Trunk or treating

4,616 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by The Collective
C@LAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So this is a thing.

Kids will be trick-or-treating out of cars, holding out little butterfly nets to collect candy throughout the neighborhood

C@LAg
FJB
Saltwater Assassin
AG
This has been going on for many years.
Do right and bear the consequences. -Sam Houston
C@LAg
Saltwater Assassin said:

This has been going for many years.
does not change the fact that this is stupid.

let the kids interact with people.

god knows the karens and the brads have locked their little brailens up for a year and a half. let them be kids.
V8Aggie
AG
Get nothing from me
texagbeliever
What is the problem with Trunk or Treats?

Great outreach for churches. Provides a focal point to trick or treat before dark. Add in activities and fun. Plus you don't have to worry about the character of the neighbors. You aren't rained out (normally can move indoors in inclement weather).

Yes if you live in a nice neighborhood this is probably less important. But if you live in an apartment or less affluent area those may not be real options.
TexasAggie73
AG
My church has done this for years in the Woodlands.
Maroon Dawn
AG
Trunk or Treat has ALWAYS been for the unfortunate kids with the insanely over protective helicopter mom who believes all the sensationalist news reports about razor blades in candy and satanic cult kidnappings on Halloween

Glad my parents were of the "just be back before midnight" variety
Pookers
AG
C@LAg said:

FJB

This response is so versatile.

FJB
zephyr88
AG
It's not all bad.

We have trunk or treat in my hood, but it's because we're in an oversized lot neighborhood without street lights. We park our cars/trucks at the neighborhood park and the kids go car to car collecting their goodies while the while we hammer down adult beverages.
Fenrir
It was a thing years before covid. A lot of rural areas have it at a church or community center or something.
Saltwater Assassin
AG
C@LAg said:

Saltwater Assassin said:

I dont necessarily disagree, just seems like a weird thing to get mad about. Our church has hosted one of these for close to a decade.
Do right and bear the consequences. -Sam Houston
Corn Pop
So freaking dumb. As always, even last year, I'll be handing out full size candy bars to kids and beer to the parents.

Edit: churches and rural areas are understandable. If this is Covid related/in a well lit neighborhood you need a kick to the gut.
BillYeoman
Espresso drinks? Lame. The Trunk or Treats at my church were always booze fests
Kenneth_2003
AG
Some of y'all have SERIOUSLY got to step back from politics and untwist your panties. If you're worked up over this I sincerely hope you're in regular contact with your cardiologist.

Trunk or treat is not a hill to die on. Hell it shouldn't even be a fight!
Tanya 93
2 years ago, my son's Scout troop piled into 3 minivans and hit 7 trunk or treat at churches in one day.

They got tons of stuff.
Then they had the giant candy/trinket trading while 3 dads grilled hot dogs and chicken and some of the moms used solo cups to hide the margaritas.

Every kid but my brat gave me their banana laffy in exchange for the baked treats I made.
kb2001
AG
Trunk or Treats are awesome. I don't know about the net thing the OP is talking about, but we had a lot of them in Colorado. At a church or a school, usually a different night than actual Halloween, they'd have hot chocolate inside (usually pretty cold there at the end of October). Some had various carnival games and stuff, lots of fun. Cars were decked out with decorations, it was pretty fun.

It creates a pretty fun environment for the kids, and we'd still go house to house on actual Halloween.

ETA- looks like the one the OP is talking about is happening on 10/30 in the morning, so it doesn't replace trick or treating, just an additional party for the kids. Not sure what the gripe is about.
AgsMnn
AG
Put a trump sticker over trunk.
Swan Song
AG
C@LAg said:

So this is a thing.

Kids will be trick-or-treating out of cars, holding out little butterfly nets to collect candy throughout the neighborhood

That's not on Halloween, doesn't replace trick or treating.
Tanya 93
The masks the kids are wearing are just as useful as the paper masks or the cloth ones with minecraft, frozen, and batman are.
Kenneth_2003
AG
Halloween is on a Sunday, that looks like a quality family Saturday night
C@LAg
Swan Song said:

C@LAg said:

So this is a thing.

they neighborhoods are explicitly "cancelling" walking trick or treating this year so "kids do not bring COVID to houses", and replacing it with this.
this is not community coming together. it is "keep your little covid carriers off my property".
Whirligigs
C@LAg said:

Saltwater Assassin said:

let the kids interact with people.

god knows the karens and the brads have locked their little brailens up for a year and a half. let them be kids.

