The reason we should not be concerned about inflation

102,609 Views | 899 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by LMCane
Señor Chang
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
OP was so condescending and so wrong. It would be funny, except we're all getting ****ed.
nortex97
AG
Oldag2020 said:

Ribeye-Rare said:

Oldag2020 said:

Basically, we can spend as much as we want with little to zero negative consequences.
Absurd. Government spending is, almost without exception, much more wasteful and much more prone to inefficient allocation of economic resources than is spending by the private sector. While economic resources are certainly not completely finite, they definitely are subject to restraints that prevent them being supplied in unlimited quantities.

A government owned or favored 'enterprise', lacking the 'stick' of a profit motive to keep it efficient and honest, can virtually never provide the same standard of quality or price that a private sector business can. Moreover, those in government who are granted the authority to choose winners and losers rarely, if ever, have their own skin in the game. Subsidies, grants and all other manner of BS seldom work out for the benefit of the taxpayer, and take resources away from allocations that make economic 'sense'.

Politicians make very poor businessmen. Saying we should give them carte blanche to spend unlimited sums of 'other people's money' is just not sustainable. The examples of history are before your very eyes:

West Germany vs. East Germany
South Korea vs. North Korea
Taiwan vs. China (pre 'opening')

If unlimited government spending is without consequence, why were those economies so damn pitiful? Throw in Venezuela to boot, if you like.

As to the points about technological advances and increased labor supply, it would seem considering that much of the current (and planned) increase in labor supply will be in those who are definitely unskilled and uneducated, they will be the most likely to be replaced by that technology, rather than use that technology to enable the making of a zillion widgets more than we make now.

I will admit that I've been baffled by the relative lack of inflation over last the 15 years. Like the man in the nursing home awaiting his ultimate fate, I've been waiting for it, have yet to see it, but I damn sure know it's coming and it bothers me.

OTOH, part of me thinks we are being 'punked' by OP, and he is really a Chicago-school monetarist like Milton Friedman who is playing the devil's advocate just to screw with us.

If he really is serious, I don't know how 'old' an Ag he could be. Thinking like this would have earned you an F- in the economics department I attended at A&M in the '70s, where the Monetarists were king and we thumbed our noses at the Keynesians down the road on the Berkeley East 40 acres.

The reason for no long term inflation(yes we have transitory inflation) is simply that our productive capacity is so high. We are extremely efficient and can produce much much more than we are producing. It's this simple. Productivity and production far outpace our demand. This should be worrying to us all. It is a serious deflationary risk.

It's why both parties, democrats and conservatives, are becoming so adamant about increasing spending.
Amazing.

This thread (or the older posts) are tragically hilarious to read now.
CDUB98
AG
This young toolbag hasn't popped his precious, pointed little head back out of his hole since he got his **** pushed in on this thread.
Owlagdad
CDUB98 said:

This young toolbag hasn't popped his precious, pointed little head back out of his hole since he got his **** pushed in on this thread.

Come on back and explain, OP!!
Redstone
AG
Also started a thread on Business. When I'm decimating you there regarding economics, a class I struggled to get a B in, it's time to reevaluate your TexAgs posting career.
Prosperdick
AG
OP hasn't posted in over a month. He must be busy in meetings, transition meetings of course.
beerad12man
AG
Yikes. I haven't seen a beating like that since Hugh Grant.
mazag08
AG
Do yourself a favor and go read the same thread on the business board. It's high comedy.
ThreatLevel: Midnight
AG
Sometimes when I need a laugh in these troubling times I find this thread and think of the below quote from Mark Twain (ala The Big Short):
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble, it's what you know for certain that just ain't so."
Thanks & Gig 'Em
Aggie1944s Kid
AG
Say again?
Get ready bal. You're gonna in for a problem.
waitwhat?
Every time this is bumped it's brutal. It's too bad there's no catch phrase that sticks like two teas.
" 'People that read with pictures think that it's simply about a mask' - Dana Loesch" - Ban Cow Gas

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Dr. Ron Paul

Big Tech IS the empire of lies

TEXIT
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Do you think OP knows hyperinflation is only a phenomenon that happens with fiat currencies?
Redstone
AG
Anyone tried to buy beef, orange juice, or milk recently? I have. These items are available. I found them….

