***** OFFICIAL Russia v. Ukraine *****

1,066,006 Views | 10330 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TRM
W
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
ItsA&InotA&M said:

light_bulb said:

Long story short, is there any good reason I should care if Russia invades Ukraine?

At the surface, it has no impact on my life, so I will likely not care.

You should care because Americans will be sent to fight the Russian invasion. American dads, sons, and husbands will be killed.

If we going are going to fight a border invasion, send the troops the southern US border.
so we're thinking there's going to be American troops and tanks on the ground in Ukraine fighting the Russian army?

I don't see that. Putin would have to continue advancing in western Europe for direct ground engagement
Rossticus
Rossticus
Comments are an interesting read

K2-HMFIC
Jayhawk said:

K2-HMFIC said:

light_bulb said:

K2-HMFIC said:

light_bulb said:

K2-HMFIC said:

buzzardb267 said:

K2-HMFIC said:

buzzardb267 said:

I still think, whatever happens, the Biden admin has fanned the flames simply to keep it in all the news headlines. Not hearing near as much about inflation, Hunter, the border, spying on sitting POTUS, etc.

Right…sooo…did Biden conspire with Putin to put the Russian troops on the Ukrainian border in order to distract from Hunter?
Not what I said. However, "never let a good crisis go to waste".
K. So tell me...what should POTUS have done?

Let Ukraine handle its own issues of sovereignty.
K.

So you're saying the US shouldn't do anything for a democratic nation against an authoritarian one? No sending of arms, no economic sanctions?

Only when there is a good enough strategic interest to do so.

I don't know of anything that Ukraine brings to the table that would make us getting involved beneficial but can definitely be convinced.
K.

In your scenario of not doing anything w/Ukraine and letting the Russians roll them...how would China perceive that? Especially as it relates to Taiwan.

Also...how would our NATO Allies (Baltics, Poles, Nordics) perceive that as well?
Taiwan is not Ukraine. Ukraine was governed from Moscow for the entire duration of our republic's life until 1991, it is not worth risking nuclear war to defend.

With respect to Taiwan, firstly as a purely military problem there is no comparison to Ukraine in terms of the feasibility of an effective defense. Ukraine is surrounded on three sides by a land border with the aggressor, who happens to be the largest country on earth (Belarus is essentially a tributary state at this point).

So long as a centralized Russian state exists, it is a military inevitability that Ukraine is likely to be subjugated by that state for the exact same reason that the American union was able to subjugate the southern states. The geography and pure logistics overwhelmingly favor the larger power. And, just like in our civil war, the only thing that could conceivably tip that balance to equilibrium or in favor of the Ukrainians is an enormous foreign military effort, which means war with Russia.

In the real world, the plucky little guy doesn't always win. In fact, historically, he usually gets brutally snuffed out of existence and absorbed into the larger power. Wise and judicious statesmanship is knowing when to use the power available to you to put your hand on the scale after measuring the cost, it is not wise to exhaust yourself in wars with near peers because they are "authoritarian" or because your perceived good guys are "democratic.' That is hubristic and will ensure the decline you probably are trying to prevent.

That's cool and all…but how does China perceive the US not responding to a Ukraine invasion is the question you need to answer.

Not how you WISH it to be perceived.
Faustus
quote=Faustus]
ItsA&InotA&M said:

light_bulb said:

Long story short, is there any good reason I should care if Russia invades Ukraine?

At the surface, it has no impact on my life, so I will likely not care.

You should care because Americans will be sent to fight the Russian invasion. American dads, sons, and husbands will be killed.

If we going are going to fight a border invasion, send the troops the southern US border.

Not all troops, just the dads, sons, and husbands, which sounds like a lot, until you realize those terms could all apply to a single soldier in a fictional deployment.
black_ice
K
Rossticus
aggiehawg
AG
Jennifer Griffin. I no longer really trust her reporting.
Rossticus
Interesting data on Ukrainian sentiment. Willing to compromise on just about anything… apart from ceding any power or influence over Ukraine to Russia. It's unfortunate that Putin's goal is power and influence over Ukraine.