They still interact at trunk or treats and kids still do traditional Halloween. Talk about being a Karen.
TAMUallen
AG
Yea, that's going to be a no. It's trick or treat. End of discussion.
Fenrir
C@LAg said:

Swan Song said:

C@LAg said:

So this is a thing.

they neighborhoods are explicitly "cancelling" walking trick or treating this year so "kids do not bring COVID to houses", and replacing it with this.
this is not community coming together. it is "keep your little covid carriers off my property".

Well you've lived in libtopia for a while, this shouldn't surprise you. The 3 trunk or treats near me aren't being used as a replacement for trick or treating in my neighborhood. Sorry your neighbors suck.
torrid
AG
Maroon Dawn said:

Trunk or Treat has ALWAYS been for the unfortunate kids with the insanely over protective helicopter mom who believes all the sensationalist news reports about razor blades in candy and satanic cult kidnappings on Halloween

Glad my parents were of the "just be back before midnight" variety
This AH single-handedly ruined my childhood.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronald_Clark_O%27Bryan
scoodogg
AG
Our trunk or treating happens in the church parking lot. It allows the rural residents (often older folks) an opportunity to give out candy and see the trick or treaters (like their grandkids). It is in addition to the normal trick or treating. Kids swing by the church when making their rounds.
p_bubel
I went through all 45 pounds of candy last year on my porch here in San Antonio, I fully expect to go through the 60 pounds I bought this year.
fightingfarmer09
I'm confused by the OP.

We had to do "drive thru" trick or treating last year because of Covid canceling some large events. And that was crap. This doesn't seem to be what is actually being advertised.

But the traditional "Trunk or Treat" is awesome for the kids in rural areas. In our community it's on par with an Aggie tailgate. Each booth sets up mini haunted houses and only give out the giant bars of candy. Most kids go trick or treating at a decent hour in the neighborhoods and then go to the Trunk or Treat during the dark hours after the little kids go through.

If you had traditional trick or treating my kids would be walking 2-3 miles to go to 3-4 houses, which would likely be empty.
Swan Song
AG
C@LAg said:

Swan Song said:

C@LAg said:

So this is a thing.

Ok, misunderstood. We have these in addition too...
GiveEmHellBill
AG
A&M United Methodist has been doing this since pretty much for all my kid's lives. It's in the late-afternoon to early evening the Sunday before Halloween and since this year that is the same day there's still plenty of time to go home and trick-or-treat in our neighborhood. This is so NOT a new thing....

You seriously need to get your panties untwisted if you think this has anything to do with Biden's COVID America.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
C@LAg said:

Swan Song said:

C@LAg said:

So this is a thing.

This is information that should have been put in your original post....
MookieBlaylock
AG
Another wonderful mommy blog post from dont live in seacattle ag
Ag_of_08
AG
Trunk or treats have been a thing since before I was a kid in rural areas and bad neighborhoods.

Had nothing to do with karen/Darren or snow flakes, it just meant the kids that didn't have a hay ride could trick or treat without walking 15 miles, or through bad neighborhoods.

There are 4 going on in my little town and the surrounding areas this year. The churches and the shriners are putting them on. It has 0 to do with covid, mostly it's to keep two subdivisions that can actually be walked without it becoming a little kids ruck-march from.becoming the epicenter of all trick or treating in the west half of the county. I'll probably be at one in my 16th century armor, a few of us show up and walk around handing out candy from spare helms and gauntlets ... the little ones think having a group of "knights" handing out candy is awesome. We even had a group of WWII reenactors show up a couple years ago, they all had candy in their helmets and an ammo box, walking around dressed like 82nd airborne on d-day, most of them not carrying "prop" guns to boot.... Noone cared. I carry a 4.5ft long zweihander around when I go.... it has a blunting tip on ti so some little kid doesn't end up a kebab, but.... yeah no Darren's or Karen's freaking out.

Yall freak out over some weird stuff..... most of the trunk or treat events are harmless ways to keep trick or treating Alive in the BS of the modern world.
Stasco
AG
Anderson, TX has had trunk or treat for years now (spread out, rural population that needs to consolidate in one place so the kids can walk.)

The 2020 trunk or treat in Anderson would have given Fauci an aneurism. It was a giant mosh pit of a crowd. Kids having fun. People passing out candy. Less than 1% of the people wearing masks.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.