knobs, the reason people don't move away from the city is because they can't.
BenFiasco14
AG
If I could move out of the city I would in a heart beat.

Works the big reason. But I can't afford to buy a bunch of rural land and build on it either. I can't afford to pay $750k for a few acres with a decrepit double wide on it.

Now if I do get farther enough out where I could afford to do that, it's conceivably too far to commute, even if just part of the week.
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
BCR
Only someone ignorant of small town living would say any convenience can be delivered anywhere in the world. I lived in small a small town most of my life. I've never been able to any food delivery. Not even a pizza delivered.
AndesAg92
AG
mulch said:

It's just amazing to me that in a world where you can work remotely from anywhere, people willfully live in tiny concrete boxes surrounded by thugs, homeless, criminals, trash piles and more concrete.

All so they can have the convenience of a restaurant or a bar in walking distance?

How is that possibly worth it when there are so many options?

Every convenience that a city offers can be delivered to your door anywhere in the world.

As Rogan said when he left California- it's just not worth it.

It's just amazing to me that people think everyone can just work remotely. The people that can work remotely are generally salaried, large corp, working for the man gigs.

I'm in real estate and we had very little disruption from actually going into the office and my HQ is based in NY.

I like living 15 minutes from my golf course. 5 min walk to our elem school. Access to 2 international airports. World renowned food. A strong community of like minded families and a strong less regulated business attidtude within my city.

I also appreciate going to the country on the weekends and enjoying time outside as a family.

It amazes me how people want to live in the rural areas with meth heads and white trash everywhere……
russ05
AG
Get Off My Lawn said:

Most people THINK they want proximity to the second option, but spend most of their evenings on a couch in front of the TV. After all, the guy in that first picture likely EARNED his drink with hard work, while the others merely went out.

That guy in the first pick is wearing khakis, loafers, and some sort of white belt on his own damn porch. That dude hasn't seen a day of hard work in his life.
cecil77
AG
If everyone left the cities and moved out here to the country, then we'd be too crowded.

Stay in the cities. Please.
AndesAg92
AG
russ05 said:

Get Off My Lawn said:

Most people THINK they want proximity to the second option, but spend most of their evenings on a couch in front of the TV. After all, the guy in that first picture likely EARNED his drink with hard work, while the others merely went out.

That guy in the first pick is wearing khakis, loafers, and some sort of white belt on his own damn porch. That dude hasn't seen a day of hard work in his life.

He's the city slicker enjoying a weekend away.
cecil77
AG
This thread in two minutes...
BurntOrangeIsBeautiful
BCR said:

Only someone ignorant of small town living would say any convenience can be delivered anywhere in the world. I lived in small a small town most of my life. I've never been able to any food delivery. Not even a pizza delivered.

Yes. There are many ways living in a small town it rural area sucks. Folks are about to break their arms patting themselves on the back for living in Brady it feels like. It's not only about pizza but variety, hospitals, pharmacies, entertainment, business opportunities, utilities, and so on. Humans have chosen to live near each other since we've been here. Those who have isolated themselves have always been seen as dangerous or strange. Hilarious thread.
YouBet
AG
EarlCampbellsThighs said:

BCR said:

Yes. There are many ways living in a small town it rural area sucks. Folks are about to break their arms patting themselves on the back for living in Brady it feels like. It's not only about pizza but variety, hospitals, pharmacies, entertainment, business opportunities, utilities, and so on. Humans have chosen to live near each other since we've been here. Those who have isolated themselves have always been seen as dangerous or strange. Hilarious thread.
Ridiculous escalation. Is that you Hillary? Damn those deplorable in flyover country.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.