****Kyle Rittenhouse Trial-Day Five****

45,987 Views | 571 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by richardag
aggiehawg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
LostTexasBoy said:

The Rekeita Law livestream/commentary feed is still on.
Thanks. They are having a blast.
MPD280
This prosecution team has done an awful job of witness preparation, which should have been their full time job for the last four weeks given how weak the actual evidence is.
The detective was so bad that I'm not sure it wasn't intentional and the DA just missed it.
aggiehawg
AG
Some comments:

The state's case is not resting, it's dead.

Pining for a fjord.
Johnny04
Why is this detective testifying about his conclusions he made from viewing the video ON A PHONE AT HOME OVER THE WEEKEND. What kind of bush league stuff is this? The video was on national news a year ago but they just got the original on Friday?
aggiehawg
AG
mkorzo said:

I've listened to or watched this entire trial, and I still am unable to tell you what the State's strongest evidence is. Either their witnesses are like the nervous rookie cop or annoying ass crime lab technician today who do nothing positive or negative to their case, and just waste everyone's time, or they're witnesses like GG, Balch, Dominick Black, or Richard McGinnis that clearly bolster the self-defense claim.

I don't even know why Rittenhouse would testify at this point. Seems like the State already proved his self-defense claim beyond reasonable doubt. Seems like a high risk, zero reward play at this point.

Frankly, were I a juror right now, I'd be pissed.
Agree. No need to put him on the stand. Could be very bad if they did after this.
BMX Bandit
Quote:

Pining for a fjord
aggiehawg
AG
Johnny04 said:

Why is this detective testifying about his conclusions he made from viewing the video ON A PHONE AT HOME OVER THE WEEKEND. What kind of bush league stuff is this? The video was on national news a year ago but they just got the original on Friday?
Not this one.
aggiehawg
AG
BMX Bandit said:

Quote:

Pining for a fjord

Love Monty Python references from lawyers.
Strongweasel97
AG
MPD280 said:

This prosecution team has done an awful job of witness preparation, which should have been their full time job for the last four weeks given how weak the actual evidence is.
The detective was so bad that I'm not sure it wasn't intentional and the DA just missed it.
First they need to prep their second chair on how to look poised when all you're doing is sitting at a table.

But seriously, ignore the detective, the real fail in prep was GG.

When he answered a question that was established as a lie in evidence, he'd turn maybe 45 degrees to the jury and answer. When he really wanted to emphasize a lie that was not established firmly in evidence, he'd lean his head close to the mic, turn squarely to the jury and emphatically answer.

You prep him to "slice the pie" and stay at an angle where he's speaking to both jury and attorney.
Gator92
AG
What happened to GG's gun? Did the Marine testify what he did w/ it?
aggiehawg
AG
Gator92 said:

Cop took it when they came in the BearCat to pick up GG as I recall.
TheHulkster
AG
I thought Balch testified that it was laying on the ground and he racked it back and ejected a round. Think it was Balch.
IndividualFreedom
When this thing is said and done, I wonder what the value of Rittenhouse's rifle will be?

That would be a fun list: Most valuable firearms in American history.

I'd imagine the pistol that killed Lincoln would rank up there. The rifle that killed barack's brother.
Gator92
AG
aggiehawg said:

Gator92 said:

Was it entered into evidence? Kinda like they didn't execute the warrant for GG's phone.
aggiehawg
AG
Gator92 said:

aggiehawg said:

Gator92 said:

Was it entered into evidence? Kinda like they didn't execute the warrant for GG's phone.
No.
pacecar02
I'm only sorry they let GG down from the stand

They could have crucified him all afternoon with all his testimony.
aggiehawg
AG
Someone brought up this old clip of Joe Jamail and a deposition. Watch it.

Gator92
AG
aggiehawg said:

Gator92 said:

aggiehawg said:

Gator92 said:

No.
Why didn't defense ask the detective about GG's gun? They asked about the phone warrant. One of the commenters on Rekeita responded to the question of malicious prosecution and mentioned the phone warrant. If I am the defense, I would try to bring disposition of GG's gun in.
aggiehawg
AG
"I'm cynical of the analytical skills of people who couldn't get out of jury duty."

These guys are still going.

ETA: they just stopped.
aggiehawg
AG
Gator92 said:

aggiehawg said:

Gator92 said:

aggiehawg said:

Gator92 said:

No.
Why didn't defense ask the detective about GG's gun? They asked about the phone warrant. One of the commenters on Rekeita responded to the question of malicious prosecution and mentioned the phone warrant. If I am the defense, I would try to bring disposition of GG's gun in.

Would be subject to objection on relevancy. Keep your powder dry but bring it up during closing, maybe?

W.A.G.
Strongweasel97
AG
aggiehawg said:

Oldie but goodie!

