***** OFFICIAL Russia v. Ukraine *****

1,065,930 Views | 10330 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TRM
lunchbox
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Dan Scott said:

I know we are getting a lot of news from twitter but I haven't seen twitter fact check anything yet. Have you guys? I was thinking Ukraine/Russia misinformation would be more dangerous than Covid.
At this point, I trust the world conflict-related accounts I have followed for years on Twitter more than MSM.

I do agree that you have to be wary with the accounts that are sprouting up here and there posting military vehicles and movements.
MarkTwain
Wrec86 Ag said:

Polaris75 said:

I don't see Putin stopping until he gets to Berlin.
Wait, this is someone's serious take?

Zero chance. Russia's military is significantly stronger than Ukraine..... but they would get absolutely annihilated by any unified military force. The ONLY way they stand a chance in any major conflict would be with all of China or the US might alongside them..... and that's not happening.
Armed Forces of Ukraine
Active personnel
215,000 (2022)

Reserve personnel
250,000 (2022)

Deployed personnel
40,114 (2021)

Russia's military vastly outguns that of Ukraine, with a budget of between $40bn to $65bn. Across land, sea and air, the country boasts around 900,000 active military personnel and two million reservists.

Ukraine is now effectively landlocked when Russia took control of their only existing port on the Black Sea, and Russia already has Crimea. Ukraine has no Airforce or Navy they are surrounded and way outnumbered by far.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience" - Mark Twain
jabberwalkie09
AG
Dan Scott said:

I know we are getting a lot of news from twitter but I haven't seen twitter fact check anything yet. Have you guys? I was thinking Ukraine/Russia misinformation would be more dangerous than Covid.

The open source community has been doing a pretty good job of verifying information and policing itself. Sure some of the information is 12-24 hours old when you see troop movements videos, but a lot of the information that we are seeing is coming from Telegram, Facebook, and videos from TikTok (keep posting Ivan). Telegram is where the information of the prerecorded evacuation messages for the breakaway regions came from.

That said, this morning there's been more conflicting reports of Russian troop movements near Mariupol. The community seems split on whether the videos have come from the Belgorod region, east near Mariupol, or are from 2015. While the OSINT community definitely will try to verify the authenticity, I think we're about to see the community begin to work against itself if Russia's disinformation campaign begins to kick in more so than it already is.

Yesterday and today many of the Twitter pages have been basically brigaded with flags/reporting leading to disabled accounts. Seems like the Russians/bot farms are starting to put in work to stop the dissemination of freely available information.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Charpie said:

Dan Scott said:

Can't you determine that on your own?
MarkTwain
Evidently Putin just took down the Ukraine Gov network via a massive cyber attack
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience" - Mark Twain
aggiehawg
AG
sicandtiredTXN said:

Evidently Putin just took down the Ukraine Gov network via a massive cyber attack
If that is true, I think Putin intends to take all of Ukraine right now.
No Spin Ag
sicandtiredTXN said:

I heard a few days ago that he was probably going to do that. Anyone know how long until they might get back online?
There are in fact two things, science and opinion; the former begets knowledge, the later ignorance. Hippocrates
LMCane
aggiedata said:

need to find the Twitter post from the Biden campaign in 2020

discussing how Putin was afraid of Sleepy Joe
jabberwalkie09
AG

I don't see Turkey doing this, but Ukraine's situation is obviously on the edge.
MarkTwain
aggiehawg said:

sicandtiredTXN said:

Fox News claiming verified by their local correspondent 5 mins ago
lunchbox
No Spin Ag said:

sicandtiredTXN said:

I heard a few days ago that he was probably going to do that. Anyone know how long until they might get back online?
It really depends on if it is DDOS-related or vulnerability-related. Microsoft and others have been trying to assist Ukraine with a vulnerability that is essentially ransonware with no way to get the data back.
aggiehawg
AG
Yes, I'm seeing that now.
aezmvp
sicandtiredTXN said:

aggiehawg said:

sicandtiredTXN said:

Fox News claiming verified by their local correspondent 5 mins ago
They're doing several things right now. 1st one is massive DDoS attacks. But they're also trying to get into email accounts and other things (banks and financial log ins) for key politicians and military folk. Not only is this distracting and time consuming if you get in it could lead to a lot of disinformation and chaos.
aggiehawg
AG
lunchbox said:

No Spin Ag said:

sicandtiredTXN said:

It really depends on if it is DDOS-related or vulnerability-related. Microsoft and others have been trying to assist Ukraine with a vulnerability that is essentially ransonware with no way to get the data back.
Have the Ukrainians called in Crowd Strike yet?
jabberwalkie09
AG
aggiehawg said:

Yes, I'm seeing that now.

Seen it confirmed on Netblocks as well.

LMCane
jabberwalkie09 said:

I don't see Turkey doing this, but Ukraine's situation is obviously on the edge.

wouldn't that be closing the barn door after the horses and sheep have run out?

the Russian navy is ALREADY in the Black Sea and near the Crimea
MarkTwain
Putin has pulled the pin
jabberwalkie09
AG
There are still two Slava class cruisers in the Mediterranean iirc. But yes, doing this wouldn't do anything to lessen the forces operating in the Black Sea.

If Turkey closed the straights, that would be seen as an act of aggression by Russia/Putin and no less than an act of war iirc. Turkey will not piss off Putin.
lunchbox
Just checked the Kyiv webcam I tend to keep up....this area is normally lit up like crazy....unless some of the power is out, it is probably for security reasons.

