Wokeness goes to Medical School

7,838 Views | 62 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by whytho987654
FTAggies
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Your son in Texas? Either way tell him to look into the masters program at UNT HSC in Fort Worth, 80% matriculate into professional school. Had a friend of mine known about it he'd probably be a dentist today.
Gig'em
KidDoc
AG
What is really sad is when the students that slipped in hit an academic wall after year two and USMLE step 1. Now they are two years older, deeper in debt, and have no marketable skills. Lowering the bar for medical school acceptance is not helping anyone and is harmful to those students.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
agdoc2001
AG
TAMU1990 said:

My son is trying to get in. 1 interview last year; no interviews so far this year. Got an 80% on the MCAT, good grades, had a job in college, was in the Corps, Traditions Council, etc. He's the wrong race and sex.
Agree with the above - look at the UNTHSC post-bacc program
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Sarge 91
AG
CCP Joe Veggie said:

Keegan99 said:

TAMU1990 said:

My son is trying to get in. 1 interview last year; no interviews so far this year. Got an 80% on the MCAT, good grades, had a job in college, was in the Corps, Traditions Council, etc. He's the wrong race and sex.

There are medical schools in the Caribbean that may be worth a look.

I have a friend who went to school in Mexico, way back in the day. He's done very well for himself.
I have one friend who got his MD in Mexico and is now an anesthesiologist, and another that went to Grenada and is now a cardiologist. Both doing very well here in the States.
Marcus Brutus
Sarge 91 said:

CCP Joe Veggie said:

Keegan99 said:

TAMU1990 said:

I have a friend who went to school in Mexico, way back in the day. He's done very well for himself.
I have one friend who got his MD in Mexico and is now an anesthesiologist, and another that went to Grenada and is now a cardiologist. Both doing very well here in the States.

Good to hear. That may be the route white and Asian students have to go in the future, unfortunately.
BenFiasco14
AG
KidDoc said:

What is really sad is when the students that slipped in hit an academic wall after year two and USMLE step 1. Now they are two years older, deeper in debt, and have no marketable skills. Lowering the bar for medical school acceptance is not helping anyone and is harmful to those students.

And guess who understand that better than anyone else? The admissions offices at these medical schools. They see a dead man walking with dollars signs AND they can get some SJW clout.
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
One Louder
AG
KidDoc said:

The USMLE will be dumbed down soon in order to further the agenda.
MemphisAg1
AG
TAMU1990 said:

Similar for my son with dental school. 99% on DAT, master's degree from UTH health sciences and A&M undergrad. Applied only to TX dental schools the first year, nada. Expanded the net in second year and got a late interview and acceptance at out of state private school. Completing his first semester now... last guy in the door is first in his class so far.

Racism is alive and well in med/dental school admissions.
Sea Speed
AG
Boo Weekley said:

Womackster said:

About time! We need way more diversity in medicine. Way too much over-representation of Indian doctors.
I try my best to find doctors me and my family will be able to relate to. If I see an Indian or Chinese name, they are almost always going to immediately get crossed off the list. Had several experiences where I just didn't even feel like there was a doctor/patient relationship or connection. Americanized doctors only. I am sure there are some exceptions, but I have had two situations where it was like dealing with robots, and the doctors were completely incapable of thinking outside of the box in any way. The type that were just probably great at memorizing things.

Went to a pediatric dentist and it was a young Chinese dr and my daughter had a narrow palate and he was just like meh, well see what its like in a couple of years. Meaning play catch up later instead of just taking care of it now. Walked out of that place and will never go back. The admin staff at our next place was absolutely incompetent but the dentist was great and took care of my kid and has done wonders for her, so no regrets there.
Kool
AG
One Louder said:

KidDoc said:

You don't know how right you are. This is an article from my specialty's journal citing poorer USMLE scores for under represented minorities applying for ENT residencies. This is the second recent article on this topic. The author's suggestion is that, as Part 1 goes to Pass/Fail, residency directors should de-emphasize scores on Part 2 in order to increase gender and racial representation from URM candidates. I am glad that I am more towards the end of my career. I do not profess to know all of the solutions to how to bring up Black and Hispanic performance on standardized tests. I do, however, think that it is wrong to promote someone for training to be a surgeon over someone else because of pigmentation of their skin. It is a disservice to that person as well as to the patients he or she or shim/they will be treating once they have completed their residency.

