Chair force earning its nickname

6,909 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Buck Turgidson
Who?mikejones!
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://taskandpurpose.com/news/air-force-fitness-test-walking/

Quote:

The Air Force raised some eyebrows on Monday when it announced upcoming changes to its physical training test that would allow airmen to choose their own adventure for demonstrating physical prowess.

The new test, which the service will begin to experiment with in January 2022, will allow airmen to choose between running, shuttle run sprints, and walking for the aerobic portion of the test. Shuttle run sprints involve sprinting back and forth between two markers about 25 meters apart. They could then choose between planks and sit-ups for the core strength measure. And for the final portion of the test airmen would be allowed to choose between push-ups and raised-hand push-ups.
CDUB98
AG
China and Russia are laughing at us.
Owlagdad
Air Farce
e=mc2
AG
Agthatbuilds said:

Quote:

The Air Force raised some eyebrows on Monday when it announced upcoming changes to its physical training test that would allow airmen to choose their own adventure for demonstrating physical prowess.

The new test, which the service will begin to experiment with in January 2022, will allow airmen to choose between running, shuttle run sprints, and walking for the aerobic portion of the test. Shuttle run sprints involve sprinting back and forth between two markers about 25 meters apart. They could then choose between planks and sit-ups for the core strength measure. And for the final portion of the test airmen would be allowed to choose between push-ups and raised-hand push-ups.

Why is the USAF using the metric system? We are a laughing stock.
Brewskis
AG
The AF physical fitness test has been a farce since it's inception.
Who?mikejones!
https://instagr.am/p/CQuRZFNDBM8
AgNav93
AG
It's still better than that stupid bike test they used to make us do. That was a joke.
LOYAL AG
AG
Everyone not Air Force loves to ***** about the Air Force. Way back in 1989-1991 when we were sent from Fort Ord to Travis AFB for guard duty we were convinced that the Air Force got to pick their own PT adventure. Their options back then were run 1.5 miles, walk 3 miles, catch a cab for 6 miles or drive their own car for 12 miles. Know what else we were convinced of? Air Force has the best chow, prettiest girls and if you're on a base like Travis there's no platoon PT because there's always a shift trying to sleep. Oh and they're on a first name basis with pretty much everyone from the CG down. Most of the enlisted Army guys I served with would have chosen Air Force had they "known then what they know now".
coconutED
AG

I post this as an Air Force vet; it's completely true.
Onceaggie2.0
I knew a guy in college least athletic dude ever made it through Air Force OCS in a breeze..he said the PT was a joke.
WestTexAg12
AG
e=mc2 said:

Agthatbuilds said:

Quote:

Why is the USAF using the metric system? We are a laughing stock.

I take it you have never done land nav or ranged targets.

Hint: we all use meters in the forces.
vmiaptetr
AG
Army, Navy, Marines: "If I were going to do it all over again, I'd go Air Force."

Air Force: "If I were going to do it all over again, I'd go Coast Guard."
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
My dad served five years in the Army during the 60s and 70s and did a tour in Vietnam. He got out in 73 or so and joined the Air Force Reserves in 78. He retired from the Reserves in the early 00s after serving in Iraq. He was pretty hard core and always regretted that he wasted 5 years in the Army and didn't spend those years in the Air Force. My brother is career Army and my dad never could understand it. His complaint was that the Army continually jerked you around while the AF was more autonomous.
vmiaptetr
AG
Fuzzy Dunlop said:

His complaint was that the Army continually jerked you around while the AF was more autonomous.

I think that was the official complaint of the actual Air Force when they separated from the Army.
Who?mikejones!
My favorite quote from the article:

Quote:

Kelly said the updated test will not include a weight measurement or a waist measurement, which was done away with late last year. However, he said that starting October 1, 2021, there will be a discussion about some kind of required body composition measurement which is yet to be determined. Some kind of body composition measurement is required by federal law, he explained.

"It's also just about appearance in our uniform," Kelly said.

To bad task and purpose removed their instagram post. It was a video from an air force drill instructor saying air force enlistees are in better physical shape than marines.
Ellis Wyatt
But what about the airwomen?
HoustonAg2106
AG
Ellis Wyatt said:

But what about the airwomen?

