UK Considers banning private car ownership

4,688 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TxTarpon
nortex97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
No, I don't think this will happen this year or next, but this is the next step the left is going to demand (conveniently, most in the UK are already disarmed). Note; this is not just about petrol/diesel cars/trucks. Too many people are just hopping in their 1.0L cars and heading down the road for the wrong reasons, ruining the planet in the process.

"Oh, you failed to hit our clean energy targets, well, we just might have to take away more rights, like your own ability to travel. This will also help us manage our permanent Covid/pandemic measures."

TAMU1990
AG
It's a simple as forcing electric cars on everyone and turning off the charging stations (or turning off the electricity to your house).
Marcus Brutus
You know who WILL own cars after they are banned?

The oligarchs and the state. Because they need cars to get around to make the best decisions for the serfs.

Its like what we have now with these worthless elites flying around to conferences on climate change policy.
Ellis Wyatt
CCP Joe Veggie said:

The oligarchs and the state. Because they need cars to get around to make the best decisions for the serfs.

Its like what we have now with these worthless elites flying around to conferences on climate change policy.
Members of The Party are always more equal than others.
sleepybeagle
AG
CCP Joe Veggie said:

Shut up and do as you're told you stupid surf!
Maroon Dawn
AG
Can't have you able to just go anywhere you want any time you want

No your only option will be "free" Prole movers like government run buses and trains that "only" require you to scan your mandatory QR passport to use. Next will be single family homes. Terrible for the environment! You must live in your tiny government owned apartment in a Dem controlled city.
Owlagdad
Wont be hard here-- lots of 16-18 year old slugs dont even care about getting their license. I knew one parent who MADE their kid go get his.
C@LAg
with no supply of new cars ad prices increasing into the 60s, 70s and 80s, most won't be able to afford a car/.
rangerdanger
AG
peacedude
AG
sleepybeagle said:

CCP Joe Veggie said:

Shut up and do as you're told you stupid surf!
Sully Dog
Deplorable Neanderthal Clinger
Sully Dog
CCP Joe Veggie said:

Enjoy your social credit score or walking
Moe Jzyslak
AG
Everyone needs to drive a Reliant Regal. Like the one Mr. Bean always runs off the road.
BlueSmoke
How about this....

Shooter McGavin
AG
C@LAg said:

with no supply of new cars ad prices increasing into the 60s, 70s and 80s, most won't be able to afford a car/.
plenty of low priced cars available
YouBet
AG
Not surprising. Part of the Great Reset. You won't need a car anyway because they are going to force people to live in boxes in dense urban environments. You will take public transportation everywhere.

At some point, we will just do Logan's Run and kill people when they hit 35.

And as others have stated, owning a car is going to be unaffordable anyway and the younger generations don't care about driving. If they don't have a car, that's fine with them. Mommy can take them everywhere until such time they will take public transportation or Uber/Lyft.

Guy I bought my last two cars from told me that 80% of his transactions were leases. And that was 5 years ago.
peacedude
AG
Come on, Brits, you're better than that.

Be more like you were ~10 years ago.

Volume up:

annie88
AG
Owlagdad said:

Wont be hard here-- lots of 16-18 year old slugs dont even care about getting their license. I knew one parent who MADE their kid go get his.

I have noticed that in the last few years as well. I think it is so freaking bizarre. I couldn't wait to get mine at the stroke of my 16th birthday. Thankfully mine was during the week if it had fallen on a Sunday I think it would've driven me nuts.

I just can't figure it out. Are the parents not encouraging it? Are the kids seriously too scared to drive? What is driving this?
Currently a happy listless vessel and deplorable. #FDEMS TRUMP 2024.
Fight Fight Fight.
annie88
AG
Roads aren't at the tipping point. They just want another excuse to control peoples lives.
Fight Fight Fight.
YouBet
AG
annie88 said:

Owlagdad said:

I have noticed that in the last few years as well. I think it is so freaking bizarre. I couldn't wait to get mine at the stroke of my 16th birthday. Thankfully mine was during the week if it had fallen on a Sunday I think it would've driven me nuts.

I just can't figure it out. Are the parents not encouraging it? Are the kids seriously too scared to drive? What is driving this?
Kids these days live their lives online and virtually. Driving and being out and about takes away from their virtual life.

