Retail Worker Shortage

6,369 Views | 78 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Owlagdad
Muy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Having able bodied adults stay home instead of working is a sign of a great economy, everyone knows that.
WHOOP!'91
AG
Muy said:

Having able bodied adults stay home instead of working is a sign of a great economy, everyone knows that.
So is having lines of ships waiting to come into the port. Of course, we never had that under Trump when the economy was the best it's ever been and salaries were going up for all income levels. But now, of course it's a sign of a strong economy.
A & M, GIVE US ROOM!

medwriter
ABATTBQ11 said:

People just need to admit it they these jobs suck and no one wants them. Stop blaming "gubmint bennies" that haven't existed for months and just get with the reality that this is a supply and demand issue. There are enough other jobs out there that people don't have to accept the first thing that comes along and they can pass on retail and service jobs.
I do agree that retail and service jobs are the absolute worst, with pay to match. These jobs are usually abusive, in the worst periods of time if temporary such as during the holidays, and you are on your feet all day long. Even for a young person, this is difficult. And I see people in their 50s and even up into their 70s performing some of these jobs. My hat goes off to most of them.

I do have one thing to say regarding the holders of these positions, and by that I mean the employers... Thank you for giving me the motivation to get my ass into gear and go into the US Army and after that, college.
JP76
Another possible scenario

Pam made $8 hour pre pandemic
Husband Joe made $8 pre pandemic

Now Pam stays home and due to labor shortage husband Joe now found a better job making $16 an hour

Not sure about other parts of the US but here in BCS i was recently told unskilled South Of the border labor won't even get in the truck unless you pay $21 an hour cash plus lunch.

On a side note I saw yesterday that McDonald's in south Austin has the dining room currently closed and is offering $500 sign on bonuses for new employees

MemphisAg1
AG
We need a hard recession to reset the market and expectations.

Not wishing for it, but when you can't get people to work at their asking price, things have gone off track.
JSKolache
AG
BrazosDog02 said:

murphyag said:

My oldest teen works at chick fil a. Alot of his friends quit working fast food and mall jobs during Covid and started doing delivery driver jobs (food and groceries). That might be happening everywhere and could explain shortages at restaurant and stores.

Hopefully this will usher in a period of more people eating at home, people that cook, the supper table, prayer, the nuclear family, and other things that used to make America great.

Things are going to go one of two ways coming up here pretty quick like.

Cook? No. People are still ordering fast food, they are just having someone bring it to them. Which boggles my mind....
mazag08
AG
MemphisAg1 said:

We need a hard recession to reset the market and expectations.

Not wishing for it, but when you can't get people to work at their asking price, things have gone off track.

Oh it's coming. But you better hope it resets the average Americans expectation of government. Otherwise, we will be in this never ending loop forever.
LeisureSuitLarry
Went to Walmart yesterday and after filling my cart, I went to check out.
Huge line at the self checkout on one side of the store so I went to the other end.
All self check outs were closed because, apparently, there were not enough employees to assist there.

Found a convenient place to park my full cart and carried my ass out of there.
Marcus Brutus
LeisureSuitLarry said:

Went to Walmart yesterday and after filling my cart, I went to check out.
Huge line at the self checkout on one side of the store so I went to the other end.
All self check outs were closed because, apparently, there were not enough employees to assist there.

Found a convenient place to park my full cart and carried my ass out of there.

I expect wal mart, kroger and the rest to accelerate the move to complete self checkout.
Owlagdad
Went to Walmart last night. Cheese cooler was empty, poor guy working it was bringing out one little box at a time. Opening box seemed to confuse him, awful slow. But at least he is working. Moved further down and they were out of creamer. Guy came out of cooler and I asked him if he had any. He came back with two. Looking back there, there is plenty boxes, guess no one to put it out.
I'd go help them for some Christmas cash, but Uncle who retired from AT&T did same and ended up doing all the work at 4 or 5 stations while the others sat on their ass.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.