Wokeness goes to Medical School

7,845 Views | 62 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by whytho987654
Keegan99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

In the future, you may not want a doctor who didn't complete their training prior to 2020. You also, regardless of diplomas, may need to inquire about scores on the SAT, MCAT, etc.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
First, check your privilege. And once that is done, do no harm if you're competent.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
If the concept of race has no genetic or scientific basis, then why isn't a meritocracy the best system?

I actually agree with that concept btw. Your race is largely determined by the social norms of the time. White people has become an all encompassing term for several different races of people that would have nothing to do with each other as short as 100 years ago. The biggest thing in regards to countries having people that perform more effectively in one thing vs another is cultural influence, nutrition standards, and access to education.
AgResearch
AG
Quote:

If the concept of race has no genetic or scientific basis

Sickle cell anemia holding on line 1...
Womackster
AG
About time! We need way more diversity in medicine. Way too much over-representation of Indian doctors.
Bird Poo
AG
I'm taking defensive driving, and there are some CRT elements in the training. The law is not blind anymore, and neither is medicine. Clown world.
Boo Weekley
AgResearch said:

Quote:

If the concept of race has no genetic or scientific basis

Sickle cell anemia holding on line 1...
Certain races also process/metabolize certain drugs differently and are more prone to becoming dependent on certain substances than other groups. Wife learned this at UT Pharmacy School. For instance, black people tend to get a more rewarding response from opiates than other groups. I think it has to do with how their enzymes break drugs down?
Whirligigs
I'm seeing lots of dangerous, white supremacy, racist talk on this thread. Folks are going to be reported to the Ministry of Truth for re-education requirements.
Boo Weekley
Womackster said:

About time! We need way more diversity in medicine. Way too much over-representation of Indian doctors.
I try my best to find doctors me and my family will be able to relate to. If I see an Indian or Chinese name, they are almost always going to immediately get crossed off the list. Had several experiences where I just didn't even feel like there was a doctor/patient relationship or connection. Americanized doctors only. I am sure there are some exceptions, but I have had two situations where it was like dealing with robots, and the doctors were completely incapable of thinking outside of the box in any way. The type that were just probably great at memorizing things.
Marcus Brutus
If you read the Boston Review article, it essentially says that colorblind laws and solutions do not work. Thus, the evidence is clear i.e. the outcome is not what we wanted. Meritocracy is a colorblind solution that does not work. Thus, we must enforce color-aware laws and solutions, ie racism, to benefit POCs.

For those who have children who are white, your kids are screwed! This nation is completely screwed up now.
fightingfarmer09

https://www.aei.org/carpe-diem/new-chart-illustrates-graphically-racial-preferences-for-blacks-and-hispanics-being-admitted-to-us-medical-schools/
Boo Weekley
CCP Joe Veggie said:

If you read the Boston Review article, it essentially says that colorblind laws and solutions do not work. Thus, the evidence is clear i.e. the outcome is not what we wanted. Meritocracy is a colorblind solution that does not work. Thus, we must enforce color-aware laws and solutions, ie racism, to benefit POCs.

For those who have children who are white, your kids are screwed! This nation is completely screwed up now.

Half white/half Asian. So I have zero doubt she will be considered fully white for all intents and purposes. If she was half black, she'd be considered fully black and eligible for all of he privilege, benefits and favoritism that comes with it.

Liberals are so stupid and everything they touch turns to sh**. They will almost certainly ruin this once great country.
Ags4DaWin
Call me a racist, but I am gonna want a white male or asian doctor/surgeon performing my surgeries now.

They have made it clear they are using merit to pass and acredit alot of med school applicants. This only makes it public.

Used to be- if u saw a black female doctor who was older yiu knew she had talent and intelligence and passion because she got out through some **** to attain her degree, sometimes moreso than ur average joe.

Now its reversed. a white dude or asian who gets through med school had to fight the system andracism and be at the top to get in and through.

And as opposed to how whitey used to be treated versus blacks- whites back then were never nursed through the curriculum the way minorities are now.

It used to be, black, white, asian, whatever if u got through you knew the curriculum and had the skills u needed.

