Union Pacific Weighs Avoiding Los Angeles as Cargo Theft Rises

9,467 Views | 111 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TexAgGrad19
C@LAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
follow-up to thread over the weekend about rail package theft

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/newsletters/2022-01-17/supply-chain-latest-union-pacific-battles-rail-freight-theft-in-l-a

Union Pacific is considering changes to rail operations including avoiding Los Angeles County as a rise of cargo theft in the area hurts business.

It's not exactly clear how the Omaha, Nebraska-based company would carry out such a threat and use alternatives to the nation's largest gateway for imported goods. But what's obvious is the railroad's frustration with the lack of deterrents for committing crimes like trespassing and theft along the current route.

Widely tweeted footage by a CBS journalist last week showed the extent of the security breaches, with hundreds of opened packages looted from rail-borne shipping containers strewn around the tracks.

The problems have escalated for months as imports surge through the twin ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach, and freight sits idle for weeks before heading north or eastward on trucks and trains. Theft is adding to the multitude of logistical headaches that have slowed the movement of goods to American store shelves and factory warehouses to such a degree that the White House felt pressure to get involved.

"Customers like UPS and FedEx that utilize our essential rail service during peak holiday season are now seeking to divert rail business away to other areas in the hope of avoiding the organized and opportunistic criminal theft that has impacted their own business and customers," UP public affairs director Adrian Guerrero wrote in a Dec. 20 letter to the Los Angeles district attorney.

The letter added that "like our customers, UP is now contemplating serious changes to our operating plans to avoid Los Angeles County."
A spokeswoman said in an emailed statement on Sunday that the company is still considering such options.
C@LAg
F California
FJB
FJBadmin
FPB and his worthless chestfeeding self
azul_rain
Not my state. Not my problem
TxTarpon

Memo to Cali's: This is how you should do a train robbery.
Not that third world looting stuff
----------------------------------
Texans make the best songwriters because they are the best liars.-Rodney Crowell

We will never give up our guns Steve, we don't care if there is a mass shooting every day of the week.
-BarronVonAwesome

A man with experience is not at the mercy of another man with an opinion.
Rockdoc
AG
The dems want lawlessness. How anybody can support democrats is beyond comprehension.
4stringAg
AG
The far left of the Democrat party runs these ****hole cities and are purposely allowing this kind of thing, even encouraging it with lax law enforcement and penalties.

I would say that these people get what they vote for (which they do) but this impacts people nationwide as indicated by the article when commerce can't flow, prices rise, and you have shortages because you have a bunch of cockroaches pilfering at will and unchecked.
C@LAg
hedge said:

as with many things you post....

bull*****

items being stolen in and around the CA ports have supply chain and consumer impacts all over the nation.
TAMU1990
AG
If they just roll though LA at 60 mph there won't be a problem.
Rockdoc
AG
hedge said:

You never use the services of Amazon, FedEx, UPS? Ok.
Do you understand what makes goods more expensive nationwide? How old are you?
nortex97
AG
Laugh, but I hope this spurs a big shift to blimps for trans-pacific/oceanic cargo. Don't have to stop in California. A lot of competitive economics have been studied/discussed.
Squadron7
AG
TAMU1990 said:

Racist...because Disparate Impact, you see.

Why, that is just as evil as Walgreen's locking up stuff that gets shoplifted the most.
Ernest Tucker
AG
Warren Buffet got what he voted for
nortex97
AG
FWB.
Ag87H2O
AG

We used to know how to handle this crap.
PCC_80
AG
The Dems are trying to strangle the rest of the country of needed products coming through the Cali Ports. They are slow walking the unloading of ships and are now allowing and encouraging theft and looting of what is being unloaded. They are purposefully trying to collapse the countries economy.
CanyonAg77
AG
nortex97 said:

Laugh, but I hope this spurs a big shift to blimps for trans-pacific/oceanic cargo. Don't have to stop in California. A lot of competitive economics have been studied/discussed.

