Corporate Recruitment Spikes at HBCUs In the Wake of 2020 Civil Unrest

4,334 Views | 56 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by UTExan
UTExan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
These companies better invest in remedial courses because HBCUs, for the good that they do, are not historically adept at preparing students with great job skills and experiences like traditional, more diverse state universities.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
BAP Enthusiast
Cassius said:

BAP Enthusiast said:

Big Johnson Ag said:

Ty old company had a Town Hall at the beginning of this year saying they were going to focus on hiring more women and minorities. Q&A after was immediately cut off when people started asking why we weren't just hiring the best people for the job.

Companies don't even value profit anymore. Literally nothing else matters behind diversity quotas and social justice.

I am convinced that if most Fortune 500 companies with huge numbers of blue collar workers could cut them all, they would do so if it helped push more of this garbage. Corporate and Investors absolutely despise the workers who make the company money.

That's why they will ultimately lose. Some company, somewhere around the world, in that same market, does value profit and excellence. And consumers, despite the nonsense they spout, make decisions based on value and price.

And this is where you are wrong. These things are being pushed by global finance aka Blackrock, Vanguard, etc. aka the owners of the Fortune 500 companies. These investor companies have literally trillions of dollars in assets, money means absolutely nothing to them at this point. They can buy and sell entire countries with ease.

You need to stop thinking profit matters anymore to the elites on top. What matters to them is power and control. Since they already control the global money supply, they now want power and control over our lives. Do not make the mistake of assuming this has anything to do with money or that a challenger will be allowed to rise.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
My Name Is Judge said:

Capitalism will always bring to light who is smart & who is poor

Looking forward to more woke companies failing
I've been saying this all along. Talent -- true talent -- always rises to the top.

You can hand people an easy "in" to Harvard, bring them in the door, and give them every resource possible to be promoted. But at the end of the day, the bottom line is what it is and those who can lead in a way that makes money will prevail.

I see this in the legal industry. Generally speaking, law school classes are roughly even in terms of academic achievement and intellectual horsepower. So when you socially promote someone into a class that has similar undergrad GPAs and LSAT scores, they're going to be behind the curve. This is particularly pronounced because law school classes are graded on a competitive curve (i.e. if there are 100 students in a class and everyone aces the final, you all get a B; if everyone gets a 0 on the final, you all get a B; more realistically, professor blindly grades all exams and ranks them 1-100, 50th place gets a B). So someone might get socially promoted into, suppose, UT Law. But they're now in direct (and blind) competition with students who have stronger academic backgrounds. All that said, employers will still take minority graduates -- because law firms are generally progressive leftist and because larger corporate clients have various diversity requirements (anywhere from encouraged to "we won't give you work unless you meet a specific quota").

The problem is that no matter what sort of training, mentoring, resources, or anything else you give people, there just might be better lawyers out there. Point being that ultimately, no matter what you do, you can't engineer away the talent gap that will always exist.
@TyWebb
HBCUs are ****ty schools and their students suck. If they were good, they'd be at good schools.

I won't hire minorities for all the reasons listed here. Not worth the trouble and usually, they're not even close to as good.
Johnny04
Have racial hiring/promotion quotas ever been challenged in court? Isn't this what we passed civil rights laws for?
TxTarpon
Whoa there Whitey McWhiteperson...just hang on.
Many of these companies have intense training programs, mentors and paid for additional education packages.

----------------------------------
Texans make the best songwriters because they are the best liars.-Rodney Crowell

We will never give up our guns Steve, we don't care if there is a mass shooting every day of the week.
-BarronVonAwesome

A man with experience is not at the mercy of another man with an opinion.
TxTarpon
Private business can hire who they want to.
You want tyrants in black robes to make those decisions?
Texans make the best songwriters because they are the best liars.-Rodney Crowell

We will never give up our guns Steve, we don't care if there is a mass shooting every day of the week.
-BarronVonAwesome

TxTarpon
TxTarpon
You are on the money!

I always love working with entrepreneurs that have this insane, innate drive to do things that others, including me, think cannot be done.

I have learned so much over the years.

-BarronVonAwesome

Athanasius
AG
I guess I'm failing to see how increased recruiting at those institutions is a bad thing.

Sounds like a GREAT thing.
Athanasius
AG
@TyWebb said:

HBCUs are ****ty schools and their students suck. If they were good, they'd be at good schools.

I won't hire minorities for all the reasons listed here. Not worth the trouble and usually, they're not even close to as good.
Wow. Ty. Not good.
@TyWebb
TxTarpon said:

Dangerous statement there bro
You might want to delete that.
It's the truth. Dangerous how? Staff going to come by and delete it because it offends their delicate sensibilities? Prove me wrong. Show me ANY data that disproves my statement. You can't.
@TyWebb
Athanasius said:

I guess I'm failing to see how increased recruiting at those institutions is a bad thing.

