Retail Worker Shortage

6,408 Views | 78 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Owlagdad
azul_rain
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Does this shortage ever leave ? Just about every restaurant, sit down and fast food, Ive been to has experience low staff and longer wait times. Even chick fil a seems to be slower. I thought this was simply a temporary effect of the pandemic, seems like it's more than that ……
you may all go to hell and i will go to Texas
DrEvazanPhD
It's almost like it's intentional
azul_rain
Regardless most of these people can't afford to not be working, so how are they staying afloat ?
you may all go to hell and i will go to Texas
DrEvazanPhD
hedge said:

Regardless most of these people can't afford to not be working, so how are they staying afloat ?

Government bennies. Eviction moratoriums. Staying on parent's insurance until 26. It'll come crashing down, just a question of when
Mr. Lahey
AG
***** Texas still has free rent programs. Complete crap
Dan Scott
AG
More high school kids need to start working
lb3
AG
The robots will replace them soon enough.
Serious Lee
my chick fil a has been drive-thru only since spring 2020. i almost wish theyd go under at this point but i dont want all their traffic overflow ****ing up my wait time at raisin canes.
Tanya 93
Savings from stimulus checks
Jobs like instacart, door dash, uber, uber eats
Living with parents or several roommates

Businesses can reduce the number of items offered claiming staffing shortages, supply chain problems, and reducing waste (**** YOU TACO BELL)

Don't find it worth the wage to wear a mask over a chicken nugget fryer.

Drug dealing.
ntxVol
Fast food i can understand, those jobs don't pay enough but you would still think HS kids would be working those.

For full service restaurants, the tips should be enough for many low skilled people to consider. I don't understand why there are shortages there.

Even still, there are a lot of entry level jobs out there with decent pay, benefits, and upward mobility that it's mind boggling to me how these places are having a hard time finding people.

I just don't get it, I would be miserable if I weren't working.
unmade bed
Tanya 93 said:

Businesses can reduce the number of items offered claiming staffing shortages, supply chain problems, and reducing waste (**** YOU TACO BELL)

Drug dealing.

Onlyfans
AgResearch
AG
Monthly advances on child tax credits
Dan Scott
AG
I'm sure a lot of people got involved in the stock market in the last year too and said F it. If you didn't make money in the last year from the stock market then you are dumb
unmade bed
Dan Scott said:

I'm sure a lot of people got involved in the stock market in the last year too and said F it. If you didn't make money in the last year from the stock market then you are dumb

True. Lots of incels making money day trading GameStop, etc. lots of young ladies making money posting pictures of things In their buttholes. Our society is nearing peak awesomeness.
No Spin Ag
DrEvazanPhD said:

hedge said:

Government bennies. Eviction moratoriums. Staying on parent's insurance until 26. It'll come crashing down, just a question of when

I thought the eviction moratorium ended in Texas a couple of months ago, and a few months earlier Abbott signed something that said no more additional unemployment checks? I mean if both of those things have been done with, for months now, how are those people surviving? Or were they mostly second income individuals, or they live at home with mom and dad, so they just choose to just exist instead of making a living?
DannyDuberstein
AG
We paid a lot of people to stay home for too long. Some of them realized they'd rather stay home.
DrEvazanPhD
No Spin Ag said:

DrEvazanPhD said:

hedge said:

I thought the eviction moratorium ended in Texas a couple of months ago, and a few months earlier Abbott signed something that said no more additional unemployment checks? I mean if both of those things have been done with, for months now, how are those people surviving? Or were they mostly second income individuals, or they live at home with mom and dad, so they just choose to just exist instead of making a living?

How much extra would you have in savings if you didn't have to pay rent/mortgage?
Tanya 93
DrEvazanPhD said:

No Spin Ag said:

DrEvazanPhD said:

hedge said:

How much extra would you have in savings if you didn't have to pay rent/mortgage?

You think they saved that money?
No Spin Ag
Tanya 93 said:

DrEvazanPhD said:

No Spin Ag said:

DrEvazanPhD said:

hedge said:

You think they saved that money?

Agreed. I seriously doubt that those who worked minimum wage jobs were the type to save money before the pandemic, and much less after being given money for free for the past 18 months.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I would love to see our total credit card debt this year. I have a feeling it's blowing up from people whose unemployment/stimulus has run out but they dont want to go back. That's the next crisis
Marcus Brutus
Yes, it will end in another year or two.

The goal is to replace Americans with illegals from Honduras, Haiti and elsewhere.