Oh, the humanity
Burdizzo
AG
Railroad police used to have the toughest reputations around. What happened?
CanyonAg77
AG
Theft from interstate commerce? Sounds like a job for the FBI

Of course they need to finish their garage noose investigation, recall their agent provocateurs from Trump rallies, and finish their investigations into how Palestinians taking over synagogues has nothing to do with Jews
aggiehawg
AG
Ernest Tucker said:

Warren Buffet got what he voted for
The one railroad he doesn't own is Union Pacific, last I checked.
richardag
nortex97 said:

Among the latter, under pretence of governing they have divided their nations into two classes, wolves and sheep.”
Thomas Jefferson, Letter to Edward Carrington, January 16, 1787
Who?mikejones!
Pinkertons still a thing?
Squadron7
AG
Agthatbuilds said:

Yes....they are. But they are called the FBI and they work for Biden.
Dawnguard
AG
Agthatbuilds said:

don't you remember that guy in denver who was "security" that shot the trump guy at the protest/counter protest?
YouBet
AG
nortex97 said:

There are really interesting concepts and working prototypes here.
smucket
AG
TAMU1990 said:

If you've ever seen an intermodal train rolling through Palm Springs from LA, they are screaming. Probably closer to 50mph than 60, but still incredibly fast. Your point is correct though, and I can't figure out why an intermodal train would stop just miles from the port to offload...the first/last 100 miles are meant for trucks. Especially within a city center when it's a unit train.
Smeghead4761
smucket said:

TAMU1990 said:

If you've ever seen an intermodal train rolling through Palm Springs from LA, they are screaming. Probably closer to 50mph than 60, but still incredibly fast. Your point is correct though, and I can't figure out why an intermodal train would stop just miles from the port to offload...the first/last 100 miles are meant for trucks. Especially within a city center when it's a unit train.
I think the problem area is an approach to a switching/sorting yard.

Now, one thing shippers could do is use 20' containers instead of 40' ones. The trains in the ****ter video looked they had a whole lot of 40' ones. Use, the 20' containers, and load them with the doors facing each other, so they can't be opened until the containers are removed from the cars.

I think a big part of what UP is complaining about is lack of cooperation from the LA county DA's office, and local LE. The LA county DA is one of the Soros-sponsored "Prosecuting criminals is RACISSSST!" types.
Ag CPA
AG
BNSF already has most of the intermodal traffic in Southern California, not sure how much of a threat this is.
AJ02
AG
Langenator said:

smucket said:

TAMU1990 said:

I think the problem area is an approach to a switching/sorting yard.

Now, one thing shippers could do is use 20' containers instead of 40' ones. The trains in the ****ter video looked they had a whole lot of 40' ones. Use, the 20' containers, and load them with the doors facing each other, so they can't be opened until the containers are removed from the cars.

I think a big part of what UP is complaining about is lack of cooperation from the LA county DA's office, and local LE. The LA county DA is one of the Soros-sponsored "Prosecuting criminals is RACISSSST!" types.

Except for the exorbitant cost of containers now. I'm maxing out a single 40' instead of two 20' because they're so expensive and if I miss that boat, it's another month delay.
Buying_time
AG
TAMU1990 said:

We need a release of Speed - the train game show version - the train cannot slow down below 50 and "contestants" see what they can remove. Keanu Reeves can be the host. Add in some booby traps and we are golden. Just like 1984, we are proving the movie Idiocracy was a glimpse into the future.
eric76
AG
TxTarpon said:

Memo to Cali's: This is how you should do a train robbery.
Not that third world looting stuff
I think that it used to be common for ranch cowboys to flag down the train to board without going to the train station.

There is a story about a rancher some years ago who had taken his cattle by train to someplace to sell (probably Chicago) and was returning home by train with the money.

Looking out the window, he saw two or three ranch cowboys flagging down the train. He immediately got up and went to the bathroom for a minute and then came back and sat down.

It turned out that they were train robbers, not ranch cowboys, and they went through the cars taking everyone's money. They took the few dollars that the rancher who had sold the cattle had on him.

After they left the train, the rancher went back to the bathroom and got his money out of the water tank where he had put it a few minutes earlier earlier.

When asked how he knew that they were train robbers rather than ranch cowboys, he pointed out that the brands on their horses didn't match. If they were actually ranch cowboys, the brands would have been the same on all the horses.
UTExan
nortex97 said:

Funny you should mention that:

“If you’re going to have crime it should at least be organized crime”
-Havelock Vetinari
aggiehawg
AG
troy_y said:

TAMU1990 said:

We need a release of Speed - the train game show version - the train cannot slow down below 50 and "contestants" see what they can remove. Keanu Reeves can be the host. Add in some booby traps and we are golden. The is approaching Idioacrcy levels
Is it bad that I laughed at that?
gkaggie08
AG
Call up the Pinkertons
nortex97
AG
I know I am begging for mockery here but there are concepts out there for shipping stuff, particularly stuff like Amazon ships (lighter things) using airships and the Gulf Stream etc. at a similar/lower cost that way. I am all in favor of whatever makes my family/Texas in general less dependent on anything from California.
B-1 83
AG
hedge said:

Until your package, you've waited 3 months for, gets stolen.
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.