Rossticus
aggiehawg said:

Jennifer Griffin. I no longer really trust her reporting.

Was trying to just post the David Martin clip from FTN, not as a subtweet to Griffin, who was cited by the NewsLive site. Fixed.
Rossticus
Rossticus
Wow.

GAC06
AG
Damn Biden and his warmongering
Demosthenes81
AG
Rossticus said:

Technically leaving Belarus and entering Ukraine is "withdrawing".
Seven and three are ten, not only now, but forever. There has never been a time when seven and three were not ten, nor will there ever be a time when they are not ten. Therefore, I have said that the truth of number is incorruptible and common to all who think. — St. Augustine
Rossticus
Good post on Russian philosophy behind disinformation and narrative control. Read entire thread.

Was privileged to participate (sit in) on a call facilitated by this gentleman as part of a session with Ukrainian Deputy PM Stefanishyna and English speaking European reporters this past week. He's legit.

Rossticus
Irish 2.0
Hypothetical here:
If US and Europe were to sanction Russian owned entities and properties of oligarchs, do y'all think this would pause Putin? Knowing billions worth of real estate and equity is at stake for Putin 'backers' is at stake, would this stop?
Wheatables02
AG
People here keep saying we won't send troops.

We have Jets that got relocated to Poland earlier in the week. We have small team (SF) assets nearby.

If the US thinks this is going down and you don't think we're extracting American HVTs and others from Ukraine, you're living in another world.
Rossticus
Irish 2.0 said:

Hypothetical here:
If US and Europe were to sanction Russian owned entities and properties of oligarchs, do y'all think this would pause Putin? Knowing billions worth of real estate and equity is at stake for Putin 'backers' is at stake, would this stop?

That's one of the threatened sanctions we've laid out for him in addition to cutting off Russia from the rest of the world Economically. Other sanctions that would bring their tech/it development to a grinding halt, more or less.

During Munich Sec Con the EU President also stated unequivocally that they're committed to energy diversification and independence away from Russia.

Disclosed that US, Japan among others have committed to assisting fill the gap with alternative natural gas supplies moving forward until long term plans are put into action.

Basically, Russia cutting them off isn't going to impact their decision making in this. The US may profit while Russia takes a massive hit if Putin doesn't back off.
GAC06
AG
Americans were told to leave Ukraine a while back
Wheatables02
AG
GAC06 said:

Americans were told to leave Ukraine a while back

Doesn't mean they left. There are teams on standby to get people out if necessary.
Irish 2.0
My position on this has always been the Europe accounts for ~30% of the Russian GDP, not including losses of potential sanctions that could include repossessing oligarchs property is 100s of billions. Can Russia survive that?

Will the oligarchs allow Putin to take a portion of Ukrainian at the expense of that?
DripAG08
AG
My guess is this all ends in a big nothing burger.
Irish 2.0
Hell, the SWIFT sanction alone would halt them and their economy.
Rossticus
Irish 2.0 said:

My position on this has always been the Europe accounts for ~30% of the Russian GDP, not including losses of potential sanctions that could include repossessing oligarchs property is 100s of billions. Can Russia survive that?

Will the oligarchs allow Putin to take a portion of Ukrainian at the expense of that?

I think we'll know based on how the newly agreed upon round of talks with Putin pans out this week. This assumes that he follows through and participates without manufacturing a precipitating event before they've been completed.

Putin is old school. Suffering for mother Russia is duty. If Ukraine is the lynchpin for future goals then I don't think the immediate economic hit impacts his thought process as much as it would that of a western observer.

He has to feel that he's accomplishing some sort of strategic AND narrative victory here in order to withdraw. Otherwise, what's the point? Putin isn't nearly as conflict averse as Europe and the US.
light_bulb
AG
K2-HMFIC said:

light_bulb said:

K2-HMFIC said:

light_bulb said:

K2-HMFIC said:

light_bulb said:

K2-HMFIC said:

buzzardb267 said:

K2-HMFIC said:

buzzardb267 said:

I still think, whatever happens, the Biden admin has fanned the flames simply to keep it in all the news headlines. Not hearing near as much about inflation, Hunter, the border, spying on sitting POTUS, etc.