Reliance on exam scores in residency selection restricts diversity in otolaryngology

"Older and URM applicants had lower USMLE Step 1 and 2 scores than their counterparts; women's Step 1 scores were slightly lower than men's. However, noting the lack of an established link between USMLE Step 1 score and resident performance, authors suggest that as Step 1 moves to pass/fail, otolaryngology residency selection committees take preventative measures to avert an unwarranted overemphasis of Step 2 scores."
administrative errors
Keegan99 said:

In the future, you may not want a doctor who didn't complete their training prior to 2020. You also, regardless of diplomas, may need to inquire about scores on the SAT, MCAT, etc.

https://saifedean.com/lessons/13-fiat-health/

THIS IS FIAT HEALTHCARE! This is no different than putting sugar lobbyists as defacto nutritionists, supported by Ivy League.

End fiat.

Bitcoin standard, change to it and end the insanity.
Coming soon:
AE Ventures - sooner than soon
*Psychedelic Retreats
*Physical and mental exercises
*Addiction services

Step 3: property found

Step 4: set date

Step 5: plan agenda for participants, food, logistics etc, integration and counseling post-experience

Step 6: long-term planning

I am amped.
OldArmyBrent
AG
Boo Weekley said:

CCP Joe Veggie said:

If you read the Boston Review article, it essentially says that colorblind laws and solutions do not work. Thus, the evidence is clear i.e. the outcome is not what we wanted. Meritocracy is a colorblind solution that does not work. Thus, we must enforce color-aware laws and solutions, ie racism, to benefit POCs.

For those who have children who are white, your kids are screwed! This nation is completely screwed up now.

Half white/half Asian. So I have zero doubt she will be considered fully white for all intents and purposes. If she was half black, she'd be considered fully black and eligible for all of he privilege, benefits and favoritism that comes with it.

Liberals are so stupid and everything they touch turns to sh**. They will almost certainly ruin this once great country.

She got big cans? /GB
Keegan99
AG
TAMU1990
AG
FTAggies said:

Your son in Texas? Either way tell him to look into the masters program at UNT HSC in Fort Worth, 80% matriculate into professional school. Had a friend of mine known about it he'd probably be a dentist today.
We are and he is considering this.
TxAgswin
AG
Keegan99 said:

In the future, you may not want a doctor who didn't complete their training prior to 2020. You also, regardless of diplomas, may need to inquire about scores on the SAT, MCAT, etc.
So, you posted a screenshot of a Tweet of somebody else's assessment of a book you have not read?
"A house divided cannot stand"

Abraham Lincoln
Keegan99
AG
I've read enough. Thanks for the concern.
TxAgswin
AG
Keegan99 said:

I've read enough. Thanks for the concern.
Touche my friend.
"A house divided cannot stand"

Abraham Lincoln
CanyonAg77
AG
RBoo Weekley said:

fightingfarmer09 said:

https://www.aei.org/carpe-diem/new-chart-illustrates-graphically-racial-preferences-for-blacks-and-hispanics-being-admitted-to-us-medical-schools/
Yikes. I can't think of another profession where it is more vital to stick to just taking the best and brightest, regardless of skin tone. That is kind of scary.

