The Real Pandemic: Childhood Obesity

1,186 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by SidsBurnerAccount
NASAg03
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Quote:

"The increase in obesity over the 11 months [we] analyzed compares to the increase seen in national data over almost the last two decades," Koebnick said.

Overall, the portion of 5-11-year-olds who are classified as overweight or obese is now 45.7 percent, up from 36.2 percent before the pandemic. The same figures rose by 5.2 percent among 12-15-year olds and 3.1 percent among 16- and 17-year-olds.
18 months into this pandemic, and the affects that global policy has had on kids is alarming. Or it should be. But there isn't a single news article on this.
We've taken a pandemic that affects the elderly and unhealthy adults, and instead of our kids coming out better for it, they are now far worse. Not only that, but we've taught them that when you are afraid, you hide indoors, alone, stress eating, and do so until someone says you should go outside.

Bad habits die hard. Obese kids die young. This is horrible, an outside of De Santis and a few others, majority of American leaders still act like covid is the greatest threat to childhood wellbeing.

https://www.the74million.org/staggering-new-research-shows-that-child-obesity-has-soared-during-pandemic/
Pookers
AG
Don't you body shame my boy Jayden, he has to eat chicken nuggests from McDonalds to deal with his anxiety caused by wearing masks 24x7 somehow!
MouthBQ98
AG
That is insane. Once they've developed the habit of being fat, it's much harder to go back to a healthy weight.
SW-14
AG
That's a pretty terrible chart. What exactly are those lines supposed to represent?
NASAg03
SW-14 said:

That's a pretty terrible chart. What exactly are those lines supposed to represent?
I agree. I'm guessing it's obesity growth rates for different age groups, but I can't find a reference to it in the article. References and a legend would be great, but the world we live in doesn't care much about the details.
Scrooge Doogler
AG
This is what the article is referencing
https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7037a3.htm?s_cid=mm7037a3_w#T1_down

FIGURE. Estimated body mass index before and during the COVID-19 pandemic, by initial body mass index category, stratified by age group IQVIA Ambulatory Electronic Medical Records Database, United States, start highlightJanuary 2018November 2020
SW-14
AG
Thanks, that makes sense now.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Those charts make sense at all...

Exactly what is the y axis? It says BMI, but then why are the lines classified by weight category?
Post removed:
by user
Scrooge Doogler
AG
I edited to add the figure label.
UTExan
This is a terrible trend. From 1990 through 2020, males participating in the labor force declined by an estimated 9-10%. Although there are a variety of factors, (including retirement of boomers) drug/substance abuse, mental health issues and obesity leading to early onset osteoarthritis have been cited as reasons for withdrawal from the labor force and disability is paid to those experiencing obesity and mental health issues. In 1970 , the male labor participation rate was 80%.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/191725/us-male-civilian-labor-force-participation-rate-since-1990/

And

"Many of those receiving disability payments via Social Security are receiving them for ailments such as mental health disorders and disorders that occur due to long-term obesity and drug or alcohol abuse. Data from the Social Security Disability Program's 2019 annual report show that 35 percent of Social Security Disability beneficiaries are disabled due to a mental health disorder, with mood disorders most common. An additional 30 percent of beneficiaries have disabilities associated with a musculoskeletal disorder, many of which are due to obesity. While disability and LFP are clearly correlated, it may be difficult to determine which is the cause and which is the effect."

https://www.richmondfed.org/publications/research/econ_focus/2021/q1/district_digest

It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
Post removed:
by user
MizooAg94
AG
It is. Overweight bmi is not that fat. A lot of weight lifters are overweight and have 5-10 % body fat. Shoot I'm at the top 75% of normal and nobody would call me fat...but I lift.
KidDoc
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

Those charts make sense at all...

Exactly what is the y axis? It says BMI, but then why are the lines classified by weight category?
Y axis is BMI, dashed lines are where that population was before pandemic. So the fat ones got fatter and the skinny ones also gained weight.

I know you said there aren't any news articles and maybe there isn't in MSM but I have been getting articles almost daily about this issue as a pediatrician. This morning I got this one in an email:
Pediatric obesity and the impact of COVID-19 (contemporarypediatrics.com)

I have seen it very clearly in my Texas population. Massive weight gains in a lot of patients with the shutdowns as the parents continued to try to work and the kids were often alone or with grandparents and snacked on junk all day for a year.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
PCC_80
AG
It is like we have purposely done every thing wrong over the last year and a half. We knew very early that this virus is really hard on the old, over weight and the diabetic. We then shut down the country and sent every one home to isolate. We prohibited people from exercising or even getting outside. The result is the average American has gained over 20lbs due to the lockdowns. It is not surprising that kids are also becoming obese due to this insanity.
SidsBurnerAccount
Rendered Fat said:

"Overall, the portion of 5-11-year-olds who are classified as overweight or obese is now 45.7 percent"

There is no way that is true.
User name checks out.

The damage to children we've inflicted is a national disgrace.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.