COVID 3rd deadliest event in US History

4,678 Views | 85 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Sims
yawny06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

It's sad seeing an entire political party try so hard to downplay them like they dont matter.
Posts like this make me chuckle.

Remind me, to which political party does the New York state governor belong? You know, the one who took actions based on how bad it would make President Trump look instead of what would have the best medical outcomes?

P.U.T.U
AG
The spoon, knife, and fork are still by far the most dangerous things to present day Americans. You can thank the food pyramid largely for that
barbacoa taco
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

larry culpepper said:

CanyonAg77 said:

Quote:

At the end of the day, that is 500k people who are dead.
99% of them would have been dead if COVID never existed. Probably would be Flu deaths.
except you are wrong and don't have a single iota of evidence to support this absurd claim.

Covid is more serious than the flu and Trump knew that a year ago.
https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6937a6.htm

Quote:

Influenza activity is currently low in the United States and globally.

...the percentage of U.S. respiratory specimens submitted for influenza testing that tested positive decreased from >20% to 2.3% and has remained at historically low interseasonal levels (0.2% versus 12%). Data from Southern Hemisphere countries also indicate little influenza activity.

Yes, the flu has decreased significantly. The error in what you said is that it would kill as many people as covid has. When it's been shown that covid is much more deadly than the flu.
barbacoa taco
AG
I think Cuomo is a pos too...

I'm just frustrated and disheartened that covid denial has become a mainstream GOP position.
CanyonAg77
AG
Well, if you call every death a COVID death, regardless of actual cause, it's going to be pretty damn deadly.

Hangnail got infected? COVID death!
30wedge
If the count was accurate, it would be only a small fraction of the 500,000, likely a very small fraction.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
larry culpepper said:

CanyonAg77 said:

Quote:

99% of them would have been dead if COVID never existed. Probably would be Flu deaths.
except you are wrong and don't have a single iota of evidence to support this absurd claim.

March 8, 2020, Fauci was still saying it wasn't a big deal, don't worry about masks.
zephyr88
AG
Good thing we don't have to worry about the "regular flu" anymore...

Here's a link to the CDC Flu website.
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/index.htm#ILIActivityMap

It doesn't take a genius to figure out what's going on here.
agracer
AG
Cassius said:

Keegan99 said:

* without normalizing for population, thus rendering it quantitatively meaningless

. Heart Disease has killed more than any of those. Pretty sure abortion is number 1 though.
fixer
Tramp96 said:

Roe vs. Wade: 61,000,000....and counting.

For the impaired that is 61 million.

Cnn doesn't have a counter for abortions.
BrokeAssAggie
This is a better representation

A_Gang_Ag_06
AG
Keegan99 said:

* without normalizing for population, thus rendering it quantitatively meaningless

Everyone with half a functioning brain had this same thought the minute they read this. It's sad that so many morons exist that won't get it.
JW
AG
Still too much traffic

DCAggie13y
AG
Infection_Ag11 said:

Misleading because they're using total deaths instead of breaking it down into seasonal and annual deaths, and they're also not correcting for population. Moreover comparing pandemic deaths to wartime deaths is completely meaningless.

What would the chart look like if we added obesity to it? Especially considering many COVID deaths were obesity related.
Line Ate Member
AG
Lol please explain to me how 750k people in 1860 compares to 500k in 2020.
AG
zephyr88 said:

Good thing we don't have to worry about the "regular flu" anymore...

Here's a link to the CDC Flu website.
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/index.htm#ILIActivityMap

It doesn't take a genius to figure out what's going on here.
Staggering depiction, thanks for that.
Get Off My Lawn
larry culpepper said:

CanyonAg77 said:

larry culpepper said:

CanyonAg77 said:

Quote:

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6937a6.htm

Quote:

Influenza activity is currently low in the United States and globally.

...the percentage of U.S. respiratory specimens submitted for influenza testing that tested positive decreased from >20% to 2.3% and has remained at historically low interseasonal levels (0.2% versus 12%). Data from Southern Hemisphere countries also indicate little influenza activity.

Yes, the flu has decreased significantly. The error in what you said is that it would kill as many people as covid has. When it's been shown that covid is much more deadly than the flu.
The Flu and Covid both cull from the same near-death population. When you look at "excess deaths" it appears that Covid is biting a bit deeper than the Flu, but in several years you should be able to compare 5 year aggregations and there won't be a ripple of difference between 2015-2019 and 2020-2024.
Cassius
larry culpepper said:

ABCDE said:

How many total deaths from all causes did we have in the U.S. in 2020 vs the prior 5 years?
posts like this make me chuckle. It's like you and people like you are working so hard to do everything you can to make it sound like covid is no big deal. When the numbers are presented you just respond with bUt PeOpLe DiE eVrYdAy. wHy ShUd I cArE.