Now, the minimum standard has been dropped for minorities.
MouthBQ98
AG
This racist bulls hit needs to be fought aggressively wherever it appears. It has no scientific foundation and is is purely a political philosophical phenomenon intruding into academic pursuits. It is extremely divisive and damaging to social cohesion, purposefully.
Boo Weekley
fightingfarmer09 said:

https://www.aei.org/carpe-diem/new-chart-illustrates-graphically-racial-preferences-for-blacks-and-hispanics-being-admitted-to-us-medical-schools/

Yikes. I can't think of another profession where it is more vital to stick to just taking the best and brightest, regardless of skin tone. That is kind of scary.
Marcus Brutus
Ags4DaWin said:

Now, the minimum standard has been dropped for minorities.

Many pre-tests at colleges are being phased out too, like the MCAT. I'll let you guess why.

This is an absolute recipe for disaster.
BAP Enthusiast
Keegan99 said:

In the future, you may not want a doctor who didn't complete their training prior to 2020. You also, regardless of diplomas, may need to inquire about scores on the SAT, MCAT, etc.

In the future I will only go to white, Jewish, or asian doctors who graduated from American universities. You could not pay me money to ever go to anyone else.
CDUB98
AG
fightingfarmer09 said:

Holy crap!!

That is both stunning and frightening.
BIMS O1
AG
This has been going on since at least the early 2000's. They were even offering a pathway to do the standard first 2 years of didactic curriculum over three years for "slower students". I'll give you a guess which bars in the above graph took up the majority of those spots.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
swampstander
AG
PearlJammin said:

I'm taking defensive driving, and there are some CRT elements in the training.
Please elaborate. I'm always up for a good chuckle.
Romello
Leftist want the biggest wake of destruction left behind their pursuits of complete power over everyone.
TAMU1990
AG
My son is trying to get in. 1 interview last year; no interviews so far this year. Got an 80% on the MCAT, good grades, had a job in college, was in the Corps, Traditions Council, etc. He's the wrong race and sex.
YouBet
AG
Boo Weekley said:

Womackster said:

I try my best to find doctors me and my family will be able to relate to. If I see an Indian or Chinese name, they are almost always going to immediately get crossed off the list. Had several experiences where I just didn't even feel like there was a doctor/patient relationship or connection. Americanized doctors only. I am sure there are some exceptions, but I have had two situations where it was like dealing with robots, and the doctors were completely incapable of thinking outside of the box in any way. The type that were just probably great at memorizing things.
I just fired my dentists who were Indian and have found someone I can relate to. My long-time female dentist retired and sold her practice to a group of Indians who converted it to a Smiles chain. It's not so much that they are Indian as it is they apparently don't like to actually be there when I have an appointment so you can't related to someone who doesn't show up to work.

I went three times and two of the times I went the dentists were not even at work that day and I only saw the hygienist.

Really bizarre.
Marcus Brutus
TAMU1990 said:

My son is trying to get in. 1 interview last year; no interviews so far this year. Got an 80% on the MCAT, good grades, had a job in college, was in the Corps, Traditions Council, etc. He's the wrong race and sex.

How about another country? It sucks I know.
Keegan99
AG
TAMU1990 said:

There are medical schools in the Caribbean that may be worth a look.
Marcus Brutus
Keegan99 said:

TAMU1990 said:

There are medical schools in the Caribbean that may be worth a look.

I have a friend who went to school in Mexico, way back in the day. He's done very well for himself.
aTmAg
AG
fightingfarmer09 said:

I wonder if libs are going out of their way to get treated by black surgeons for the sake of wokeness despite these sort of stats.
PascalsWager
AG
Boo Weekley said:

Womackster said:

Its unfair based on the name itself. Indian doctors who grew up in and went to medical school IN India, I think you're correct about. Its a different pedogeological style. Look for the accent rather than the name.

Indian kids who were born in the US and did all their schooling here, should be no different from any other doctor.
Eso si, Que es
YouBet said:

Boo Weekley said:

Womackster said:

I just fired my dentists who were Indian and have found someone I can relate to. My long-time female dentist retired and sold her practice to a group of Indians who converted it to a Smiles chain. It's not so much that they are Indian as it is they apparently don't like to actually be there when I have an appointment so you can't related to someone who doesn't show up to work.