Not a meritocracy, heavily influenced by race: Getting in to medical school

100% meritocracy, 100% racially color blimd: Getting in to the National Basketball Assasination, and playing a kids game

Clown world
SW AG80
AG
No. They are going out of their way to get US treated by black surgeons to prove THEIR OWN wokeness. They will continue to be treated by their own doctors who are probably not even woke.
CSTXAg92
AG
Boo Weekley said:

fightingfarmer09 said:

https://www.aei.org/carpe-diem/new-chart-illustrates-graphically-racial-preferences-for-blacks-and-hispanics-being-admitted-to-us-medical-schools/

Yikes. I can't think of another profession where it is more vital to stick to just taking the best and brightest, regardless of skin tone. That is kind of scary.
Airline pilot would be up there for sure...
Infection_Ag11
AG
Boo Weekley said:

AgResearch said:

Quote:

If the concept of race has no genetic or scientific basis

Sickle cell anemia holding on line 1...
Certain races also process/metabolize certain drugs differently and are more prone to becoming dependent on certain substances than other groups. Wife learned this at UT Pharmacy School. For instance, black people tend to get a more rewarding response from opiates than other groups. I think it has to do with how their enzymes break drugs down?

The problem with the concept of race is that it is largely an arbitrary and unscientific grouping.

Genetically, ethnic Nigerians and Ethiopians are more different than ethnic Portuguese and Poles. Most people would not consider people from Portugal and Poland as the same "race", but everyone groups everyone with dark skin from sub-Saharan Africa under the same banner.

It's silly to not acknowledge medical differences between groups of humans, but it's also true to say that race is a largely arbitrary and unscientific means of grouping people. We should really be using ethnicity and national origin.
annie88
AG
The medical profession will increasingly kill more people do this woke bull*****

So will our military.

It's gonna get bad.
Currently a happy listless vessel and deplorable. #FJB TRUMP 2024.
Keegan99
AG
Boo Weekley
Infection_Ag11 said:

Boo Weekley said:

AgResearch said:

Quote:

If the concept of race has no genetic or scientific basis

Sickle cell anemia holding on line 1...
Certain races also process/metabolize certain drugs differently and are more prone to becoming dependent on certain substances than other groups. Wife learned this at UT Pharmacy School. For instance, black people tend to get a more rewarding response from opiates than other groups. I think it has to do with how their enzymes break drugs down?

The problem with the concept of race is that it is largely an arbitrary and unscientific grouping.

Genetically, ethnic Nigerians and Ethiopians are more different than ethnic Portuguese and Poles. Most people would not consider people from Portugal and Poland as the same "race", but everyone groups everyone with dark skin from sub-Saharan Africa under the same banner.

It's silly to not acknowledge medical differences between groups of humans, but it's also true to say that race is a largely arbitrary and unscientific means of grouping people. We should really be using ethnicity and national origin.
True, I am sure that is more how they taught it (ethnicity), I was just paraphrasing and using "race" loosely. It is just common sense that certain groups of people who evolved together over thousands of years in similar environments with similar outside influences would have certain biological similarities.
whytho987654
TAMU1990 said:

You need 90th percentile to be "safe" now. good luck to him
whytho987654
Keegan99 said:

TAMU1990 said:

Absolutely no...... They are predatory and insanely expensive. American MD will also keep your doors open to all fields as residency is becoming more competitive to obtain. A carribean MD is tough to do anything other than primary care these days.
whytho987654
cbaker20 said:

Agree with previous poster that stated this has been going on for quite a while. I graduated in 2010 and we had a contingent of "special track" students from a local HBCU that had different entry requirements from the rest of us. Lower GPA and mcat threshold. About half failed out within the first 2 years.

Education in medicine is very student dependent. I actively sought out procedures and did extra work for my upper levels so they'd throw me some opportunities. Some med students just coast through without really internalizing that one day they're going to have to actually do it themselves. You probably don't want those students to be your doctor.
Couldn't agree with this more. Have a lot of classmates who want to be ortho surgeons etc, but spend their week nights watching tv and having fun, while they coast by in the bottom half of the class. Theyre in for a rude awakening.
whytho987654
One Louder said:

KidDoc said:

It has already been moved to pass/fail for step 1
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.