There's a more recent of two Dallas attorneys (or attorney/DA) coming to blows in court. It was even featured in one of those Reality TV shows that happened to have the cameras in court that day ("First 48" maybe?)
Gator92
AG
aggiehawg said:

Gator92 said:

aggiehawg said:

Gator92 said:

aggiehawg said:

Gator92 said:

No.

Would be subject to objection on relevancy. Keep your powder dry but bring it up during closing, maybe?

W.A.G.
Couldn't defense just asked detective simply if he knew where it was? Maybe you show him the video of gun in GG's hand and ask him if he's seen it and then ask where gun is?
12th Man
AG
aggiehawg said:

This is OMG-beautiful!
Not a Bot
AG
As I said on a thread about this trial last week, state's evidence isn't going to matter much. The only thing that will really matter is the emotional outlook of the jury. I have zero faith in people to look at facts and apply the law the way they are supposed to.

Most people in this country still think as soon as someone is arrested that they must be guilty of something, and this case is widely publicized with a lot of public pressure to convict.

ABATTBQ11
AG
George Zimmerman was acquitted. So was Darren Wilson.
Cromagnum
AG
So how bad is rioting gonna be when this kid is acquitted?
CyclingAg82
AG
12th Man said:

aggiehawg said:

This is OMG-beautiful!
I show this to my students every semester. It is hilarious.

"You have a case incipient verbal diarrhea."
torrid
AG
IndividualFreedom said:

When this thing is said and done, I wonder what the value of Rittenhouse's rifle will be?

I'd imagine the pistol that killed Lincoln would rank up there. The rifle that killed barack's brother.
Or an Italian bolt-action rifle.
aggiehawg
AG
Some people have brought up malicious prosecution of Kyle. Normally, I don't put much stock in that cause of action as it is very hard to prove (because incompetence is a good defense to it).

But let's go over the failings we have heard about so far in this trial.

1) Failure and refusal to execute valid search warrant for Grosskreutz's phone. Failure to record interviews with him whereas all other witnesses were recorded. Failure to keep pressing him to talk with them in the absence of a 5th amendment claim. Just because he had a lawyer doesn't mean he never has to talk, just means the lawyer has to be there when they do. No mention of the 5th. And then the prosecutor instruct the detectives not to execute the warrant, a legally valid warrant for the first time ever?

2) Failure and refusal to secure Huber's skateboard that would likely have either Kyle's blood or his DNA on it. The excuse about Huber's GF being suspected of having it but that a search warrant would have to be narrowly drawn as to location and she hadn't told them where it was, is complete BS. Search warrants for houses, offices, cars, storage units, gym locker at the gym are routinely simultaneously issued in homicide investigations. Also notice, there was zero mention that the police couldn't question her due to her invocation of the 5th to avoid answering their questions.

3) Failure to follow up on Ziminski's claim his gun was stolen. Cops have a picture of him holding a gun in his hand in the near proximity of where Rosenbaum was shot. But they never follow up on finding the gun? Don't ask him or his wife much about it?

4) Assigning newbie detectives to a double homicide case, just an hour or two after the shooting in a riot torn city. Such newbie detectives that they don't even know what stippling is and means in a homicide investigation.

5) Mysterious videos that are there and then not and then there again with a detective forming opinions based on what he saw on his "work phone" screen because he has an app wherein he supposedly can zoom in and out but the jury can never see it? Have to take his word for it? Really?

6) Failure to have the barrel of the rifle swabbed for DNA. The detective Antarian (or however it is spelled) was at the hospital that night. He talked with McGinnis, he knew McGinnis said Rosenbaum grabbed for Kyle's rifle, before he even went to Antioch to see Kyle, where Kyle was waiting after turning himself in. And well before Kyle's rifle went into evidence for testing. Order the barrel to be swabbed, too.

I'm sure I am missing a few so feel free to add some more that anyone has seen/heard.
gggmann
AG
torrid said:

IndividualFreedom said:

Or an Italian bolt-action rifle.

Or Gavrilo Princip's pistol.
aggiehawg
AG
CyclingAg82 said:

12th Man said:

aggiehawg said:

This is OMG-beautiful!
I show this to my students every semester. It is hilarious.

"You have a case incipient verbal diarrhea."
To be fair, most trial attorneys do but not limited to just them. Legal logorrhea.
sam callahan
Quote:

Depends how fast he gets his rifle back.
aggiehawg
AG
sam callahan said:

Quote:

Depends how fast he gets his rifle back.
Well played. It is sitting right there in the court room. He could walk out with it, theoretically.
The Fife
Cromagnum said:

Disco Inferno bad.
TheHulkster
AG
If incompetence is an adequate defense, then the morons in the DA's office have nothing to fear.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.