Comifornia banning small gas engines

4,191 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by FattyDelights
StandUpforAmerica
How long do you want to ignore this user?
rebag00 said:

torrid said:

They can take my lawnmower from my cold dead hand.
When do you think was the last time Gavin Newsom mowed his own lawn? These ****ing people don't give a **** about the landscapers and middle class who will bear the brunt of these laws. "Let them eat cake."
It used to be 'hands' but he lost one in a mowing accident.
lb3
AG
I converted all my echo lawn tools over to eGo. Couldn't be happier. The string trimmer is great and the blower is the best I've ever owned. But I'm keeping my Honda mower until it dies. I change oil on it every five years whether it needs it or not and it still starts first pull.

For residential use, battery power is superior to gas in almost every aspect. For commercial landscapers, this is going to be a mess. Batteries cycled 3 times per day may not last a full season and they aren't cheap. They will have to be kept under lock and key as lawn crews will start spending 25% of their time stealing batteries from other crews.
Get Off My Lawn
Burrus86 said:

California's new lawn trimmers and edgers...

Oh to be a lawnmower dealer in Ehrenberg or Yuma...
VitruvianAg
AG
Montgomery County, MD (DC suburbub) is also considering the policy.

Obstencivly for noise pollution, but we all know the real reason.
Cassius
Sid Farkas said:

They tried this a few years ago but backed off when powerful interests (ie left-wing latino activists) fought against it in representation of latin american landscapers who wouldve been impacted

it'll be interesting to see if it works this time

tbh, the most annoying sound in the world by far is emitted by gas powered leaf blowers

Your last paragraph, I agree ...

You know what's happened? The majority of folks now have their lawns done by the Hispanics during the week. Until covid, I was never exposed to it because I was at the office. But working from home now, I get exposed to it every day during the week just about because of those lawn crews.

It'll drive you crazy.
titan
S
AGHouston11 said:

I always thought it was funny the people passing the laws in that state live in multiple huge homes, huge yards, and have a dozen cars. The carbon footprint of one of these clowns is tremendous.

Cut emissions in CA by limiting to one house, less than 4,000 square feet, limit the lot size, and 1 car per person.

Once they do this then I'll believe they really believe what they say.

Ah, a general assets cap. Kind of like what should be done with national politicos and newsrooms overall.
FrioAg 00:
Leftist Democrats "have completely overplayed the Racism accusation. Honestly my first reaction when I hear it today is to assume bad intentions by the accuser, not the accused."
Boo Weekley
Is this true? Not that it matters, but damn, that just seems hard to believe to this layperson.

Quote:

Today, operating the best-selling gas-powered commercial leaf blower for one hour emits air pollutants comparable to driving a 2017 Toyota Camry from Los Angeles to Denver," said Assemblyman Berman. "Smog-forming emissions from small engines will surpass those from passenger vehicles this year.
Cassius
Boo Weekley said:

Is this true? Not that it matters, but damn, that just seems hard to believe to this layperson.

Quote:

Today, operating the best-selling gas-powered commercial leaf blower for one hour emits air pollutants comparable to driving a 2017 Toyota Camry from Los Angeles to Denver," said Assemblyman Berman. "Smog-forming emissions from small engines will surpass those from passenger vehicles this year.

As far as NOx, probably. Cars have catalytic converters. Otoh, they produce more CO2.
torrid
AG
Great, now all my lawn implements can be coal-powered too.
swagfan
If nothing else, California is quality entertainment.
doubledog
itsyourboypookie said:

'Emissions free' because electricity is emissions free

https://californiaglobe.com/section-2/bill-that-would-ban-sales-of-new-small-gas-powered-engine-machines-introduced-in-assembly/?fbclid=IwAR2jWMemlm5lqrbfQme6iGqycm2fvPMoKXK0J3Y9h1TeA6bAMgDNO23G1Qw
In other news, CA man invents fart powered lawnmower (at least that is what he told the state inspectors).

YouBet
AG
Sid Farkas said:

They tried this a few years ago but backed off when powerful interests (ie left-wing latino activists) fought against it in representation of latin american landscapers who wouldve been impacted

it'll be interesting to see if it works this time

tbh, the most annoying sound in the world by far is emitted by gas powered leaf blowers
California is top 3 dumbest state in the country but much of me is sympathetic to outright banning gas powered leaf blowers. They are a noise pollution curse on humanity.

We've actually had a vacation practically ruined because of f'ing blowers. Stayed at The Broadmoor once in Colorado Springs and two entire days we were there they were mowing and blowing almost the entirety of the day. You go there for the outdoors and you couldn't escape the noise. We had to leave the property to get away from it.

The first 4 years in our current house our neighbor across the street had her lawn crew at her house before 8 am on Saturday mornings. It got to the point where I was going to just walk across the street and talk to her about it, but she seems to have changed their schedule.
Cassius
Cali has refused to increase electricity capacity except for fantasy non renewables, and that's led to major blackouts the last several years. Now they want to increase demand.

This will be a disaster.

This is from the San Fran Chronical last month...

California's electricity prices are growing so high that they threaten the state's ability to convince enough people to ditch fossil fuel-powered cars and appliances, new research says.
buzzardb267
AG
When the nuts in California started all this with adopting their own emission standards, my Dad drove a diesel Mercedes. A guy approached him and wanted to buy it. After he told him it was not for sale, he asked why he wanted it. He bought them in Texas, drove them to California and sold them at a huge markup. Where there's a will, there's a way.
"ROGER - OUT"
Elephant Ghost
CA will be begging for small gas powered engines for rescue and short term survival after the Big One happens. It's only a matter of time.
Try plugging in a fire truck and extraction crew equipment.

Lots more tremors lately.
30wedge
Don't mow the yards, let the grass and weeds grow, then wither in the heat, and provide additional fuel for the wildfires. Makes perfect sense
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
California is the leading ag state in the union. It is not possible to farm without small engines. Hard stop. Period. This will be horrible for them
buzzardb267
AG
Ag_SGT said:

No way this will back fire during a forest fire. I'm sure those batteries will keep those chainsaws going when they are trying to create firebreaks
You underestimate the stupidity of government! We hosted a campground in WY, near the Gros Vente Wilderness. They had a fire break out in the wilderness and I had to evacuate the campground for a while. It finally burned itself out. The incident commander came by one day and told me they were going to send crews in to down the trees that were still smoldering and tamp them out to prevent the possibility of the fire starting up again. He said to warn my campers because they were going to dynamite them down. Seems they weren't allowed to take GAS POWERED chainsaws into wilderness areas. I spent way too much time trying to explain why the campers were being subjected to the loud explosions echoing down the canyon.
"ROGER - OUT"
Ag_SGT
AG
Quote:

You underestimate the stupidity of government!
I'm a federal employee, I'd never underestimate the stupidity of government
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Ben Franklin
buzzardb267
AG
I worked for feds, city, state, Army....I feel your pain!
"ROGER - OUT"
FattyDelights
PLUM LOCO said:

They already cannot provide electricity to its citizens now.

Have everything run on electricity and watch their economy crash.

Neither can we.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.