I went three times and two of the times I went the dentists were not even at work that day and I only saw the hygienist.

Really bizarre.
I had an issue with an Indian dentist being extremely cheap and unethical in benefits submission, and I reported her to my insurance.

On the other hand, after 4 different general practitioners, I finally found a black female who has been outstanding.
Natural antibodies are best antibodies!
Keegan99
AG
Boo Weekley said:

Womackster said:

One of the sharpest guys I knew in HS - a big rival in academic contests - is Asian and was valedictorian at a FBISD school. He went to Rice, then Baylor Med, and is the one of the bigger Astros and Texans fans I know. Practices in Houston and has lived in the city his entire life.

Guy is as American as you or me.
CDUB98
AG
PascalsWager said:

Boo Weekley said:

Womackster said:

Its unfair based on the name itself. Indian doctors who grew up in and went to medical school IN India, I think you're correct about. Its a different pedogeological style. Look for the accent rather than the name.

Indian kids who were born in the US and did all their schooling here, should be no different from any other doctor.

I've been using a Indian (dot) heritage GP since I hit Houston many moons ago. Zero accent, so I am guessing he is either a U.S. citizen, or came when he was young.

He does see too many patients, like many docs, so there isn't a whole lot of banter, but he's done his job satisfactorily over the years.

Now, his administrative staff has sucked balls from day one. Amazing that no matter how many people come and go through that office, they still can't get anything coordinated properly.
Boo Weekley
PascalsWager said:

Boo Weekley said:

Womackster said:

I agree to a large extent, but often times, with asians/indians, they aren't able to shed the old cultural influences within one generation.

Try selling a home or car or anything of value to an Indian couple (the parents in the above hypothetical case). They are ruthless. Even if they are worth $10+ Million, they will dress poor, lie to your face, treat you like crap, whatever it takes to get the deal and save a few hundred bucks on an $80-100k car, or a few thousand on an $800k-$1MM home, and then celebrate in your face as you get little to no commission...after they take up hours or even days of your time, when you could have been working with a non-Indian couple that wouldn't treat you like sh** and act like they were royalty.

I have family members/friends in both lines of work and they will be very careful in deciding if they will deal with an Indian couple. It has to be a cultural thing. I bet they are horrendous tippers too.

Usually, the first generation Americanized offspring tend to be better, but not always. I have a friend who will not do business with any Indian people who are from there. He is careful in dealing with first gen as well.
Boo Weekley
Keegan99 said:

Boo Weekley said:

Womackster said:

One of the sharpest guys I knew in HS - a big rival in academic contests - is Asian and was valedictorian at a FBISD school. He went to Rice, then Baylor Med, and is the one of the bigger Astros and Texans fans I know. Practices in Houston and has lived in the city his entire life.

Guy is as American as you or me.
My wife is Asian (Korean) and American/conservative AF as well. Her parents actually assimilated very well after coming here in the late 70's. Didn't even teach their kids Korean because they were focused on learning English to the fullest extent as quickly as possible. I feel like these types of cases are not the norm for Indian or Chinese people though.

There are always exceptions, but I feel like me and my family have had a disproportionate amt of bad experiences with Indians and Chinese for some reason. And too many just don't tend to be very pleasant to be around.
UTExan
BIMS O1 said:

This has been going on since at least the early 2000's. They were even offering a pathway to do the standard first 2 years of didactic curriculum over three years for "slower students". I'll give you a guess which bars in the above graph took up the majority of those spots.

How about that "Defund Hospitals" movement?
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
cbaker20
Agree with previous poster that stated this has been going on for quite a while. I graduated in 2010 and we had a contingent of "special track" students from a local HBCU that had different entry requirements from the rest of us. Lower GPA and mcat threshold. About half failed out within the first 2 years.

Education in medicine is very student dependent. I actively sought out procedures and did extra work for my upper levels so they'd throw me some opportunities. Some med students just coast through without really internalizing that one day they're going to have to actually do it themselves. You probably don't want those students to be your doctor.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.