!!!!! How have prices exploded so much, and for so long now? And why is my number 20 breakfast at Whataburger approaching $6, when I remember it at $4.75?

Is this transitory? Will prices decrease? Please help me understand. I was NOT a Business major!!!
aggie_fan13
AG
No BS, my usual meal at chick fil has gone up about $2.30
Ag in Tiger Country
AG
Much needed bump to remind OP that he is a DUMBASS!!
SpreadsheetAg
AG
waitwhat? said:

Every time this is bumped it's brutal. It's too bad there's no catch phrase that sticks like two teas.

"Unflation"
Agsrback12
Carter 2.0
Decay
AG
Inflation was transitory.

Transitioning from bad to worse
lb3
AG
I think this thread and a similar one on the B&I board broke the OP. He hasn't been around for a while.

ETA: or maybe he lost this sock in the dryer.
Marcus Brutus
Decay said:

Inflation was transitory.

Transitioning from bad to worse

lol, nice
The Dirty Sock
A little inflation ain't never hurt no one. Ain't that right OP?
CDUB98
AG
This thread continues to be one of the most brutal bumps in the history of TA.
aggiedata
AG
It's the corporation's fault for raising prices!!! That's it. That's the reason we have inflation.

BigRobSA
Agsrback12 said:

Carter 2.0

Even Carter is thinking:

"Damn! This guy makes me look competent! Thanks, Brandon!!"
aTmAg
AG
Did that sanctimonious clown ever show his face again?
96ags
AG
aTmAg said:

I'm almost certain that was a sock for an A&M employee.
aTmAg
AG
96ags said:

aTmAg said:

How do you know that?
96ags
AG
aTmAg said:

96ags said:

aTmAg said:

How do you know that?
Can't prove it, just call it a hunch
aTmAg
AG
96ags said:

aTmAg said:

96ags said:

aTmAg said:

How do you know that?

That same prof dude who embarrassed himself here a while back?
Ghost Mech
lb3 said:

I think this thread and a similar one on the B&I board broke the OP. He hasn't been around for a while.

ETA: or maybe he lost this sock in the dryer.

He'll be back around to claim victory for predicting deflation when the whole system comes crashing down and we enter Great Depression 2.0.

Until then he'll just hang out in his cave.....

Quote:

My favorite quote from OP
"Basically, we can spend as much as we want with little to zero negative consequences. Long term inflation is not on the way. "

96ags
AG
aTmAg said:

96ags said:

aTmAg said:

96ags said:

aTmAg said:

How do you know that?

That same prof dude who embarrassed himself here a while back?
Redstone
AG
Breakfast this morning at Whataburger (I'm a preferred customer via the app, earning an item for every 5 visits). Also? Target.

Inflation? Big inflation?
CONFIRMED
ProgN

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/02/10/january-2022-cpi-inflation-rises-7point5percent-over-the-past-year-even-more-than-expected.html

Quote:

Consumer prices in January surged more than expected over the past 12 months, indicating a worsening outlook for inflation and cementing the likelihood of substantial interest rate hikes this year.

The consumer price index, which measures the costs of dozens of everyday consumer goods, rose 7.5% compared to a year ago, the Labor Department reported Thursday.

That compared to Dow Jones estimates of 7.2% for the closely watched inflation gauge. It was the highest reading since February 1982.

Stripping out volatile gas and grocery costs, the CPI increased 6%, compared to the estimate of 5.9%.

The monthly rates also came in hotter than expected, with headline and core CPI both rising 0.6%, compared to the estimates for a 0.4% increase on both measures.
Good morning, here's your friendly reminder that your wallet and your nuts are being kicked in by MMT and the Democrats, but no worries, it's "transitory",

ETA: The 10 yr treasury is about to blow through 2%, the fun is just beginning.
Clob94
Where is OP to explain to you how this is all going to be fixed by government expenditures?
DripAG08
AG
Only fix now is to raise rates and drive this SOB into a recession.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.