They're airpeople

BBRex
AG
Pretty soon you'll be able to max out on the Air Force PT test by typing above 40 words a minute.
Who?mikejones!
vmiaptetr said:

Army, Navy, Marines: "If I were going to do it all over again, I'd go Air Force."

Coast guard says they shouldve went space force.
Martin Cash
AG
Agthatbuilds said:

Quote:

Wait! You mean you have to be able to walk to be in the Air Force now?
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
vmiaptetr said:

coast guard: "if I were going to do it all over again, I'd be a civilian and go Sig Ep."
UTExan
They should add a video game option instead of an actual PT test.
“If you’re going to have crime it should be organized crime”
-Havelock Vetinari
TRADUCTOR
K2-HMFIC
K2-HMFIC
New PT test is dumb.

I'll do my mile and a half with my arthritis and like it.
P.U.T.U
AG
Sad so many people forgot that the end goal for the military is to protect the citizens so there should be a key focus on killing people. CRT and choosing your own adventures are just distractions.
Aggie Infantry
AG
Three points:

1. The Air Force is a viable alternative to military service.

2. When you meet someone who says they were "in the military", ask "Air Force?". 9 out of 10 times they will answer "yes". An Army vet says "Army". A Navy vet replies "Navy". Marines say "Marines". Only the USAF says "Military".

3. Finally - the Coast Guard is not "military". They are Department of Homeland Security.

When the truth comes out, do not ask me how I knew.
Ask yourself why you did not.
dmart90
AG
I'm in my mid-50s, overweight, and out of shape.

I could pass that PT test.

WTF?
12thAngryMan
AG
Serious question: what jobs does an average airman do that require physical fitness? I'm not in the military, so I can't comment on the intangible aspect of discipline, morale, etc.. But realistically, do we want to narrow the pool of potential candidates that would handle our cybersecurity, jets, satellites, rockets, etc. to someone who can run a 6 minute mile? I acknowledge other branches have their share of these things too, but put simply, warfare has changed in the last century. Why not have requirements reasonably tailored to MOS?
Rocag
AG
Got curious about what the standards for the walk was. Apparently its just a 2km walk that you have about 16 minutes to finish. That's just a little faster than the standard per mile pace for a 12 mile ruck in the Army...

eric76
AG
vmiaptetr said:

A cousin of mine spent a few years in the Coast Guard in the early 1970s. He spent a lot of his time on a ship at sea adrift at some place in the Pacific Ocean providing radio and navigation assistance to aircraft in the area.

That makes the Air Force look a lot better. Have you ever heard of someone being adrift in a flying airplane for months at a time?
vmiaptetr
AG
eric76 said:

vmiaptetr said:

A cousin of mine spent a few years in the Coast Guard in the early 1970s. He spent a lot of his time on a ship at sea adrift at some place in the Pacific Ocean providing radio and navigation assistance to aircraft in the area.

That makes the Air Force look a lot better. Have you ever heard of someone being adrift in a flying airplane for months at a time?

When a Coastie says he "spent a lot of his time on a ship at sea adrift at some place in the Pacific Ocean," he's talking about Hawaii.

Edit: and his idea of "a lot of his time on a ship" is probably around 1 weekend a month, two weeks a year.
hunterntexas
AG
Aggie Infantry said:

Three points:

1. The Air Force is a viable alternative to military service.

2. When you meet someone who says they were "in the military", ask "Air Force?". 9 out of 10 times they will answer "yes". An Army vet says "Army". A Navy vet replies "Navy". Marines say "Marines". Only the USAF says "Military".

3. Finally - the Coast Guard is not "military". They are Department of Homeland Security.

Completely incorrect. I often say I wasn't in the military, I was in the Air Force.
Most of the people I served with liked that we never had to carry a ruck sack, didn't have to run more than a mile and a half, and had chow halls far better than the other branches.

Army and Navy typically say their branch or military.
Marines grunt "Marine".
Coasties usually avoid the conversation.

USAF '93-'97
BQ78
AG
I was in the military for 30 years.

Half of my time was under army command and I kicked their ass at PT playing by their rules.
BrotherChad
AG
Rocag said:

Got curious about what the standards for the walk was. Apparently its just a 2km walk that you have about 16 minutes to finish. That's just a little faster than the standard per mile pace for a 12 mile ruck in the Army...

That's odd, I don't see a column for non-binary
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.