At the end of the day, that is 500k people who are dead. Families who lost someone. Actual people with lives. It's sad seeing an entire political party try so hard to downplay them like they dont matter.

Also I dont understand (nor will I ever) why it's so hard to just admit this virus is a serious problem. A year ago people laughed at that notion, and now even after 500k Americans are dead people are playing the same tune. yeah, we know the vast majority of people survive. But you are also willfully ignorant if you think this virus is no different from the cold.

Whatever, I know I am not going to change your mind. It's just disgusting seeing stuff like this and the OP trying to start circle jerks about how covid is a hoax and all the numbers are fabricated just to get Trump out of office.

Edit: I got curious and checked. While the full data is not yet available, 2020 deaths are on track to surpass 2019 by at least 400k. On average deaths increase each year by 20k-50k. https://apnews.com/article/us-coronavirus-deaths-top-3-million-e2bc856b6ec45563b84ee2e87ae8d5e7

If only China Joe would hold China responsible, right?
beerad12man
AG
infinity ag said:

Keegan99 said:

It is not meaningless as a life lost is a life lost. Regardless of if was 1 life in 10 or 1 life in 100.

That said, both parameters are important. Normalizing gives you the magnitude in relation to the population and pleases statisticians, but raw count is more personal and is of concern to everyday people.
Well it certainly shouldn't be to the vast, vast majority. There are 7 billion people in the world, and 333 million in the US. If we tracked everything daily, and publicized it, you could be afraid of many things every year for the rest of your life rather than going out and living.

The world population is growing exponentially. the average age of death is minimally changed, if at all, by covid, throughout all of this. It's sad. I wish it didn't happen. Beyond that? Concern, devastation? Not the virus itself. The fallout from the stuff that came along with it is far more so devastating and a concern to some of us.
beerad12man
AG
larry culpepper said:

I'm just frustrated and disheartened that covid denial has become a mainstream GOP position.
The vast majority don't deny it. We just don't think life should have halted because of it. Hth
Stinky T
AG
Covid is just about done. Stupid comparisons to other historic events are nothing more than efforts, by those that are profiting off of fear, to keep it front and center in the minds of the not-so-bright.

Who gives a crap how it compares to deaths from the Civil War?
milner79
Well, I was slightly off. I guessed Civil War at Number 1.

But I had Being on Hiliary's bad side coming in second.

barbacoa taco
AG
beerad12man said:

larry culpepper said:

The vast majority don't deny it. We just don't think life should have halted because of it. Hth
Fair enough, but time and time again you see posts on here saying the death count is bull****
Stinky T
AG
milner79 said:

Well, I was slightly off. I guessed Civil War at Number 1.

But I had Being on Hiliary's bad side coming in second.

They all died "while" bring on her s-list, not "from" it.
Stinky T
AG
larry culpepper said:

beerad12man said:

larry culpepper said:

Fair enough, but time and time again you see posts on here saying the death count is bull****

Sure. And you see posts on here that claim every covid reported death is legitimate. Smart people know the truth lies somewhere in the middle of the extremes.
Line Ate Member
AG
I would be very careful about reporting any sort of "death" numbers for 2020. For example, I think the CDC just released the 2018 numbers. Who knows what changes were made from the initial report to the "finalized" form.
Agsrback12
Those libs with the Iraqi war count would have been screwed during the COVIDs.
Tom Doniphon
How many folks pass from cancer / heart disease annually?
HelloUncleNateFitch
Breaking news, Donald Trump got over 187,000% more votes than George Washington.
Tom Doniphon
larry culpepper said:

beerad12man said:

larry culpepper said:

Well, it is.

I've witnessed it firsthand... and while that's anecdotal, it's no doubt a wide spread issue that will continue until the CARES Act money is depleted.
One Louder
AG
Yall know where this is leading, right?

"One of the silver linings of Covid masking was a reduction in flu deaths. Knowing what we know, wouldn't it be the right thing to mask every flu season?"
AG
One Louder said:

Yall know where this is leading, right?

"One of the silver linings of Covid masking was a reduction in flu deaths. Knowing what we know, wouldn't it be the right thing to mask every flu season?"
This is what worries me.

beerad12man
AG
larry culpepper said:

beerad12man said:

larry culpepper said:

I agree that the comments about how 99% of the 500k would be dead by now are dumb. That's likely 5-10%, maybe 20%. But certainly not 99%.
Cassius
larry culpepper said:

beerad12man said:

larry culpepper said:

Stop your faux outrage. If you cared, you'd demand China be punished. Instead, China Joe, your president, has rewarded them handsomely. You don't give one flipping damn about a single covid death.
highvelocity
AG
the flu doesnt exist anymore, havent you heard!
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.