Right…sooo…did Biden conspire with Putin to put the Russian troops on the Ukrainian border in order to distract from Hunter?
Not what I said. However, "never let a good crisis go to waste".
K. So tell me...what should POTUS have done?

Let Ukraine handle its own issues of sovereignty.
K.

So you're saying the US shouldn't do anything for a democratic nation against an authoritarian one? No sending of arms, no economic sanctions?

Only when there is a good enough strategic interest to do so.

I don't know of anything that Ukraine brings to the table that would make us getting involved beneficial but can definitely be convinced.
K.

In your scenario of not doing anything w/Ukraine and letting the Russians roll them...how would China perceive that? Especially as it relates to Taiwan.

Also...how would our NATO Allies (Baltics, Poles, Nordics) perceive that as well?

So perception looks bad.

Ok, so sanctions and arm up Ukraine. What happens if Russia steam rolls them anyways after all that effort?

Isolate Russia, try to split their alliance with the PRC.

K.

So how do Taiwan and the Baltics feel about that, we let Russia steam roll the ever living hell out of Ukraine and the most Russia feels for doing so is sanctions and isolation. And it is arguable (if not certain) that Europe would have to pay a steep price for isolation of Russia given Europe's own self inflicted energy pitfalls. How long can Europe hold that line without capitulation?

Some trade off there. These threats of sanctions and isolation better work to prevent any attack at all from happening, otherwise this so called "perception battle" is lost.
Rossticus
Something else to keep in mind is that Russia has done very well economically in the recent past. They've amassed something on the order of $600-$700 billion reserve capital. They knew that sanctions would be a given in the event they pursue this course.

I believe that they initially determined they have the ability to weather the storm economically. That won't change unless what we've threatened is drastically beyond what they anticipated.
Rossticus

PA24
AG
WW3 is just around the corner. Better be ready as we will get sucked into it.
Rossticus
Hope not. Authoritarian aggression and attempted punitive control against/over other countries makes it difficult to avoid perpetually. Wish there was another way. Rod from God direct mail to Putin?
Psycho Bunny
It would be great, it Russia launched the attack right after Brandon's state of the union.
Irish 2.0
aggiesheriff04 said:

It would be great, it Russia launched the attack right after Brandon's state of the union.

No attack would be great and I continue to stand by my belief this was posturing from Putin to keep Ukraine out of NATO and get them to recognize Donbas as a Russian backed independent
Polaris75
I don't see Putin stopping until he gets to Berlin.
aezmvp
Irish 2.0 said:

aggiesheriff04 said:

No attack would be great and I continue to stand by my belief this was posturing from Putin to keep Ukraine out of NATO and get them to recognize Donbas as a Russian backed independent
You might be right Irish but I would be interested to know if you think Putin has a serious go option in front of him or if you think this is solely posturing.
Rossticus
Irish 2.0 said:

aggiesheriff04 said:

That's exactly what it was. Russia moved under the assumption of weak western powers and inevitable capitulation. He wasn't expecting unified rejection of his demands.

He's painted himself into a corner but withdrawing isn't an option because resolution without establishing a means for destabilization of the Ukrainian government to his benefit and eventual control is failure.

Im afraid that either Ukraine and the west appease Putin in a fashion that is conducive to progress toward eventual accomplishment of his goals or this game of chicken results in a collision.

The only good outcome is that Putin agrees to negotiate on commonly held security concerns and withdraws. What do you think the chances are of that? I'm calling slim to none because that's not what this is all about to Putin.

I don't think he could allow himself to take an L to the EU, UK, and US without going to war. He detests all of us and thinks we're weak and inferior. He might literally spontaneously combust or explode from his own rage.
First Page Last Page
Page 38 of 296

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.