This is also why Zuckerberg and others are going all-in on the Metaverse. The generations behind us will only be doing things in the real world at the bare minimum to support their virtual life.

I posted a link on the RE board about online RE being the future and practically got laughed off the board because everyone thought it was idiocy. Clear indication that most of those folks are around my age because that's the future whether we agree with it or not.

Discounting the metaverse is equal to discounting the internet when it first came out.
Tex117
AG
I was there day freakin 1 for my license.

Today's winner for the General Board Burrito Lottery is:

Tex117
annie88
AG
That's really sad and messed up. People already bad enough about being at an event like a football game or a concert and watching it through their phones or recording the whole thing.

Now I'm not saying I don't take some short pictures/video when I'm at football games and such but it's like people just can't enjoy it anymore they have to record either themselves enjoying it, being there for watching it through the camera.
Fight Fight Fight.
KRamp90
AG
Got mine on my birthday!
MouthBQ98
AG
YouBet said:

annie88 said:

Owlagdad said:

Kids these days live their lives online and virtually. Driving and being out and about takes away from their virtual life.

This is also why Zuckerberg and others are going all-in on the Metaverse. The generations behind us will only be doing things in the real world at the bare minimum to support their virtual life.

I posted a link on the RE board about online RE being the future and practically got laughed off the board because everyone thought it was idiocy. Clear indication that most of those folks are around my age because that's the future whether we agree with it or not.

Discounting the metaverse is equal to discounting the internet when it first came out.

Like trained rats getting their pellets in reward for the correct behavior.
UTExan
CCP Joe Veggie said:

Please stop calling the elites "oligarchs". Go the North Korean route and demand they be referred to as the Highest Dignities.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
YouBet
AG
annie88 said:

That's really sad and messed up. People already bad enough about being at an event like a football game or a concert and watching it through their phones or recording the whole thing.

Now I'm not saying I don't take some short pictures/video when I'm at football games and such but it's like people just can't enjoy it anymore they have to record either themselves enjoying it, being there for watching it through the camera.
Yep. I'm so opposite of current day standards here I'm an outlier.

When my wife and I are gone, there will be almost zero evidence we existed from a photo/video standpoint. That isn't necessarily a great thing; we just don't take many photos and videos of ourselves. And I record nothing when at an event. I don't understand that. People need to live in the moment and quit trying to preserve concert video that you will never look at it again.

All you end up doing is saving it and ultimately having to pay money to store it. So pointless.
TxTarpon
Just ride motorcycles.

The limey's make a good one.

They are trying to bring these brands back from the dead.

----------------------------------
Texans make the best songwriters because they are the best liars.-Rodney Crowell

We will never give up our guns Steve, we don't care if there is a mass shooting every day of the week.
-BarronVonAwesome

A man with experience is not at the mercy of another man with an opinion.
TxTarpon
That evil monster needs a little "attention".
----------------------------------
Texans make the best songwriters because they are the best liars.-Rodney Crowell

We will never give up our guns Steve, we don't care if there is a mass shooting every day of the week.
-BarronVonAwesome

A man with experience is not at the mercy of another man with an opinion.
Tailgate88
AG
annie88 said:

Owlagdad said:

Go watch "Ready Player One". It's coming.
YouBet
AG
Tailgate88 said:

annie88 said:

Owlagdad said:

Go watch "Ready Player One". It's coming.

Yep, the playbook is there.

For anyone that wants to see the future just go read some science fiction. Much of it comes to fruition.
nortex97
AG
annie88 said:

Roads aren't at the tipping point. They just want another excuse to control peoples lives.
No argument from me. And YouBet, I don't think it's fair to generalize kids like that. There are certainly a lot of snowflakes these days (and a reflection of more one child households and of course parents in general), but I know my son absolutely loves having his own car/wants to spend more money on one when he graduates (trying to dissuade from this).

Kids are a reflection of the family/society they grow up in, imho.
GCRanger
AG
Clarkson, May, and Hammond are not happy about this at all.
Sully Dog
My next bike:

&f=1&nofb=1
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
medwriter
CCP Joe Veggie said:

We're returning to the days of feudalism. Are you a Vassal, Lord, or Fief?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.