AOC Was Right All Along

8,527 Views | 90 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by bad_teammate
wyoag93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AggieDub14 said:

Salute The Marines said:

AggieDub14 said:

Salute The Marines said:

Our grid is anything but privatized.

We also simply can't plug into another grid and draw power for everyone. This isn't a daisy chained extension cord running 4 keurigs and a space heater at the office.

Your condescending oversimplification and complete lack of understanding of the 2nd part of my post is noted and entirely disingenuous.

I'm sorry I get physics and you don't.

I'm not suggesting we can just completely restore everyone's power with electricity from another area. But we could get some power from other parts of the country if the grid was set up that way which would result in less people without power. But our grid is only connected to the Eastern US grid and Mexico.

There is generation in West Texas that sells into ERCOT and SPP. In the current situation, it doesn't matter. Texas has plenty of generation that simply can't get back online until things stabilize. What makes you think SPP power is any different?
Redassag94
AG
She should go back to tending bar.
Predmid
AG
AggieDub14 said:

Every 10 years or so we have a big snow and the same issues happen. This feels worse than 2011. I understand that spending millions of dollars to save the grid for 1 week every 10 years isn't cost effective.

My real question is why are we completely disconnected from the Western US electrical grid? We could be getting power from New Mexico right now to help mitigate this issue.

A. We aren't completely isolated. We have several DC ties to the eastern and other power grids.

B. Transmission losses are a real thing. You can connect to the western grid all you want, but if the power is needed in Houston, San Antonio, Austin or other east half of texas city, the losses will make it so that you're not getting anywhere near the amount of power needed You'll burn up lines and overload the system and if you want total grid collapse, by all means try and supply the entire state from a singular DC interconnection tie.

C. There have been plans for more than a decade to create that exact connection, but with wind and solar pushing traditional power generators out of the market, there was no need for the interconnection. Yay for subsidies and tax credits further manipulating a not so free market.
mjschiller
AG
AOC is a Mao Communist. What do you expect.
Marvin J. Schiller
padreislandagfan
Good Poster said:

Straight from the horse's mouth.
Krazykat
AG
spaceaggie1975
AG
Never lost a second of electricity or water. I know I don't know the ansmwer but I am told that our electricity is based on coal power, one of them that Obama wasn't able to axe.
rackmonster
AG
Maroon Dawn said:

Yes...if only ALL our power was iced over windmills that don't work in snow storms...

[/eyeroll]
they iced over because, unlike the wind turbines in the 49 other states, they're not winterized. Texas was too cheap and too stupid to pay the few extra bucks to winterize them. hey..it never gets cold in Texas...until it does.

Texas was too stupid...too cheap...to winterize ANYTHING. the STP nuc reactor had to shut down because of frozen water lines to cool the reactor. Same thing happened ten years ago...but they never fixed it.
25 bucks of preventative maintenance.....just plain common sense...you couldn't do that..owning the libs was more important.

These are facts. and facts, unfortunately, have a Liberal Bias.

Teslag
AG
rackmonster said:

Maroon Dawn said:

Yes...if only ALL our power was iced over windmills that don't work in snow storms...

[/eyeroll]
they iced over because, unlike the wind turbines in the 49 other states, they're not winterized. Texas was too cheap and too stupid to pay the few extra bucks to winterize them. hey..it never gets cold in Texas...until it does.

Texas was too stupid...too cheap...to winterize ANYTHING. the STP nuc reactor had to shut down because of frozen water lines to cool the reactor. Same thing happened ten years ago...but they never fixed it.
25 bucks of preventative maintenance.....just plain common sense...you couldn't do that..owning the libs was more important.

Maybe we never should have built them to begin with and just used the money to winterize our previous infrastructure.

Would have been cheaper.
Predmid
AG
rackmonster said:

Maroon Dawn said:

[/eyeroll]

THE STATE OF TEXAS DOESN'T OWN OR BUILD POWER GENERATION.

Theyre all private companies.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
rackmonster said:

Maroon Dawn said:

[/eyeroll]

You again. Another pathetic gotcha attempt.

Typical Lib... blame everyone, ***** about things you know nothing about, and your solution is throwing (someone else's) money at it.

Things are in fact winterized. In fact some are shut down for the winter because of less demand. And the rest are winterized for what a typical winter over the last 100 years has been. Same thing in the north in reverse. They prepare for typical summers and when a massive heat wave hits they have massive power issues, rolling blackouts and people dying from heat. Weird I don't recall your rage and fury over those instances.

Here is what we had in DFW:

• Coldest 3-day stretch on record
  • Coldest temp in over 70 years and the 2nd coldest temp ever recorded in the D-FW area
  • 3 days in a row of record lows
  • 3 days of record cold high temperatures

Look up the word unprecedented and stfu.

bad_teammate
Salute The Marines said:

Maybe we never should have built them to begin with and just used the money to winterize our previous infrastructure.
The building of wind power isn't what prevented producers from winterizing.
Marcus Brutus
bad_teammate said:

Salute The Marines said:

The experts disagree with you.
anonymousAg05
AG
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/07/16/heat-wave-could-cause-power-outages-new-york-city-chicago-d-c/1749257001/

Now do this one. Be sure to include a liberal use of "stupid" for not being well prepared for 100 degree weather.
Teslag
AG
bad_teammate said:

Salute The Marines said:

Nope, but it would have saved us money. Money that could have been better spent elsewhere...
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Salute The Marines said:

bad_teammate said:

Salute The Marines said:

Nope, but it would have saved us money. Money that could have been better spent elsewhere...

They still would not have winterized to handle this level of freeze. Why? Because we've never had this level of sustained freezing temps, ice and snow.

Nobody designs and builds anything to survive a worst possible case. Because everything would cost 2x 3x maybe 5x. And nobody would approve it or pay it.

That includes for heat, cold, ice and snow, rain, hurricane force winds, tornados, landslides, fires, etc.

When something unprecedented happens systems will fail.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
I'd pay good money to see that little girl draped over her daddy's legs and whipped with a wooden spoon (the tools I'd rather see might get me a time-out so I'll go with the liberals' approved tool).
richardag
Good Poster said:

Just curious, Texas relies on ~ 20% of its energy from wind power, not including solar. How many States rely on more green energy not including hydroelectric.

I thought Texas at one point produced more electricity from wind than any other state.

If so wouldn't that kind of refute her contention?
Among the latter, under pretence of governing they have divided their nations into two classes, wolves and sheep.”
Thomas Jefferson, Letter to Edward Carrington, January 16, 1787
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

I'm calling bull***t on this.

Most of the wind turbines in Texas are along and north of I-20. Huge wind farms are north of I-40.

If you think that wind farms at 4500' MSL, with the turbines an additional 200 feet in the air, and north of Amarillo, don't ever plan for cold weather, I have beachfront property in Amarillo to sell you.
Predmid
AG
richardag said:

Good Poster said:

Just curious, Texas relies on ~ 20% of its energy from wind power, not including solar. How many States rely on more green energy not including hydroelectric.

I thought Texas at one point produced more electricity from wind than any other state.

If so wouldn't that kind of refute her contention?

Last I remember, Texas has as much wind energy capacity as the next 5 highest states combined.
TyHolden
AG
https://www.google.com/amp/s/theconversation.com/amp/solar-panels-in-sahara-could-boost-renewable-energy-but-damage-the-global-climate-heres-why-153992

On Apple News feed this morning....solar farms will increase global warming
bad_teammate
Salute The Marines said:

OK so you guys are just trolling? Wonderful admission.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.