Black to white incarceration rates across the U.S.

4,686 Views | 57 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Guardian Angel
Satellite of Love
How long do you want to ignore this user?
aggiehawg said:

Satellite of Love said:

I'm not sure if it was down to Milwaukee or total state but the statistic I saw was 1 in every 36 adult black male or person was in prison.
Milwaukee is something like 38% Black to 34% white, IIRC.
I'll have to go back and find the stat. It was an eyeopener when I read it.
Sully Dog
With all due respect Hawg I don't believe your map and think it has been adjusted for in some way.

Wyoming's black population is less than 1% of the state but I'm to believe that the jails are 4:1 black?

I think the Justice Department is "adjusting the data" and I would like to know how.
Deplorable Neanderthal Clinger
aggiehawg
AG
Satellite of Love said:

I watched the highlights earlier! I saw them live when it happened. There were a lot of "OH SHEET!" moments with the judge calling both councils into chambers. TBF it was mostly the defense causing all of the issues here. Can judges reprimand lawyers or put in complaints to state licensing boards? I feel bad for the citizens of Milwaukee because B'Ivory will be representing more of its citizens in court. woof!
Yes judges can make referrals to state bars for disciplinary reasons if so inclined. Usually they'll just admonish them severely and if it happens again, sanction them with monetary fines. If that doesn't work, then they can have them thrown in the pokey for contempt.

I am not sure if B'Ivory is even licensed in Wisconsin since his offices are in Houston. He may have been appearing pro hac vice? The preliminary hearings for this trial were not televised nor streamed AKAIK.
aggiehawg
AG
Sully Dog said:

With all due respect Hawg I don't believe your map and think it has been adjusted for in some way.

Wyoming's black population is less than 1% of the state but I'm to believe that the jails are 4:1 black?

I think the Justice Department is "adjusting the data" and I would like to know how.
Hard to trust just about everybody these days but I fail to see why DOJ would show that the Deep South had more equality than northern and midwest states when it comes to this metric.

I just found it interesting in light of the racial allegations thrown out there by the defense in the Edgecomb case. According to that map, they were telling the truth about Wisconsin being one of the worst states.
Satellite of Love
Rekieta brought up the preconceived notion that the deep south is where the racism lives and then brought the map into the discussion.

People seem to think that since the north fought the south over slavery that there is no racism in the north. Hate to break it to yall but just because there were abolitionist doesn't mean they liked people of different skin color. They only cared about people not being the property of another human being. There's an award winning photo from the 70s in Boston showing two white men trying to impale a black man on his way to work with an American flag. Again, remind me where racism supposedly lives in this country?
Fireman
AG
Looks like the term "hold my beer" leads to a lot of arrests in SEC country.
nortex97
AG
Like I needed another metric to confirm Keith Ellison as the worst state AG in the country.
Adam87inSA
AG
aggiehawg said:

deddog said:

aggiehawg said:

Saw this on a Rekieta feed from the other night. Relative to the Edgecomb trial, there was a contention that Wisconsin was the worst state for incarcerating more Blacks than whites.

Here's the map he put up.

Any thoughts?
Actual numbers would be helpful.

Even though the ratio looks bad, the actual numbers of folks in prison might be small.

Also, the percentage of blacks as part of the total population would be helpful.
If Wisconsin has a higher percentage of blacks in the general population, then again, this might make sense.

Here you go. Hover over the states for a lot of that information. Link

Bear in mind that these statistics are already adjusting for the relative sizes of "black" and "white" populations in each state.

So this is NOT "number of black prisoners divided by number of white prisoners".

This is, instead, if you don't mind me putting it in equation form since I'm a math guy…
Statistic for State
=
(# black prisoners in State / black population in State)
/
(# white prisoners in State / white population in State)

Correct me if I'm wrong in my interpretation. And if my interpretation is right, I am absolutely floored by this map.
aggiehawg
AG
Adam87inSA said:

aggiehawg said:

deddog said:

aggiehawg said:

Saw this on a Rekieta feed from the other night. Relative to the Edgecomb trial, there was a contention that Wisconsin was the worst state for incarcerating more Blacks than whites.

Any thoughts?
Actual numbers would be helpful.

Even though the ratio looks bad, the actual numbers of folks in prison might be small.

Also, the percentage of blacks as part of the total population would be helpful.
If Wisconsin has a higher percentage of blacks in the general population, then again, this might make sense.