Why is it a great thing if they're doing it solely because of the color of their skin and not their qualifications?
@TyWebb
Athanasius said:

@TyWebb said:

Wow. Ty. Not good.
Prove me wrong.

You can't. You've been brainwashed into reacting to truths in a negative way because you're worried it might offend some irrational people for whom the truth is uncomfortable. Want to know how to fix it so it's no longer true? Fix the culture. Stop having kids by multiple women. Emphasize education. Get a decent job so you can live in an area where your children can go to schools that actually give them a chance.

The truth hurts. Change it.
TxTarpon

Quote:

It's the truth. Dangerous how? Staff going to come by and delete it because it offends their delicate sensibilities? Prove me wrong. Show me ANY data that disproves my statement. You can't.
Did you miss the cheesecake crew lurkers last year during the Sully events?
Thankfully staff deleted a decade+ of threads for most of us.

-BarronVonAwesome

WHOOP!'91
AG
Athanasius said:

What's great about it? Is an engineering degree from PVAMU is equivalent to one from TAMU or t.u.?
A & M, GIVE US ROOM!

Athanasius
AG
WHOOP!'91 said:

Athanasius said:

What's great about it? Is an engineering degree from PVAMU is equivalent to one from TAMU or t.u.?
It is increased exposure for talent to be found.

I have been a successful engineering leader for over 2 decades. Some of the best engineers I've ever found were people with just high-school diplomas who started in front-line duties and ended up having the talent and drive, but never the opportunity.

This initiative above is an opportunity.
@TyWebb
Athanasius said:

WHOOP!'91 said:

Athanasius said:

I have been a successful engineering leader for over 2 decades. Some of the best engineers I've ever found were people with just high-school diplomas who started in front-line duties and ended up having the talent and drive, but never the opportunity.

What "opportunity" did they not have? Someone forget to tell them that school was important? I grew up with a one parent who finished 10th grade. I never noticed any efforts to bend over backwards for me. Something different here?
@TyWebb
TxTarpon said:

Quote:

Did you miss the cheesecake crew lurkers last year during the Sully events?
Thankfully staff deleted a decade+ of threads for most of us.

Why would I want it deleted? It's true. As evidenced by the fact that nobody has or will dispute it.
@TyWebb
Athanasius said:

WHOOP!'91 said:

Athanasius said:

Except they aren't being recruited for their talent. They're being recruited so that the company can brag about how diverse they are and people like you - who are easily manipulated - get to feel warm and fuzzy about themselves for no actual reason at all.
NE PA Ag
Athanasius said:

WHOOP!'91 said:

Athanasius said:

I'm confused. You gave an example of a high school educated individual that showed aptitude and promise, so presumably your company paid for them to pursue and complete a degree in engineering. Did the people in your example attend an HBCU for that degree?

This thread is about poor education at HBCUs, including statements here that an engineering education at those schools is severely lacking. Do you not need a good foundation for your new hires right out of college? I could see that for some fields, but I would think engineering requires a solid educational basis coming into the first job.
TxTarpon
That "feel good" federal government work?
Federal contractors with 50 or more employees and at least $50,000 in federal contracts must develop a written affirmative action program for minorities, females and individuals with disabilities. Federal contractors with 50 or more employees and at least $100,000 in federal contracts must develop an affirmative action program for veterans. Federal contractors with fewer than 50 employees and more than $10,000 in federal contracts are not required to develop a written affirmative action program, but they have certain other affirmative action obligations.

Then there is the HUB Business stuff.
That can get squirrely.
I have see lots of "pass throughs" over the years with state and federal work.
The only people that feel good on that are the HUBs that take a % for nothing.
UTExan
TxTarpon said:

That "feel good" federal government work?
Federal contractors with 50 or more employees and at least $50,000 in federal contracts must develop a written affirmative action program for minorities, females and individuals with disabilities. Federal contractors with 50 or more employees and at least $100,000 in federal contracts must develop an affirmative action program for veterans. Federal contractors with fewer than 50 employees and more than $10,000 in federal contracts are not required to develop a written affirmative action program, but they have certain other affirmative action obligations.

Then there is the HUB Business stuff.
That can get squirrely.

Pretty much if you are a minority, somewhat ambitious and work hard you can make a mint.

At one point, my 23andme profile showed 0.9 % Hispanic.
I had it made, I thought. I look Nordic but there was the proof via DNA testing.

Then they updated the profile showing all British, German, Irish and Scandinavian ancestry.

I should have taken a screenshot before the update to be on the right side of American apartheid.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.