Biden is bringing in 200k per month, which should allow the shortage to be alliviated in that time period.
Marcus Brutus
DannyDuberstein said:

I would love to see our total credit card debt this year. I have a feeling it's blowing up from people whose unemployment/stimulus has run out but they dont want to go back. That's the next crisis

Biden will bail them out at your expense.
DannyDuberstein
AG
No doubt. That is exactly what I expect. Just another backdoor way to UBI. We keep sending stimulus, sending tax credits, and forgiving debt
rocky the dog
AG
Elections are when people find out what politicians stand for, and politicians find out what people will fall for.
- Alfred E. Neuman
Tanya 93
rocky the dog said:

R.I.P. Firefly
ABATTBQ11
AG
People just need to admit it they these jobs suck and no one wants them. Stop blaming "gubmint bennies" that haven't existed for months and just get with the reality that this is a supply and demand issue. There are enough other jobs out there that people don't have to accept the first thing that comes along and they can pass on retail and service jobs.
45-70Ag
AG
Went to red lobster last night. Place may have been 1/2 full at best but was probably closer to 40% full and the wait was 90 minutes.

Needless to say, we didn't stay and wait.
Bubblez
ABATTBQ11 said:

People just need to admit it they these jobs suck and no one wants them. Stop blaming "gubmint bennies" that haven't existed for months and just get with the reality that this is a supply and demand issue. There are enough other jobs out there that people don't have to accept the first thing that comes along and they can pass on retail and service jobs.

The bennies are long gone. This is now a complete structural change. Retail, restaurants, and the entire service industry are going to have to start paying.
No Spin Ag
ABATTBQ11 said:

Good point.
CrackerJackAg
AG
Dan Scott said:

I'm not sure that "hire more kids" is the proper answer to anything... at all.

We need a stronger middle class. How do we get there without violating rights and property is the issue.

Free reign capitalism doesn't always work. The richest have been killing it and the middle class (90% of Texags) have not. You may be adjusted To our current economic condition but it is not up to par of previous generations.

If anyone thinks or society will prosper and continue to exist with the current (last 20+ years) trends then you are fooling yourself.

This is how you fuel the progressive party is by ignoring the widening gap. Most people on texags are still middle class but that middle class has started to get pretty damn tiny.
medwriter
hedge said:

Printers. Specifically the ones used by the government to print monopoly money.
administrative errors
Tanya 93 said:

Drug dealing.

Considering food as medicine [which it is], fast food is narcotics and should be eliminated from the diet of most Americans or restricted similarly or more effectively than alcohol.
MemphisAg1
AG
CrackerJackAg said:

Dan Scott said:

I'm not sure that "hire more kids" is the proper answer to anything... at all.

We need a stronger middle class. How do we get there without violating rights and property is the issue.

Free reign capitalism doesn't always work. The richest have been killing it and the middle class (90% of Texags) have not. You may be adjusted To our current economic condition but it is not up to par of previous generations.

If anyone thinks or society will prosper and continue to exist with the current (last 20+ years) trends then you are fooling yourself.

This is how you fuel the progressive party is by ignoring the widening gap. Most people on texags are still middle class but that middle class has started to get pretty damn tiny.

That's just nuts. The middle class today lives in bigger houses, drives nicer cars, has access to better medical care, and has all kinds of toys (iphones, computers, big screen TVs, jetskis, ATVs, etc) than their parents. And the poor in this country drive Escalades and BMWs while picking up free food at pantries, using their Lone Star card at Kroger, and depending on schools to feed their kids during the day.

The ultra wealthy are also doing better than ever, and the Democrats seize on that to create envy and promise to make the rich "pay their fair share." But let's be clear, it's a game of envy and pitting one class against another... it's not a case of the poor and middle class suffering in this country by any objective standard.

Do you have all you want? Of course not. Our wants are endless. If we get more, we want even more. And we especially don't like it when other people have more than we do. That is what fuels the Democratic platform, and sadly it works.
medwriter
ntxVol said:

Fast food i can understand, those jobs don't pay enough but you would still think HS kids would be working those.

For full service restaurants, the tips should be enough for many low skilled people to consider. I don't understand why there are shortages there.

Even still, there are a lot of entry level jobs out there with decent pay, benefits, and upward mobility that it's mind boggling to me how these places are having a hard time finding people.

I just don't get it, I would be miserable if I weren't working.
Even though they are keeping their heads above water temporarily, there is no "upward mobility" in stimulus and unemployment.

I too would be absolutely miserable not working. I take great pride in my work and challenge myself each and every day. Plus I just love what I do.

Some colleagues of mine over the years would always berate me because I rarely worked over 50 hours a week. Most weeks it is just 40 and no more.

But I give it my all during those eight hours and by the end of the day I am literally spent, mentally. Don't get me wrong I have and will work extremely long hours if necessary, but prefer to get it all done within the regular time frame.

Personally I think many people who work more than 40 a week are milking it or are just that slow.
medwriter
unmade bed said:

Dan Scott said:

True. Lots of incels making money day trading GameStop, etc. lots of young ladies making money posting pictures of things In their buttholes. Our society is nearing peak awesomeness.
Now we know why that bed is unmade. No time!!
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.