Here you go. Hover over the states for a lot of that information. Link

Bear in mind that these statistics are already adjusting for the relative sizes of "black" and "white" populations in each state.

So this is NOT "number of black prisoners divided by number of white prisoners".

This is, instead, if you don't mind me putting it in equation form since I'm a math guy…
Statistic for State
=
(# black prisoners in State / black population in State)
/
(# white prisoners in State / white population in State)

Correct me if I'm wrong in my interpretation. And if my interpretation is right, I am absolutely floored by this map.
Can't vouch for what the map nor the interactive one from the sentencing project that I posted before, either. Not my research. Not my study. I just linked to it. If you have an issue, follow the links and ask them.
Adam87inSA
AG
Not trying at all to be critical.

I just saw some comments above that looked to be misinterpreting it as #black / #white in prison. And, frankly, it's easy to do given the labeling on the chart (not your fault).

Pretty fascinating map.
Cramp00
What is the ratio? Whites:Blacks in jail?
Or Whites/White Pop : Blacks:Black Pop

oops missed the post above. the viz is total trash wo this clarification.
aggiehawg
AG
Adam87inSA said:

I just saw some comments above that looked to be misinterpreting it as #black / #white in prison. And, frankly, it's easy to do given the labeling on the chart (not your fault).

Pretty fascinating map.
Thanks for not interpreting my post as other than for information and asking for feed back. I can't tell every time when something is BS or not. So I ask for "thoughts"?
cevans_40
AG
richardag said:

aggiehawg said:

Any thoughts?
I believe the Democratic run states have some splainin to do, Lucy.

Turns out, the South may not be as bad as they love to claim
Adam87inSA
AG
Cramp00 said:

What is the ratio? Whites:Blacks in jail?
Or Whites/White Pop : Blacks:Black Pop

oops missed the post above. the viz is total trash wo this clarification.
very much agree.

It's always a good idea when looking at any graph to understand how the things depicted are calculated (and/or what the data source is for the calculations)
Adam87inSA
AG
aggiehawg said:

Adam87inSA said:

Pretty fascinating map.
Thanks for not interpreting my post as other than for information and asking for feed back. I can't tell every time when something is BS or not. So I ask for "thoughts"?
Honestly I don't even have a good theory at this point.

Best I can come up with: It could be a function of jury composition in the different parts of the country? Perhaps southern juries are more likely to have heavier black representation and would be more lenient/less penalizing on black defendants?
aggiehawg
AG
Adam87inSA said:

aggiehawg said:

Adam87inSA said:

Pretty fascinating map.
Honestly I don't even have a good theory at this point.

Best I can come up with: It could be a function of jury composition in the different parts of the country? Perhaps southern juries are more likely to have heavier black representation and would be more lenient/less penalizing on black defendants?
I have no idea, frankly.

But I will say I am surprised to the pushback on this post. Goes counter to the "accepted" narrative so it has to be "wrong."
Win At Life
AG
My Ex's family is from Wisconsin. I went with them on a vacation in upper Wisconsin once; out in the country in a rental cabin type place down a short gravel/dirt road. I came back from a short walk down by the lake to hear all the guys basically just RAN up the dirt road because someone said they saw a black man in a car drive down there and then turn around. That's the most mass-racist m'fing thing I've ever personally witnessed in my life.

[edit for bad spelling]
Fightin TX Aggie
AG
FWIW, I've always thought the north was more racist.
houag80
AG
Massachusetts, New Jersey and Rhode Island are the most racist states I have ever been to. Eye opening.
eric76
AG
Ciboag96 said:

Democrats are the true racists. Happy to help.
So the reason that there are so many Blacks in prison is because of racism?

All this time, I thought it was because of committing more crimes.
eric76
AG
milner79 said:

My first thought is, I would not have guessed there were seven blacks in Maine ...
I think that Maine has the lowest ratio of blacks to whites in the country.
Adam87inSA
AG
eric76 said:

milner79 said:

My first thought is, I would not have guessed there were seven blacks in Maine ...
I think that Maine has the lowest ratio of blacks to whites in the country.
That wouldn't surprise me.

But the statistic depicted in the map in independent of the ratio of blacks to whites.

It depicts incarceration rate of blacks / incarceration rate of whites.
Guardian Angel
AG
PA24 said:

I am for locking up criminals no matter the color. A lot of black on black crime, black on white crime, black on Asian crime. Anyone see a pattern or know why?

why BLM supporting #StopAsianHate makes me giggle
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.