No Spin Ag
sicandtiredTXN said:

Putin has pulled the pin

Yeah, he's not showing any signs of being a "Peace keeper" right now.

Thoughts and prayers for the civilians whose lives are about to get turned upside down, assuming they don't get killed.
There are in fact two things, science and opinion; the former begets knowledge, the later ignorance. Hippocrates
jabberwalkie09
AG
I looked at some of the other live feeds in Kyiv and Odesa, it looks like they were lit normally
Who?mikejones!
Wouldn't be a really bad idea to destroy most of the infrastructure of the country your about to invade unless absolutely necessary?

I mean, you'll need that infrastructure to handle the existing population
jabberwalkie09
AG
Agthatbuilds said:

Wouldn't be a really bad idea to destroy most of the infrastructure of the country your about to invade unless absolutely necessary?

I mean, you'll need that infrastructure to handle the existing population
Infrastructure was targeted during the Gulf War and the 2003 invasion of Iraq iirc. You effect them civilian and military population alike.
TommyBrady
AG
https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2022-02-23/commodities-aren-t-being-weaponized-in-confrontation-over-ukraine-for-now

" In the 24 hours after Vladimir Putin signed a decree recognizing two breakaway Ukrainian territories, the European Union, the U.K., and the U.S. bought a combined 3.5 million barrels of Russian oil and refined products, worth more than $350 million at current prices. On top of that, the West probably bought another $250 million worth of Russian natural gas, plus tens of millions dollars of aluminum, coal, nickel, titanium, gold and other commodities. In total, the bill likely topped $700 million."

jabberwalkie09
AG
richardag
sicandtiredTXN said:

Notice how carefully Biden's handlers wrote his speech on his rollout of sanctions yesterday.

Quote:

"We are prepared to roll out sanctions far and above the sanctions we enforced on Russia in 2014"

In other words basically no sanctions hardly at all in 2014 in fact their so called in sanctions in 2014 caused Putin to go right ahead annex Crimea.

They were very careful not to say the greatest sanctions in history because what he's doing is not even close to what Trump did to Putin and that's the reason Putin never did anything to push the envelope with Trump. I don't know that Putin fears anybody but I know he damn sure respected Trump.
Well to be fair the wife of the mayor of Moscow did pay Hunter Biden $3million.

Wonder when it may dawn on the people that voted for President Biden that he doesn't give a **** about you and was/is and continues to be a gigantic corrupt failure as President.

There was an opinion piece in the Washington Post(erior) claiming it's a good thing was have President Biden instead of President Trump since President Biden's administration is tougher on Putin. The legacy media is a pile of contemptible pond scum.
Among the latter, under pretence of governing they have divided their nations into two classes, wolves and sheep.”
Thomas Jefferson, Letter to Edward Carrington, January 16, 1787
richardag
aezmvp said:

Prediction: Twitter won't do much to help
Probably will actively support any Russian bull*****
Among the latter, under pretence of governing they have divided their nations into two classes, wolves and sheep.”
Malibu
Holy post deletes. Staff, in this specific case, can you confirm if the deleted posts were, in your judgment, actual Russian propaganda on our sports forum?
richardag
TommyBrady said:

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2022-02-23/commodities-aren-t-being-weaponized-in-confrontation-over-ukraine-for-now

" In the 24 hours after Vladimir Putin signed a decree recognizing two breakaway Ukrainian territories, the European Union, the U.K., and the U.S. bought a combined 3.5 million barrels of Russian oil and refined products, worth more than $350 million at current prices. On top of that, the West probably bought another $250 million worth of Russian natural gas, plus tens of millions dollars of aluminum, coal, nickel, titanium, gold and other commodities. In total, the bill likely topped $700 million."
I guess the tough President Biden isn't so keen on sanctions after all.
AggieLit
Malibu2 said:

Holy post deletes. Staff, in this specific case, can you confirm if the deleted posts were, in your judgment, actual Russian propaganda on our sports forum?
Yeah, I didn't think I had said anything untoward.

jabberwalkie09
AG

mickeyrig06sq3
AG
Malibu2 said:

That was quick. We haven't had that much stupidity since DongZhu (I probably spelled that wrong)
mickeyrig06sq3
AG
AggieLit said:

Malibu2 said:

Yeah, I didn't think I had said anything untoward.

It was the teamerica guy. All his posts and responses to his posts are gone.
GAC06
AG
sicandtiredTXN said:

Wrec86 Ag said:

Polaris75 said:

I don't see Putin stopping until he gets to Berlin.
Wait, this is someone's serious take?

Zero chance. Russia's military is significantly stronger than Ukraine..... but they would get absolutely annihilated by any unified military force. The ONLY way they stand a chance in any major conflict would be with all of China or the US might alongside them..... and that's not happening.
Armed Forces of Ukraine
Active personnel
215,000 (2022)

Reserve personnel
250,000 (2022)

Deployed personnel
40,114 (2021)

Russia's military vastly outguns that of Ukraine, with a budget of between $40bn to $65bn. Across land, sea and air, the country boasts around 900,000 active military personnel and two million reservists.

Ukraine is now effectively landlocked when Russia took control of their only existing port on the Black Sea, and Russia already has Crimea. Ukraine has no Airforce or Navy they are surrounded and way outnumbered by far.

Go look at a map of Ukraine
Rossticus
First Page Last Page
Page 79 of 296

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.